Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th September 2016, 12:52   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Priya's VW Polo GT TSI!

OT but could not resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
This situation will only change if VW decides to locally manufacture a 5-door Polo with a 1.4 TSI or 1.8 TSI engine
Hypothetically, if they do that, the outcome would cost more than the Vento for sure with the additional cost of the 1.4 engine and the added taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
or if Fiat decides to plonk in an automatic tranny into its Abarth Punto.
That is like expecting Kumbhkaran to wake up on his own.
vinit.merchant is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 12:39   #92

Default Re: Priya's Polo GT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPower View Post
To be brutally honest the engine feels like it is doing what it is intended to, it does not stir your soul or cause you to fall madly in love with it. I never wanted to write this section till GTO hinted at my glaring omission. Yes the engine is perfect but it has no character, to be honest to myself Ive had more fun revving the pistons off on my Dad's Estilo.
[/i][/b]
THIS, THIS AND SO MUCH THIS!

So I just got done with my third test drive of the GT TSI, the final time that I was trying to convince myself of what I'd be missing if I didn't buy this car.

When I initially read the above comment a few months ago, I thought to myself, "What is this person on about?! How could you say such a thing!" It was an opinion completely contrary to everything else I'd read about how FUN the car is.

But having experienced it first hand, repeatedly, that comment just completely sums up my feelings about the car. It's really functional, well refined, and does its job really well. It does exactly what I ask it to. But it just doesn't excite me at all. I was honestly so much happier when I stepped back into my 2012 Ford Figo diesel because, despite being quite a bit slower, it is just so much more engaging to drive! I felt one with it since the first day. But I feel disconnected while driving the GT TSI.

This kinda goes against the grain of what most people say, but the GT TSI, to me, appeals more to the head than the heart. It's a sensible buy for a comfortable drive in the city, and occasionally ripping it on empty patches of road (but even doing that feels so...hollow! It just has no character!). To me the GT TSI is the topper of the class, whose face you see plastered on coaching class hoardings with 98% marks. A great performer, but eventually lacking some personality.

Maybe I love a good old-fashioned clutch and stick too much, but as much as my head is pushing me towards the GT TSI, my heart yearns for something more. Perhaps the new GT TDI is the answer. But what do I know. I thought the same thing about the TSI 3 months ago
zebanaff is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 15:59   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebanaff View Post
THIS, THIS AND SO MUCH THIS!

I hope you tried the S mode, kickdown and manual mode as well.

But, being a GT TSI owner myself, I can relate to your observations to some extent (though I find the car exciting myself)

I think the main thing is, even though it is turbo charged, the turbo lag is minimal and power delivery is linear. So the punch in the waist-snap your head back, acceleration is missing. More often than not, you need to see the speedometer to see how fast you are doing. It masks speed very well.

Another thing is, the engine on paper produces 105 BHP and 175 Nm of torque, which seems huge by small car standards. But guess what, for a car which weighs 1140 kg, it needs this kind of an engine.

One begins to realize that the engine is never too good for the car. The engine is what the car deserves, and nothing more. It has a Power/Weight ratio of 92 BHP/Ton. It reaches 0-100 in around 10-11 seconds. For reference, the Brio has 89 BHP/Ton. The Honda City has a faster 0-100 timing.

And, you should not expect it to sing like a NA petrol at 6k. All the grunt is between 2k to 5k. This turbo petrol is all about its mid-range grunt.

But having said all these, it will obliterate anything in its sight, in in-gear acceleration. Overtaking in S mode is a "Think it-do it" affair.

Last edited by rageshgr : 1st December 2016 at 16:10.
rageshgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 16:24   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post

But, being a GT TSI owner myself, I can relate to your observations to some extent (though I find the car exciting myself)
Yes I agree. In all likelihood I'll probably end up buying the TSI next month. No debating it's a great engine, despite a slight lack of character. The Octavia 1.8 is my dream car but just can't afford it. I guess owning the TSI will be good training!
zebanaff is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 12:11   #95
BHPian

I bought the Vento TSI DSG 4 months ago and have been driving it now for 12,500 kms on a mixture of highways and city. I used to own a Cruze LT before this.

Compared to the torque beast that the Cruze was, I agree the TSI is more refined. But the power delivery and the incredibly intelligent DSG make this car more fun for me to drive.

I used to own the classic zen, not the estillo. I personally feel the TSI is light years ahead in every aspect (no offence meant).

Overtaking is easy, and changing modes between Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (D mode and S mode) is enormously satisfying.

I have never looked back and absolutely love my car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rageshgr View Post

I think the main thing is, even though it is turbo charged, the turbo lag is minimal and power delivery is linear. So the punch in the waist-snap your head back, acceleration is missing. More often than not, you need to see the speedometer to see how fast you are doing. It masks speed very well.

Another thing is, the engine on paper produces 105 BHP and 175 Nm of torque, which seems huge by small car standards. But guess what, for a car which weighs 1140 kg, it needs this kind of an engine.

One begins to realize that the engine is never too good for the car. The engine is what the car deserves, and nothing more. It has a Power/Weight ratio of 92 BHP/Ton. It reaches 0-100 in around 10-11 seconds. For reference, the Brio has 89 BHP/Ton. The Honda City has a faster 0-100 timing.

And, you should not expect it to sing like a NA petrol at 6k. All the grunt is between 2k to 5k. This turbo petrol is all about its mid-range grunt.

But having said all these, it will obliterate anything in its sight, in in-gear acceleration. Overtaking in S mode is a "Think it-do it" affair.
Chrome6Boy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 14:33   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I bought the Vento TSI DSG 4 months ago and have been driving it now for 12,500 kms on a mixture of highways and city. I used to own a Cruze LT before this.

Compared to the torque beast that the Cruze was, I agree the TSI is more refined. But the power delivery and the incredibly intelligent DSG make this car more fun for me to drive.

I used to own the classic zen, not the estillo. I personally feel the TSI is light years ahead in every aspect (no offence meant).

Overtaking is easy, and changing modes between Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (D mode and S mode) is enormously satisfying.

I have never looked back and absolutely love my car!
Hey, we are quite similar as in we both drove Cruze earlier and now bought DSG petrols. I gave my beloved Cruze to my driver and bought a Octavia TSI DSG. Happy driving!
itwasntme is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote