Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th April 2016, 00:55   #1
BHPian

Default My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol

Part 1: Genesis
It all started about 6 months back, when I finally decided I need to start researching for the car I would eventually buy.
My target was simple:
  • A premium B segment hatchback.
  • Petrol, since my monthly driving total would be a maximum of 1000km even if I drove to office every day and travelled every other weekend.
  • Also, most of my driving would be city, and hence only hatchbacks under consideration.
  • And then I like to have full control over the car hence no automatic transmission.
My initial considerations were:
  • Hyundai Grand i10.
  • Hyundai Elite i20.
  • Ford Figo.
  • Maruti Baleno.
  • Marut Swift/Dzire.
  • Honda Jazz.
  • Volkswagen Polo.
  • Fiat Punto.
Of these, I started test driving cars with the Grand i10, all the way to the Punto.

Of these, I then narrowed down the options to Baleno or Jazz. I will list down the reasons I didn't pick the others.
  • Grand i10: An overall nice package, but I felt the need for some more space.
  • Elite i20: The petrol didn't feel quite as energetic. Mainly because it has the same 83bhp engine as the i10.
  • Volkswagen Polo: A truly remarkably well built car. Top notch on build and finishing quality. However, rear legroom was one setback, and the relatively low powered and less fuel economical engine was another.
  • Maruti Swift/Dzire: Excellent engine, and fun to drive. But yet again, rear legroom left more to be desired.
  • Fiat Punto: 1.2L petrol was just 75bhp, and 1.4L petrol was more powerful but much lesser fuel economy.
  • Maruti Baleno: Great car. Would've been my top choice if not for the Jazz. However, the interiors feel a bit too simplistic, and build quality didn't feel as premium as should be for an 8L+ vehicle. Otherwise would've been just perfect. Also a major turn off was the 5-6 month waiting period.
  • Ford Figo: A car with a lot of promise! But was fairly disappointed with the low level of features you get even in the penultimate variant. Also, interior fit and finish didn't feel all that great, and neither was rear legroom.
This led down to the Jazz. I had 2 test drives of this car, mainly because I found the low end power a bit too low on the first test drive vehicle. I had already kept my expectations low after the overall reviews I had seen on team-bhp. The second test drive was fairly good, much better than the first.

Things I absolutely loved about the Jazz:
  • Extremely refined Petrol engine! At idle there is just no way to know if the engine is even running except for the tachometer. Very calm and smooth motor. This was something that impressed me from the very beginning. The motor is always calm and composed, and the noise it makes past 4000RPM or so is lovely.
  • Space, space and even more space! This has got to be the most spacious hatchback. Lots of room inside. Even with the front seat set at the farthest back possible, at 5'10" I could still sit comfortably in the rear seat. The car feels sedan level from the inside when it comes to space. And the interiors feel very airy and roomy. Something I didn't quite feel as much in the Baleno.
  • Enormous boot. 354L is sedan territory boot space. Hands down the biggest there.
  • Nice looking, well finished interiors. Since this shares a lot from the Honda City, the interiors are good, and feel nice to use. Certainly not i20 level stuff, but all in all pretty good.
  • Fuel economy: The claimed FE is 20, and most reviews claim it does deliver good fuel economy.
  • Nice powerful air conditioner. Automatic climate control works well.
  • The design. I have been a fan of the Jazz ever since the first generation. The car looks very aerodynamic, got nice curves and character lines. Nicely designed and positioned headlamps.
  • Good finishing quality. The doors close with a nice sound, and open very wide! All in all happy with the level of detailing and finishing.
  • Lots of small compartments to keep stuff. Bottle holders on rear doors can accommodate large bottles too.
Now the not so good bits:
  • Engine is absolutely not to the enthusiasts taste. This engine just doesn't want to be thrashed. Reminded me of how James May had described a car on TopGear. "When you floor throttle, the car doesn't do anything for about a moment or two. It's as if the car is asking you, Are you sure that's what you want sir? Alright then." and then it starts to dispatch it's 89 horses bit by bit. Engine not at all as peppy and quick as the K series fiat engines.
  • I did notice a slight vibration on the gear lever while in third. This happens only in third gear and only at low revs.
  • A few tiny bits missing: keyless entry, backlit buttons all around(The steering mounted are, and so is the driver side window key). But the passenger and rear buttons aren't backlit. No separate hatch release switch even on the inside! Key not the flip open style.
  • No reversing sensor. Only camera. While I can get habituated to the camera, the sensor beep is very helpful, especially when you have to park in small building parking slots.
  • A cap that serves as a sore reminder that the Start/Stop button has been skimped upon.
  • No speed-sensing central locking! I don't understand why this feature is skipped. It's a must. I have driven around a lot with the central locking still unlocked. There's no warning to remind to lock either!
With all this in mind, proceeded with booking the Jazz V MT petrol in Sunset Orange colour.

Reasons for this particular variant over the SV:
  • It covered all the safety features i.e. Driver and Passenger airbags, ABS+EBD.
  • Alloy wheels.
  • Rear wiper+washer.
  • Turn indicators on ORVMs.
  • Electrically folding ORVMs.
  • Auto-AC.
Did not go for VX as I didn't really find the need for 60:40 split seat, magic seats, or a touch screen navigation system(I rely on Google Maps).

Last edited by ashishk29 : 24th May 2016 at 13:57. Reason: Additional information about variant selection.
ashishk29 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:41   #2
BHPian

Default re: My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol

Part 2: The deed

All things decided, we went ahead with the further procedure.

The V variant amounted to 8,19,369/- On-Road price.
This was the price list at the time I booked the car:

My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol-img20160412wa0017.jpg

My procedure was handled by Crystal Honda, Satara. This is a sister branch of the Crystal Honda at Bavdhan, Pune.

Prime reason for buying the car in Satara was that it was cheaper there compared to Pune.

The process was handled by Mr. Pankaj Panhalkar, who was a very nice person, and helped us thoroughly throughout the process.

The financing was done through SBI.

The booking process was a breeze. I work at Pune, and the booking and further process was all done at Satara.

Despite this, Mr. Panhalkar managed everything very nicely. I even had the flexibility of sharing any requisite documents over whatsapp images and he went ahead and printed those for the filing process.

All in all, a solid A for pre-delivery service to Crystal Honda.

Once the car was booked, they procured the car from the Pune showroom on the same day itself.

I went ahead and had the PDI within hours. Checked all the electricals, engine bay, engine working, AC working, and overall fit and finish. It was to my satisfaction.

The only hitch in the pre-delivery process was brought about by lots of government holidays, which caused the RTO to be closed for a couple of days, resulting in the number being generated slightly late. I had the papers to my car, but the number was generated a day later.

By then I had already driven the car from Satara to Pune. But Crystal Honda Pune printed my number plates for me, and I got them fit here in Pune directly.

All in all, a very smooth booking-to-delivery process.
ashishk29 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 19:15   #3
BHPian

Part 3: Experience So far.

My initial driving experience came in very soon, as I had to drive from Satara to Pune on the very day I took delivery of my car.

And all those things said about engine refinement, NVH, smooth driving, all rung true in that 120km drive.

The car is a very relaxing one to drive! Anyone looking for a relaxing, calm drive, this is the one.

However, this does come at the cost of a rather sluggish acceleration. At times our other car, Alto K10 was able to pick up pace faster than the Jazz.

It took me some time to find that sweet spot in terms of driving position. Having upgraded from an Alto, I was happy with the new toys at my disposal VIZ: Adjustable steering and seat height adjust. (Although to be honest I still keep on tweaking this setting sometimes)

Gradually I got adjusted to the slower acceleration, the rather large road presence of the vehicle(considering it's dimensions are pretty huge for a hatchback!) Driving this thing feels very similar to driving a swift dzire or similar compact sedan, as it actually is the same size!

Highway riding experience:

This car really excels on the highways. Once you get in the zone, it's pretty stable, silent and fast! Cruising at 70-80kmph can get you FE figures of upto 19-20kmpl.
The ride is very relaxing, with not much of the bumps and jerks filtering through the suspension. High speed vibrations start creeping in at about 110-120kmph, but don't really increase much even all the way up to 160kmph. They sort of stay constant. Car feels fairly planted even at those speeds. Not problem in that aspect.

City driving experience:
Driving the Jazz in city is surprisingly easier a business than I had expected! With moderately moving traffic, the tall gear ratios can be a real boon. I end up driving in 3rd or 5th gear for quite long times. The car really drives like an automatic in these 2 gears. Yeah, getting moving from a standstill is a bit of a pain, but once in motion, you're pretty comfortable. It's a fairly relaxing vehicle to drive thanks to the low NVH, very friendly gears, and smooth engine response.

Suspension and Handling:
As most others noted, it is true that this car doesn't have the handling or ride dynamics of an enthusiast car. The suspension fairs well, and it handles corners just fine. But you don't get the sort of confidence you get in a Swift or a Punto. Suspension is a bit towards the softer side, meaning you don't feel most average bumps and potholes unless it's a really nasty one. But it's insulated well. My dad managed to bottom out the front suspension at one point(i mean in the technical sense, i.e. maximum suspension travel) when he drove straight over a pothole at about 70kmph. Despite this the car did not lose composure or go wobbly. Was happy about this bit.

Here are some key positive points that I would like to highlight here:
  • Very smooth engine - Unless you rev it hard up to 3000-4000RPM, the engine is barely audible! No indication the engine is revving except the tachometer. No noise to tip you off either. Good job on NVH insulation by Honda. The engine is actually so silent that in the first few days, I ended up firing the starter a second time with the engine running thanks to this, as I used to think that the engine hadn't started.
  • Smooth gearbox - The gearbox is a work of art. It never shudders, or panics. Even if you're at the wrong speed in the wrong gear, it doesn't so much as bother you. It takes the load until the engine stalls. This was one of my most favourite features of the Jazz. The endlessly forgiving gearbox. I even drove it at 30-40kmph in 5th gear at times and the engine/gearbox still wouldn't feel under duress. It just goes. Makes the driving experience a very pleasant one. Especially the 3rd and 5th gears will give you a CVT like driving experience.
  • Space, space and more space! - This is one of the only cars in the hatchback segments that's actually and literally as spacious as a sedan on the inside. Honda has very cleverly rearranged the under-body in order to maximise the space. They shifted the fuel tank to under the driver seats, thus putting the spare wheel where the fuel tank would've been and thus giving us an enormous 354L boot space. I'm absolutely in love with the space this car provides you.
  • Interior fit and finish - While these may not be as well finished as the elite i20, they come a close second. The finishing is good. No squeaking or rattling or such things experienced in the past month-1900km. Feels like a premium car. The fact that the dashboard is picked up from the City really helps.
  • Fuel economy - When driven softly, and with the green lighting(eco-help) I've gotten fuel economy as good as 21.2kmpl! That's pretty damn good for a 1200cc 89bhp motor. Even through city I managed to get between 13-15kmpl. Absolutely happy about this aspect.
  • Rear view camera - Works very well! The 3 view modes are also quite helpful in various situations. It also adapts to light and dark environments fairly quickly. The guidelines aren't active like the i20, but still you get a fair estimate. One good thing is that you can go into the settings and activate the rear view camera at any time! Even while moving forward at 100kmph.
And now some negatives:
  • Sluggish acceleration - No pussyfooting about this one. The acceleration is fairly slow. You really need to work the gears to make it pick up speed at a good pace. The gearshifts are like a complete game maneuver. You have to hit the right gear at the right time or you lose a fair amount of acceleration. Once it's caught up some momentum, it fairs well. But till you get to that point, it's a bit of a struggle. This also means giving the engine very high revs to get it moving up inclines.
  • Blindspots - The seating position is fairly away from the front bumper, and hence you can't actually see the front corners of your car even when the seat is at it's highest position. You have to get build a sense of this very soon or else you'll end up scratching the corners. The quarter glass up front does help, but only upto some extent.
  • AC not as powerful as it should've been - For the amount of space in the cabin, the AC unit could've been a bit more powerful. Don't get me wrong, the current unit isn't falling short. It's good enough. It gets the car really cool. Just that a more powerful unit could've gotten the car cool faster.
  • Some goodies missing: Keyless entry, seatbelt height adjust, reverse parking sensor, auto dimming IRVM, auto headlamps/wipers(all of these available in the baleno).

Last edited by ashishk29 : 24th May 2016 at 13:52.
ashishk29 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 09:15   #4
BHPian

Part 4: Some pictures!

The Jazz in all it's orange glory!
My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol-dsc_0169.jpg

On the day of delivery.
My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol-dsc_0166.jpg

The comforting dashboard and driver console.
My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol-dsc_0171.jpg

Jacquard black fabric seat covers with blue stitching.
My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol-.jpg

The doors open pretty wide, making ingress/egress very comfortable. Doors open in a 3 stage action.
My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol-dsc_0142.jpg

My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol-dsc_0197.jpg

My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol-dsc_0198.jpg

Plentiful rear space. One of the key features of the Jazz.
My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol-dsc_0199.jpg

My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol-dsc_0183.jpg

The console lit up when the headlamps are running. A very nice sight.
My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol-b.jpg

The Steering mounted controls are backlit:
My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol-c.jpg

So is the driver side window and power window lock:
My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol-d.jpg

And the headlamp level adjust wheel is too:
My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol-e.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 25th May 2016 at 07:09. Reason: Fixing image orientation
ashishk29 is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 18:57   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section). Thanks for sharing!
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2016, 19:47   #6
BHPian

Default Re: My new orange companion: Honda Jazz V MT Petrol

Congratulations on your new set of wheels. Excellent choice of car and my favourite colour. Thank you for a thorough owners review. Please keep us updated each year on how the car is performing. Happy motoring.- Narayan

PS: It is amazing how feature laden our cars have become and as a corollary we have become used to. Parking sensors (which you refer to the Jazz not having) and parking camera which it does were not available on most luxury cars a mere 15 years ago. Good for us as customers.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 06:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Congratulations on your new set of wheels. Excellent choice of car and my favourite colour. Thank you for a thorough owners review. Please keep us updated each year on how the car is performing. Happy motoring.- Narayan

PS: It is amazing how feature laden our cars have become and as a corollary we have become used to. Parking sensors (which you refer to the Jazz not having) and parking camera which it does were not available on most luxury cars a mere 15 years ago. Good for us as customers.
Thank you. Will surely update the thread frequently.

The features available in cars have indeed gone up in the past decade or two. Even I learnt to drive in a car without any reversing assist, no power windows, no central locking, airbags and ABS entirely out of the question! And now these features are on their way to becoming ubiquitous.
ashishk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 07:46   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Gearbox - Are you sure about the speed? I cant believe that there is no judder on 5th gear at 30-40 kmph.

When going up the ramp on 2nd gear I can feel the judder unless I gain momentum in advance.

Also, I did a test - pull handbrake on and release clutch halfway on 1st gear, you will 'hear' the judder. Can you check this on yours.

I guess this is all normal though.
aerohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 08:51   #9
BHPian

Really good write up.
Did you opt for the Honda App not sure the exact term.
how do feel about the power of stock headlights ?
redcruiser is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 09:15   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post

Reasons for this particular variant over the SV:[list][*]It covered all the safety features i.e. Driver and Passenger airbags, ABS+EBD.
A small correction:
Twin airbags, ABS, EBD are available from the SV variant as well.

Also, haven't had a chance to drive in 5th gear inside city limits except before 7am. Even though it might not be giving any shudder, driving at such a tall gear inside city is not advisable in my opinion. The RPM will hover around 1000 mark or less, straining the engine. Experts please correct if am wrong here.
TD_GHY is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2016, 10:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_GHY View Post
A small correction:
Twin airbags, ABS, EBD are available from the SV variant as well.

Also, haven't had a chance to drive in 5th gear inside city limits except before 7am. Even though it might not be giving any shudder, driving at such a tall gear inside city is not advisable in my opinion. The RPM will hover around 1000 mark or less, straining the engine. Experts please correct if am wrong here.
Yeah, ABS+EBD and airbags are available in SV as well. I guess I put that line at the wrong place. I wanted to mention it before the comparison.

Also, I don't usually drive that slow in 5th gear for more than a couple of seconds. I am aware it's not good for either the engine or the gearbox. It's just the small time gap before I downshift. What happens in most cars is they start stuttering right before the downshift, which never happens in this case.
Old 25th May 2016, 13:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohit View Post
Gearbox - Are you sure about the speed? I cant believe that there is no judder on 5th gear at 30-40 kmph.

When going up the ramp on 2nd gear I can feel the judder unless I gain momentum in advance.

Also, I did a test - pull handbrake on and release clutch halfway on 1st gear, you will 'hear' the judder. Can you check this on yours.

I guess this is all normal though.
I'm definitely sure about the 5th gear thing. Ofcourse if you floor the throttle at that point, it gives some mild vibrations. But give a soft throttle or downshift, and no such thing.

Although yes, the car judders a lot while going up ramps in 1st, 2nd and R gears. I can never quite cross our apartment building ramp without gaining some momentum or without the hand-braking and climbing thing.

And about the half handbrake judder thing: It's bound to happen. It's not exactly a judder but rather the engine struggling against the handbrake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcruiser View Post
Really good write up.
Did you opt for the Honda App not sure the exact term.
how do feel about the power of stock headlights ?
Thank you.
I did opt for the Honda Connect feature, however now I'm getting notifications to renew it.

Also, I find the stock headlamps sufficient so far. I've attached some pics in my reply (Honda Jazz : Official Review) on the official jazz review thread.

Last edited by ashishk29 : 25th May 2016 at 13:47.
Old 7th June 2016, 15:38   #13
BHPian

A lot of Ford Figo reviews applaud that it has a "Max AC" button which puts the blower into full blast for a small time.

I recently found that the Jazz V/VX has that feature too.

All you have to do is to swipe your finger from down to up on the blower speed controls(like you would to unlock your phone) and it will turn up the blower to full speed irrespective of what speed it was at. Same thing works with the temperature controls too. Swipe up will push it from Lo to 25, and from 25 to Hi(and vice versa).

Really handy!
Old 25th July 2016, 15:40   #14
BHPian

Hi,

Congrats on your purchase !
I am in market for new car to replace my 10 year old swift. I have zeroed on Dzire Zxi / Jazz. Quite confused. Can you please tell me if you found any issue regarding ground clearance of Jazz ? It's 165 mm and I feel it is bit low considering speedbrakers in Pune. Do you found underbelly scratching if the car is fully loaded ? Also, I test drove Jazz and found that torque at lower RPM is weak as many say here on team-bhp.

Last edited by abhaybakshi : 25th July 2016 at 15:43.
abhaybakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 16:46   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhaybakshi View Post
Hi,

Congrats on your purchase !
I am in market for new car to replace my 10 year old swift. I have zeroed on Dzire Zxi / Jazz. Quite confused. Can you please tell me if you found any issue regarding ground clearance of Jazz ? It's 165 mm and I feel it is bit low considering speedbrakers in Pune. Do you found underbelly scratching if the car is fully loaded ? Also, I test drove Jazz and found that torque at lower RPM is weak as many say here on team-bhp.
I've had absolutely no problems because of the ground clearance so far.
And I've even off-roaded a bit in the car on kachha/muddy/rocky roads. So it fares well in that department.

As for the low end torque, yes. It's a bit low. You'll find yourself revving the engine hard on inclines etc. Need to be a bit mindful of it while driving up inclines.
But the plus points here are, there are no noticeable vibrations/shuddering even if you are in the wrong gear.
I've even had experiences a few times where I felt that engine got cut off in such situations but it actually didn't turn off.
It does take some getting habituated to.

Also, once you've picked up speed, it's a very relaxing ride.

Since you're in between Dzire vs Jazz, Dzire is fun to drive, but it just isn't as refined as the Jazz. The Jazz is very refined and smooth, but the low end torque is not as much. Also, I found the interiors of Jazz way better than Dzire. And you get much better legroom in the Jazz, and just as much boot space.