Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 20th March 2016, 13:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Happiness is 'Doing Something Good' (DSG) : My Skoda Rapid TDI DSG in Black & White

Happy see to one more Rapid DSG on the forum. I always wanted to write an ownership review, but I have been lazy.
I am also interested in going for the paddle shift, let me know if you finalize something.
Sharing few pics of your car's cousin.
Attached Thumbnails
Happiness is 'Doing Something Good' (DSG) : My Skoda Rapid TDI DSG in Black & White-img_20150620_102529.jpg  

Happiness is 'Doing Something Good' (DSG) : My Skoda Rapid TDI DSG in Black & White-img_20150626_102403.jpg  

F150 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2016, 17:18   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Happiness is 'Doing Something Good' (DSG) : My Skoda Rapid TDI DSG in Black & White

Wow, the Red Rapid looks deadly,,

Got a Query,
My 2014 Elegance TDI does not have Rear Washer/Wiper, is there a way to fit the same?
Should be seamless with OEM fit and finish, Appreciate your response,

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Happy see to one more Rapid DSG on the forum. I always wanted to write an ownership review, but I have been lazy.
I am also interested in going for the paddle shift, let me know if you finalize something.
Hemant_Joshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 09:59   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemant_Joshi View Post
Congratulations, Welcome to the club Rapid, and Wish you lot's of happy mile munching.. Rapid for sure is a great car,,
My experience with VIIRAAJ Skoda - Pune, has been very good - both on the Sale and Service aspects,
Thanks Hemant. I had gone through your ownership review when I was researching for Rapid. It was from your thread that I came to know you had got the HID kit retrofitted from Viraaj Skoda at 12,500. The JMD dealership here in Mumbai was quoting 16,000 for the same. I am yet to get the HID's, but they are absolutely must. The stock headlights is ineffective on the highways.

Quote:
Have a question,
In the Pic - Steering Wheel, how come there are NO Audio/Phone controls,
My 2014 - Elegance TDI (Manual) has it,, wondering if this got removed from the top trim for Auto..
The steering mounted Audio/Phone controls are very much there. It can be clearly seen in the pic. Not sure how you missed it.

Quote:
Another query is, Do you get Rear Washer/Wiper?

I terribly miss this (got used to in my older car..) and couple of things present in the new model, Integrated Indicators in ORVM's, Auto dimming IRVM, I don't mind shedding some cash, if they retro fit these for me,,
Rear Waher / Wiper is meant for hatchback / notchbacks / SUV's only. I don't recollect any Sedan ever getting the rear washer / wiper. This is mainly because the aerodynamics in case of cars with a flat rear (i.e. Hatchbacks, SUV's) causes dirt to be deposited on the rear glass. Whereas a Sedan has a sloping rear and hence dirt doesn't gets deposited easily. Also it has to do with the feasibility. It is much easier to fit the rear wiper on the metal portion below the rear windscreen in a hatch than to fit after drilling a hole on the glass in case of sedan. Probably this explains how some notchbacks like Hyundai Accent Viva, Skoda Superb etc got them in the past. But from current generation models on sale, I do not see any Sedan or even Notchback with rear wipe & wash.

And with regards to your query on retro-fitting the new features. I don't think Skoda would be willing to do it and even in case they do, they will charge a bomb for it. Auto dimming mirror wouldn't be a difficult. You can check Gannu's DIY thread for installing Auto dimming mirror in his Polo. You can order the part online and get it done yourself or from some mechanic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
MadAbtCars
Did you do Sales in MBA?
Please tell me [and for the benefit of many others here], how did you sell the idea of going for a new car to your wife, when you already have a perfectly running car which still looks good and performs well?
Well, yes I have actually done my MBA in Sales & Marketing which also happens to be my profession ever since I started working. But that had nothing to do with me convincing wife about getting a new car. When it comes to getting something accepted by wife, neither there is any book which nor any person who can give that tutorial on how to go about it.

I did some emotional black mailing and made some sad and innocent face (for almost a month I think) before she accepted.

Quote:
Thanks F150. No plans to get the paddle shift in the very near future. Will surely update you in case I go for it. The cousin looks gorgeous in red. Sadly Skoda has discontinued this color. Had it been available, it would had been tough for me to choose between the red and white. I know for sure Wife & family would have persisted with the Red.

The DSG logo looks nice. From where did you get it? I also see that you got the black trunk spoiler as well. Looks fab. From where did you get it and how much did it hurt the pocket ? Any other mods / upgrades you have done ?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd March 2016 at 08:29. Reason: Typo.
MadAbtCars is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 10:33   #34
BHPian

Thanks MadAbtCars, Ya - I did see,
sorry, I might have referred to some other Image,, I had few other Rapid threads open.
I can see the logic behind rear wiper/washer,, but, I still feel its required - even for sedans, guess I will have to go without those,

For Rear view mirror with integrated blinkers and Auto dimming IRVM, am checking with the dealer here, If the price is reasonable, I would go for them,,
Old 21st March 2016, 14:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thank you all for the compliments !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post
Thanks F150. No plans to get the paddle shift in the very near future. Will surely update you in case I go for it. The cousin looks gorgeous in red.

The DSG logo looks nice. From where did you get it? I also see that you got the black trunk spoiler as well. Looks fab. From where did you get it and how much did it hurt the pocket ? Any other mods / upgrades you have done ?
Procured the logo from EBAY, it was shipped from CHINA. I think cost was 11 $ including shipping.

Bought the trunk spoiler from the dealer @ Rs 4500, I think this can be procured at a much lower cost.

No other mods done.

Audio has been upgraded as below.

Pioneer avh-x2790bt
Steering audio control adapter module.
Speakers and woofer carried over from my swift
- Illusion Electra Components
- GroundZero Sub
- JBL 4 channel AMP.

@ Hemant_Joshi - Keep me also updated about your discussion with dealer. I also get my car serviced at VIRAAJ SKODA, Wagholi. My car doesn't have rear washer and wiper.

Last edited by F150 : 21st March 2016 at 14:58.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2016, 16:47   #36
BHPian

Congratulations MadAbtCars. A grand purchase I must say. Wish you many happy miles and a steady relationship with the Rapid.
"I remember once upon a time, I always advocated that a real car needs to have three pedals. But it's ironical how perception changes time to time." I would say this is an apt way to describe most of us. Like you even I am getting a tendency to buy a automatic car now.
pduttaghy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2016, 12:51   #37
BHPian

Congrats MadabtCars. With the DSG and huge discounts on offer, Rapid is a good bet nowadays. Analogies of the car with Avatar are nice. (Toruk Makto was a bit stretching it, in my opinion ). Wish you loads of happy miles with Toruk.
Utopian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 11:57   #38
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride and for sharing this great post!

I'm currently drafting a post for my new Rapid 1.6 MPI, but you beat me to it!
dhruvhersh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 14:50   #39
BHPian

Hai MadAbtCars,
16 Grands is too much, they are fleecing You, What brand are they using? Genome ?

You can get a Philips KIT for 10K. I met a guy who runs this customization shop in Pune, who told me He can source a Philips kit and fit it for 10K.
This guy is an erstwhile Skoda (Asset Auto) service guy, and is very much aware of this dealer practice - scare off customer's about Warranty - If they choose to buy HID Kit outside,
I decided to be safe and went ahead with the Dealer to upgrade to HID..

Sometime later (right now planning for couple of other changes and am nearly broke ), I want to change my High beams to HID as well, I am thinking of going for Philips for my Low beam and change the current Genome to High beam..
Interestingly, when I casually spoke of this to the guy from the dealer, He Immediately offered me a discount and informed, He can fit the Genome kit - for my High beam for Rs.9,500/-, But, I want to go for Philips only....

So try to haggle hard, could save you few grands..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAbtCars View Post
Thanks Hemant. I had gone through your ownership review when I was researching for Rapid. It was from your thread that I came to know you had got the HID kit retrofitted from Viraaj Skoda at 12,500. The JMD dealership here in Mumbai was quoting 16,000 for the same. I am yet to get the HID's, but they are absolutely must. The stock headlights is ineffective on the highways.
Old 25th March 2016, 15:23   #40
BHPian

Hi F150, I checked on this with the Accessories guy at Viraaj Skoda, and was told, Skoda does not offer this at all and they cant retro-fit this,,
I think it can still be done outside, but, am wary off.. so dropping this from my list,

Quote:
@ Hemant_Joshi - Keep me also updated about your discussion with dealer. I also get my car serviced at VIRAAJ SKODA, Wagholi. My car doesn't have rear washer and wiper.
Hemant_Joshi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 15:42   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got a Query,
My 2014 Elegance TDI does not have Rear Washer/Wiper, is there a way to fit the same?
Related thread about rear wiper not required/available for sedans.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ot-sedans.html (Rear Wiper & Washer ? Why only on hatch backs and NOT on sedans?)
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 20:44   #42
BHPian

Thanks buddy, Interesting thread..
I do feel, it's cost cutting by Manufacturers which is the top most reason for skipping this feature on many cars,
From the logic that Hatches require it, and sedans can do without, why do we have MOST of Hatches also not having this unless it's top trim..

It's just cutting corners, I feel this is a useful feature..

Anyway, this item is off my list now..

Also,
I checked on replacing the IRVM to Auto dimming IRVM, and response from Viraaj SKODA, I will have to replace the entire Windscreen for that,, else, can't be done...I am shocked, how a simple thing like an IRVM is tied up with the Windscreen...

Next,
Checking on replacing ORVM's with the new one with Integrated indicators, is also NOT possible as per Viraaj SKODA,

So, Basically all items in my current wish list are not doable...
I don't want to approach outside Garages/ sources for those...
STUCK,

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Old 26th March 2016, 15:27   #43
BHPian

Congrats MadAbtCars for your new ride. A close friend bought it last and Oh Boy! the diesel and DSG combination is killer. I'm plannig one for myself this year as soon as I get some more Vitamin M during this appraisal.

As regards the difference in the paint finish, I think most of the other cars have it too and it shouldn't be a concern. I had once asked a mechanic about it and was told that its called a running board. As DWC correctly highlighted in his post, the idea of this is to protect the body from the everyday use on our roads. Since, that area is exposed to a lot of beating (stones, pebbles, dirt, slush, etc.) a normal paint will get damaged easily. Hence, the need.
MacBa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 20:53   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hai MadAbtCars,
I decided to be safe and went ahead with the Dealer to upgrade to HID..
Hi Hemant,

What did you upgrade ? Can you please post few pics ?

Quote:
Hi F150, I checked on this with the Accessories guy at Viraaj Skoda, and was told, Skoda does not offer this at all and they cant retro-fit this,,
I think it can still be done outside, but, am wary off.. so dropping this from my list,
That's very sad man ! Paddle shifts is on my list, but now itching to know about the headlight bulb upgrades that you both are discussing

Last edited by F150 : 28th March 2016 at 20:54.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 21:54   #45
BHPian

HI F150,
Sorry I don't have pics of the HID Upgrade,
I went with Dealer fitted GENOME HID Kit - cost me Rs.11,500/-
some time later, they offered me a discount to upgrade my Highbeam at Rs.9,500/-

This is dealer fitted, NO impact on Warranties - If You fit it from outside, they will crib about warranty and If shit happens, they may deny warranty benefits...

Next,
All 3 items in my to do list are OFF,
Back Washer/Wiper - Ruled out.
Auto Dimming IRVM - Per dealer - need to replace entire windshield for this - Ruled out
ORVM with Integrated Side Indicator - Per dealer - needs wiring changes and something to do with dimension differences in the new ORVM - will void warranty - Ruled out

I was very keen on the ORVM's, have to live with the current ones now..
atleast till my Warranty expires..

If a silly IRVM Update needs windshield change, I don't know about them agreeing for Paddle Shifters...

Quote:
Hi Hemant,

What did you upgrade ? Can you please post few pics ?

That's very sad man ! Paddle shifts is on my list, but now itching to know about the headlight bulb upgrades that you both are discussing