Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th June 2017, 11:02   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Power corrupts! My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport. EDIT: 1 year & 16000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
So they installed wrong bumper during the denting painting work! I would expect guys who charge 50L+ for the vehicle would be more diligent!!

Rs.16315 is for all 4 brake-pads or just the rear 2? For the 1.8 TSi Laura. the front 2 cost 5126 and the rear 2 cost 3626. Also, in case of the TSI as well the rear wear out faster than front. So this seems to be independent of FWD or RWD. I am curious to know the reason for this especially on FWD cars. I saw a post that says "Cars with traction control are bound to have their rear brake pads shot too often if you drive them a little too hard" Ref: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post4150126 (E90 BMW 320d Rear Brake Pad Replacement)
No sure if its the wrong bumper as I was able to find only one part number for the M sport model and it matches with the VIN. Maybe the dealer is supposed to make the cut out. Either way I think I can forgive them as the 30d M sport is a very rare model in India atleast. But yeah as a customer you'd expect the service centre to know their cars and these things are supposed to be documented.

Rs. 16,315 is for the full set of 4 rear brake pads with wear sensor and connector. (13,700 for the pads and 2,600 for the sensor kit).

Don't know about your Laura but in my Laura the front brake pads wore out at 35,000 kms and the rears at 48,000 kms.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 11:07   #152
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Power corrupts! My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport. EDIT: 1 year & 16000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I did some research and realised that only the 30d engine comes with the auxilliary radiator and the 20d engine does without one.
That is probably a Intercooler and not a radiator. Do you have a schematic? Or you could just visually look at the plumbing from the so called radiator and see where it goes. If the pipe links to the turbo charger and goes back to the engine, you can be sure it is a IC. It might we hard to trace the plumbing as the bay is pretty much covered by the engine cover.

Not that it matters but I am sure there is a cost difference for the bumper with and without those perforations. Would this value reflect on the insurance claim?

Anyway; carving out the holes was probably a better bet than going back to BMW.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 11:15   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No sure if its the wrong bumper as I was able to find only one part number for the M sport model and it matches with the VIN. Maybe the dealer is supposed to make the cut out. Either way I think I can forgive them as the 30d M sport is a very rare model in India atleast. But yeah as a customer you'd expect the service centre to know their cars and these things are supposed to be documented.
There are 2 separate part numbers for the open and closed grill. Definitely an overlook on their part.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 11:22   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Rs. 16,315 is for the full set of 4 rear brake pads with wear sensor and connector. (13,700 for the pads and 2,600 for the sensor kit).
So it seems okay pricing (thought the sensor should be included or be reused - from good engineering point of view).

Quote:
Don't know about your Laura but in my Laura the front brake pads wore out at 35,000 kms and the rears at 48,000 kms.
If moralfiber's theory holds, then it comes down to "spirited driving" :-) though honestly, it came as a surprise to me and I will keep looking for a logical reason...
anandpadhye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2017, 11:37   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
That is probably a Intercooler and not a radiator. Do you have a schematic? Or you could just visually look at the plumbing from the so called radiator and see where it goes. If the pipe links to the turbo charger and goes back to the engine, you can be sure it is a IC. It might we hard to trace the plumbing as the bay is pretty much covered by the engine cover.

Not that it matters but I am sure there is a cost difference for the bumper with and without those perforations. Would this value reflect on the insurance claim?

Anyway; carving out the holes was probably a better bet than going back to BMW.
I dug out the part number. Here it is http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/17117823546. It is an additional radiator for the 30d and 35d models only.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2017, 11:18   #156
Senior - BHPian

Change to Tubeless Tyres

During one my recent journeys, the TPMS gave out a low pressure warning just a few kms to go before I reached my destination (end of 500 km trip). I immediately pulled over and checked pressure in all the tyres and indeed one of the tyres had lost almost all air. Pressure was something like 8 psi. I had reported earlier that the ABS based TPMS is not that good at detecting low pressures and on one earlier occasion it had not alerted me when the pressure dropped from 32 to 20 psi. I think it has to do with the fact that the RFTs do not lose shape despite losing good amount of air. I am sure the system is more effective with tubeless tyres.

I filled up air with the help of the Michelin inflator I always carry with me and completed the journey. Funnily the tyre did not lose pressure even a week after the incident (apparently the valve was defective). I was worried I might have damaged the tyre as I have no idea how long I drove on it in that deflated state. I was on the highway and for sure I was above 80 kph for the most part!

I decided I have to replace that tyre as I did not want to risk it, as there was a good chance the tyre was structurally weakened. And if I was going to change it, it made sense to change all tyres which had run 24k kms by now. Though the tread depth 'looked' good enough for another 3 or 4k kms, the grip levels had deteriorated. The rubber was down to its hard layer and ride quality was getting a bit jarring on bad roads.

I had decided I am going the tubeless way come tyre change time. I went to my usual tyre shop and enquired about options. I had looked up online and my options were Pirelli P7 Cinturato (tubeless version of the tyres currently on the car) , Pirelli P Zero and some Goodyear tyre.

I was keen on Pirell P Zero as the P7 Cinturato is more of an 'eco' tyre whereas the P Zero was an out and out performance tyre. My tyre guy gave me a new option - Conti Sports Contact 3. The Pirellis were priced around 25K per pc whereas the Contis were available at about 19K per pc. But online reviews of the Contis were not encouraging, so I decided to drop it.

It turned out the P Zeros that were available were actually Pirelli P Zero Rosso. This looked like a good balance between comfort and sportiness and an ideal choice. Went ahead and fixed it.

The tyres though the same size as stock (245/50/R18) actually look like they are a size wider. The stance has improved with the wider tyres and grip is just amazing. The rubber is fresh course so the tyres are dead silent too. But what is amazing is the ride quality. The X3 now just glides on the road and ride in comfort mode with adaptive dampers is simply stunning. No matter how good and improved RFTs are, for Indian roads, they just don't make sense. You have to pay too high a price (poor ride) for the convenience of driving 80 kms in case of a puncture. I carry a space saver + inflator with me at all times, so I don't have to suffer the RFTs any more. I would highly recommend BMW owners to switch to tubeless and enjoy their cars even more.

One other thing I noticed was that my RFTs had worn out very oddly. The centre rib had worn out almost down to the TWI, whereas the outer ribs had almost twice the depth. No, I don't overinflate and generally stick to 30 to 32 PSI city and about 34 PSI highway. I think the deteriorating grip levels were also due to this uneven wear. I hope I can get decent life with these tubeless tyres.

Centre rib worn out more than the sides

Power corrupts! My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport. EDIT: 1 year & 16000 km update-20170708_132252.jpg

Power corrupts! My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport. EDIT: 1 year & 16000 km update-20170708_132121.jpg

Tyres work really hard on this car

Power corrupts! My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport. EDIT: 1 year & 16000 km update-20170708_132458.jpg

The new P Zero Rossos

Power corrupts! My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport. EDIT: 1 year & 16000 km update-img_9263.jpg

Power corrupts! My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport. EDIT: 1 year & 16000 km update-img_9264.jpg

Power corrupts! My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport. EDIT: 1 year & 16000 km update-img_9270.jpg

Power corrupts! My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport. EDIT: 1 year & 16000 km update-img_9271.jpg

The improved stance

Power corrupts! My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport. EDIT: 1 year & 16000 km update-img_9267.jpg

Power corrupts! My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport. EDIT: 1 year & 16000 km update-img_9268.jpg

A parting shot...

Power corrupts! My BMW X3 xDrive30d M Sport. EDIT: 1 year & 16000 km update-img_9279.jpg
Santoshbhat is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote