Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th July 2017, 18:24   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Back to being nomadic: Ford EcoSport 1.5L Petrol Titanium AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
The low beam comes on when you switch on the fog lamp (through the fog lamp switch next to headlamp leveler)

The XP Micro high beam is connected to the headlight high beam; so the XP Micro high beam will come on *if* the headlight is switched on and on high beam.

You can't have the high beam on XP Micro without the headlight being switched on and on high beam.
Hey thats a wonderful addition. Absolutely vital in rainy season on Pune's peripheral roads I must say. I'm glad I stumbled onto your thread as I was looking for something like this desperately. Have sent a query to Xenonplanet already. Waiting for a feedback from them.

The wiring can be customized I assume to decide when the lamp / high-beam comes up based on needs. But one query - Does your fog lamp also change to high beam when you flash the high beam (passing etc)? If yes, that will be quite a startling experience for the oncoming driver .
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2017, 19:47   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Have sent a query to Xenonplanet already. Waiting for a feedback from them.
Do go through this thread so you have the complete picture:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4229121

The issue seems to be with the install rather than the product but the install is what matters more.

The install on the five cars from Pune was done by a guy who came from Mumbai; and "seems" a much cleaner job than what you'll see on the above thread.

Quote:
But one query - Does your fog lamp also change to high beam when you flash the high beam (passing etc)? If yes, that will be quite a startling experience for the oncoming driver .
Yep, if the XP Micro is turned on, if you flash the high beam, the XP Micro high beam comes on too.

It is quite a delight against those pesky cab drivers who think it's only them celebrating Diwali.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 10:52   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do go through this thread so you have the complete picture:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4229121

The issue seems to be with the install rather than the product but the install is what matters more.

The install on the five cars from Pune was done by a guy who came from Mumbai; and "seems" a much cleaner job than what you'll see on the above thread.
Yes I have seen the thread just after looking at your thread & sending the query to XP. I'm looking for other projectors as well now. Pune really has a terrible lack of good car modification, accessory & electrics guys. The so called accessory stores have absolutely no expertise & they are best at only selling perfumes, mats, bumpers, roof racks and visors IMHO.

Quote:
Yep, if the XP Micro is turned on, if you flash the high beam, the XP Micro high beam comes on too.

It is quite a delight against those pesky cab drivers who think it's only them celebrating Diwali.
Truely value for money then
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 11:45   #49
BHPian

Quote:
AT box:

Let me get this out of the way, the EcoSport AT is not even remotely an enthusiast's car. The AT box is best tuned for city driving; it will serve you well.

However, the moment you are out of city conditions, it is outside its comfort zone.

Gearshift from 1-5 typically happen around 2k rpm when driven on a light foot.
I have realised the same thing, upshift 1 to 5 is around 2000 RPM with a light foot, and can go on upto 3000 RPM with a not so light foot.
Getting of the throttle also triggers a upshift. But the 5to 6th shift is un predictable, even if I get my foot off the throttle at 80 it doesn't upshift, but if I'm cruising 80 to 90 with a very light touch on the throttle, I see the RPM drop, and I'm in 6th, anything more than a feathers touch and there is a immediate downshift to 5th.
Easing off in 6th the gear remains engaged even if speed drops to 60, but then if I tap the throttle the down shift is from 6th to 3rd and it is jerky, after that you can notice the upshifts to 4th and 5th.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2018, 20:12   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

The odometer was crossed 19800 so took an appointment for the 20k service; by the time I took the car in, it was 19910.

The 20k service for the AT involves oil, oil filter and although only a check of the air filter, the SA replaced it. The total bill came to Rs. 4748.

I asked him to check the AT for a mild shudder on the 2nd gear (only at specific instances such as accelerating after having slowed down for a speed-breaker). While he opened the job card, he mentioned that Ford has issued a FSA for the AT; it involves a software patch that fine-tunes the actuator behavior. He didn't/couldn't explain in detail. The shudder hasn't gone/drastically improved but a couple of AT owners mentioned this is an accepted issue with the DCT on the EcoSport.

The SA took this opportunity to include a 490 charge for VCM/IDS programming: it checks/removes any faults, he said (duh!), and a 421 charge for 3M - Paint Protect. While these two unnecessary charges increased my bill by 1k, I did not argue to have them removed. It wasn't worth the bitter taste it would leave with the SA. Their competency is suspect and hence, I'd need things to be on good terms if I have to re-visit the A.S.S. for a recurring issue.

Back to being nomadic: Ford EcoSport 1.5L Petrol Titanium AT-img_3263.png

The tyres have about 5mm tread depth and front brake pads have 5mm left (they are amber, green is >5) and rear at 3mm (green).

Apart from that, the EcoSport has been a good steed to own. I've taken it on really bad roads: Konkan in monsoon, and apart from gifting me a few rattles which were fixed during service, it has dealt with whatever was thrown at it.

Here's when we went off-roading during a camping trip with fellow bhpians.

Back to being nomadic: Ford EcoSport 1.5L Petrol Titanium AT-dsc_1111.png

Until next time!

Back to being nomadic: Ford EcoSport 1.5L Petrol Titanium AT-dsc_1119.png
Old 10th April 2018, 20:19   #51
BHPian

Went through the entire thread just now. Crisp and extremely helpful. Appreciate bringing out the finer nuances both in terms of pros and cons.

Would you now recommend buying this very model (particularly with the facelift already launched months ago). Reason being I have come across a sparingly used car.

Over and above the overall package that the Ecosport offers, what draws me to this variant is the presence of six airbags and the absence of leather seats (as a matter of principle as well as the functionality). This combo is not available in the newer Titanium petrol AT variant - and of course the pricing would also be higher. So at around 10 lakhs it seems to be a good buy. While I would lose out on the multitude of the improvements that the newer version has, I would take those as being luxury more than a necessity. No other car seems to give the same value-for-money proposition which the Ecosport offers. In fact I have noted the key points from your review when I go for the TD.

Appreciate your views. Thanks!
krackr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2018, 21:18   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackr View Post
Would you now recommend buying this very model (particularly with the facelift already launched months ago). Reason being I have come across a sparingly used car.
How old is the car, age and odometer?

The pre vs. facelift have the following differences:

1) Engine: Four vs. three-cylinder
2) AT Box: DCT vs. TC
3) Infotainment: no touchscreen/basic visual in the pre-facelift

4) Safety features: this is where the pre-facelift is a massive winner. By offering the AT on Titanium, one with six airbags, Ford made a brilliant decision. You didn't have the temptation to get the lower variant and compromise on safety, nor did you spend on unnecessary features just to get six airbags.

This also meant the cost was controlled.

How the two engine+gearbox combinations compare, they're both too young to know long term.

However, if you're okay with a pre-owned car, go for the pre-facelift car. It is tremendous value for money. Do carry out a thorough inspection and get the maximum possible Extended Warranty.
Old 11th April 2018, 16:37   #53
BHPian

Quote:
How old is the car, age and odometer?
Went for a TD today. This is a year old with ~ 5000 on the odometer. It is an unregistered vehicle possibly being used for test drives.

Quote:
However, if you're okay with a pre-owned car, go for the pre-facelift car. It is tremendous value for money. Do carry out a thorough inspection and get the maximum possible Extended Warranty.
Yes I am fine with a used vehicle, only concern I have is that since it would have been used for test drives it may have been subjected to rough usage. However the road test was fine from what I could figure out. Went over some extremely rough patches as well as on smooth roads. No apparent anomalies in the electricals or the AC. But since this is from a layman's perspective would there be any other tips you would advise, much appreciate.
krackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2018, 10:26   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krackr View Post
Went for a TD today. This is a year old with ~ 5000 on the odometer. It is an unregistered vehicle possibly being used for test drives.
Ah, TD vehicle and that too, a year old/5k kms. Unless you're strapped for budget, I'd suggest you pass. Esp. since it is an AT.

If you do decide to pick it up, get manufacturer warranty for at least 2+2 after you buy it.
Old 9th June 2018, 07:08   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

A tremendous departure from our usual stock battery experience:

The stock battery (Ford 43 Ah) had been showing weird behavior during the first crank of the day for several weeks now. On pressing the Start button, the engine seemed to try to crank, rpm hovered around 50-rpm, whirring noise and then it quietened down.

Took it to Ford who refused there was a problem (since subsequent cranks in the day were perfect); at my insistence, did a battery test, which came out Good. At my further insistence, had their mechanic come over at my place on a Monday morning to show them the problem (first crank of the day being a problem). Despite not having used the car for two days (deliberately), the car started enthusiastically when the mechanic cranked it (no surprises there ).

It got a little better and then it got much worse. It took three-four cranks during the first start. Took it to a friend's fng: this time, the cranking voltage got below 10.

That's it. Got the battery changed: Amaron Flo 43 Ah. 4500. And the car is three weeks shy of two years.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote