Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th May 2016, 20:47   #1
BHPian

Default Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel

After 8 months I think its a good time to write something about our beloved Elessar -

Likes so far -

1. Small yet Big enough for a long weekend road trips.
2. Ground clearance which is there to rescue you all the time.
3. Ford Build quality is at par.
4. Stiff suspension. Eats up potholes easily. Very good ride quality too.
5. Handling is good for both in city and highway. EcoSport handles like a car.
5. Stock music system is very good. The music system als has bluetooth connectivity along with usb and aux input.
6. Ford after sales service good in Kolkata and not too costly.
7. Not rattling issue even after driving on the worst of roads possible. Touch wood.

Dislikes -

1. Engine torque delivery is lower RPM is very less.
2. No ABS in lower variant.
3. No RPM meter. Why Ford why ?
3. Mileage is a hit or miss for me. If driven above 80 the mileage decreases rapidly.
4. Thick A pillar creates obstruction on the corners

The Ford EcoSport (as we call it ES or Elessar) is my second car. My first car was a Chevrolet Beat. It clocked 61000 km before I sold it. There are many ownership reviews in Team BHP (including the official review) which contains details of the car in and out. I will try to stay away from such information and completely concentrate on other things like overall experience, mileage, customizations, satisfaction, cost of ownership.

Prologue -

As I said I used to own a Beat before, a diesel version. Beat was a great car, it never failed me during the 3 years I owned it. A small and nimble car which was great for Kolkata traffic. The mileage was sometime even greater than my Duke 200. The car took me to to Orissa, South Bengal beaches, Mukutmanipur, Garpanchkot etc and that too with 4 people on board many times. The boot space of Beat wasn’t enough though, so we used to take smaller luggage and occasionally without luggage. Problem began when we started to go beyond those 300km radius, where the roads were not so good, where we need more luggage and more importantly where we had little time. The beat was good on the highways till 80 kmph with 4 people on board and ac running. After that the car used to struggle. With more than 100 kmph speed the steering become light as feature and there was so much nervousness around. Then the ground clearance started giving headaches. After monsoon on the famous Kolkata roads Beat used to get hit from beneath most of the time. That is when we decided to go for a new car.

What I wanted –

I started taking test drives from October 2014. The need of car was not mandatory, so we had time in our hands. We started looking for a car even without knowing what really we want. I didn’t want any Sedan, and more importantly sedan wouldn’t tick my boxes. I used to spend a lot of time trying to understand what we really want. It took us few more trips in our beat to finally realize we need the following –

1. Petrol or Diesel - Diesel of course. The beat clocked 61000 km in 3 years. Still I did a lot of math to ensure that a diesel car would be appropriate. The ever rising petrol/diesel price in 2014-15 was really a problem for us. And the new generation diesel cars were so much refine.

2. Hathback/SUV/Sedan- A medium size car and not a large size SUV. We didn’t want to drive a 7 seater SUV through the Kolkata traffics and to my native place where are streets are very narrow. So we decided to stay away from anything larger to 4 meters or so. I know people who drive large SUVs on daily basis and can manage their vehicle easily. Most of the time (at least 90%) only me and my wife would be in the car. My parents do not like traveling in a car, trains and flights suits them better. So I was sure they will never go with me on a weekend trip in my car. My mother can hardly sit for an hour or two in the car. Whereas my in-laws have their own vehicle. But still at a time not more than 4-5 people would travel with us. And that is only on the weekends. On the weekdays its only 2 of us. So I don’t wanted to buy 2-3 extra seats for that 10% of time. But the space inside the car has to be enough for 4 adults with their luggage.

3. Performance/handling - Handling of the car was very important. For the same reason I was so lean towards Fiat. Beat used to handle nice within city. I was looking for a car with good shock absorbers, a good handler, at least 80 bhp or more and with silent cabin. I was not looking was a very fast car because that was not my requirement, I required a car which can travel long distance without issues and also can tackle bad roads and would be comfortable.

4. Ground Clearance- Proper ground clearance. By saying “Proper” I mean which should be enough for Leh-Ladakh. Yes we kept Ladakh as target. People will start arguing that every car can go to Ladakh, someone took a fiat sedan, someone took a Maruti 800 and someone even took a Skoda. I know that and have read all those travelogues here. What I wanted was peace of mind. I know most of the cars can go to rough places, but the drivers of a low gc car have to constantly worry about under body parts all the time. That I didn’t wanted.

5. Approach and departure angle- Beat had a horrible approach angle. I remember one day I was parking the beat in a neighborhood mall where they had a ramp to go to upper floor. Beat got scratched while entering that ramp. I didn’t want that happen to my next car. If a shopping complex can give terror think what would the Himalayas do?

6. Large wheels– People might laugh. I have always wanted large wheels in my car. Because of the roads here in west Bengal. Larger the wheels more they can ignore potholes. So at least 16 inch was what I was looking for. Also, they bring good appearance.

7. Seats– many cars for rejected due to lack of proper lumber and thigh support. Once I sat in a Punto and i20 and I always wanted seat like theirs. I didn’t want a sofa in place of the seat, but a seat with good thigh support and back support. My beat used to give me back pain I remember.

8. Interiors– I was not bothered about interiors, even today. The handling and performance matters most to me not the music system or the auto climate control.

9. After Sales Service– Well this is of course a very important part. Many good cars gets rejected because of this.

10. Budget– My budget was not more than 10 lacs. Period.

11. 2WD/4WD/AWD– I would like to think that everyone who loves to travel wants a 4wd. A 4WD/AWD makes life a lot easier, you can go all the places, without worries, you can show off your 4WD badge. Most of the places I would go would be enough for a 2WD. So no point carrying extra 100 kg and driving around every day. I love jeeps and maybe someday I will own a proper 4wd but for now I need a all rounder.

Where I looked –

I started taking TD for cars ranging between 5-10 lacs. The range had many so many hatchbacks and MVPs and few SUVs.

1. Swift– There is nothing bad about this car. However I didn’t like the new steering and the new light weight body (or was it same even before ?). I have read travelogues about people taking their swift to Ladakh. Our own Kolkata bhpian took his swift last year. Swift was ok, but the space inside was more or less same as the Beat. And that boot space was not enough.

Maruti Swift T-Bhp official review (Maruti Swift : Test Drive & Review)

2. Hyundai i20/Elite i20– The interiors are awesome. Best in class within this budget. The seats were really comfortable. Enough boot space. Elite i20 even has 190mm of GC which I think is quite good. The approach angle was not what I wanted. Silly reason for rejecting a car, but I wanted to tick all my boxes.

I20 Active T-BHP Official review (Hyundai Elite i20 : Official Review)

3. Mahindra Scorpio– The S4 variant was around 11 lacs at that time I think. So thought of giving a TD. I drove an old gen Scorpio long back, but this was different. The interiors where changed, the car looked much better than before. Once the toque started building there was a smile on my face automatically. But then Scorpio is quite large and my wife didn’t like the looks of a Scorpio. But I think it’s a great car.

Mahindra Scorpio T-Bhp official review (Mahindra Scorpio : Official Review)

4. Renault Duster– I have waited so much for the AWD version, I used to follow all the updates. But when the price was announced I was so heartbroken. 14 lac for a 5 seater awd is not practical to me. The car is great and no doubt about that, I think it performs way better than many awd at higher prices. Bhpians has taken their duster to most difficult routes. Even the 2WD version do not come within my budget.

Renault Duster AWD T-Bhp official review (Renault Duster AWD : Official Review)

5. Fiat Avventura– This was another car I waited for long. I was one of the first people who took TD in Kolkata. I loved everything about this crossover or whatever you may want to call it. The slow initial was not a problem for me. The handling and the shock absorbers won my heart. I did many road trips in Fiat 500L and 500X in the UK and am a big fan of Fiat cars. The car got rejected due to the rear door mechanism. I work in an IT company where every time I enter office the security guards check the boot. The rear door of Avventure is not at all easy to open for everyone. Shame what they did with the rear door. The other reason was after sales service. Garodia Fiat was even giving huge discount. I even spoke to few fiat fans in Kolkata before rejecting the car. Well I could live with the rear door, but the after sales service was important. Imagine I am stuck in north Bengal and the only service center is 600km away.

Avventura Test drive and review (Fiat Avventura : Test Drive & Review)

6. Ford EcoSport– EcoSport was one of the first cars I took TD of. I took TD and then I forgot about this car, until when I sat and tried evaluating by parameters. It actually ticked all the boxes. Has good ground clearance, boot space is huge, can seat 5 person easily, easy to drive (for my wife), not a huge car, good approach and departure angles. Bonus is water wading feature and the SUV looks. Well, people may call it Pseudo SUV but it has its own capabilities of handling broken roads. But the problem was price, only the base variant was less than 10 lacs.

EcoSport T-Bhp review (Ford EcoSport : Official Review)

7. Mahindra Thar– There are only very few people on this earth who don’t love Jeeps. I am not one of them. My love for Jeep even took me to the Dealer for a TD. What I didn’t like was the soft top, because of security reasons. Most of the time we keep things in our car, valuable things. I could have bought a hard top and fix it later. For now we decided not to go with Thar, keep it in our hearts for the time being.

Mahindra Thar T-Bhp official review (Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review)

8. Force Gurkha– It felt like I was driving a tractor. I know I used to drive a beat which was smooth and driving a SUV is a different feeling, but still Gurkha was not at all a pleasant car to drive. It might have huge off-roading capabilities but driving a Gurkha on the busy streets of Kolkata would be a nightmare.

9. Maruti Suzuku Ertiga -

Initially Ertiga was not in the list, but after watching this video I started rethinking. I have always hated the beige/light color interior of Ertiga. Ertiga, unlike swift has better build quality and stiffer ride. The ground clearance of Ertiga is also good. The last 2 seats were meant for children only and they cant be use on long road trips. Power delivery was ok for the size of the car. My wife didnt like the Ertiga ever. It always looked like a family car and not a utility vehicle.

Ertiga Official T-Bhp review (Maruti Ertiga : Official Review)

Took TD but not considered - Honda Jazz, Tata Zest, VW Polo, any Sub 4 meter sedan. Mahindra TUV300 was lunched just after I took delivery of the EcoSport. I don't think I would have changed my mind even after taking test drive of TUV300. Maruti S-Cross when launched was overpriced. I also didn't understand why Maruti calls it a premium crossover.

Final Decision and Booking-

EcoSport was my wife's first choice. We could have saved 50K if we had decided the car before January 2015. My wife always liked the EcoSport and the Duster. Duster was rejected due to budget. Rejection of all other cars left us with only 1 option – EcoSport Ambiente. The base variant of the car didn’t have ABS or Airbags. But I had to settle with the base variant. Everything I need was there. After finalizing the EcoSport we went to different dealers. There are mainly 2 dealers in Kolkata – Kaikan Ford and Ganges Ford. The price of the car was same at both the dealers. But Ganges Ford was not giving me good exchange price for the Beat. Hence Ganges was ruled out. Kaikan had 2 showrooms, one near my house and the other one in Howrah. Surprisingly both of the showroom managers were contacting me directly and wanted me to buy from their showroom. It was a month end hence each one of them wanted 1 more car in their sales list. After few days of negotiation the higher management of Kaikan Ford decided that the showroom near my house would be delivering the car. In the process of bargaining and negotiating the price was reduced by Rs 5000 and exchange price of the beat was Rs 10000 more. I intended to buy the insurance by myself as they were quoting 36K which is more than bharti axa online. I guess every dealer tries to make profit from wherever they can. Atlast they agreed on 24K for a bumper to bumper insurance. Final price was 8.9 lacs and they agreed to give me 2.10 lac for my beat. The dealer agreed to give seat covers, mud flap and floor mat as free. Though the quality of the free items were not up to the mark. The cost included 2 years of warranty.

Delivery Process –

Delivery process was relatively easy. I booked an orange ambient version with a minimum token amount. They already had a new car lying at their stockyard. The sales guy told me that car was brought for someone else but due to some finance issue that car was not delivered. We went to check the car and found out fog inside the back light casing. The car was lying there for months during monsoon. We asked the sales person to get us a new car. It took another 10 days for the new lot to arrive at stockyard. The sales person called me as soon as the new car arrived. I completed the PDI (thanks to TBHP for the checklist) and was happy with the car. The loan process from SBI was completed by that time. I paid the rest of the amount and after 3 days took delivery of a brand new orange EcoSport Ambient Diesel.

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_20150811_112641_1439273552578.jpg

Name:  11905780_1128971510449574_8694420472661215727_n.jpg
Views: 4381
Size:  86.2 KB

8 Months and 19000 km Ownership review -

The official review http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...al-review.html (Ford EcoSport : Official Review) has a lot of information about the interiors of the car. I will write only what I felt is worth mentioning in this thread.

The EcoSport was bought primarily for touring purpose but as it is the only vehicle (I have sold my KTM Duke 200 few days back) I have at this time it became my primary mode of commute. So I take it out every time I have to go somewhere. My office is mere 10 kms from my home that too within city. My parental house is 70 km where I visit every alternate weekend. So the odometer counter increases only while I am on a road trip.

Build Quality-

Coming from a tiny hatchback the main advantage is the feel of a big car. You are respected more. The build quality of EcoSport is very very good. Ford is always known to its build quality and EcoSport is not an exemption. While opening the front doors you will get the feeling. EcoSport makes me feel safe just because of the build quality. Otherwise my car doesn't have ABS or Airbags. The metal given in EcoSport justifies the price. The paint quality is equally good.

Engine/Gear and Performance-

Te engine is noisy in initial gears. But when you are in 3rd, 4th and 5th the engine doesn't scream at all. Ford engines are like that I guess, I have driven a Ford focus and it behaved same. I do get the engine sounds despite having a brilliant silent cabin. But the engine is not stressed at any point of time. I have driven the car at triple digit speeds for hours on empty highways and found out that the engine is one of the relaxed engine in this segment. There are no uncertain vibration at any rpm.

During my 19000 kms of ownership and 16-20 hours long journey at a stretch I have never seen the temperature of the engine to increase. The engine has enough power to do triple digit speeds at a stretch with 4 people onboard.

Only the initial turbo lag is a concern during road trips. The turbo kicks around 1900 rpm which is quite late. Its ok on the highways where you can use the upper gears. But only 1st and 2nd gear are useful in the mountains. You have to rev hard to get the car moving in the inclines.

The gear isn't the smoothest of them all. It feels very old at times. If you are coming from Hyundai you will probably not like the gear at all. During my next service I will ask the service center to look at my gear.

Suspension/Handling/Ground Clearance-

The handling is same as any other Fords. EcoSport handles like a small car (It is a car afterall). I love the way it can be manoeuvred within traffic. One of the advantages of EPS would be driving within city traffic. I have always loved a hydraulic steering and hated EcoSport's steering at first, but with due course I have started to like it. The steering is small and perfectly balanced. It is neither as heavy as Punto's nor as light as I20's. Unlike the Hyundai I get feedback very often. Surprising for a EPS ?

The stiff suspension plays an important part too. They not only provide comfort on potholes but also helps in high speeds. The ride is hard if you compare with Duster or a Punto. But on the highways EcoSport is solid and stable. Its very difficult to know the actual speed without looking at the speedometer. EcoSport has both power and stability that one requires for highway cruising. There is a small amount of body roll in the corners due to increased height but that is negotiable.

The ground clearance is a savior. One of the selling points of EcoSport I believe. On a roadtrip when you are stuck in traffic then sometime you have to take the offroad and then the ground clearance helps. Where other hatchback drivers will thinks twice I easily take the offroad to bypass the traffic.

Interior and Space -

I love the space in the car. It can hold 2 large bags, 2 small bags and more than enough luggage for 2 people for a 15 days roads trip. Even if you are traveling with 5 people the car has the space to hold enough luggage for a weekend trip or more.

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_6581.jpg

The dashboard is neat and compact. There is a small display which shows time, song being played, fm channel etc. Ambiente has bluetooth connectivity which allows to make and receive calls and play music. There are 3 knobs for AC and fan below the main dashboard.

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_6582.jpg

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_6583.jpg

The plastic quality is relatively good. The front doors are heavy than the rear doors. Rear door do not have power window. I dont like the light color in interior, it becomes dirty very easily.

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_6584.jpg

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_6585.jpg

Rear seat are comfortable. Though I havent been at the rear seat on any long journey. My friends who went with us on Uttarakhand trip says rear seats were really good and they didnt have any backpain or any problem. Our Uttarakhand trip was 7 days and 3500 kms. However being narrow rear can only hold 2 people comfortably. For a small city ride 3 people is welcome. The leg space is just above average. Better than a hatchback but not as good as sedan.

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_20151004_061908_hdr.jpg

As I said earlier I am quite happy with the space the car provides. We did 7 days trip with 4 people on board. Everyone had proper luggage.

Console and Music System-

The stock music system is very good. They have very clear and loud sound. It has USB and AUX input. The AUX input is not on the dashboard but near the hand brake. The music system is very easy to use and has dedicated buttons to choose source. Only thing is I am not able to move to specific songs in a usb pen drive. The music system also has Bluetooth connectivity which is again very easy to connect. You can connect 5 phones to the music player. It has calling features as well

Ambiente do not have rpm meter instead has a large fuel gauge meter. The console has a instant fuel efficiency gauge at the top.

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_6595.jpg

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_6594.jpg

Wheels and Tyres-

My car initially came with 15 inch steel rim and GoodYear assurance Tyres. The Tyres were 195/65 R15. On tarmac the Goodyear assurance is an excellent tyre. It has very low noise and very good grip on dry roads. It is softer than MRF and better. But the sidewalls are way to soft for any bad roads.

The Titanium version comes with 16 inch rim and 205/60 profile tyre.

I had changed the tyres after 17000 km. Its very early to change tyres but I was really fade up with the side walls and puncture.

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_6587.jpg

This is the new Yokohama Geolander. It fills the arch properly. The previous tires looks a bit smaller as the car is tall.

Fuel Efficiency-

Fuel efficiency was on the positive side until I changed the tires. I used to get 19-20 if driven at 80 kmph on the highway. In city I have always got 16+. The AC is on 100% time. The FE has dropped around 1 kmpl after I have installed those larger AT tyres.

Ownership Cost So far -

I am a regular customer of Kaikan Ford Airport service center (Link on google map). 2 Service has been done from there. Cost of regular service is quite less compared to Chevrolet and is at par with Maruti/Hyundai. My car is now at 19000 km and waiting for the 3rd service. There was a issue with the rear door lock, the service center guys have replaced that under warranty.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 4188
Size:  41.6 KB

Few pictures from my previous road trips -

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_6495.jpg

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_6470.jpg

Name:  DSCF5218.jpg
Views: 4159
Size:  343.0 KB

Regards,
Prasenjit.

Last edited by Aditya : 30th June 2016 at 06:57. Reason: Spacing, mention of high speed driving
Uprasenjit is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2016, 12:45   #2
BHPian

Default re: Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel

Minor modifications-

Before getting delivery I installed a pair of fog lamps from showroom. The interesting part about these fog lamps are the service guys had to unlock a software to be able to use the fog lamp switch, which means if I had installed aftermarket fog lamps I would couldn't use the default fog lamp switch.

The next thing added was an engine guard. The default engine guard was made out of some kind of paperboard. The new engine guard is made out of ABS plastic. ABS plastic is at least better than the previous one and can protect the engine from small stones at high speed. I have already hit a coconut shell at high speed on the highway and the engine guard is intact. It might not stand against a big rock but am I going to drive over large stones with that speed?

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_20150925_135320_hdr.jpg

Silver wheel caps weren’t going with the car. Hence wheel caps were painted black. I bought 2 cans of matt black spray paint from Flipkart which cost me 300 bucks. 2 coats of paint on each wheel caps were done. I think after all these 15000 km I will have to repaint them once again. The color has started to fade away. I like the matt finishing and hate the chromes in a crossover or SUV. Someday I might gift myself some black alloys.

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_20150906_121229_hdr.jpg

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_20150901_110338_hdr.jpg

There were 2 different tyre that came with EcoSport -MRF and Goodyear. Mine came with Goodyear. On tarmac the Goodyear assurance is an excellent tyre. It has very low noise and very good grip on dry roads. It is softer than MRF and better. But the sidewalls are way to soft for any bad roads. The famous spiral roads of Zuluk has hairpin bends but gains height with each bend. This gives immense pressure to the side walls of any car. With such pressure if you hit or rub a small stone chip the sidewall might develop cracks. Same happened with me. 1 tyre completely tore off from the side wall and the other cracked a bit. While returning from the roadtrip I had to buy 1 piece of the same tyre from Siliguri because I couldn't drive with a tyre which has a small crack and no working spare.

Name:  DSCF5339.jpg
Views: 4097
Size:  364.6 KB

After that I even went to Uttarakhand on a roadtrip with the same sets of tyre. My pockets werent heavy that time and I was equally confused about which tyre to buy. I always wanted high profile and with thicker side walls, probably AT tyres. But that would mean sacrifice in handling and breaking and what not.

It is only on 30th of May just after I came back from UK I changed the Goodyear tyres and installed Yokohama Geolander AT tyres. My initial size was 195/65 R15 and the Yokos are 205/70 R15. But if you compare with the titanium version which is 205/60 R16 my upgrade is only 2.something per cent change. I always wanted AT tyres and Yokos are the only AT tyres I got in this size. So despite people asking me not to use Yokos and use better ones like Continental I installed Geolander AT

These Geolanders are heavy tyres hence there is a noticeable change in acceleration and breaking due to less surface area. The car looks cooler now and hopefully my puncture problem would now be resolved.

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_6493.jpg

I have just been to North Bengal and these tyres works like charm. I could never try go off road with my previous tires. Here is a small video of what my EcoSport did. There was a XUV which couldn't climb twice, and then a local driver took the car upwards. Even my EcoSport succeeded after trying twice.

Roadtrips done so far in our EcoSport -

Uttarakhand Kumaon Region, Ayodhya Hills, East Sikkim, Darjeeling, Kapimpong, numerious South bengal trips which are not documented yet.

I think that would be enough for now. As I am writing this my car has crossed 19500 km. I would take it to service next week. There are few scratches that I have to fix and apply for insurance. I will update the cost of service and ownership after that or if I have any other updates

Till then....Drive Safe !!!!

Regards,
Prasenjit

Last edited by Uprasenjit : 29th June 2016 at 13:41.
Uprasenjit is offline   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 07:04   #3
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2016, 10:09   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel

Nice Report Prasenjit. I think Elessar is a perfect match for you. It ticks all the boxes in your list. I am appalled to see such a gigantic fuel gauge. I didn't notice it earlier I believe.

Wish you many more happy miles !!

Regards,

Pawan
PapaBravo is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 13:01   #5
BHPian

The AT tyres were very helpful in slush. We did little offroading (or call it soft-roading) yesterday and the EcoSport performed flawlessly. This is the place we drove -

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img20160711wa0007.jpg

This is the video -

I have also measured the ride height with another Trend EcoSport and the ground clearance seems to have increased by almost 1 inch
Uprasenjit is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 12:20   #6
BHPian

Default Re: Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel - 20000 Km update

Last weekend my EcoSport underwent its 3rd Service @ 20000 km. There were no issues to report so it was a regular service.

Service cost break up-

Wash fluid pouch - 54.51
Gasket drain plug - 40.15
Filter eng oil - 346.25
Filter A/C fresh AI - 143.32
Filter Air cleaner - 196.43
Cotton waste - 26.20
Seat covers - 26.20
Engine Oil - 1058.68
Motor care/Engine room waxing - 248.00
20000 km service - Duratorq Diesel - 1275

With taxes the total bill was 3900

After changing the tyres there was balancing issues, the steering was vibrating from dot 100 kmph mark. The service center (Kaikan Ford, Kolkata) couldn't fix the balancing issue. The service manager was repeatedly warning me that the shockers, axle will have their age reduced due to heavy tires instead of trying to balance my tires.

However he didnt charge for balancing. Gave me a discount as they couldnt fix the problem.

I balanced the tires from a local shop in Newtown.
Uprasenjit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 01:37   #7
BHPian

Crisp and well put down review of Ecosport in Ambiente avatar. I haven't noticed your ownership review all these time. Good to know that you are enjoying Ecosport and utilizing the advantages it offers over your old car. The matt black customization along with the new AT tyres makes your ride stand apart from the hundreds of Ecosport which flock our roads these days The ambiente variant being base model lacks some essential safety features like ABS/Airbags, Tachometer etc but these things are not there in base model of many cars sold here like Swift & Polo. Thankfully it gets some essential equipment which matters like:
  • Front power windows.
  • Electrically adjustable ORVM with indicators.
  • Fully functional mid.
  • Remote locking.
  • Nice audio system with Bluetooth.
  • Full sized spare.
  • Wheel caps.
The quality of free accessories like seat cover and foot mats doesn't seem to be of very good quality, i got carpet mats instead of the all weather one which you have. You can give a ground clearance report with your plastic engine guard I believe you dont have the rear parking sensor. You can check the official rear parking camera accessory with day night RVM. Will stay tuned to this thread for any future updates and mods. Till then happy driving with Elessar
Samfromindia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 10:02   #8
BHPian

Talking Re: Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel

My EcoSport completed 1 year yesterday. Clocked exactly 22726 kms. It has been a wonderful journey. Its too early to comment on the quality but seems like the car is well built. No rattles till date even after driving on one of the worse roads possible.

I have spend total Rs 11508 on servicing and maintenance. The average fuel consumption is 15kmpl.

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-13876585_1362668683746521_8263135964314728565_n.jpg

Modifications planned, minor ones -

1. Led Spot light, I might remove those flood lights
2. 15inch Alloy wheels
3. New mobile holder and dedicated mobile for navigation
4. Due to increase in height now getting in and out has become dificult, so I am considering to install side steps.
Uprasenjit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2016, 12:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
New mobile holder and dedicated mobile for navigation
This is a good idea - a dedicated mobile for navigation is a blessing, since you don't have to worry about exhausting the battery on your primary mobile, nor do you have to keep fitting and removing your mobile, and plugging it in for charging.

I have fitted a mobile with a 6" screen in the center console, using a holder that slides into the CD player. At that distance a 6" screen is a great size, and I don't have to struggle to see it.

Moreover, I keep that navigation mobile permanently plugged in for charging. There have been instances where I've not taken my EcoSport out for up to two weeks with the phone plugged in, and there's been no impact at all to the battery.

Do you intend to put in a SIM card for that mobile? If so, a 3G-enabled SIM will be good, as you can also access the internet (e.g. favourites from Google Maps/Nokia HERE) and in an emergency it can serve as a backup phone. With this arrangement, I am able to plan my trips, add favourites on my PC or my primary phone, knowing they will be synced to the other phone. Do look at offline maps too, given you like to go off the beaten path!

Once again, congratulations on your EcoSport. I particularly like the picture of your wife (I presume) standing by the car dressed in matching colours!
arunphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 13:06   #10
BHPian

A friend of mine brought me 2 Led bars from Amazon us. Each 6.5 inch and 36 watts. They are spot lights unlike my previous leds which were flood. So I removed the flood leds and installed these.

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_20160812_122523900_hdr.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunphilip View Post
This is a good idea - a dedicated mobile for navigation is a blessing,

Do you intend to put in a SIM card for that mobile? If so, a 3G-enabled SIM will be good, as you can also access the internet (e.g. favourites from Google Maps/Nokia HERE) and in an emergency it can serve as a backup phone. With this arrangement..

Once again, congratulations on your EcoSport. I particularly like the picture of your wife (I presume) standing by the car dressed in matching colours!
Arunphilip - Thanks. I bought a horizontal car holder from Amazon and a Lenovo Vibe K5 just today. I usually have offline maps installed and a 3G network sim as well for traffic updates. This is how my dash looks now -

Elessar - Ownership review of my Ford EcoSport Diesel-img_20160812_122154715_hdr.jpg
Uprasenjit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 15:47   #11
BHPian

Excellent review, Uprasenjit. The review covered all the bases. The soft roading videos were icing on the top. They very well serve as demo for the capabilities of the ecosport. The tyres look well-sized for your Elessar. I always felt the OEM tyres even on the titanium were a tad puny.

There was one doubt which I always had. How easy is it to remove and refit the spare wheel when compared to hatchbacks?
jetsetgo08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2016, 16:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Excellent review, Uprasenjit. The review covered all the bases. The soft roading videos were icing on the top. They very well serve as demo for the capabilities of the ecosport. The tyres look well-sized for your Elessar. I always felt the OEM tyres even on the titanium were a tad puny.

There was one doubt which I always had. How easy is it to remove and refit the spare wheel when compared to hatchbacks?
Thank you.

Changing tyres are very easy. The spare is outside and removing the spare is child's play. However the tools are still kept inside boot. If you have a large number of luggage you just have to make enough space for the tools to come out, unlike hatchbacks/sedans where you have to take out each and every luggage.

I remember I had a flat tyre once and the complete process of changing that tyre took me 15 minutes.
Old 22nd August 2016, 09:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uprasenjit View Post
A friend of mine brought me 2 Led bars from Amazon us. Each 6.5 inch and 36 watts. They are spot lights unlike my previous leds which were flood. So I removed the flood leds and installed these.

This is the video of the Led bar -