Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th November 2016, 10:56   #61
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Our 2016 Glistening Grey Maruti WagonR VXi - Waggy® meets Dizzy®

On the ICE front:
It was becoming a pain carry CD's in the car for music, so I was looking for a something simpler - the USB pen drive. But I did not like the pen drives jutting out of the HU, even the smaller ones weren't really that small as they would still extend outwards and be visible.
Then, I came across the Ultra Fit 32GB USB 3.0 Pen drive and ordered one from Amazon.

32GB Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Pen Drive (Image courtesy:Amazon.in)
Name:  32gb ultra fit.jpg
Views: 987
Size:  31.0 KB

This pen drive fits so flush into the USB port that it's barely visible, the only giveaway is from the driver's side where you can see that the Plastic flap covering USB and Aux Ports is slightly ajar. It's not even that apparent from the Passenger side.

View from Driver side
Name:  UltFit USBdriver side view.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  91.9 KB

View from Passenger side
Name:  UltFit USBpassenger side view.jpg
Views: 993
Size:  92.3 KB

So that took care of the aesthetic aspect, but what about the music itself ?

I thought once the music from several CD's was copied to the pen drive, we're all set, so took the pen drive to the car to test it and voila, it failed the first simple test - folders were not playing in the alphabetical order in which they appear when browsing the drive on Windows or Mac!

I could not figure out the order in which it was playing the folders (all folders were named with numeric prefixes like "01", "02",...), it was neither alphabetical nor the reverse alphabetical order. This seemed weird since folders had the numeric prefix so I was really not expecting this. Googled about this and I get @saket77's thread on Team BHP in the search result.
Ah, there we go, this is a known problem after all. Seems like the "creation timestamp" of the folders was causing this behavior. Before using any tools like FAT Sorter, etc I wanted to give it another shot with a quick & dirty (but slow) attempt.
Deleted all folders on the drive and copied one folder at a time in the order I'd numbered them ("01.." first, then "02..." next and so on).
Tested again in the car and yes the folder order problem was solved but...it failed to play the tracks/songs in the order I'd wanted. Especially one folder where I like to listen to the songs in a specific order, I'd even named the files with the numeric prefixes yet it was't playing them in order (it was again using the create timestamp which was causing this).

More googling, and found that a command called "touch" that works on Windows and Linux/Unix can be used to modify the create and modify timestamps on files. Ran this command against the files in that particular folder (needless to say, took a backup before doing this) and all is well, finally.
Now, all the files in that folder share the same create & modified timestamps so the HU is forced to play them in the alphabetical sort order.

**I think the step where I copied the folders one by one (in the order I wanted them to play) is actually unnecessary and the same trick of using the "touch" command can be applied to folders as well, so it will be much simpler that way.

NOTE:The WagonR's Music System is the Nippon Maruti NC67L1 and the instruction manual does not mention that the play order is based on create date/timestamp. It only mentions with an example how files will be played where there is a multi folder hierarchy (even that is actually based on create date/timestamp as I found out!)

Last edited by NPV : 25th November 2016 at 11:16.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2017, 12:08   #62
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Update: Wheel alignment, Balancing and Tyre Rotation @5000Km

With just the minimal city duties, Waggy®'s Odo isn't making great progress these days, so finally when it came close to the 5000Km mark I took it to Madhus Enterprises for wheel alignment, balancing and rotation. There was a nail in one of the tyres but was a very short one so no puncture and there wasn't any loss in tyre pressure.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 10:57   #63
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Last week was a 'milestone' week with the Waggy®'s Odo touching the 5000Km mark. Coincidentally, the Aviator's Odo also reached the 5000Km mark the same day (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post4132406 (Ownership Review: Honda Aviator (Pearl Sunbeam White)))

No other issues, etc to report for now. Next free inspection (service) is for the 10,000Km interval in March this year but the car is not going to be anywhere close to that 10k mark

Last edited by NPV : 23rd January 2017 at 10:59.
Old 21st March 2017, 20:56   #64
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Third Free Service/Inspection (10,0000Km / 1 year) Update:
An experience very similar to the other free services.

Booked an appointment for 9am at Pratham, Queens Road for the service.
I reached the place around 9:30am due to a late start. Job card was done pretty quickly, only asked to:
1. Check a sound coming from the front left (passenger side) wheel well/suspension that we'd heard a few times in the mornings at low speeds when steering moves to left or right and also when reversing the car.

Accompanied the Service Advisor (SA) on a 3-4 Km drive to a residential locality where decibel levels were low, but we could not simulate the problem. It was attributed to possibility of mud/dirt in the wheel well/suspension and was to be taken care of during the pressure wash.

SA mentioned that Engine Oil, Oil Filter and Cabin Air (AC) Filter needs replacement in this service. Declined Cabin Air Filter since it was fixed during second free service at 3500Km in September 2016 and now Odometer was at 5600Km. SA asked if I'd like to go with Synthetic Engine Oil which I again declined and opted for the regular Mineral type.

I decided to wait at their Customer lounge and pick up the car when ready, was promised a 2pm delivery.

The car was ready at 1:15pm itself (SA attributed lesser number of vehicles for service to school exams that are currently in progress!)

Total cost:Rs.930 for Engine Oil (2.9 litres of Maruti MGO/Castrol 5W30) & Oil Filter, there were no other charges for service/consumables/labour, etc

*The sound from passenger side wheel is gone, so I'd like to believe it was indeed some dirt/mud.

The SA also mentioned that if it were to crop up again, he would come down to my home early morning on a weekend to see if it was something else that presents itself when engine/tyres are cold. This was very reassuring to hear, pretty happy with these guys so far during the warranty/free services.

The car has done just 5600Km in a year, way less than what I'd intended to, primarily due to commitments on work and home front and the fact that we preferred the Dzire for all long highway runs (it also has the FasTag, so it is the default choice almost always!).

Last edited by NPV : 21st March 2017 at 21:23.
Old 27th March 2017, 23:18   #65
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

After a long gap, Waggy® got a chance to flex her muscles and taste the highway

We had an event to attend in Mysore on Sunday and did a day trip.
Decided to take the Wagon R, so that it gets a highway run. We had another car for company with some more folks. Unlike our usual trips, we had to start a bit late so as to reach Mysore around 10-10:30am. Being a larger group, decided to take the Mysore Road NH275 (erstwhile SH17) as there would be more options for breaks en route. Working backwards based on a pessimistic estimate, we decided 6:15am would be fine. For nostalgia sake, we had Kadambam, Channapatna on our mind as the breakfast stop.

Reached Kadambam around 7:45am, morning traffic all the way till there was manageable, most painful was the Nayandahalli-Kengeri stretch with the Metro Rail work in progress. Kadambam is just an average place now, not like how it was some years ago. I think there are much better options on this route now.

With traffic being low after Kengeri, kept to a decent 75-80kmph cruising speed most of the journey except when nearing, traversing and exiting the towns on the way.

Started after breakfast around 8:20am and still managed to reach near the Mysore bus stand by 9:45am.

Completed our work in Mysore by 4:30pm and was in two minds on the route to take. With children and seniors traveling, we finally decided to give preference for options to break en route and decided to take the same route again (I thought it would be dreadful!).

We finally started around 4:45pm and managed to make decent progress till Bidadi. Traffic wasn't dense but there would be the sudden cluster of vehicles keeping to a speed range and going in a virtual convoy. Since I preferred to cruise around 80kmph most of the time, kind of had a free run since the faster vehicles would zoom past us and exit the next town just as we reached the signal. Not being at the tail of cars at the signal, we would exit pretty quickly before the next bunch of cars overtook us. This worked beautifully till Bidadi where we had a longish 5-6 minute wait. After Bidadi, traffic got much denser and speeds dropped to 50-60kmph. Near the NICE road junction around 7:15pm, traffic almost came to a standstill, so we decided to take NICE Road and avoid going via the CBD part of the city.
Turned out to be a great decision as we exited at Hosur Road in good time (again did not exceed 80kmph). The 3 signals on Hosur Road did not delay us much and we were in Indiranagar by 8:15pm. Even Koramangala was manageable and the slowest was in fact 100 feet Road in Indiranagar where it was a C-R-A-W-L!

Calculated FE and found it to be roughly about 15kmpl.

In the end, it wasn't a horrendous Sunday evening drive on Mysore Road

Hoping we can do more such short trips in the coming months.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th March 2017 at 10:15.