Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th December 2016, 19:12   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Brilliant choice of mods, waiting to see how your car turns out to be! The rims are stunning. How does the diverter valve sound?

You should also consider the vRS or one of the newer steering wheels. The stock steering wheel is too huge.
Thanks! The diverter valve doesn't create any extra noises because it's not meant to, but it still brings you most of the benefits of a mechanical unit (the ones that do create whooshing sounds). Not sure if I mentioned it before but when I'm not in India, the car is driven by my dad too and I don't think he'd appreciate all the whooshing sounds .

I do have a slew of visual and comfort mods planned for the car but they'll follow after I'm done with the performance stuff. A flat-bottom VRS wheel (redone with some Alcantara) off the new Octavia, interior completely blacked out, a short shift kit with a nicer shift knob, and the VRS bumper and spoiler are all that I can think of, off the top of my head. Since you've been a VRS owner yourself, do suggest other things that could be changed!
jalajprakash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 19:22   #32
BHPian

I actually forgot to add this to the main update post earlier, here's a couple other parts that are stuck in limbo for now
  • Rear Sway Bar End Links

These are links that help attach a rear sway bar to the car. In stock form, there is no rear sway bar. I brought these along with me but these don't serve any purpose on the car without a rear sway bar.

Name:  661890_x600.jpg
Views: 2533
Size:  36.4 KB

• Hotchkis Rear Sway Bar 27mm

A rear sway bar links together both rear wheels and reduces wheel articulation which stiffens up the rear end and allows for great composure on the track. This rear sway bar is also adjustable so I can reduce the stiffness on the road, and turn it up for the track. I had also ordered this as a direct shipment from ECSTuning but they didn't ship on the date they said they would and with holiday time around, it probably wouldn't have been shipped in time either, so I cancelled the order and will just carry it with me when I come back in May.

Name:  724004_x600.jpg
Views: 2533
Size:  12.2 KB

jalajprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2017, 00:50   #33
BHPian

In my search for a used car in Hyderabad, I have come across a 2011 Laura 1.8 TSI Classic run only 25k being sold be a company colleague.

Would this be a wise choice taking into account reliability and service costs? My running would be not more than 200-300 km per month.

What would be a reasonable price for this?
Foxbat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 11:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post

Would this be a wise choice taking into account reliability and service costs? My running would be not more than 200-300 km per month.
I own one since 2010, she has been super reliable, no part has failed yet, I have visited service centers only for routine service and accident dent/paint stuff.

However, changed the spark plugs in the last service (around 42000km), the price was 2000 for each. That was ridiculous, the ones in Etios, Honda City, etc. are <200 per piece :-). Incidentally, changed the spark plugs on my Polo TSi during 30000km service and they were also expensive ~800/piece.

Another interesting aspect is - wiper blades for Laura are @2200 for pair, but they are very good quality, I have had to change only once in the 7 years so far. The rubber is still soft, so they last really long.

And needless to say - it's a terrific engine. Gem of car really.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 15th March 2017 at 11:59.
anandpadhye is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 15:25   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
I own one since 2010, she has been super reliable, no part has failed yet, I have visited service centers only for routine service and accident dent/paint stuff.

However, changed the spark plugs in the last service (around 42000km), the price was 2000 for each. That was ridiculous, the ones in Etios, Honda City, etc. are <200 per piece :-). Incidentally, changed the spark plugs on my Polo TSi during 30000km service and they were also expensive ~800/piece.

Another interesting aspect is - wiper blades for Laura are @2200 for pair, but they are very good quality, I have had to change only once in the 7 years so far. The rubber is still soft, so they last really long.

And needless to say - it's a terrific engine. Gem of car really.
Any idea what would be a fair price for this one ?
Foxbat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2017, 13:08   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea what would be a fair price for this one ?
Somewhere around 5L sounds about right for the car you're talking about but I would recommend taking it to the dealership and having it looked over, which would be my advice for any car you buy irrespective of brands. Personally, I have also had a very good experience with the Laura. All the Skoda issues I've seen have been with automatic 7-speed DQ200 gearbox and other service issues. As long as you have a good relationship with the local dealership or a FNG you trust, there is no car that offers a more VFM proposition. The low monthly running makes it perfect for you. Best of luck and let me know how it goes! Join the #TSiGang

Side note : If you don't quote one of my posts, I don't get any notification that someone has commented on my thread. So, if you're trying to summon me next time, just quote my post.
Old 30th March 2017, 16:58   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
Somewhere around 5L sounds about right for the car you're talking about but I would recommend taking it to the dealership and having it looked over, which would be my advice for any car you buy irrespective of brands. Personally, I have also had a very good experience with the Laura. All the Skoda issues I've seen have been with automatic 7-speed DQ200 gearbox and other service issues. As long as you have a good relationship with the local dealership or a FNG you trust, there is no car that offers a more VFM proposition. The low monthly running makes it perfect for you. Best of luck and let me know how it goes! Join the #TSiGang

Side note : If you don't quote one of my posts, I don't get any notification that someone has commented on my thread. So, if you're trying to summon me next time, just quote my post.
Thanks for the info. Owner is asking for 6.8L so looking for other options.
Old 30th March 2017, 17:14   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Owner is asking for 6.8L so looking for other options.
If that is the owner's first quote then ignore that. Go look at the car and see what the condition is like. For example, when I looked at the Skoda Laura that I ultimately bought, I found out that 3 of the tires were damaged with punctures (but repaired), there was a little dent on the roof because something probably fell on it and some scratches on the side too. Now I knew that I'd replacing the tires anyhow and dents and scratches are no big deal and can be taken care of, but I was able to use them as a bargaining chip and reduce the price. You looking at the car in person makes you a serious buyer and the seller will often not give away the lowest price they are willing to take over the phone.

Just as a reference for you, the car I bought was a 2012 Laura Ambiente 1.8 TSi with 14,000 kms on it. Most of the miles were accrued when it was driven between Gurgaon and Mumbai (I was able to check service history which had mention of each) which seems like a very clean car and I paid 5.9L for it.

It's been a year since I bought mine, the car you're talking about is a 2011, has more miles on it, is not a Ambiente but a Classic which is a lower trim level. So adjust the price accordingly if you will. Also, for any other cars you're looking at, completely ignore the the price people ask for on the Internet because this is India and people will mention a Price which includes Actual Value + extra money so they feel happy about the deal + bargaining margin and one can often bring it down Actual Value + extra money so they don't feel terrible by bargaining in person. Sort cars by the condition, service history and odometer reading.
Old 30th March 2017, 22:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
If that is the owner's first quote then ignore that. Go look at the car and see what the condition is like. For example, when I looked at the Skoda Laura that I ultimately bought, I found out that 3 of the tires were damaged with punctures (but repaired), there was a little dent on the roof because something probably fell on it and some scratches on the side too. Now I knew that I'd replacing the tires anyhow and dents and scratches are no big deal and can be taken care of, but I was able to use them as a bargaining chip and reduce the price. You looking at the car in person makes you a serious buyer and the seller will often not give away the lowest price they are willing to take over the phone.

Just as a reference for you, the car I bought was a 2012 Laura Ambiente 1.8 TSi with 14,000 kms on it. Most of the miles were accrued when it was driven between Gurgaon and Mumbai (I was able to check service history which had mention of each) which seems like a very clean car and I paid 5.9L for it.

It's been a year since I bought mine, the car you're talking about is a 2011, has more miles on it, is not a Ambiente but a Classic which is a lower trim level. So adjust the price accordingly if you will. Also, for any other cars you're looking at, completely ignore the the price people ask for on the Internet because this is India and people will mention a Price which includes Actual Value + extra money so they feel happy about the deal + bargaining margin and one can often bring it down Actual Value + extra money so they don't feel terrible by bargaining in person. Sort cars by the condition, service history and odometer reading.
Thanks for advice. I already saw the car as its offered by a person at my office. It has many scratches and a few dents on it, not really in great condition externally. Owner is only open to offers above 6L and only then will give a test drive

Used Car prices in Hyderabad are similar to Bangalore and are obscenely high.
If only they had one road tax for the country I could pickup a much better car from Mumbai or Delhi.
Old 30th March 2017, 23:43   #40
BHPian

Quote:
It has many scratches and a few dents on it, not really in great condition externally. Owner is only open to offers above 6L and only then will give a test drive

Used Car prices in Hyderabad are similar to Bangalore and are obscenely high.
I could give you advice on how to bring the price down but it doesn't seem like you particularly like the car.

I guess I didn't factor in the price difference for the car being in Hyderabad or Bangalore. Maybe someone from the area can pitch in and give you better advice. At the end of the day, it comes down to if the car is worth the price to you. I could've haggled harder on my price, but the car was worth 5.9L to me and so I didn't feel bad paying that amount. If you feel a well maintained Laura is worth the price to you, you can always haggle a little to make sure you remove the bargaining margin but after that initial round, if the price seems reasonable to you according to your budget, why not go for it?
jalajprakash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2017, 13:44   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I could give you advice on how to bring the price down but it doesn't seem like you particularly like the car.

I guess I didn't factor in the price difference for the car being in Hyderabad or Bangalore. Maybe someone from the area can pitch in and give you better advice. At the end of the day, it comes down to if the car is worth the price to you. I could've haggled harder on my price, but the car was worth 5.9L to me and so I didn't feel bad paying that amount. If you feel a well maintained Laura is worth the price to you, you can always haggle a little to make sure you remove the bargaining margin but after that initial round, if the price seems reasonable to you according to your budget, why not go for it?
Yeah it'a a base version with quite a few dents and scratches so not very keen. Asking price is down to 6 but still doesn't seem worth it.

Will keeping looking some more ....
Old 29th May 2017, 23:24   #42
BHPian

Upgrade and Service Update

Behind my back, the car had begun to display the "Service" message at some point but no driver or family cared enough to look at it and get it serviced. I was later told that it was driven 1,500 kms while the car was asking for service. Now that I'm back from Michigan for good, the car is about to be treated much nicer. I saw the message the first time I started the car and decided to get it serviced ASAP.

Since the car is way past it's warranty period, there is no real incentive in getting it serviced at the dealer. I asked the regular guy who I take the car to for my parts installation for a service but after being quoted really high prices, I started my search anew. Thanks again to RohanDheman for the tip and I called ahead to Raj Motors in Noida and was quoted much more fair prices.

Service

Rohan told me to check on the Skoda website as to what all needed to be included in the 5th year service and the service included oil change, filter change and spark plugs changed.

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile-img_4772.jpg

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile-2.jpg

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile-3.jpg

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile-4.jpg

This is how much the service cost me,

Engine Oil - Motul 8100 X-Cess 5W-40 Synthetic (5L) - Rs 3750 (Procured by me from Motul Authorized Dealer)
Oil Filter - Hengst - Rs 500
Air Filter - Vika - Rs 1000
Labor - Rs 1500

Total - Rs 6750

- Skoda was asking for Rs 10,400 but with Castrol Engine Oil
- Regular guy was asking for Rs 6,800 for Motul Oil, 1500 Labor, 1500 Parts and 450 for Oil Drain = Rs 10,250

Lesson? - Always compare different options.

Upgrades

The upgrades I brought with me this time include,

1. Ignition Service Kit - Kind of an upgrade/service shared part but good quality stuff.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...06e905115ektn/

Name:  Spark Plugs.jpg
Views: 1230
Size:  61.8 KB

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile-6.jpg

2. Hotchkis Adjustable Rear Sway Bar - Makes the rear more composed during hard cornering and reduces body roll. Can already feel that the car can take corners much better and should be really good with the coilovers. Currently installed at the lowest setting aka 90% stiffer than normal.

Installed along with the NeuSpeed Rear End Links mentioned in the previous upgrade post.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-hotchkis...mm/22833r~hot/

Name:  Rear Sway Bar.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  12.2 KB

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile-img_4773.jpg

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile-img_4774.jpg

3. Rear EBC Brake Pads - I was really happy with the front so why not complete the set and make it stop amazing all around? After installation, boy oh boy does the car stop. I am not worried of ever hitting someone in the back. Other people hitting me? much more possible.

Name:  Rear Brake Pads.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  173.0 KB

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile-img_4775.jpg

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile-img_4776.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 30th May 2017 at 08:44. Reason: Correcting image orientation
jalajprakash is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 23:42   #43
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see the TSi can be maintained in a good price, just by being a little aware of the options available.

Really subtle upgrades, but they seem really valuable in improving the feel.

And on that ignoring the service needed message, I can totally relate!! Cars at my home don't get serviced unless I come back from college in holidays, it's almost a ritual now
agambhandari is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2017, 17:44   #44
BHPian

Spotted your car in Jaipur yesterday. I think you were at the wheel. Must say, the rims suit the car very well. Sorry for the poor pictures because I had to crop them a fair bit and add a silly sticker to hide the plates

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile-1.jpg

Skoda Laura 1.8L TSi - My Pre-Worshipped Missile-2.jpg
amansanc is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2017, 22:37   #45
BHPian

Service Items

Since the last service, the battery went fizz but not that surprising since the original battery did 5 years of service. Replaced that with an Amaron 60Ah. The battery fizzing out somehow also affected the small DRL bulb (next to the fog lamp) so had that replaced as well.

During a trip to Jaipur, the car threw a Check Engine Light which made me real nervous, I checked the Engine Oil level hoping it would be just low oil level (as mentioned by fellow BHPians as a common problem in the 1.8 TSi) but oil was close to full. So I took it in to the local Skoda dealership for VAGCOM scan and it turned out to be the charcoal filter was clogged. *Phew* That was a problem I knew about when I bought the car and was again guaranteed that it doesn't actually affect the car at all but it is a secondary measure against petrol fumes building up inside the tank. I had the error cleared there and then got the Charcoal filter cleaned out by the trusty FNG for free. Replacing it is a bigger task scheduled for the future.

Other than these small niggles the car has been an absolute dream.

Track Day

Heard about Buddh International Circuit organizing a Open Track Day on the 30th of August. There were different sessions that one could join divided only by super(car/bike) and rest. But friends who have seen the open track days before told me it was not the best decision to sign up for that since Fortuners and Ecosports also are part of those sessions and it becomes more of a nuisance than any fun. But luckily, NASA was holding it's own personal session with all track day veterans so I decided to sign up for that one.

My previous time was with the car right after I bought it (bone stock) was 2:59. This time with a little more gusto and the aforementioned changes I was able to shave it down to 2:51. I still need to learn more about braking zones, turning speeds and racing lines which would possibly bring down that time further. I recognize that I was letting go of the throttle too early, braking too early and not using the full width of the track at times which I plan to improve upon with more track time.

Video below with a bonus at the end showing what happens when you're too confident with the new found grip in your car and push it a little too hard. (If someone could give me tips on how to recover once a slide like that has started, I would really appreciate it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Spotted your car in Jaipur yesterday. I think you were at the wheel. Must say, the rims suit the car very well. Sorry for the poor pictures because I had to crop them a fair bit and add a silly sticker to hide the plates
Hey! I actually travel back and forth between Jaipur and Delhi a fair bit and if you're in Jaipur we should definitely meet since I am here for a week and a half. I alternate in bringing my Laura and my Innova when I come depending on how adventurous I'm feeling in exposing those low profile tires (and myself) to abuse. Currently the only thing bothering me about the car is the obnoxious wheel gap but the car has already scraped in a few deep potholes so will wait until I can buy another daily driver and then lower the car with coilovers.