Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2016, 18:43   #46
BHPian
 
chase_nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 137
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: The White Scorpion - Fiat Abarth Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakul0888 View Post
Congrats on the scorpion.

I would say that with discounts you got on the car this is one sweeeeet deal. Almost as sweet as a 13 lakh laura tsi active. But do you think the overall package can be improved with a Free flow exhaust, better wider rubber and a short throw shifter? How about a BOV to hear that turbo noise as well? If you think about it these mods get rid of a lot of flaws of the abarth with the exception of the crap gearbox limiting the torque output. Thinking about buying an abarth and doing these mods have become an obsession for me now. What do you think? Got any idea how the car will fare with the mods and how much this would cost ?

Thanks nakul. The deal I was getting with the car was too tempting for me to refuse. Its not always that you get a car that costs more than 11.5 lakhs on road for just 10.5 lakhs. The mods that you mentioned sound really sweet however I am not really sure about the BOV. Those mods should make the Abarth a lot more meaner and iron out any flaws. Regarding the cost I have no clue.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
Congrats on the car Chase_nt and welcome to the Abarth club! Just completed 3.5k kms in mine and I can almost guarantee you that the throws become less rubbery as the kms pile up. I know I'm a minority but I just love the driving ergonomics of the car and actually prefer it over my Vento.
I agree with most of your views but it seems like you're not too happy with the car.. maybe you were expecting too much cause of the hype? Even I was not sure if I made the right decision(vs the GT TSI) for the first few days but the car just won me over! I'm so glad I got an explosive manual that I can enjoy thoroughly. Hope the same happens with you too. Drive the car more! :P

Thanks Suraj. Its gonna take quite a while for me to reach the 3.5k mark on my Abarth. It surely will be the most sparingly run Abarth on the forum. I WAS expecting too much especially after getting so accustomed (3 years) to the brilliant DSG while driving in the city. That said I am 100% happy to be a part of this exclusive club of Abarth Punto owners across the country. It's a decision that I do not regret
chase_nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 15:33   #47
BHPian
 
Waspune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 201
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: The White Scorpion - Fiat Abarth Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramr9 View Post
Also to throw in a word of caution, we all understand this is the same engine as that of the FIRE 1.4 that is practically abarthified and not the MultiAir version.
Brother, the Indian spec Abarth shares its heart with the first Punto Abarth that was launched in Europe in 2007.
Waspune is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2016, 19:09   #48
BHPian
 
chase_nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 137
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: The White Scorpion - Fiat Abarth Punto

Having owned this car for a little over a fortnight now I have to say that I am thoroughly satisfied with the car. The Abarth Punto just gets better every time you get behind the wheel. Its like a fine wine that gets better as it ages. I can only imagine how fulfilling this car would be once its fully run in. The issues with the seating and pedal position no longer seem to be irritants. It could be because I have got used to the car. City streets with their speed bumps, potholes and ruts are not a problem with this car. This is something that I never expected because the cars suspension has been tuned for handling. The car on the aforementioned roads feels very comfortable. In fact I feel that the comfort level from the Abarths suspension is a notch above the GT TSI. The seats with their ample amount of cushioning also help out a great deal. The cars engine seems to be getting more refined and potent as the miles keep adding to the odometer. The gear shift quality also seems to have improved with use Now that I've had the Abarth for a while I have also got the hang of trying to extract the power this beast provides in the best possible way and hence I no longer feel any inconvenience while driving in the city. If someone wants to purchase this car they should just follow their heart and go for it because at the end of the day this car only gets better and some of the irritants will feel like minor blemishes that do not assume the proportion of deal breakers. At the end of the day I am really happy to have such a powerful vehicle with a manual transmission. The level of engagement and satisfaction out of driving a powerful car with a manual transmission is not the same as driving a car with an automatic transmission no matter how powerful it might be I believe that purchasing the Abarth was one of the best decisions that I've made.
chase_nt is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2016, 15:07   #49
BHPian
 
blackwasp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 476
Thanked: 696 Times
Default

Thanks OP for the review. I've finally booked the car from Pune. Will be a white one.
blackwasp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2016, 06:38   #50
BHPian
 
firstguri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mohali
Posts: 339
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: The White Scorpion - Fiat Abarth Punto

Hey congratulations on your buy. I've stumbled upon your thread quite late! I own the car too, in fact mine was the first in entire North India. Took delivery on 4'th Dec'. Drove 7000 kms in two months (out of country since then). You've given a fair comparison between Abarth Punto and GT Tsi but I just wanted to comment on one thing. Abarth is fast in city too.. You just have to work the gearbox. And I believe since you drove an automatic for three years before, you're comparing the point and shoot capability of both cars. It's a lot more work in manual tranny compared to an auto box to achieve the same results and especially if the comparison includes the fastest shifting auto box in the world (DSG). Of course the long clutch and long throws of Abarth Punto don't help either. But believe me Abarth is fast, city or not and point and shoot is very much possible; in fact I would say not that difficult too with all that power and torque. You just need to get the feel of the engine and practice slick power shifting. It's not that much of a chore if you're used to driving manual boxes.
firstguri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2016, 09:04   #51
BHPian
 
chase_nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 137
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: The White Scorpion - Fiat Abarth Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
Hey congratulations on your buy. I've stumbled upon your thread quite late! I own the car too, in fact mine was the first in entire North India. Took delivery on 4'th Dec'. Drove 7000 kms in two months (out of country since then). You've given a fair comparison between Abarth Punto and GT Tsi but I just wanted to comment on one thing. Abarth is fast in city too.. You just have to work the gearbox. And I believe since you drove an automatic for three years before, you're comparing the point and shoot capability of both cars. It's a lot more work in manual tranny compared to an auto box to achieve the same results and especially if the comparison includes the fastest shifting auto box in the world (DSG). Of course the long clutch and long throws of Abarth Punto don't help either. But believe me Abarth is fast, city or not and point and shoot is very much possible; in fact I would say not that difficult too with all that power and torque. You just need to get the feel of the engine and practice slick power shifting. It's not that much of a chore if you're used to driving manual boxes.

Thanks buddy. You're absolutely right. The Abarth is not slow however it requires you to work the gearbox in order to extract the power especially on the crowded city roads. My drive is primarily within the city and having used the GT for 3 years i have gotten used to the DSG and the way it used to deliver power to the wheels. I've used manuals for several years before shifting to the GT TSI and the Abarth is the most powerful manual that i've owned to date. I feel that within the city the Abarth has excellent pick up in 1st and 2nd gears however if you are in say 3rd gear at around 30 km/hr and need to accelerate quickly the car is not eager unless you downshift. I had expected a 145 bhp car to be able to do that without the need of downshifting. In a similar situation in D mode the GT TSI will be in 3rd gear at 30 km/hr and it doesnt even downshift to provide that quick acceleration and the GT TSI is only 105 bhp. I know that these two cars are as different as salt and pepper owing to the differences in weight, transmission etc but i just expected a lot more convenience while driving a 145 bhp car in the city
chase_nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2016, 13:33   #52
BHPian
 
theredliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 436
Thanked: 715 Times
Default Re: The White Scorpion - Fiat Abarth Punto

Congrats on the car Nitin. This is one seriously hot car. Good to see you getting used to the flaws and enjoying it to the fullest now. I'm sure that if you go on a highway drive on the GT TSI a few months down the line, you'll find it to be a much much less of a drivers car. You'll definitely miss the 145 HP, the hydraulic steering, the powerful brakes, manual transmission, the stiff and sporty suspension. You'll definitely feel that the Abarth is indeed a good upgrade over the TSI as a driver's car. Have lakhs of happy km
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2016, 23:54   #53
BHPian
 
firstguri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mohali
Posts: 339
Thanked: 295 Times
Default Re: The White Scorpion - Fiat Abarth Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_nt View Post
I feel that within the city the Abarth has excellent pick up in 1st and 2nd gears however if you are in say 3rd gear at around 30 km/hr and need to accelerate quickly the car is not eager unless you downshift. In a similar situation in D mode the GT TSI will be in 3rd gear at 30 km/hr and it doesnt even downshift to provide that quick acceleration and the GT TSI is only 105 bhp.
The auto box in Tsi is a 7 speed one. The manual on Abarth is 5 speed! So again, comparison for third to third gear on both cars isn't on the same phase. You'll have to be in second gear at 30 km/h to get the kick. That's the advantage high geared auto boxes have. That's why I feel that the one thing that Abarth really should have had is a six speed manual. That would have pushed up cost and Fiat decided against it but IMHO it was really required.
firstguri is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 10:55   #54
BHPian
 
chase_nt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Visakhapatnam
Posts: 137
Thanked: 437 Times
Default Re: The White Scorpion - Fiat Abarth Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
The auto box in Tsi is a 7 speed one. The manual on Abarth is 5 speed! So again, comparison for third to third gear on both cars isn't on the same phase. You'll have to be in second gear at 30 km/h to get the kick. That's the advantage high geared auto boxes have. That's why I feel that the one thing that Abarth really should have had is a six speed manual. That would have pushed up cost and Fiat decided against it but IMHO it was really required.

A 6 speed manual would have taken the performance of the Abarth to another level and it would have been the icing on the cake. I'm sure that the 0-100 sprint would have been a bit faster with a 6 speed gearbox. Why Fiat why
chase_nt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2016, 19:34   #55
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 22
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: The White Scorpion - Fiat Abarth Punto

The city-friendliness of Abbie depends on practice. It is difficult initially, but once you get the up-/down-shift mojo right and contain the stinger a little bit to special occasions—striking out on a relatively clear road, seizing the chance to put a segments beyond faux-SUV to shame, then see him careen past you in white-hot, body-rolling fury as you slow down on purpose, only to see his children turn and point out your car to their parents in awe—it is then worth it.
nehaagg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 00:36   #56
BHPian
 
Waspune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 201
Thanked: 182 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehaagg View Post
The city-friendliness of Abbie depends on practice. It is difficult initially, but once you get the up-/down-shift mojo right and contain the stinger a little bit to special occasions—striking out on a relatively clear road, seizing the chance to put a segments beyond faux-SUV to shame, then see him careen past you in white-hot, body-rolling fury as you slow down on purpose, only to see his children turn and point out your car to their parents in awe—it is then worth it.
Very well said. It seems that you are enjoying your Fiat, or the Abarth to the core. Fiat cars in general are not an easy thing to drive until you have driven one before. I drive a 90 HP, and though the comparison is quite lame here, even I had problems earlier in tackling the famed turbo lag, but as I learnt the way to shift the gears at the right RPMs and keep the engine on the boil, it now feels a lot more agile and the turbo lag isn't a problem any more in the city drives. Yes it does require more gear shifts and the FE also takes a hit, but at the end of the day it's the wide grin in your face that matters

Last edited by Waspune : 26th April 2016 at 00:37.
Waspune is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 10:10   #57
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 22
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: The White Scorpion - Fiat Abarth Punto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Very well said. It seems that you are enjoying your Fiat, or the Abarth to the core. Fiat cars in general are not an easy thing to drive until you have driven one before. I drive a 90 HP, and though the comparison is quite lame here, even I had problems earlier in tackling the famed turbo lag, but as I learnt the way to shift the gears at the right RPMs and keep the engine on the boil, it now feels a lot more agile and the turbo lag isn't a problem any more in the city drives. Yes it does require more gear shifts and the FE also takes a hit, but at the end of the day it's the wide grin in your face that matters
I love the 90hp. In particular, the design and flair. There are many colour options and the diesel is so much more economical. I guess chrome is something that only the Italians can pull off. I wanted to replace the red on Abbie with the chrome fog lamp treatment, but changed my mind when I first saw it in the flesh. Also, I agree, the sheer sensory delight of the Punto comes with patience. There is a depth, a learning curve to the discovery, but then it becomes your own, and you can't drive anything else with the same grin.

Definitely not for those who have short attention spans.
nehaagg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 12:49   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: chennai/neyveli
Posts: 82
Thanked: 70 Times
Default Re: The White Scorpion - Fiat Abarth Punto

city driving isnt that difficult in abarth, first two gears are short anyway and there is not much turbo lag in those gears.Only when upshifted to third or above there is a perceptible lag and it requires working on gears.This is my view after coming from polo 1.2 tdi.The only sore point is that brakes feel too sharp sometimes and proper modulation is required to avoid someone banging to the rear.
nitninja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 17:06   #59
BHPian
 
Waspune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 201
Thanked: 182 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitninja View Post
city driving isnt that difficult in abarth, first two gears are short anyway and there is not much turbo lag in those gears.Only when upshifted to third or above there is a perceptible lag and it requires working on gears.This is my view after coming from polo 1.2 tdi.The only sore point is that brakes feel too sharp sometimes and proper modulation is required to avoid someone banging to the rear.
Yes it doesn't have much turbo lag but here the comparison is with the GT which in sports mode is more agile at least for a layman. But for someone who is a manual fanatic and has got used to the Fiat gearing, it shouldn't be a problem. Case in point is that the lag that you are talking about when you upshift to higher gears wouldn't exist if you are upshifting at around 2500-2700 RPMs thereby keeping it in the turbo zone. In fact it will give a push back feel and will zoom past the others. This would take more gear shifts and FE would also be affected.

In general the brakes in the Punto (even without the discs in the rear) are sharper than the segment which shouldn't be a sore point specially after getting used to the initial bite.
Waspune is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2016, 00:19   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 242
Thanked: 101 Times
Default

Excellent and an honest review, chase_nt. As a present owner of the GT tsi I read it with a lot of chuckling.

If anything, it'll surely keep the prospective buyer informed of what not to expect from the Abarth specced Punto.

I recently drove the poorest sibling of the Punto line up over a considerable distance and came away unimpressed.

The first thing the GT does to you is spoil you for ever by that DSG box. Nothing comes close. I call it the poor man's Audi! In fact I bought the GT after a great night drive of a Q3.

Punto's long throw, somewhat, rubbery stick shift with a fairly long travel of the clutch and a heavy (hydraulic) steering has told me one thing: all my future cars will be automatics. Maybe it's my age where I can divest myself of this need to be 'connected' to my car (nonsense?).

It's sad that a purported performance car should be given a compromised gear box. Perhaps it's not the gearbox alone but the turbo spooling at over 2000 rpm that spoils it further.

I'm sure the car will grow on you and I wish you many happy miles.

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 27th April 2016 at 00:25.
LithiumSunset is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Close Look: Fiat Punto Abarth. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 9.95 lakhs! sidindica The Indian Car Scene 867 25th October 2015 12:18
Fiat 500 US spec, 500C Abarth SS and Punto EVO Abarth SS revealed sidindica The International Automotive Scene 13 1st November 2013 12:15
Fiat Punto EVO Abarth sidindica The International Automotive Scene 23 11th March 2010 13:15
Fiat relaunches Abarth brand with the grande Punto Abarth himanshugoswami The International Automotive Scene 5 1st March 2007 14:16


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:53.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks