Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th April 2016, 21:12   #16
Team-BHP Support

Arrow Re: Driven: Mini Cooper S Convertible

Great work Suhaas!

I've never been a fan of the Mini convertible.
A FWD automatic convertible just doesn't appeal to me.

Did you get any reason on why they elected to leave the manual transmission out?

Last edited by aah78 : 8th April 2016 at 21:13.
aah78 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2016, 13:09   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Driven: Mini Cooper S Convertible

Thank you so much for the review.

But I genuinely believe BMW is losing it's way with this car.

The Original Mark 1 Mini sold for a base price of 497 pounds in 1959.

Adjusted for inflation, it comes down to 10,330 pounds in 2016.

In INR, its about 9.8 lakhs. And they are selling it for a whopping 34?

Does not make sense. Personally, they should get back to basics. They have all the R& D, all the brains in the world, and there is a great demand for cheap and cheerful fun cars. Especially in developing countries. Look at the MSIL Baleeno & Hyundai i20. I agree they are not in the 9-11 L price bracket, but manufacturing has come a long way. If Beemer wants, they can make a fantastic car at half the price. It would completely shake up the market.

If Bentely and RR can make SUV's, why can't BMW make a mass hatch for the youth?
shivs2003 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2016, 15:07   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aah78 View Post
Great work Suhaas!

I've never been a fan of the Mini convertible.
A FWD automatic convertible just doesn't appeal to me.

Did you get any reason on why they elected to leave the manual transmission out?
Thanks!

Personally, I'd take the hatchback for the fear of being publicly emasculated

Unfortunately, the demand for cars with MTs is zilch. Majority of the people who spend big bucks on cars generally prefer to have it with an AT. Let's hope they bring a limited run of the JCW with a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivs2003 View Post
Thank you so much for the review.

But I genuinely believe BMW is losing it's way with this car.

The Original Mark 1 Mini sold for a base price of 497 pounds in 1959.

Adjusted for inflation, it comes down to 10,330 pounds in 2016.

In INR, its about 9.8 lakhs. And they are selling it for a whopping 34?

Does not make sense. Personally, they should get back to basics. They have all the R& D, all the brains in the world, and there is a great demand for cheap and cheerful fun cars. Especially in developing countries. Look at the MSIL Baleeno & Hyundai i20. I agree they are not in the 9-11 L price bracket, but manufacturing has come a long way. If Beemer wants, they can make a fantastic car at half the price. It would completely shake up the market.

If Bentely and RR can make SUV's, why can't BMW make a mass hatch for the youth?
I agree with you to an extent.

The thing is, 35 lakhs is the ex-showroom price of the car and because it's a CBU (Completely Built Unit - Import) it attracts nearly 200% duties and that's the reason why the price seems preposterously inflated.

The Mini One (which is in many ways the spiritual successor to the original Mark-I Mini) starts at 14,000 Pounds and that really isn't much.

But I do understand where you're coming from, and that's a good idea. IMO, the current Mini is a tad too expensive and perhaps a bit too large for its own shoes.
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2016, 15:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

The thing is, 35 lakhs is the ex-showroom price of the car and because it's a CBU (Completely Built Unit - Import) it attracts nearly 200% duties and that's the reason why the price seems preposterously inflated.

The Mini One (which is in many ways the spiritual successor to the original Mark-I Mini) starts at 14,000 Pounds and that really isn't much.

But I do understand where you're coming from, and that's a good idea. IMO, the current Mini is a tad too expensive and perhaps a bit too large for its own shoes.
Actually considering the invoice price of the car is 13lac odd, 35 ex showroom is a very decent price. Zauba returns the following:

Quote:
6-Apr-2016 87032391 MINI COOPER S CABRIO RHD CHASSIS NO.WMWWG72020 3A79164ENGINE NO.F609H152 NEW MOTOR CAR PETROL VERSION 1998CC Germany Chennai Sea UNT 1 1,384,356 1,384,356
Wonder why the invoice value of this car is so high - just doesn't make sense. Taxes are on the invoice value and as a result the high cost. On transfer pricing, this should be no more than 7-8 lacs.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 12th April 2016 at 15:15.
reignofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2016, 15:21   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Thanks!

Personally, I'd take the hatchback for the fear of being publicly emasculated

Unfortunately, the demand for cars with MTs is zilch. Majority of the people who spend big bucks on cars generally prefer to have it with an AT. Let's hope they bring a limited run of the JCW with a manual.

The CBU route is what creates the huge price tag. Agreed.

But if BMW were to ponder on returning to the absolute roots with their design i think it would be a great idea to manufacture in the emerging markets.

The original mini mk 1 had a wheelbase of 2035 mm vs. 2470 mm in the mini one.

The original mini mk 1 had a length of 3054 mm vs. 3630 mm in the mini one.

The concept of a light vehicle with a peppy turbo engine (petrol or even an oil burner), is very much in.

Countries in SE Asia & India/Brazil have always have had tremendous small car sales.

BMW should take ist manufacturing prowess, couple it with the sure shot/bullet-proof design of the Mini MK1/2 and relaunch the same as the affordable icon it has been.

My gut feeling is, the youth will jump at the opportunity!
shivs2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2016, 15:31   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Actually considering the invoice price of the car is 13lac odd, 35 ex showroom is a very decent price. Zauba returns the following:

Wonder why the invoice value of this car is so high - just doesn't make sense. Taxes are on the invoice value and as a result the high cost. On transfer pricing, this should be no more than 7-8 lacs.
35 lakhs is the introductory price of the car - incidentally the same price-tag it worse when it was launched a few years ago. I remember one of the big-wigs at the press-conference saying that this is an introductory price and one should expect a hike in the coming months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivs2003 View Post
The CBU route is what creates the huge price tag. Agreed.

But if BMW were to ponder on returning to the absolute roots with their design i think it would be a great idea to manufacture in the emerging markets.

The original mini mk 1 had a wheelbase of 2035 mm vs. 2470 mm in the mini one.

The original mini mk 1 had a length of 3054 mm vs. 3630 mm in the mini one.

The concept of a light vehicle with a peppy turbo engine (petrol or even an oil burner), is very much in.

Countries in SE Asia & India/Brazil have always have had tremendous small car sales.

BMW should take ist manufacturing prowess, couple it with the sure shot/bullet-proof design of the Mini MK1/2 and relaunch the same as the affordable icon it has been.

My gut feeling is, the youth will jump at the opportunity!
You're on to something!

But I must weigh in here. The Mini still falls in the 'supermini' category. Which means it's still a very small car by today's automobile standards.

I'm afraid a car with the dimensions of the old Mini would fail pretty much every single crash test and would not meet the safety requirements employed by the regulatory-bodies / authorities today.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2016, 17:05   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But if BMW were to ponder on returning to the absolute roots with their design I think it would be a great idea to manufacture in the emerging markets.
Top sellers in India are from Maruti / Hyundai which will average out at what - 7-8 Lac Max so we have a market where 80 to 90 % of business is with cars less than 10 Lac and even for the cars at less than 10 lac there are about 35-40 % of Government Taxes by way of Excise and VAT that take Ex-Manufacturer prices even lower.

So what's missing is Numbers in higher segment , BMW or Other Luxury car makers have almost negligible localisation and this is due to numbers , who will invest in tools and dies for so low volume unless they can find vendors who can meet global demand , there are few such vendors but very limited as of now and they end up buying most of the things from their parent company so even if they produce locally it will be still more of assembly unit and they will save essentially on Custom duties only. In future, unless we see an increase in buying power by masses , no luxury car maker can afford to price these stuff lower on the contrary we might actually see prices going up if present single or low double digit growth continues in this segment.

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th April 2016 at 17:25.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 12:32   #23
BHPian

I was pretty surprised to see this on Amazon!

http://www.amazon.in/b/ref=auto_mini...f_rd_i=desktop
The Rationalist is offline   Reply With Quote