Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th October 2016, 01:02   #31
BHPian

Default Re: My Highway King - Tata Safari Storme VX Varicor 400 Nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Hi Doc,

Its been long time. Waiting for your well written update.

Sourabh

Congrats on your Storme sourabhzen. Hope you'll have a wonderful experience.

My apologies for the delay in wishing and posting.
I had to format my laptop and was forced to lose all the data in it. I had to type the above huge post twice. Hence the delay.

Anyways, waiting for your review and a dedicated ownership thread on Storme.
doc_zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 08:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Great pics and congrats on the Storme. Some pointers from my ownership.
1. Clutch does harden with time. Although I didn't find it very painful (maybe because it was gradual and I was getting used to it ), at the 30k service, the service center on their own replaced the clutch plate FOC under warranty.
2. Brakes like you said don't feel very powerful. For people upgrading from hatches or sedans, I think it's a matter of getting used to. I always used to brake late, so had to modify my brake pedal pressure accordingly. Also note, the initial bite might be poor but if you slam it harder there's better braking action. Do try it out in an empty stretch and try to modify your braking style accordingly.
3. Windshield water nozzles get clogged very very often. Pls try cleaning them with a safety pin to restore the throw. Do this often. Also check the water quality that you are filling up.
4. I never had the ac problems you mention. So do get it checked
5. Door thud like you said is due to getting used to it. If you use another car for a few weeks and get back to the Storme you will start appreciating it again.

Happy miles ahead.
narayan is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2016, 09:35   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Great pics and congrats on the Storme. Some pointers from my ownership.
1. Clutch does harden with time. Although I didn't find it very painful (maybe because it was gradual and I was getting used to it ), at the 30k service, the service center on their own replaced the clutch plate FOC under warranty.

3. Windshield water nozzles get clogged very very often. Pls try cleaning them with a safety pin to restore the throw. Do this often. Also check the water quality that you are filling up.

Happy miles ahead.
Thank you.
I'm feeling the gear lever has a little more play than usual, in neutral. Any suggestions as to check any faults in gear lever or the clutch without opening?

I use only drinking water for the windshield washer tank. Rear washer is pathetic. Water just drips down onto the windshield. I'll try to clean up the nozzles today with the safety pin, as you mentioned.

One more query I have is, when on highways and doing good speeds, shifting from 4th gear to 5th or 5th to 6th, I'm feeling a very brief gap between accelator input and the engine response. To my understanding, this is a problem with the clutch in non-adjusting clutches. Is it normal for self-adjusting ones? The gap is very brief, but I can perceive it clearly. This isn't seen on lower gears or on lower speeds. Any ideas?

Thank you
Old 9th October 2016, 14:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Did you mean the gear stick is moving around too much ? I think there's an adjustment at its base accessed by removing the cloth like enclosure. On the lag while up shifting I've never experienced that. Do post these in the official review thread for more owners to view and answer.
narayan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2016, 18:07   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Did you mean the gear stick is moving around too much ? I think there's an adjustment at its base accessed by removing the cloth like enclosure. On the lag while up shifting I've never experienced that. Do post these in the official review thread for more owners to view and answer.
I felt the gear lever to be a bit loose and also tilted to the left. Also the lever vibrations in neutral are also gone up a notch.
I'll post it in detail in official thread and let's see. Anyway thanks for your response :thumbup:
Old 11th October 2016, 20:32   #36
BHPian

Gave final touches to the dead pedal setup today. Fixed the aluminum plate over the block.

Also put up new floor mats. Took a huge length of the mat from a wholesale dealer and cut it myself, exactly. Took a good 3 hours for everything. Total cost of the mats was around 1400 INR. Quality is excellent, though I couldn't find the exact colors i was looking for.
My Highway King - Tata Safari Storme VX Varicor 400 Nm-img_20161011_121528.jpg
My Highway King - Tata Safari Storme VX Varicor 400 Nm-img_20161011_170010.jpg
My Highway King - Tata Safari Storme VX Varicor 400 Nm-img_20161011_170127.jpg
My Highway King - Tata Safari Storme VX Varicor 400 Nm-img_20161011_170017.jpg
My Highway King - Tata Safari Storme VX Varicor 400 Nm-img_20161011_170820.jpg

My gear lever is tilted towards left, when in neutral. Other storme owners please confirm whether this is normal or should i visit a service centre? Thanks in advance.
My Highway King - Tata Safari Storme VX Varicor 400 Nm-img_20161011_182306_hht.jpg

Also including the pics of new seat covers i had installed.
My Highway King - Tata Safari Storme VX Varicor 400 Nm-img_20161011_165925.jpg
My Highway King - Tata Safari Storme VX Varicor 400 Nm-img_20161011_170115.jpg
My Highway King - Tata Safari Storme VX Varicor 400 Nm-img_20161011_170120.jpg
doc_zeus is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 09:00   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_zeus View Post
8) Low beam is not at all helpful in nights.

10) The Air conditioner behaves on its own.

13)The water jet hardly touches the half height of the windscreen. I
@Doc, in case no responses/ solutions to above points:

8) Check beam alignment

10) Get gas checked at TASS

13) Use the needle to re-align the nozzle upwards so that the spray is directed further up.

Btw, did you buy your Storme in Belgaum ?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 15:31   #38
BHPian

Quote:
10) Hereís the main issue Iím worried about. The Air conditioner behaves on its own. Iíve observed this for the past three months or so. When in econ mode, if the temp dial is set to middle or even a bit left of it, the AC blows very hot air. So I have to take it down near the cool mark, which slowly pumps extremely cold air. So again I have to turn the dial to the right, which is useless as it pumps hot air. So in the long drives, Iím changing the temp dial every 5 minutes for the whole journey, which is quite irritating. The temp doesnít maintain uniformly. Either it pumps extremely cold air or hot, but not the midway. The same thing happens in the blue mode too, except Iím changing the dial for every 20 minutes or so.
Nice updates on your beast doc! Specially the footrest ; I am also getting one done by a carpenter albeit using leftover plywood pieces.

On the AC issue, I've the exact same problem in mine. Posted on the 400 review thread; it has been diagnosed to a faulty temp control knob by the service folks. The part took 2 weeks to arrive from the factory as they didn't have a spare one; and then it is a two day job to fix it as the dashboard has to be opened. I am supposed to get back my Storme today with the fix; will report back if it has worked. Needless to say, it is indeed really annoying; my 9 months old son doesn't like getting sweaty and I don't prefer driving with the windows down!

Please get in touch with your SA for this and insist on a fix.
avinash_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 21:50   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Doc, in case no responses/ solutions to above points:

8) Check beam alignment

10) Get gas checked at TASS

13) Use the needle to re-align the nozzle upwards so that the spray is directed further up.

Btw, did you buy your Storme in Belgaum ?
I plan to visit the service Centre on Monday sir. Planning to leave hyderabad tomorrow morning. I'll make them check the things you mentioned sir.

I took the storme delivery from hubli, Karnataka sir, the current place of my residence. Both the dealerships in belgaum and hubli are owned by the same guys though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Nice updates on your beast doc! Specially the footrest ; I am also getting one done by a carpenter albeit using leftover plywood pieces.

On the AC issue, I've the exact same problem in mine. Posted on the 400 review thread; it has been diagnosed to a faulty temp control knob by the service folks. The part took 2 weeks to arrive from the factory as they didn't have a spare one; and then it is a two day job to fix it as the dashboard has to be opened. I am supposed to get back my Storme today with the fix; will report back if it has worked. Needless to say, it is indeed really annoying; my 9 months old son doesn't like getting sweaty and I don't prefer driving with the windows down!

Please get in touch with your SA for this and insist on a fix.
Thank you avinash. I'll inform the service guys regarding this. Please let me know whether replacing the temp control knob solved the problem or not. Which ASC have you visited in hyd?

Regarding the dead pedal, driving with shoes might be difficult as space on the left of clutch pedal is very little. By making the dead pedal too thin, it will be of no use. So plan accordingly. By the way, how are you planning to fix the pedal?
Old 12th October 2016, 22:23   #40
BHPian

Quote:
10) Hereís the main issue Iím worried about. The Air conditioner behaves on its own. Iíve observed this for the past three months or so. When in econ mode, if the temp dial is set to middle or even a bit left of it, the AC blows very hot air. So I have to take it down near the cool mark, which slowly pumps extremely cold air. So again I have to turn the dial to the right, which is useless as it pumps hot air. So in the long drives, Iím changing the temp dial every 5 minutes for the whole journey, which is quite irritating. The temp doesnít maintain uniformly. Either it pumps extremely cold air or hot, but not the midway. The same thing happens in the blue mode too, except Iím changing the dial for every 20 minutes or so.
Quote:
On the AC issue, I've the exact same problem in mine. Posted on the 400 review thread; it has been diagnosed to a faulty temp control knob by the service folks. The part took 2 weeks to arrive from the factory as they didn't have a spare one; and then it is a two day job to fix it as the dashboard has to be opened. I am supposed to get back my Storme today with the fix; will report back if it has worked.
You can count me in on the AC issue. My temp knob too does not reduce cooling, and when I reach halfway between hot and cold, it starts blowing hot air! Moreover if I turn the knob completely to hot, not all vents on dash blow the same air. 1 blows hot and 3 are still blowing cold! The worst part is my VX 4x4 is barely a month old. It has already spent 2 days at service center for this and one more issue, and goes back in again on Monday as both of them have resurfaced.
black_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2016, 22:30   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I plan to visit the service Centre on Monday sir. Planning to leave hyderabad tomorrow morning. I'll make them check the things you mentioned sir.
You can do the nozzle alignment yourself - it would help you if it is raining tomorrow during your drive.

Familiar with the dealer. Our relatives are long time customers @ Bgm. Though the Bgm service is pathetic, as experienced last year.

Pls PM me your location @ UBL.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 23:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you avinash. I'll inform the service guys regarding this. Please let me know whether replacing the temp control knob solved the problem or not. Which ASC have you visited in hyd?
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
You can count me in on the AC issue. My temp knob too does not reduce cooling, and when I reach halfway between hot and cold, it starts blowing hot air! Moreover if I turn the knob completely to hot, not all vents on dash blow the same air. 1 blows hot and 3 are still blowing cold! The worst part is my VX 4x4 is barely a month old. It has already spent 2 days at service center for this and one more issue, and goes back in again on Monday as both of them have resurfaced.
No worries; here you go. I've posted the details here; the issue is fixed now. I got it done from Venkatramana Motors Kondapur; its the closest to my place.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4074532 (Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review)

Quote:
Regarding the dead pedal, driving with shoes might be difficult as space on the left of clutch pedal is very little. By making the dead pedal too thin, it will be of no use. So plan accordingly. By the way, how are you planning to fix the pedal?
For the dead pedal, I plan to fix it using velcro, stuck to the footrest, and that to the carpet; but that may be only on the floor and the gear box tunnel. I'll post the details when I get the piece made.
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 08:54   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
First of all congrats on your Storme black_rider.
Seems like a common problem to the new gen storme. I'm thinking to put up a mail to the TML regarding this.
Did they replace your temp control knob? What about the other issue, mind if I ask?

Quote:
No worries; here you go. I've posted the details here; the issue is fixed now. I got it done from Venkatramana Motors Kondapur; its the closest to my place.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4074532 (Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review)

For the dead pedal, I plan to fix it using velcro, stuck to the footrest, and that to the carpet; but that may be only on the floor and the gear box tunnel. I'll post the details when I get the piece made.
Thanks for the details avinash. I'm planning to visit the service center on monday. Any chance you can please find out the part number of the temp control knob replaced, from your SA?

I've done the same thing fixing the dead pedal to the gear box tunnel and the floor.
Old 17th October 2016, 23:13   #44
BHPian

Quote:
First of all congrats on your Storme black_rider.
Seems like a common problem to the new gen storme. I'm thinking to put up a mail to the TML regarding this.
Did they replace your temp control knob? What about the other issue, mind if I ask?
Thanks for your wishes. They did not replace anything. My car went to service center for this A/C issue, for the 2nd time today. It's not returned yet. Will get it back tomorrow. Like the last time, they've said they did some "settings". I've made it clear that I do not want to make more visits for the same issue.

The other thing is a grinding noise, which I suspect is from the drivetrain. Don't have much time right now, will definitely post about it later in detail.
black_rider is offline   Reply With Quote