Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st July 2016, 21:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Back to being nomadic: Ford EcoSport 1.5L Petrol Titanium AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Finally, your Review is live. Congratulations on the Ecosport AT!

I personally feel the DCT isn't that bad when compared to the TC's, CVT's and AMT's which the competition offers. Yes the DSG is in a different league but City i-Vtec to Vento DSG wasn't really an upgrade from a family car's perspective. Surprisingly i found the rear legroom more than adequate as against mentioned in many reviews online. Considering your requirements (rather the restrictions that you had ) Ecosport fits in perfectly.

For a Ford Petrol AT you are getting terrific fuel efficiency. Just waiting to hear the increase in FE once your dad gets this car.
Haha, thanks!

We'll now how the DCT holds up a few years later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Interesting to see there isnt much swing in FE figures between city and highway. Your city figures are also quite good, what are your city driving conditions?

Did you check the Aspire for comparison sake?
Moderate with some bumper to bumper traffic actually; with 100 a/c.

Aspire, as a vehicle? Nope, I was clear on the EcoSport. It doesn't look very different on the inside from the EcoSport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Is there a "manual" mode where we can take control, if needed? I didn't see any +/- slots next to S or D positions.
There is; there is a button with +/- on the right side of the gear know. I can't post a pic now, I will in a day.

You have the option of either an automatic or manual transmission when you drive on S. Say you engage S, the car continues to drive in automatic. If you press + or -, it becomes manual and the console displays the gear engaged (1 through 6).

Once you've turned to manual on S, you can't go automatic on S. You can shift to D (which can only drive automatic) and then can shift back to S to drive automatic/manual.
libranof1987 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 02:18   #17
BHPian

Congrats on the new car. Wishing you miles of happy ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Is there a "manual" mode where we can take control, if needed? I didn't see any +/- slots next to S or D positions.
From the official review:
http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/FordEcoSport/l/Engine/ford-ecosport-02.jpg

http://www.team-bhp.com/carpics/Ford...cosport-02.jpg

Refer the above link for the picture.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 22nd July 2016 at 02:20. Reason: Posting link again. The first one doesn't work for some reason.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 09:51   #18
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the smallish but growing family of AT Ecosport Bhpians!
Wish you many miles of safe motoring!
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 19:06   #19
BHPian

Congrats on the AT Ecosport from a fellow AT Ecosportian.
Got my Silver Black Edition AT on June 18.
Considering the Reverse camera, Can you post some pics of the IRVM please.
SanScorpio is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2016, 15:10   #20
BHPian

Congratulations on your new ride! Wish you enjoy the car for a long time.
Sensible choice going the automatic way, considering the rise in the traffic in our cities.
akhil994 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 03:16   #21
BHPian

Congrats on the AT.

Would recommend to buy the 3 year Ford TMP (Total Maintenance Plan) after considering your kms/year. I think for 3 years / 30K Kms - its about 24k

Regarding IRVM - auto dimming feature with reverse display plugged in - many have the same concern. Even my dealer / SA have given up on this. Nothing can be done at least from dealership end (had warranty concerns to get that done outside)

Did you consider the black pack for additional 20k ?
Planning to upgrade the OEM headlights?

I've booked the Mars Red TDCI Tit+ black edition. Completed my 3rd week of wait period, probably another 1 week :(

Last edited by Eyas337 : 24th July 2016 at 03:20. Reason: Added additional query
Eyas337 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2016, 11:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Welcome to the smallish but growing family of AT Ecosport Bhpians!
Wish you many miles of safe motoring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
Congratulations on your new ride! Wish you enjoy the car for a long time.
Sensible choice going the automatic way, considering the rise in the traffic in our cities.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanScorpio View Post
Congrats on the AT Ecosport from a fellow AT Ecosportian.
Got my Silver Black Edition AT on June 18.
Considering the Reverse camera, Can you post some pics of the IRVM please.
Thank you!

Please find a detailed description of the reverse camera and IVRM here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post4010137 (Back to being nomadic: Ford EcoSport 1.5L Petrol Titanium AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
Congrats on the AT.

Would recommend to buy the 3 year Ford TMP (Total Maintenance Plan) after considering your kms/year. I think for 3 years / 30K Kms - its about 24k

Regarding IRVM - auto dimming feature with reverse display plugged in - many have the same concern. Even my dealer / SA have given up on this. Nothing can be done at least from dealership end (had warranty concerns to get that done outside)

Did you consider the black pack for additional 20k ?
Planning to upgrade the OEM headlights?

I've booked the Mars Red TDCI Tit+ black edition. Completed my 3rd week of wait period, probably another 1 week :(
Thank you!

I'll check with the dealer regarding this TMP; the SA didn't mention it so I didn't know something of this sort existed. Depending on what is covered through this, I'll take it up.

Black pack, you mean black edition? No, I actually liked the usual version better.

Yes! I need to upgrade the headlights; just that, apart from changing the entire headlight assembly with projector, I haven't yet seen a very effective yet reasonable solution.

This is another attempt; I'll check with him how his experience has been and will take a call.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4020748 (Ford EcoSport : Official Review)

But yes, this headlight problem has to be resolved urgently as I'm hesitant to undertake highway drives at night.

I tweeted Ford last week and they got back asking for my contact details. When they do call me, I'll complain about the headlights and the IVRM (non auto-dimming); let's see what they have to say.

Congratulations on your EcoSport; hope you get it soon!
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2016, 10:57   #23
BHPian

Congratulations for the Eco Sport AT. You've arrived!
That's one of the few vehicles that ticked your priorities(restrictions). A lovely vehicle indeed. I'm sure you enjoy the office commute now!.

I never driven an Eco Sport AT, may be I should try and get of a dealer TD vehicle (read between the lines ).
mikon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2016, 10:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

I finally managed to get the Sync update done to v5.9.

I have a Mac so had to find a Windows laptop to download the update; only IE manages to find the USB drive, not Safari or Chrome.

With that done, I thought of reporting the update on the website. Turns out, for that too, the USB drive used to download the update has to be inserted. Can only do this until I have access to a Windows laptop.

I don't see a noticeable difference in Sync post update; the saved FM channels exist, but I had to re-pair my phone.

That apart, the odo reads 2552 so it's time for the first free service. Have an appointment tomorrow; plan to get the oil changed and oil filter replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
Congratulations for the Eco Sport AT. You've arrived!
That's one of the few vehicles that ticked your priorities(restrictions). A lovely vehicle indeed. I'm sure you enjoy the office commute now!.

I never driven an Eco Sport AT, may be I should try and get of a dealer TD vehicle (read between the lines ).
Haha, thank you!

TD has been arranged at your doorstep
libranof1987 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 12:52   #25
BHPian

Hi. Could have tried the Polo GT TSI. For needs of a nuclear family and with a sedan already in garage, I recently bought a Polo GT TSI and am thoroughly pleased with the choice of car. I had booked a creta AT earlier but somehow could not bite onto buying it. Saved a few lacs and every time I drive the car, get a huge smile on my face.
Alisiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2016, 13:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Got the first free service done at 2456 kms.

Although this service is just a general check up, I asked for the engine oil and oil filter to be changed. And a top up or the washer fluid.

Total: Rs. 1137.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyas337 View Post
I checked with the SA on the TMP; you can take it at the discounted price until six months of purchase. I'm considering either the 3 yrs/30k or 3yrs/40k plan, will take some time to decide.

The other thought is: do I need this at all? This plan covers the routine consumables that you replace during service; so typically you'd need to spend over Rs. 8k/yr on servicing for this to break even. If the clutch holds up, I doubt the service cost would exceed this number. The plans that really make sense (5 yrs/60k kms or something of that sort) are priced terribly (Rs. 81k).

Of course, the nature of such plans is to buffer you in the eventuality of the unexpected. I already have the 2+2 extended warranty; might get the TMP too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisiddiqui View Post
Hi. Could have tried the Polo GT TSI.
The primary reason for this car has been to enable travel; luggage and size (Polo being a hatch) would have been a problem. Considering the fact that I don't foresee a situation where I need to seat five adults, a compact SUV fit my requirements perfectly.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th July 2016 at 13:49.
libranof1987 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2016, 02:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I checked with the SA on the TMP; you can take it at the discounted price until six months of purchase. I'm considering either the 3 yrs/30k or 3yrs/40k plan, will take some time to decide.

The other thought is: do I need this at all? This plan covers the routine consumables that you replace during service; so typically you'd need to spend over Rs. 8k/yr on servicing for this to break even. If the clutch holds up, I doubt the service cost would exceed this number. The plans that really make sense (5 yrs/60k kms or something of that sort) are priced terribly (Rs. 81k).

Of course, the nature of such plans is to buffer you in the eventuality of the unexpected. I already have the 2+2 extended warranty; might get the TMP too.
I guess its more of being prepared for the unexpected and for peace of mind.

To my knowledge, 3 years TMP is the max from years perspective, while offering with range of KMS (30k thru 60k). Not finding the Ford India link, but sharing the dealership one (pretty much same for all dealers):

https://www.modyford.com/Page/109/to...erabad-lbnagar

Not sure if your SA is referring to Scheduled Service Plan (see below):
http://www.india.ford.com/ford-servi...eduled-service

Also came across below:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ence-plan.html (Ford's Total Maintainence Plan?)
Eyas337 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 12:53   #28
BHPian

is the 5th yr extended warranty not available onthe Ecosport AT? its mentioned onFord's website ...
BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 13:38   #29
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations NG. The Ecosport is a wonderful choice.

I have always admired the Ecosport for its versatility, practicality, small footprint and high ground clearance. Add to that the good build quality, features and gizmos, good luggage space, SUV stance - it is indeed a perfect machine to use around town as well as the highways.

Wishing you many happy miles with your latest toy !
//M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2016, 20:35   #30
Senior - BHPian

It's been four months now and the odometer reads 6500 kms.

The EcoSport has been on highway trips to Mumbai, Goa and Aurangabad, in addition to serving as my daily drive to work.

Given that I got the EcoSport right at the onset of monsoon, it has been subject to a fair amount of abuse on the deteriorating roads.

My highway drives have contributed roughly half of the kms clocked, so, I've had a fair understanding of how the car behaves, and how to get past some quirks.

A universal point: the headlights are absolutely rubbish, as has been documented everywhere. I will be looking at a solution soon.

On the highway:

- When overtaking, keep a margin of 2-3 sec for the AT box to downshift to give you the acceleration you need
- Ghats are best tackled in "S" mode
- FE is best (17 kmpl +) when you drive steady in the 80-90 km/hr range and goes down to 13-14ish when driven at 100 km/hr

In the city:

- The car tends to leap forward when you tap the accelerator; so you need to have a very light push, on not press at all, when in bumper to bumper traffic

Some misc points:

- The ICE and other multimedia features work like a charm. The voice clarity on the bluetooth connectivity is very good; much, much better than the one on the i20

Overall, it's been a good performer so far and it has done well at whatever was thrown at it.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 27th October 2016 at 20:37.
libranof1987 is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote