Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2016, 15:39   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,503
Thanked: 7,827 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Great review again Karan. Your practical comparisons of the LCI with your F30 were excellent.
I'm considering the 3 series to replace my Superb. I have test driven the GLA,CLA and X1 already but now after discounts the 3 series is approx the same price.
Have you driven the 320i?
Thank You Sahil

I haven't driven the 320i yet, but yes its having the same N20 block of the 328i (now known as the B48 engine for LCI). It will be really refined and with a tune will be similar to 328i performance level.

The added bonus is that the 320i is a CBU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post


Excellent review there, Karan! Covered all the details a prospective buyer may look for! Like I mentioned the other day, 328i was the car which blew me away by its performance and all-rounded package! Although 320i may also feel suffice, the more important question is, will 330i possibly be getting back to India? If yes... great news for enthusiasts!
Thank You Ace for your positive comments

Sadly no news of the 330i for Indian market yet.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 15:53   #17
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,533
Thanked: 5,568 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
I haven't driven the 320i yet, but yes its having the same N20 block of the 328i (now known as the B48 engine for LCI). It will be really refined and with a tune will be similar to 328i performance level.

The added bonus is that the 320i is a CBU.
The 320i here uses the newer B48 engine. The N20 is now phased out.

Also they have imported a batch of CKD kits.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 17:04   #18
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Delhi
Posts: 31
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Thoroughly enjoyed the review Karan. Must say that the attention to the minute details such as the suspension, staggered set up, DPF, etc. were spot on and added super value to the review.

Between, is it just me or the bumpers have been revised too? I saw some differences in the styling of the bumpers. More so at the rear.
MacBa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 19:02   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 296
Thanked: 225 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Excellent Review there Karan! There are no such reviews available anywhere by any Indian auto journo and the honesty of such reviews really help!

Agree with the SWOT Analysis especially on the 520d which is within striking distance of that M Sport. Amit being an enthusiast never veered in that direction

Coming to the car I'd gone with Amit for a TD of the 320d and somehow once you have seen the M Sport the lower variants just won't cut it. Have traveled Pune-Mumbai in Amit's ride and it's safe to say it's money well spent despite the 10 lakh price difference between the base variant and the top one.
miharbe is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 20:04   #20
BHPian
 
kopakabana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Glasgow, UK
Posts: 65
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
One thing i have noticed with these germans is that you need to stretch their legs and drive them as they are built to be driven, those who baby around face more issues, find an empty stretch of road, hit the sports mode.
Couldn't agree more. In fact i drive my f30 in sport mode most of the time including my daily office trips. The throttle response and the steering feel is much better compared to the comfort mode. I have never driven it in Eco-pro so can't comment. :P

Karan, thats a smashing review and comparison between the 2 sisters. And as a fellow F30 owner, totally agree with you on the rear end situation.

Last edited by kopakabana : 11th July 2016 at 20:09. Reason: Incorrect information
kopakabana is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 21:31   #21
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,503
Thanked: 7,827 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBa View Post
Thoroughly enjoyed the review Karan. Must say that the attention to the minute details such as the suspension, staggered set up, DPF, etc. were spot on and added super value to the review.
Thanks MacBa for your appreciation

Quote:
Between, is it just me or the bumpers have been revised too? I saw some differences in the styling of the bumpers. More so at the rear.
The exterior styling remains same. Some changes to the central & side air intakes. Also the car in the review is in the M-Sport trim hence having an aggressive kit over the sportline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miharbe View Post
Excellent Review there Karan! There are no such reviews available anywhere by any Indian auto journo and the honesty of such reviews really help!

Agree with the SWOT Analysis especially on the 520d which is within striking distance of that M Sport. Amit being an enthusiast never veered in that direction

Coming to the car I'd gone with Amit for a TD of the 320d and somehow once you have seen the M Sport the lower variants just won't cut it. Have traveled Pune-Mumbai in Amit's ride and it's safe to say it's money well spent despite the 10 lakh price difference between the base variant and the top one.
Thank You miharbe, good to know that you liked the video & more so glad to hear that you are a friend of Amits

The M-Sport trim is definitely the one to pick even though it is the most expensive but the kit it offers with the 18" staggered rims & features like larger iDrive, HUD etc really make it worth the pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopakabana View Post
Karan, thats a smashing review and comparison between the 2 sisters. And as a fellow F30 owner, totally agree with you on the rear end situation.
Thank you so much !

Last edited by karan561 : 11th July 2016 at 21:32.
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2016, 23:16   #22
BHPian
 
bivin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MAA/DXB/CDG
Posts: 932
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further. We request you to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 29th July 2016 at 17:58.
bivin is offline   Reply With Quote Received Infraction
Old 12th July 2016, 09:07   #23
BHPian
 
nvluv's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 55
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Hi Karan, you nailed it bang on. am in the market for a sedan and was contemplating between 320 D and c220.

while discussing with the SA realized there are a few 2015 320D they have and was discussing the financials on the same (discount ).

The SA mentioned that there were a few cosmetic changes only and nothing much between the 2. did my research and realized a few more, but the differences you have pointed out I do not think any one has mentioned anywhere.

Thanks and please keep up the excellent work.
nvluv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 11:36   #24
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,503
Thanked: 7,827 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvluv View Post
Hi Karan, you nailed it bang on. am in the market for a sedan and was contemplating between 320 D and c220.

while discussing with the SA realized there are a few 2015 320D they have and was discussing the financials on the same (discount ).

The SA mentioned that there were a few cosmetic changes only and nothing much between the 2. did my research and realized a few more, but the differences you have pointed out I do not think any one has mentioned anywhere.

Thanks and please keep up the excellent work.
Thanks, hope my video will now help your buy decision.

All the best & keep us updated
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2016, 23:11   #25
BHPian
 
kiranjoshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Thanks, hope my video will now help your buy decision.

All the best & keep us updated

Fantastic Review Karan! I've just booked the 320D prestige variant in Bangalore. What do you feel are the differences in music system between pre LCI and facelifted model now. They are claiming that there is more watts output and sound quality is better? Plus sales guys says there are two sub woofers below the front seats...

Also, would like your advice regarding the running in of the car during its initial days? For how many km do i maintain a limit on the RPM and when do i do the first oil change? Is it better to get oil and fuel filter changed after 1000km since its a new car and there will be small metal particles in the oil?
kiranjoshy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 04:57   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,713
Thanked: 1,423 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranjoshy View Post
What do you feel are the differences in music system between pre LCI and facelifted model now. They are claiming that there is more watts output and sound quality is better? Plus sales guys says there are two sub woofers below the front seats...
Oh yes, there is a difference and a big difference between pre LCI prestige and the LCI prestige in how the audio sounds. I had taken my 2015 320D for service and got a chance to sit in the 320i prestige (cbu built), the bass response is way better than my car. My car also has 2 6.5" underseat subs but seems BMW have changed to a better head unit in the LCI models. The system was much better sounding than mine at a much lower volume level, points to a much better inbuilt head unit amp, it is nothing special but better than pre LCI models. The spec sheet mentions same 100W output for LCI prestige variants like before but the output was way better.

The luxury/sports line come with additional tweeters up front, 8 inch subs under front seats, a center speaker and an amplifier in the boot, that system is the real deal. Am getting the alpine hifi retrofit kit for my car soon and would update on how good the improvement is over base set up, without tweeters and an amplifier, the system sounds muddy at high volumes.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 15:48   #27
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,503
Thanked: 7,827 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranjoshy View Post
Fantastic Review Karan! I've just booked the 320D prestige variant in Bangalore. What do you feel are the differences in music system between pre LCI and facelifted model now. They are claiming that there is more watts output and sound quality is better? Plus sales guys says there are two sub woofers below the front seats...
I think coolboy has give already answered to your query below, Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Oh yes, there is a difference and a big difference between pre LCI prestige and the LCI prestige in how the audio sounds. I had taken my 2015 320D for service and got a chance to sit in the 320i prestige (cbu built), the bass response is way better than my car. My car also has 2 6.5" underseat subs but seems BMW have changed to a better head unit in the LCI models. The system was much better sounding than mine at a much lower volume level, points to a much better inbuilt head unit amp, it is nothing special but better than pre LCI models. The spec sheet mentions same 100W output for LCI prestige variants like before but the output was way better.

The luxury/sports line come with additional tweeters up front, 8 inch subs under front seats, a center speaker and an amplifier in the boot, that system is the real deal. Am getting the alpine hifi retrofit kit for my car soon and would update on how good the improvement is over base set up, without tweeters and an amplifier, the system sounds muddy at high volumes.
Quote:
Also, would like your advice regarding the running in of the car during its initial days? For how many km do i maintain a limit on the RPM and when do i do the first oil change? Is it better to get oil and fuel filter changed after 1000km since its a new car and there will be small metal particles in the oil?
Running in is for 2500 kms for the engine.

Tyres, brakes require only 500 km running in.

Engine oil change @ 1000 km is too early, the iDrive will calculate it automatically based on your driving style. On an average it lasts for 10-12k kms easily before going in for a change.

All the best & do share the pictures once you take delivery

Last edited by GTO : 29th July 2016 at 17:58. Reason: Quoted post deleted
karan561 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016, 09:17   #28
BHPian
 
asit.kulkarni93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune/ Bahrain
Posts: 486
Thanked: 429 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Brilliant Review Karan.

Good to know that the new B47 engine has reduced NVH levels. Talking about threats to the 320d, more than the 520d I guess it's the X1 20d and 320d GT which are the real threats to the 320d. The GLC is here too. I guess the entry-level luxury segment is going to have bad sales just like the D1 segment thanks to the crossovers & compact SUV's coming in. All said and done the 320d remains the best package in its segment. The C-class and A4 don't even come close.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016, 13:23   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,503
Thanked: 7,827 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Brilliant Review Karan.
Thank You asit

Quote:
Talking about threats to the 320d, more than the 520d I guess it's the X1 20d and 320d GT which are the real threats to the 320d. The GLC is here too. I guess the entry-level luxury segment is going to have bad sales just like the D1 segment thanks to the crossovers & compact SUV's coming in.
^ Good points
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016, 21:20   #30
BHPian
 
haldar_siliguri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Siliguri, Pune
Posts: 96
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Loving your reviews Karan, I wanted to ask wether you have any idea as to what is the next plan of action by BMW India with regard to reintroducing the higher end petrol on the F30. There was a rumor that they would bring back the 330i (with the 328i name been discontinued abroad as well as in India).

I am especially waiting for BMW to give us an answer, because we are planning to replace our extremely thirsty E90 330i, but cannot settle with the 320d (and certainly not the 320i).

And wishing you all d best for forthcoming reviews in the future!
haldar_siliguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Video Review: ///M Performance Exhaust (F30 BMW 328i) karan561 Modifications & Accessories 25 29th April 2016 16:36
Spy Shots: 2015 BMW 3 Series (F30 LCI) karan561 The International Automotive Scene 22 7th May 2015 21:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:10.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks