Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th November 2016, 10:56   #61
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Our 2016 Glistening Grey Maruti WagonR VXi - Waggy® meets Dizzy®

On the ICE front:
It was becoming a pain carry CD's in the car for music, so I was looking for a something simpler - the USB pen drive. But I did not like the pen drives jutting out of the HU, even the smaller ones weren't really that small as they would still extend outwards and be visible.
Then, I came across the Ultra Fit 32GB USB 3.0 Pen drive and ordered one from Amazon.

32GB Ultra Fit USB 3.0 Pen Drive (Image courtesy:Amazon.in)
Name:  32gb ultra fit.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  31.0 KB

This pen drive fits so flush into the USB port that it's barely visible, the only giveaway is from the driver's side where you can see that the Plastic flap covering USB and Aux Ports is slightly ajar. It's not even that apparent from the Passenger side.

View from Driver side
Name:  UltFit USBdriver side view.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  91.9 KB

View from Passenger side
Name:  UltFit USBpassenger side view.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  92.3 KB

So that took care of the aesthetic aspect, but what about the music itself ?

I thought once the music from several CD's was copied to the pen drive, we're all set, so took the pen drive to the car to test it and voila, it failed the first simple test - folders were not playing in the alphabetical order in which they appear when browsing the drive on Windows or Mac!

I could not figure out the order in which it was playing the folders (all folders were named with numeric prefixes like "01", "02",...), it was neither alphabetical nor the reverse alphabetical order. This seemed weird since folders had the numeric prefix so I was really not expecting this. Googled about this and I get @saket77's thread on Team BHP in the search result.
Ah, there we go, this is a known problem after all. Seems like the "creation timestamp" of the folders was causing this behavior. Before using any tools like FAT Sorter, etc I wanted to give it another shot with a quick & dirty (but slow) attempt.
Deleted all folders on the drive and copied one folder at a time in the order I'd numbered them ("01.." first, then "02..." next and so on).
Tested again in the car and yes the folder order problem was solved but...it failed to play the tracks/songs in the order I'd wanted. Especially one folder where I like to listen to the songs in a specific order, I'd even named the files with the numeric prefixes yet it was't playing them in order (it was again using the create timestamp which was causing this).

More googling, and found that a command called "touch" that works on Windows and Linux/Unix can be used to modify the create and modify timestamps on files. Ran this command against the files in that particular folder (needless to say, took a backup before doing this) and all is well, finally.
Now, all the files in that folder share the same create & modified timestamps so the HU is forced to play them in the alphabetical sort order.

**I think the step where I copied the folders one by one (in the order I wanted them to play) is actually unnecessary and the same trick of using the "touch" command can be applied to folders as well, so it will be much simpler that way.

NOTE:The WagonR's Music System is the Nippon Maruti NC67L1 and the instruction manual does not mention that the play order is based on create date/timestamp. It only mentions with an example how files will be played where there is a multi folder hierarchy (even that is actually based on create date/timestamp as I found out!)

Last edited by NPV : 25th November 2016 at 11:16.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote