Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th December 2016, 22:34   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Highway King - Tata Safari Storme VX Varicor 400 Nm

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
My car went to service center for this A/C issue, for the 2nd time today. It's not returned yet. Will get it back tomorrow. Like the last time, they've said they did some "settings". I've made it clear that I do not want to make more visits for the same issue.
Please update. My Storme too has AC Temperature issue and I want it to be addressed in the first service which is due in third week is December. Your input will help in faster resolution.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 15:47   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Has this been solved now?

Any other issues you have been facing with the vehicle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Please update. My Storme too has AC Temperature issue and I want it to be addressed in the first service which is due in third week is December. Your input will help in faster resolution.
Sadly, the A/C temperature control problem persists I will be writing a mail to the manufacturer customer support. For the last 2 times that my car had been to service station for this issue, it was returned back saying they had "re-routed" some control cable. My questions like "how can re-routing an electrical cable change HVAC operation/ Was it a mechanical wire?" were replied with some stuff just to garble the discussion. At the onset itself, it was hard to prove that temperature control has a mind of its own, and it was impossible to find out faults with it after their "fix". Specially when support staff is hell bent on shooing problems away, as if the customer has got imaginary problems in his head. And the funny thing is half the sounds/issues do not show up when the car is in service center.

My car went in for first service on 10th. I did not even bring this issue up. I knew there was no use talking to them. Would've spent my energy for absolutely no results.

Other issues :
- A thud sound that randomly comes up.
- A krrr-krrr sound when getting off throttle at certain RPMs, which I earlier thought was from the transmission downstream of engine, but could be from the engine bay as well. I do not know. Service center although "tried" to address this on my first visit, denied that there was an abnormal sound on second visit.
- Headlights dim a perceptible bit on sudden electrical load. Like when you pull up 2 power window switches simultaneously. I have not noticed this on other cars. But did see this on another customer Storme, and hence this issue was passed on by the SA as a design thing. You guys can try this on your cars too. Just point your car to a wall in dark and try it. The other customer car belonged to a nice gentleman named Sameer. Forgot to ask him if he was a BHPian. He too had brought in his vehicle just a month after purchase with some "sound issues".

That's way too many rough edges in user experience. Is Tata really still using customers as Beta testers for what is iteration of a 20 year old car? I miss Mr.Dhabhar.

Really wanted to pepper this post with banghead emoticons.
black_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 16:01   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your input will help in faster resolution.
I had some time at hand today and tested 3 Storme Varicors, 1 brand new and 2 used vehicles for this issue, and yes, it exists.

The temperature control knob is as good as dysfunctional and cannot/does not control temperature.

Quote:
Other issues :
- A thud sound that randomly comes up.
- A krrr-krrr sound when getting off throttle at certain RPMs, which I earlier thought was from the transmission downstream of engine, but could be from the engine bay as well. I do not know. Service center although "tried" to address this on my first visit, denied that there was an abnormal sound on second visit.
- Headlights dim a perceptible bit on sudden electrical load. Like when you pull up 2 power window switches simultaneously. I have not noticed this on other cars.

That's way too many rough edges in user experience. Is Tata really still using customers as Beta testers for what is iteration of a 20 year old car? I miss Mr.Dhabhar.

Really wanted to pepper this post with banghead emoticons.
For the AC issue, please refer to my reply above. It exists and the people I spoke to were clueless about it, however they admitted that this needs to be rectified from the OEM side. Makes sense to me.

Where does the sound seem to come from?

The krrr....sound is a common Safari trait. There is no known remedy for it and it doesnt aggravate over time or impact vehicle performance.

Well, headlight dimming under additional load is a function of the battery condition, the alternator rectifier and the battery capacity. It happens on a lot of vehicles, not a reason to worry IMO.

Yes, the ownership experience is definitely not worthy of a 1.5 million INR vehicle.

While Mr.Dhabhar could not add a lot to the Storme due to his short stint at TML, I miss him too.
n.devdath is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 18:27   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Sadly, the A/C temperature control problem persists I will be writing a mail to the manufacturer customer support.

- Headlights dim a perceptible bit on sudden electrical load. Like when you pull up 2 power window switches simultaneously. I have not noticed this on other cars. But did see this on another customer Storme, and hence this issue was passed on by the SA as a design thing. You guys can try this on your cars too. Just point your car to a wall in dark and try it. The other customer car belonged to a nice gentleman named Sameer. Forgot to ask him if he was a BHPian. He too had brought in his vehicle just a month after purchase with some "sound issues".

Even my AC has been running erratic for the past three months. The AC was functioning well for the first three or four months. Don't know what happened later. Seems like a common problem to the newer gen Stormes. Avinash changed the AC knob assembly in his storme and it seems to have helped. I've pinged Avinash regarding more details and part number etc, as my Service Manager asked me the details, so that he can procure it.

I also observed the occasional dimming of headlights in my storme. I checked the voltage worth and without ignition and everything seems to be normal. Looks like it's normal as devdath sir posted.
doc_zeus is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 21:48   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_zeus View Post

I also observed the occasional dimming of headlights in my storme. I checked the voltage worth and without ignition and everything seems to be normal. Looks like it's normal as devdath sir posted.
I also experienced headlight dimming for fraction of second yesterday when I was driving with high beams on. This happened at least thrice in 20 minutes.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 23:46   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Hi black_rider, I have faced this exact issue when I bought my beast in Jan this year and it was resolved satisfactorily by Concorde motors here at Chennai. It was first acknowledged as a defect by Tata motors and corrected in 2 stages.

First correction was changing the gear shift knob to a heavier one (yes, just the knob). This caused a kind of a damping effect and reduced the noise by about 50%.

Second correction about a month later (I was advised it will be done in the 2nd free service) was replacing the 'gear shift linkages'. This corrected the noise to about 90% and now at close to 20k kms done, its hardly audible. All along Tata motors customer service manager was in touch with me to ensure satisfactory resolution.

Details are on my ownership thread and in this thread on earlier pages (around mar-apr) as well.

Last edited by Seek : 12th December 2016 at 23:48.
Seek is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 13:01   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also experienced headlight dimming for fraction of second yesterday when I was driving with high beams on. This happened at least thrice in 20 minutes.
This is a clear indication of the alternator rectifier not functioning properly and needs to be replaced asap.

Do not delay this else it will lead to consequential failures of the battery, the ICE and other bulbs as well.

PS: Are you sure you haven't experienced a rodent attack?
n.devdath is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 18:20   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a clear indication of the alternator rectifier not functioning properly and needs to be replaced asap.

Do not delay this else it will lead to consequential failures of the battery, the ICE and other bulbs as well.

Thank you. Will take this up with service guys tomorrow.

I have not seen any rodent anywhere near my car. I don't think there is any till now.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 18:27   #54
BHPian

Quote:

Even I observe this regularly in my storme. When I reported to the service rep, he told me it's not an issue and even showed me the same in another storme. Should I be worried? The service manager is a good friend of mine. I'll report it to him this weekend. Even the AC has a very brief gasp when the flickering of lights occur.

I too didn't observe any rodent menace in my neighborhood.
doc_zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 20:23   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even the AC has a very brief gasp when the flickering of lights occur.
You indeed should be worried. It is not the AC which is gasping (compressors cannot gasp, they have clutch which cuts in and cuts out, simple), it is the blower motor, which blows the air from the cooling coil via the ducts in the dashboard and the roof to the insides/cabin.

This is serious and do not ignore it at any cost. Sudden electrical fluctuation puts a lot of unwanted load on all electrical components and will definitely lead to their premature failure.

A replacement of the rectifier/regulator should fix it though.

BTW, it is very intuitive of you to observe the AC gasp, not easy for everyone.

Last edited by n.devdath : 13th December 2016 at 20:35.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 20:56   #56
BHPian

Quote:
You indeed should be worried. It is not the AC which is gasping (compressors cannot gasp, they have clutch which cuts in and cuts out, simple), it is the blower motor, which blows the air from the cooling coil via the ducts in the dashboard and the roof to the insides/cabin.

This is serious and do not ignore it at any cost. Sudden electrical fluctuation puts a lot of unwanted load on all electrical components and will definitely lead to their premature failure.

A replacement of the rectifier/regulator should fix it though.

BTW, it is very intuitive of you to observe the AC gasp, not easy for everyone.
Thank you sir. I'll get this rectified ASAP. I initially worried about the flickering of lights in a new car. But the service rep assured me not to bother.

One more query sir, the clutch pedal play isn't as smooth as earlier. I reported this one and the mechanic bled some clutch line underneath the engine somewhere near the gearbox and refilled the brake fluid container. All the four brake lines near the wheels were also bled at that time, as I have a squealing noise from the wheels, especially on cold mornings(it persists even now). The clutch pedal play was ultra light after that, but only lasted for one or two days. Anything more can be done here?

Thanks for the support
Old 13th December 2016, 21:20   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the service rep assured me not to bother.
Tell him to give you this in writing.

Quote:
One more query sir, the clutch pedal play isn't as smooth as earlier. I reported this one and the mechanic bled some clutch line underneath the engine somewhere near the gearbox and refilled the brake fluid container. All the four brake lines near the wheels were also bled at that time, as I have a squealing noise from the wheels, especially on cold mornings(it persists even now). The clutch pedal play was ultra light after that, but only lasted for one or two days. Anything more can be done here?

Thanks for the support
This is clear too. Hydraulic clutches (like the one on the Storme) work using master and slave cylinders which transmit pressure using pipelines which are filled with hydraulic fluids. If he bled the clutch line and the clutch became lighter, it means that there is/was a leak somewhere in the clutch line which made air come through a line which is supposed to be filled with oil. Once the air was removed through bleeding, it was normal.

However, if it became hard again, it means that there is a leak in the piping somewhere due to which air comes back into the lines after they have been bled clean, resulting in a harder clutch. Ask them to check the entire clutch circuit for leaks, they will find one.

Squealing noise from the brakes can be ignored as long as their effectiveness isn't compromised. It happens due to umpteen reasons and fixes are few and far between. If your brakes are working fine, forget it is my advice.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 21:37   #58
BHPian

Quote:

However, if it became hard again, it means that there is a leak in the piping somewhere due to which air comes back into the lines after they have been bled clean, resulting in a harder clutch. Ask them to check the entire clutch circuit for leaks, they will find one.

Squealing noise from the brakes can be ignored as long as their effectiveness isn't compromised. It happens due to umpteen reasons and fixes are few and far between. If your brakes are working fine, forget it is my advice.
Sure sir. I'll make them check the clutch lines for leak.

After they bled the brake lines, the braking had improved a lot. I had a very bad opinion on Storme braking prior to this. Apart from a minor squeal, no issues regarding the braking now.
Old 13th December 2016, 21:39   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure sir. I'll make them check the clutch lines for leak.
Make sure to check your clutch MC as well. Not all leaks are big enough to leak oil.

Also, compare clutch feel and progressiveness with other Varicors with similar/greater readings on the odo, that should further cement your thoughts.

If you still feel it is abnormal, let me know.
n.devdath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 22:09   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Even my AC has been running erratic for the past three months. The AC was functioning well for the first three or four months. Don't know what happened later. Seems like a common problem to the newer gen Stormes. Avinash changed the AC knob assembly in his storme and it seems to have helped. I've pinged Avinash regarding more details and part number etc, as my Service Manager asked me the details, so that he can procure it.
@sourabh: AC is working as expected; after the component change. I checked it again this week by keeping at 75% cool this time; it definitely blows less cooler air than at full cold. One thing I've noticed though is, the changes are still not instant, when one changes in quick succession; but it does react to the inputs eventually after maybe a sec and half lag. Make sure to do a full hot to full cold switch and intermediate range (with the engine warmed up), to test thoroughly after you change.

@doc: I've responded to your PM. Basically, the lax attitude of the service SA is to blame for me not able to procure the part number; this after 4 followups in a week and not one call back even! Am beginning to lose my patience now with these people; every time I've called him he seems to have some stupid reason ready! I've shared my SA's number in PM; you could reach out directly as well.

Last edited by avinash_m : 15th December 2016 at 22:12. Reason: edit
avinash_m is offline   Reply With Quote