Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st November 2016, 01:59   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Congrats.

The Laura TSI is definitely one of my favourite cars that landed on our roads. Classic looks, fabulous engine and the build quality makes this a proper enthusiast car, not to forget the superb mod potential. Also, loved the ownership review. Please do keep updating the thread as time commences and she munches more miles.

Having a weekend car is always special.
Thank You! I will try to update it the best I can. As of right now, I am in the States away from the Laura and miss it a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Also, I remember reading your Ford Fusion review sometime back. Is she still with you?
but Yes, I've had a ton of adventures with it and it would take a long time to put it into words, but I'll try. Hint : I went to "The Dragon" road in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee (one of the best driving roads in the world) with it, accompanying me were cars like Charger Hellcat, Challenger Hellcat, Roush Supercharged Mustang 5.0, Dinan M5, C5 Corvette Z06 and quite a few others. Best time of my life! I made a little clip of my drive which you can check out below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anuragbagur View Post
Congrats Sir! The Laura 1.8 TSI is a true sleeper car in every sense. This car currently is the most mod friendly car in India - both performance and cosmetic combined! There are innumerable cosmetic updates you can buy in superskoda.com and milotec.de

I have modded my Laura 1.8 TSI to Pete's Stage II and will be posting a detailed thread very soon. Enjoy the car for years to come!
Thank you! I will try my best to buy more performance upgrades than cosmetic for this one. Function>Form, you know. But yeah, I do have some subtle cosmetic upgrades planned for the car. Mostly, the VRS bodykit, nicer wheels and maybe some canards.

Looking forward to your review for Pete's Stage II, I was personally hoping to go with Tune-O-Tronics because I've heard good things about them. They might be able to create a map more specific to my requirements compared to Pete's who use a standard map from what I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niteshsharmab View Post
Congratulations on a great purchase, gem of a car indeed. Even I am getting a good condition 38,000Km run TSI for 4Lacs. Very tempted to buy it but the thought of as high Rs 1Lac annual maintenance for Skoda is keeping me away. What do you think will be an average annual maintenance for this vehicle for next 4 to 5 years. Enjoy your new ride. Cheers.
I would definitely jump on that if I was you withstanding that you comb through the car carefully, getting a VCDS scan as well as an opinion from a Skoda Service Advisor. If you aren't planning to take the car to the track often, I doubt the maintenance will be that high. When you take the car to the track, you put above normal levels of stress on the components, which increases your maintenance costs. I plan on upgrading the components to a higher quality every time it comes the time to replace them, so my costs would be quite different to a normal replacement.

Car under normal road use (10k-20k kms/year) maintenance should be around Rs 40k
jalajprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 01:38   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
I was personally hoping to go with Tune-O-Tronics because I've heard good things about them. They might be able to create a map more specific to my requirements compared to Pete's who use a standard map from what I know.
I am a very happy and satisfied customer of Tune-O-Tronics. My 3 cars are remapped from them in a span of 2 months . During my last visit to Bangalore, I met a guy who was running his Laura 1.8 TSI with stage 1 plus remap from TOT. Car was pulling very aggressively.

Petes remap is from Custom Code, UK.Those are standard maps and I doubt they would offer customisation. TOT would listen to your needs, tailor the map for you and give you lifetime support.

Cheers!!

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 24th November 2016 at 01:40.
Dr.Naren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 03:21   #18
BHPian

Dr Naren, Any idea of the bhp / torque output from the Laura 1.8 TSI with stage 1 plus remap from TOT?
nikhil_pon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 09:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_pon View Post
Dr Naren, Any idea of the bhp / torque output from the Laura 1.8 TSI with stage 1 plus remap from TOT?
I think Stage 1 remap is 200 bhp and stage 1 plus is around 215 bhp. I do not know about torque figures. The guy running with stage 1 plus has won couple of drag events with lesser than 15 seconds quarter mile timing.
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 04:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
I am a very happy and satisfied customer of Tune-O-Tronics. My 3 cars are remapped from them in a span of 2 months . During my last visit to Bangalore, I met a guy who was running his Laura 1.8 TSI with stage 1 plus remap from TOT. Car was pulling very aggressively.

Petes remap is from Custom Code, UK.Those are standard maps and I doubt they would offer customisation. TOT would listen to your needs, tailor the map for you and give you lifetime support.

Cheers!!
Yeah, I just got in touch with them and will see how it pans out. I heard through the channels that current times are not too good for VW enthusiasts in India. A couple VW people have blown their turbos and someone even blew up their engine because of the remap they were running. So I will have to tread carefully there.

In other news, my whole list of potential modifications just went down the gutter because I found out that the Skoda Laura shares parts with the mk6 Golf GTI and not the mk6 Jetta 1.8T and I've been shortlisting the wrong parts this whole time.

Also, while trying to navigate through all this I've found that there are very few knowledgeable people in India who will help you without any self-interest. In trying to make sure the parts I buy will fit my car, I approached a couple different tuners and people and most of them wanted me to purchase stuff through them even though it would be more than 60% cheaper for me to buy my own stuff and bring it to India with me since I'm in the US right now. If a tuner helps me out with identification of the correct parts, I will very likely go to them for installation of these parts but most of them would rather not have a new customer than lose out on money they can make when they import a part for you. Luckily we still have a few angels who will help you just because you are a fellow enthusiast.
jalajprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2016, 15:57   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
Yeah, I just got in touch with them and will see how it pans out. I heard through the channels that current times are not too good for VW enthusiasts in India. A couple VW people have blown their turbos and someone even blew up their engine because of the remap they were running. So I will have to tread carefully there.
Could you please share more details on this. Which models were these, what tunes were these cars running and who was the tuner? Also, the source of information.

I was considering a remap for my Polo after the first service. But this piece of info is serious.
torque18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2016, 03:47   #22

Congratulations!
This car looks best in black in my opinion. And at 14k kms, you got a very new car.

I had a few questions for you. How is the car's steering feedback? I've heard it's not so good? The laura TSI never came with wood trim interiors. How did you get those?
ss212 is offline   Reply With Quote