Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2016, 22:52   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: bangalore
Posts: 67
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Fantastic Review Karan!Crisp and has all the info a buyer is looking for in the face lifted version
nikhil_pon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 19:23   #32
BHPian
 
kiranjoshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Thank you bivin for your appreciation !



I think coolboy has give already answered to your query below, Thanks





Running in is for 2500 kms for the engine.

Tyres, brakes require only 500 km running in.

Engine oil change @ 1000 km is too early, the iDrive will calculate it automatically based on your driving style. On an average it lasts for 10-12k kms easily before going in for a change.

All the best & do share the pictures once you take delivery

Thanks for the prompt replies Karan and Coolboy! will share the pics.
I'm getting a good offer to upgrade my alloys to 18 inch M-sport. Since I'm buying the Prestige 320D will it have any negative effects on the ground clearance, comfort, & overall suspension of the car? Kindly advise whether I should upgrade to 17 inch or 18 inch (5 spoke) design.
kiranjoshy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 22:39   #33
BHPian
 
kiranjoshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Oh yes, there is a difference and a big difference between pre LCI prestige and the LCI prestige in how the audio sounds. I had taken my 2015 320D for service and got a chance to sit in the 320i prestige (cbu built), the bass response is way better than my car. My car also has 2 6.5" underseat subs but seems BMW have changed to a better head unit in the LCI models. The system was much better sounding than mine at a much lower volume level, points to a much better inbuilt head unit amp, it is nothing special but better than pre LCI models. The spec sheet mentions same 100W output for LCI prestige variants like before but the output was way better.

The luxury/sports line come with additional tweeters up front, 8 inch subs under front seats, a center speaker and an amplifier in the boot, that system is the real deal. Am getting the alpine hifi retrofit kit for my car soon and would update on how good the improvement is over base set up, without tweeters and an amplifier, the system sounds muddy at high volumes.
Thanks for the details. Do you feel it is advisable to tamper with the audio system of such a premium car? What's your opinion on first adding a Amplifier to increase the sound quality and later add tweeters, etc. in a gradual way?

Are there any authorised BMW audio specialists in Bangalore?
kiranjoshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2016, 23:12   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,717
Thanked: 1,439 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranjoshy View Post
Kindly advise whether I should upgrade to 17 inch or 18 inch (5 spoke) design.
If you really have to upgrade, i would suggest you to stick with the 17 inchers at max. While the 18 inch rims would look cool and aesthetically beautiful, you would need to take care of them a lot on broken tarmac and potholed roads. They would be much more susceptible to damage with low profile runflat tyres, in addition to above your ride would be pretty hard.

Unless the roads you intend to drive on are butter smooth, stick to 17 inch please. My prestige came with 16's and i really love the ride quality, even on runflats. I intend to switch to 17 inchers at 20-25k kms mark when i would change the tyres to tubeless ones. How does the warranty on suspension work out if we go for OEM Bmw alloys, did you enquire about it from your dealer?
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 08:32   #35
BHPian
 
asit.kulkarni93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune/ Bahrain
Posts: 553
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
My prestige came with 16's and i really love the ride quality, even on runflats. I intend to switch to 17 inchers at 20-25k kms mark when i would change the tyres to tubeless ones.

I would suggest you stick to the 16-inchers as they would be prefect for our driving conditions. You can upsize the tyres when you replace them with tubeless tyres. Can you post a pic of your car's side profile? Can't recollect how the 16-inchers look on the 320d.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 11:08   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,711
Thanked: 8,905 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldar_siliguri View Post
Loving your reviews Karan, I wanted to ask wether you have any idea as to what is the next plan of action by BMW India with regard to reintroducing the higher end petrol on the F30. There was a rumor that they would bring back the 330i (with the 328i name been discontinued abroad as well as in India).

I am especially waiting for BMW to give us an answer, because we are planning to replace our extremely thirsty E90 330i, but cannot settle with the 320d (and certainly not the 320i).

And wishing you all d best for forthcoming reviews in the future!
Thanks !

I genuinely dont have any idea if BMW has any plans for the 330i for India.

If nothing then there always are the ///M Models you can buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
Fantastic Review Karan!Crisp and has all the info a buyer is looking for in the face lifted version
Thank You Nikhil !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranjoshy View Post
Thanks for the prompt replies Karan and Coolboy! will share the pics.
I'm getting a good offer to upgrade my alloys to 18 inch M-sport. Since I'm buying the Prestige 320D will it have any negative effects on the ground clearance, comfort, & overall suspension of the car? Kindly advise whether I should upgrade to 17 inch or 18 inch (5 spoke) design.
Those 18"ers of the M-Sport surely look delicious. I personally would pick them if i am getting at a good price. There will be no harm to the Ground clearance as such, also suspension life might come down by 5-10 % that too if you dont drive carefully otherwise you can neglect this point.

BUT it is really tricky to drive 40 profile tyres & does take time getting used to, if not taken care on the odd pothole or a bad incline of the flyover or a sharp bump it will generate an side wall crack or bubble. Specially in Run Flats. On the other hand it is easy to switch to tubeless (get the tyres out of the deal if you can & buy tubeless separately).

So by going in for 18"ers you'l definitely get the look the car deserves & the worse which can happen is you'l waste a tyre or two if you end up getting a side wall bulge or a cut. But by then you'l know how to carve your way through bad roads, pot holes etc. Thats how i learned

Last edited by karan561 : 16th July 2016 at 11:10.
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 15:49   #37
BHPian
 
kopakabana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Glasgow, UK
Posts: 65
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranjoshy View Post
Kindly advise whether I should upgrade to 17 inch or 18 inch (5 spoke) design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Those 18"ers of the M-Sport surely look delicious. I personally would pick them if i am getting at a good price.

BUT it is really tricky to drive 40 profile tyres & does take time getting used to, if not taken care on the odd pothole or a bad incline of the flyover or a sharp bump it will generate an side wall crack or bubble. Specially in Run Flats. On the other hand it is easy to switch to tubeless (get the tyres out of the deal if you can & buy tubeless separately).

S
kiranjoshy, i have the 18" 5 spoke wheels with run flats and they look absolutely mouth watering. Although i agree that the ride will be a bit harsh as everybody has already pointed out but not really a lot. I have been to some rural/ country roads recently and i am actually fine with the ride. And the more i look at those wheels, the less i care about the ride & comfort
A couple of pictures here which might change your mind

Karan, a small correction to your post. The 18" will have 45 profile, not 40. Mine are Goodyear 225/45.
Attached Thumbnails
Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!-tbhp-1.jpg  

Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!-tbhp2.jpg  

kopakabana is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 15:53   #38
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,711
Thanked: 8,905 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopakabana View Post
Karan, a small correction to your post. The 18" will have 45 profile, not 40. Mine are Goodyear 225/45.
The rims what you are having are style 397 (same ones which im having) its having 45 profile no doubt (OE 225/45 squared setup)

But the one kiranjoshy is talking about is M-Sport (staggered) having 225/45 upfront & the rear is 255/40. Hence i said 40 profile

Last edited by karan561 : 16th July 2016 at 15:56.
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2016, 16:07   #39
BHPian
 
kopakabana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Glasgow, UK
Posts: 65
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
But the one kiranjoshy is talking about is M-Sport (staggered) having 225/45 upfront & the rear is 255/40. Hence i said 40 profile
Didn't know they have different profile for front and rear for M Sport. Thanks for letting me know Karan
kopakabana is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 19:51   #40
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,711
Thanked: 8,905 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
And shots of the boot space with the space savers would have been nice.

There you go;

Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1468765237.192245.jpg

karan561 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 10:47   #41
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 193
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

That was a crisp, no nonsense, highly informative review Karan. Absolutely loved it. Only wish more reviews were like this. Didn't feel the need to skip any part of it like I usually do with most reviews. Great job.
sunny310c is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016, 21:12   #42
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,711
Thanked: 8,905 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
That was a crisp, no nonsense, highly informative review Karan. Absolutely loved it. Only wish more reviews were like this. Didn't feel the need to skip any part of it like I usually do with most reviews. Great job.
Thank You Sunny

Well owing an F30 for 3+ years really helped me consolidate the LCI content, but still a lot of work has gone into it to make it a success & it is comments such as yours which make it truly worth it, Thanks Again
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 19:05   #43
BHPian
 
kiranjoshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
If you really have to upgrade, i would suggest you to stick with the 17 inchers at max.
======
How does the warranty on suspension work out if we go for OEM Bmw alloys, did you enquire about it from your dealer?

The warranty is valid as long as we buy the alloys from the company. According to them, they are quite confident about 17 and 18 inch both will suit the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
I would suggest you stick to the 16-inchers as they would be prefect for our driving conditions. You can upsize the tyres when you replace them with tubeless tyres. Can you post a pic of your car's side profile? Can't recollect how the 16-inchers look on the 320d.
This is the side profile for your reference of the stock 16 inch alloys which come with the prestige variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
The rims what you are having are style 397 (same ones which im having) its having 45 profile no doubt (OE 225/45 squared setup)

But the one kiranjoshy is talking about is M-Sport (staggered) having 225/45 upfront & the rear is 255/40. Hence i said 40 profile

Guys, just to clarify. The company was offering me 225/45 for both front and back. Not the staggered setup. Are there any features that I can ask the service people or showroom people to activate on the idrive etc which dont come stock from the showroom?
Also, which type of sunfilm would match this car color (imperial Blue)? I'm planning to go for 15 or 30% darkness sunfilm.....should i go with mirrored finish or regular black color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopakabana View Post
kiranjoshy, i have the 18" 5 spoke wheels with run flats and they look absolutely mouth watering. Although i agree that the ride will be a bit harsh as everybody has already pointed out but not really a lot. I have been to some rural/ country roads recently and i am actually fine with the ride. And the more i look at those wheels, the less i care about the ride & comfort
A couple of pictures here which might change your mind

Karan, a small correction to your post. The 18" will have 45 profile, not 40. Mine are Goodyear 225/45.

Kopakabana, thanks for the lovely snaps of your beemer! The 18 inchers definitely look mouth watering! But let me clarify, where do you use this car? Is it in the UK?
This car is going to be mainly a family car for long trips etc so comfort should be max and risk of alloys breaking/sidewall bumps, etc. should be minimum.
Attached Thumbnails
Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!-img_5366.jpg  


Last edited by Zappo : 22nd July 2016 at 19:18. Reason: Second warning: Stop making these back to back posts in close succession. Respond to everyone at one go. Use Multiquote button.
kiranjoshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2016, 11:59   #44
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,711
Thanked: 8,905 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranjoshy View Post
Guys, just to clarify. The company was offering me 225/45 for both front and back. Not the staggered setup.
Kiran,

The M Sport rims are 8 inch wide at the front and to accommodate the rear wide tyres the rear wheels are 8.5 inch wide. So before going ahead please clarify with them weather putting skinny tyres on the rear wheels is ok ?

Quote:
This car is going to be mainly a family car for long trips etc so comfort should be max and risk of alloys breaking/sidewall bumps, etc. should be minimum.
In that case i'd suggest to avoid the upsize.
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2016, 16:09   #45
BHPian
 
kiranjoshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!

So finally after much negotiations of almost 3 months and careful planning, I took delivery of my brand new BMW 320D Prestige variant!
My whole experience with Navnit Bangalore was quite tumultous and somewhat like a roller coaster.
I booked the car on June 30 due to pressure from my sales executive since i was getting a discounted price. Now the full payment had to be made and loan sanctioned by june 30th. I requested them to give me a the latest production car in terms of manufacture date. Finally, after one week my sales executive gave me the VIN number of my car. To my shock, when i checked it online through the VIN decoders, the car was coming as a Nov 2015 manufactured model.
Now, I had booked the facelifted BMW 320D which was released in Feb this year so how could this be? Finally, I sent all the evidence to the manager at Navnit. They took 2 weeks to reply to my emails and constant phone calls. In the end, it was a February manufactured car but there was lot of confusion since the VIN decoders online sometimes dont match with the actual details. The manager provided me with a ARAI document that is used to decode the VIN number. According to that, it was a match. Then, I cross checked other VIN numbers of the cars displayed in the showroom and it seemed to match. I think, since the parts of the cars are manufactured in Germany and assembled in Chennai there is a long delay between arrival of parts and production of cars. I had a few doubts:

1. Is the manufacture date printed on the car glass like other company cars?
2. Can a brand like BMW cheat customers with regard to manufacture date, etc.

I have attached the document provided by BMW for VIN decoding and pics of my brand new Bavarian beauty!
Attached Thumbnails
Video: 2016 BMW 3-Series (F30 LCI) Review & SWOT Analysis!-img_5907.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Model checksheet.pdf (418.6 KB, 87 views)
kiranjoshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Video Review: ///M Performance Exhaust (F30 BMW 328i) karan561 Modifications & Accessories 25 29th April 2016 16:36
Spy Shots: 2015 BMW 3 Series (F30 LCI) karan561 The International Automotive Scene 22 7th May 2015 21:34


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks