Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th March 2016, 20:17   #46
BHPian

Default Re: My Tata Safari Storme VX 4x4 (400 Nm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
  • Its an SUV. Don't compare it with a car. Its got different dynamics. Within those rules, it has excellent dynamics with the steering now really direct and it feels like a point and shoot SUV. Something like what the Swift diesel is in the hatchback category.
  • Drive it normally and see how it performs. Don't try to manufacture sounds in the SUV by going to 4th gear at 10KMPH. It will then make all kinds of sounds.
  • There are no vibrations in the fitting on the inside and there is no crashing of the suspension on potholes. Its just wonderful thuds and the potholes are gone.
Thank you for mentioning these three important points in such a nice and practical manner. I really feel amused when Autocar India reviewers mention of body roll as something that would prevent you from being comfortable in your car when it is on a highway. How often do we take hairpin bends at 90kph on hill roads anyway? Most hill roads have speed limits below 50kph because they are narrow, single lane and steep. I've been inside a Safari just once and it was a very good experience, especially if you consider the price-Tata sells the base model at a price that is almost equal to that of a top model Etios and the contrast could not be more significant in terms of the passenger experience.
Another thing that I've observed is that most Safari owners are really good drivers. They won't honk/use dipper unnecessarily at night and you really feel like respecting and reciprocating their courtesy. Wishing you many happy kilometers in your new Storme.
Nissan1180 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 14:33   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats navpreet. This is undoubtedly the best safari ever. Kudos to Tata for putting in an updated power train with the 6-Speed Tranny. Hopefully, this will sway many fence sitters to Tata Safari Storme..
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 14:57   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanishphatak View Post
Nice Review of the new Storme
Feel like changing my storme to the new one.

Regarding the Dead pedal :

I have been using safari for over 8 yrs driven quite a lot..close to 1.4 lac km both my old 2.2 dicor and Storme (2013) never really felt that I need a dead pedal in on long drives. I think dead pedal is really needed for a sedan or small cars driving position is more inclined back. When one sits upright like in safari may be its not really needed.
Well I did feel the need for the dead pedal non the less. Maybe because of the length of my legs which weren't at a 90 degree angle. Also due to the shorter seat area of these new seats. In fact I had to stretch my left leg and press it hard against the angled floor ahead to reduce the slight pain that was starting to induce on the Yamuna Expressway on which there is zero clutch activity for those 2-2.5 hours in continuity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
Even though I haven't seen one of these in person, I really enjoyed the thread. Coming from you of all people, I believe this new Safari is no less fun than the earlier ones.

Thanks for posting this. Looking forward to a test drive now!
Oh yes its super fun. Just yesterday I was pulling an overtaking move on a car and I mashed the throttle in second gear. The road was inclined to the right a bit and the rear actually went out and then gently came back into place. I'm not into those antics but good to know that the throttle can lead to such experiences. Haha. Some people in Punjab are going to love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Thank you for mentioning these three important points in such a nice and practical manner............
Thank you for agreeing. It seems that now a days it is the norm to agree to disagree. People will compare an SUV to anything and everything available at its price point and below it. Be it a hatchback, sedan or a sports sedan. It is an SUV and there is no denying it and it is at a price point where it cannot be compared to a Q7 or a Cayenne for handling dynamics. I'd compare it to Scorpio, Fortuner etc. and those it surpasses.

Now the point which I'd like to see is the Longetivity of this suspension. How all these components fare with age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Congrats navpreet. This is undoubtedly the best safari ever. Kudos to Tata for putting in an updated power train with the 6-Speed Tranny. Hopefully, this will sway many fence sitters to Tata Safari Storme..
Absolutely the best Safari till date. Now the only thing remaining which haunts me is how this vehicle will age. I'm hoping my fears are put to rest with time.
My earlier experience with the safari has not exactly been good in terms of aging. Components used to age very very fast. Especially the suspension which needed a bushes change at every 6 months.
Also the interiors earlier were ill fitted and used to make a racket which increased with time to a level when I just lost all hope and ignored it.

1st Service Update:

The car was sent to Oberai Motors on 12th of March.
Following notes that I gave to the Service Adviser:
  • The gearbox is a bit notchy overall.
  • Clutch has been behaving a bit erratically with respect to feel. Sometimes it feels a slight bit springy.
  • Sound coming from the front seat. (Tak Tak) at every acceleration and deceleration/braking.
  • Sound coming from the overhead AC unit.
  • A vibration coming from the front left door at 2000rpm and 3000rpm.
Over a number of correspondences with the service adviser over phone, they then changed the gearbox oil. Filled it up to the required level after consultation with the plant. The clutch cylinders were also drained and refilled.

When I picked up the car in the evening all the things were complete. Just that the overhead AC sound was present which actually comes when the car has been standing in the sun. Seems they have not been able to identify the reasons for it yet.

The front left door vibrations have gone. The sound from the front seat has returned over the past few days. I have not had time to take it back to the service station to get it checked again. I feel it has something to do with the sheet metal frame which supports the seat.

The best of all was the gearbox which is now buttery smooth. Notchyness has gone down a lot. Clutch is also performing ok.

Front wipers were changed as a line of water was appearing when it was used.

Zero charge as it is under AMC.
Also I have been told by the service Team that since Tata Motors Recommends oils and oil filter to be changed at 10K kms for vehicles which are used extensively in Cities and Hills(Both of which are true in case of Dehradun), the oil changes will be more frequent and will be covered undet the AMC.
This above point is mentioned in the Service Booklet.

Overall I am very very satisfied with the service now. Full marks to Oberai Motors for that. Even though I haven't received the customary review call from Tata Motors. I am looking forward to more such satisfactory visits for the service in the future.

I would be repeating myself saying that now I am only looking forward to how the car ages and I do hope it ages well. For the price and the kind of comfort and usage it offers which I have experienced in my recent vacation roadtrip, I feel it is simply a great buy.

Oh and Behram Sir, Thanks! Hope you're planning to plonk that 6Speed Auto from the Xenon in the Storme too. Also I think this engine is not exactly at its peak right now. I remember that the old Freelander made 420Nm and I think some other iterations in the family make even more Nm. You've made us taste something too good at this price. I'm longing for more.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2016, 17:48   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Just yesterday, I was pulling an overtaking move on a car and I mashed the throttle in second gear. The road was inclined to the right a bit and the rear actually went out and then gently came back into place. I'm not into those antics but good to know that the throttle can lead to such experiences. Haha. Some people in Punjab are going to love it! 2. It is an SUV and there is no denying it and it is at a price point where it cannot be compared to a Q7 or a Cayenne for handling dynamics. I'd compare it to Scorpio, Fortuner etc. and those it surpasses. 3. The best of all was the gearbox which is now buttery smooth. Notchiness has gone down a lot. Clutch is also performing ok. Overall I am very very satisfied with the service now. Full marks to Oberai Motors for that. I am looking forward to more such satisfactory visits for the service in the future. 4. Oh and Behram Sir, Thanks! You've made us taste something too good at this price. I'm longing for more.
Dear Navpreet - thanks dude! . As usual, my reply is as follows:
1. There is this left-right-left-right sweeping curve after a tunnel going down Khambatki Ghat between Satara and Pune. I always enjoy this behaviour there, so I know exactly what you are talking about. More power? Oh come on now! So many people even outside Punjab are already enjoying it, I see them on the Pune Mumbai expressway every week, I dice with them in my super-cool Tata Bolt!
2. Drive the super-costly SUVs that you have mentioned, then compare! Do it, do it, let's see!
3. OK, good.
4. Well, umm, yes! You have tasted what I gave you, and at this price with 4WD, I know that the thing's a steal! I can understand you asking for more, this is the most important feedback you have given, it establishes the direction. By the way, I was made like this only, I love to challenge myself all the time, old habit will never die, you know! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 19:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Navpreet - thanks dude! . As usual, my reply is as follows:
1. There is this left-right-left-right sweeping curve after a tunnel going down Khambatki Ghat between Satara and Pune. I always enjoy this behaviour there, so I know exactly what you are talking about. More power? Oh come on now! So many people even outside Punjab are already enjoying it, I see them on the Pune Mumbai expressway every week, I dice with them in my super-cool Tata Bolt!
Yes Power is something that we will always yearn for more. Also the chassis feels like it can handle quite some power. I put it through its paces on a lonely winding road in Rajpur a couple of days back. And it handles very very well for its size and shape. The tires did not squeal no matter how hard I tried keeping my own heart in place. This is something that I read somewhere that this chassis treats these tires very well. These tires had earned a bad reputation at being low on grip and squealy when used in the older Safari, Scorpio and XUV. Surprisingly how much a chassis design can change the perception of an individual external component.[/b]

Quote:
2. Drive the super-costly SUVs that you have mentioned, then compare! Do it, do it, let's see!
Well, I was driven in and then drove a 4.2L Turbo Petrol Q7 which is 10 years old and has about a lakh KMS under its nose. Yes the owner, a friend still loves it. Its the top of the line version with all options ticked. Frankly that is something else. Its a lovely car to drive. Yes the feedback from the steering like all Audis is a bit of a damp squib. And those 20 inch wheels means it will be a bit of a jarring ride if on very bumpy road. But overall its a pleasure and the doors still close with thuds and nothing and I mean nothing rattles!

Unlike our 400 which has now turned the seat rattle very very irritating and then the overhead AC rattle when the car is hot becomes very irritating too! Then I had the chance to be driven in the car for a day at the back seat and I noticed that there is a peculiar sound which comes when going over bumps. Sounds like rubber rubbing on metal.(Can it be the spare tire?)

Overall the experience of the Q7 was delightful as always. Which is the same I get when I'm in the Strome 400. No doubt. The price factor will always be there.

If you ask me what I'd pick if offered for free? I'll Pick the Q7! SELL IT! Buy a Storme with a Gold 3 Year AMC and then keep the rest for buying a storme once the AMC is over every 3 years. Haha!

Quote:
3. OK, good.
Well the clutch as per my daily driving and feel has started getting a bit tighter. I mean Initially if you remember I told you it was half as light as my Swift Diesel. Now its gone a shade harder than the swift's.

Quote:
4. Well, umm, yes! You have tasted what I gave you, and at this price with 4WD, I know that the thing's a steal! I can understand you asking for more, this is the most important feedback you have given, it establishes the direction. By the way, I was made like this only, I love to challenge myself all the time, old habit will never die, you know! .
Yes in fact if you have something ready next year, well, we're all ears!
(We includes Mom, Dad, Wifey, Sister and our Dogs!)

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 1st April 2016 at 01:19. Reason: Please avoid replying in-line and use quote/unquote instead.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2016, 07:42   #51
Senior - BHPian

The second Service at 10K Kms was completed yesterday.

I had listed a number of irritating issues.
  • "Tak Tak" from the seat - Resolved.
  • Overhead AC squeaking - Resolved.
  • Some vibration due to wheel alignment - Resolved.
  • Brakes making a shrill whistle - Resolved.
  • Doors Crashing and Passenger Door sound/vibration - Resolved.
Other than this I asked for an Engine Oil and Oil filter change at 10K as per Tata norms of driving conditions. It was carried out as requested.

A gearbox check was asked for by Tata via a call and everything was as per Tata. I still find the first three gears a bit notchy. I'll be apprising them if it deteriorates further.

Now the bad part was that the vehicle was parked in 4H. This is one issue I'm frustrated at and I have conveyed the same to the dealership as well as Tata. Since the Strome has a LSD, 4WD just CANNOT be used on hard surfaces. I don't know when the staff (Especially the Cleaners and Drivers) will be taught this and also not to play with customer cars.

Overall I was pleased with the behavior of the staff as well as the mechanics. I was dropped home in a nice Nano(which is surprisingly spacey inside!) after I dropped the car at the service station.
The car was very clean outside and inside when I picked it up.

I Hope that Tata now strives hard to bring all elements together towards more improvement instead of getting complacent due to a customer who loves his car.

Here is the Invoice. Feels amazing to have Zero charge. Best feeling ever. (We are like this Only! Haha)

My Tata Safari Storme VX 4x4 (400 Nm)-image1.jpg
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 00:42   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Since the Strome has a LSD, 4WD just CANNOT be used on hard surfaces.
Hi Navpreet!

Hope you are continuing to enjoy your Storme. I just wanted to clarify that the problem with using 4WD options of Safari on hard surfaces is not because of the LSD on rear differential. The Safari's 4WD system lacks a Center Differential (CD) which would allow front and rear wheels to rotate at different speeds. Engaging 4WD without CD on hard surface causes stress on the transmission and can lead to breakdown. From my experience, the first to give way is the cross on front propeller shaft.

Eg: the Pajero has a CD selection which is why its 4WD can be kept engaged at all times.

Hope this information helps you have a better experience with your 4x4 Storme. Happy driving!
param22k is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 10:42   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The second Service at 10K Kms was completed yesterday.
No charges! I am like seriously.... like none at all! Wow!

Quote:
Now the bad part was that the vehicle was parked in 4H. This is one issue I'm frustrated at and I have conveyed the same to the dealership as well as Tata. Since the Strome has a LSD, 4WD just CANNOT be used on hard surfaces. I don't know when the staff (Especially the Cleaners and Drivers) will be taught this and also not to play with customer cars.
Truly sucks to have people working on your car who don't understand the implications of small things! And going by general behavior of ASC people irrespective of the brand, when they drive the cars in their servicing area, I bet it would not have been easier on the drive train either! I hope you mentioned the issue in the feedback form and they take notice of that!
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2016, 21:13   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Long time, no update. How is the Varicor 4X4 doing?
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2016, 11:06   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Long time, no update. How is the Varicor 4X4 doing?
Hi Sheel,

The 400 is torqueing around the city quite well. We're so used to the safari size that it is our daily drive in the city. Sprinting around every opening it gets.

There have been a few minor issues as well:
  • Sometimes Driver door not opening from inside.
  • Sometimes passenger door not opening from outside.
  • The seat has been making that "Tak Tak" sound occasionally.
Took it to the ASC. They used some regular tool based techniques and then some good old hammering and the doors started working properly for that time.
The problem resurfaced after a few days. Its more to do with the rains I think.

Other then that no rattles. Engine and drivetrain working like clockwork.
I must say the vehicle inspires a lot of confidence on the road in terms of handling and braking. Some extreme panic lane shifting and braking was so good I was smiling instead of being in a shock.

Oh and the torque pull is addictive.
How I wish I could share a drive with the good old Bawaji BD sir.

Cheers!
navpreet318 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016, 12:45   #56
BHPian

Hello Navpreet Sir!

Long time time no updates? Have been following your thread very closely.

Financial reasons have stopped me from acquiring my 400Nm, but hope and wish to do it soon .

Also what do you think about the Hexa? Would love to know your views.

Thanks
Rohan.
rosaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 11:55   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad to hear you are enjoying the car. I wish they launch a 4x4 Automatic soon with the 6-Speed Aria gearbox.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 19:11   #58
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

No updates as setting up the new work is taking all the time.
The car is performing flawlessly. It's my daily drive to work, to market, to departments, to bank. Everywhere. And its a pleasure how easy it is to handle due to its easy handling.
It's come back from its 20k kms service.

All fluids like engine oil, gear oil, axle oil, diff oil changed.
Filters like oil, air changed.
Brakes were making the whistling sound when used lightly. So they changed the brake pads.
The sound has come back again. Will get it checked when I get time to visit the dealership again.
Have asked them to make the side sticker available which they are working on or maybe have it in transit.

Alignment etc. was also done. I had complained about some extra vibration from the engine. They checked the mounts. The extra vibration is now gone.
Oh and zero billed amount due to the AMC is a great sight to behold.

Overall I'm really pleased.

Also an update on the 4x4 use. I just love it. There are some brilliant loose gravel and mud roads around Dehradun. Some are great tracks with log fast straights and then steep inclines and turns as well as slush thrown in for fun.
4H engaged and flat out runs and some nice high speed drifts. This is a rally car with very quick response from the steering for a SUV. Superb. And then the super steep climbs are done in 4L with zero accelerator input. Just love it crawling on its own.
Awesome fun!!

Hi Rohan,
The Hexa seems like a great vehicle. I can comment on it only after a thorough TD. It has the same engine so it should be a hoot to drive. Overtaking is fun in the storme 400.

4x4Addict,
Just hope they have 4x4 with the auto. It'll be so much more fun.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 15th November 2016 at 19:16.
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2017, 20:08   #59
Senior - BHPian

No updates as such and the truck has been doing what it is asked of day in and day out.

But I had to put this word in for this beast, the engineers who created it and BD sir who compelled and helped me buy this when I had actually lost hope to get one.

So its been a tough new year for us. Work on our new two wheeler dealership had been delayed due to numerous reasons and each day we are loosing potential earnings.
Then someone close in the family fell ill and passed away recently. Family comes first and since then it has been some 4 to 5 single day up and downs from Dehradun to Delhi and Meerut. In fact I'm heading there for another single day up and down tomorrow morning as well. Spot me!

The sole reason my wife and I have been able to do this so comfortably and at such a super pace is a real eye opener!

Comfort: The slightly stiffer suspension leads to less and controlled movement in the cabin. This leads to less fatigue. The fabric seats add a lot towards the comfort. I have always felt fabric to be better than PU or Leather. Especially in a climate like ours. The important point here is the seat cushioning. It just doesn't give away after hours of being seated.
The cabin noise filtering is another factor. As we grow older we realize the importance of "QUIET". And this is from a guy who used to have 3 Subwoofers in his car at one point of time. Haha.

Pace: The grunt that this engine has is something to be felt. I don't do mental three digit speeds. I just achieve low three digit speeds quickly after every slowdown. That in my opinion is the key to a fast pace. Just good average speed. This makes for a relaxing drive as I'm not worried gunning the vehicle at very high speeds to make up time. I just limit myself to 110-120 and reach there quickly.

Safety: I am amazed by how well the brakes work after hours of operation. And yes the rear disc brakes do make their presence felt.
Also another very important point in safety. The suspension and geometry of the chassis in handling emergency situations!
I literally did the Moose test on the road!
I was doing a decent 80 kmph when the car in front suddenly swerved to the left. There was a dead dog lying in the middle of the road which looked like a very recent hit. I just did not have the heart to run over him. I had a car on the left and and had no way to move other than to the right and a central divider was starting a few meters from the location of the dog. I could not brake as the car at the back was close to me and would have rear ended my car.
I swerved to the right and then a sudden left.
There was a lot of roll in the body but To my surprise the tires did not squeal and neither did I feel any wheel lift off and the rear stayed as planted as possible.
I am dead sure after driving quite a few cars that in most of them at this speed something would have definitely gone wrong.

I was stumped by the way it was handled! Kudos to the engineers who have done work on this chassis. It truly is remarkable. Had this been my last 3L safari I'm sure it would have toppled over.

There are issues and niggles but then there are some small things which make you safe and make you feel safe too. Like if the passenger gets off on the way to go to a shop, the door locks itself when it is closed so that no one can get an entry if the driver is not attentive. Something to be very wary of in the NCR and surrounding regions.

And then there are irritating niggles like the front window glasses not able to roll up and then get stuck in the front portion and the glass has to be guided to roll it up properly. This was an issue in the last safari and is an issue in this one too!
And then the AC fan in the dash which works in recirculating mode making and irritating noise when operated at a slow speed on 1 or 2.

There are niggles but I have never been this comfortable darting on the smooth highway or pummeling the bad roads at good speeds!

Thanks to this Storme my wife and I look forward to each drive with peace of mind.
navpreet318 is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 09:46   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And then there are irritating niggles like the front window glasses not able to roll up and then get stuck in the front portion and the glass has to be guided to roll it up properly. This was an issue in the last safari and is an issue in this one too!
Thanks to this Storme my wife and I look forward to each drive with peace of mind.
I like the way you pen down your experiences in your updates. Thank God that you (and your Storme) managed to pass the Moose test. I hope that I never have to take this test.

My Storme also developed the window(front passenger side) issue after being covered in snow for more than 40 hours in Manali. Though it does not get stuck completely and does not require any manual input, it still hesitates in going up all the way up. Will take it up with TASS whenever I am there.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote