Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2016, 10:40   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Rajkot
Posts: 30
Thanked: 26 Times
Default Re: Shifting from the Marutis to my 1st Hyundai - The Grand i10 Automatic

Congrats on the new ride, Neeraj. When I was hunting similar to you, I narrowed down to Grand i10 and Celerio, finally made with Celerio. The reasons were Fuel Efficiency, 5 speed gear box, seating position, OTR price, and other perks and peace of owning Maruti.

If the Grand i10 came with 5 speed torque converter, similar to Brio, I would have considered it. The 4 speed torque converter felt sluggish to me, especially on inclines and overtakes. This is where Celerio AMT gearbox triumphs, with option to drive in manual. Otherwise Grand i10 has better build than Celerio.

Happy Motoring, enjoy the ride.
Sparky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 13:32   #17
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: mumbai
Posts: 100
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Re: Shifting from the Marutis to my 1st Hyundai - The Grand i10 Automatic

Congrats for your new Grand i 10 AT. It's interesting to see couple of people here with same combination of cars a Fiesta and a Grand i 10 AT just like myself. Now after almost 2.5 years with it but I still struggle with Grand i 10's steering. I wish Hyundai can some day produce cars with better steering feel and control which will take them to another level. I feel the i10 scores high in all other departments. But it's not for those who have spoilt themselves with the Fiesta's driving pleasure.
amolathalye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 15:04   #18
BHPian
 
adneeraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 75
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Shifting from the Marutis to my 1st Hyundai - The Grand i10 Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
The 4 speed torque converter felt sluggish to me, especially on inclines and overtakes. This is where Celerio AMT gearbox triumphs, with option to drive in manual. Otherwise Grand i10 has better build than Celerio.
The gearbox isn't sluggish really, it's just that it feels that it spins the motor disproportionately to the displacement in the first ratio. Like I said, it is only the first gear ratio that feels that it is not delivering any power but beyond the second, it pulls nicely.

About the manual mode, even this box has one. This is ala the triptronic selector. So it is P-R-N-D and a flick to the right activates the manual mode. Very much like the AMT Celerio.
adneeraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 15:23   #19
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 3
Thanked: 3 Times
Default Re: Shifting from the Marutis to my 1st Hyundai - The Grand i10 Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
Congrats! What color did you book?
How much did you get it for on road?
I booked stardust grey, I exchanged my Santro and got combined total of 1.8L discount

Can you share few more pictures of Seat covers and Autoform's contact address please, I would like to order same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
Grand i10 has R14s. Do you want to upgrade the size to 15" or a upsize within 14"?
R14s Upsize or upgrade, which one would be a better option? plz guide.
Zeal4Cars@Micky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 18:02   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UP-14/15, KA 03
Posts: 170
Thanked: 260 Times
Default Re: Shifting from the Marutis to my 1st Hyundai - The Grand i10 Automatic

Congratulations Neeraj on the new acquisition. Wish you had a great time with your ride. Just wondering, did you considered Nissan Micra ? I think it would be worth considering keeping in mind the lowered price tag and introduction of new variants with CVT gear box.
Highh5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2017, 19:06   #21
BHPian
 
Unavowed_X9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Indeterminate
Posts: 174
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Re: Shifting from the Marutis to my 1st Hyundai - The Grand i10 Automatic

@adneeraj.
Congrats on the new ride! I have recently added the Hyundai i10 Grand AT to my stable for the same purpose as yours, and totally agree that it is the best choice you could have made.
I have driven it on the highway, and it can do speeds upto 100-120kmph on good surfaces. However, I have noticed that longish rides of 200km and above can be quite tiring due to:
1. lack of centre arm rest,
2. no dead pedal,
3. the ergonomics of the seat head rest is not adjustable,
4. the right elbow cannot be comfortably placed on the door elbow rest (hurts the wrist while holding the wheel),
5. the horn operation (so necessary in indian conditions sometimes) isn't soft enough,
6. steering wrap is too smooth and it is a pain to steer with the base of the palm for people who drive one-handed.

One interesting thing I have noticed is that the suspension is on the softer side, which under the conditions we use, causes a light thud while negotiating speed-breakers, which is annoying. I raised this issue with the service guys, but they found nothing amiss!

Rear space is really good, and I shifted to the rear seat for a while during the drive, and the leg space for my 5'10" frame was fantastic. Would have been even better if under thigh support was available.

Some discomfort noticed while reversing and close turns in parking lot, which needs getting used to due to the bulges in the body!

Overall, very satisfied with its smooth operation.
Happy motoring.

Warm regards
Unavowed_X9
Unavowed_X9 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 15:25   #22
BHPian
 
adneeraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 75
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Shifting from the Marutis to my 1st Hyundai - The Grand i10 Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
Congratulations Neeraj on the new acquisition. Wish you had a great time with your ride. Just wondering, did you considered Nissan Micra ? I think it would be worth considering keeping in mind the lowered price tag and introduction of new variants with CVT gear box.
Thanks Highh5. I did not consider Micra for A - the lack of quality service stations and dealers around my place. I had inquired about the Terrano when shopping for a diesel car 2 years ago and ended up buying a Fiesta due to budget constraints. But those guys never called back - not even for a TD.
and B - that car would not fetch any resale value in years to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
1. lack of centre arm rest,
2. no dead pedal,
3. the ergonomics of the seat head rest is not adjustable,
4. the right elbow cannot be comfortably placed on the door elbow rest (hurts the wrist while holding the wheel),
5. the horn operation (so necessary in indian conditions sometimes) isn't soft enough,
6. steering wrap is too smooth and it is a pain to steer with the base of the palm for people who drive one-handed.

Some discomfort noticed while reversing and close turns in parking lot, which needs getting used to due to the bulges in the body!
I totally agree to all 6 observations. This was one of the main reasons I was tempted to go for the Figo automatic but Hyundai was the only one giving me that kind of valuation for my 8 year old Swift.
@parking, yes, it does take getting used to. I do sometimes feel that a few situations like stopping behind a car at a signal are close-shaves, but then a bike easily passes through between us
adneeraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 20:20   #23
BHPian
 
Unavowed_X9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Indeterminate
Posts: 174
Thanked: 202 Times
Default Re: Shifting from the Marutis to my 1st Hyundai - The Grand i10 Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
@parking, yes, it does take getting used to. I do sometimes feel that a few situations like stopping behind a car at a signal are close-shaves, but then a bike easily passes through between us
Considering the SUV I normally drive, the visibility is annoying! The invisible front and side edges scares the living daylights under any traffic conditions after you are used to driving a vehicle like a Pajero!
Unavowed_X9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 12:43   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default Re: Shifting from the Marutis to my 1st Hyundai - The Grand i10 Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneeraj View Post
The gearbox isn't sluggish really, it's just that it feels that it spins the motor disproportionately to the displacement in the first ratio. Like I said, it is only the first gear ratio that feels that it is not delivering any power but beyond the second, it pulls nicely.

About the manual mode, even this box has one. This is ala the triptronic selector. So it is P-R-N-D and a flick to the right activates the manual mode. Very much like the AMT Celerio.
Congrats Neeraj on the Gi10 AT. Perfect car for the city and highway. Yes, I have taken this car on numerous trips both leisure and business and actually feel that this is a great cruiser. In fact mileage also increases to round about 17kpl on highways. Only bad part of this torque converter is the time it takes to realise which gear it needs to be. This is evident on single lane highways. I always drive on Tiptronic mode on highways at least that way I am able to select the gear before overtaking.

I have been driving it since more than 2 years and 30k kms so I guess its just a learning curve for you. Otherwise the car is quick off the blocks and does not feel slouch.

With regards to dropping to 1st gear I have come to the conclusion that this AT decides the gear based on speed. So if the speed drops below 20 the gear will come down to 1st. Try triptronic next time you are on a speed breaker, you will notice that even if you are just about 10kph you can slot it to 2nd but if your speed is not more than 30kph it will not slot to 3rd gear. 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
@adneeraj.
Congrats on the new ride! I have recently added the Hyundai i10 Grand AT to my stable for the same purpose as yours, and totally agree that it is the best choice you could have made.
I have driven it on the highway, and it can do speeds upto 100-120kmph on good surfaces. However, I have noticed that longish rides of 200km and above can be quite tiring due to:
1. lack of centre arm rest,
2. no dead pedal,
3. the ergonomics of the seat head rest is not adjustable,
4. the right elbow cannot be comfortably placed on the door elbow rest (hurts the wrist while holding the wheel),
5. the horn operation (so necessary in indian conditions sometimes) isn't soft enough,
6. steering wrap is too smooth and it is a pain to steer with the base of the palm for people who drive one-handed.

One interesting thing I have noticed is that the suspension is on the softer side, which under the conditions we use, causes a light thud while negotiating speed-breakers, which is annoying. I raised this issue with the service guys, but they found nothing amiss!

Rear space is really good, and I shifted to the rear seat for a while during the drive, and the leg space for my 5'10" frame was fantastic. Would have been even better if under thigh support was available.

Some discomfort noticed while reversing and close turns in parking lot, which needs getting used to due to the bulges in the body!

Overall, very satisfied with its smooth operation.
Happy motoring.

Warm regards
Unavowed_X9
Congrats to you as well, I have recently added a universal armrest which has been really helpful.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 13:05   #25
BHPian
 
Durango Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 774
Thanked: 672 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: Shifting from the Marutis to my 1st Hyundai - The Grand i10 Automatic

Congrats, Neeraj, on new your new ride. It's at home in the city and it's best to leave it in D; Eco steals it of the 'nippy' feel! Brakes are a little grabby. My son has one for the past year.
It acquitted itself to the choc-a-block New Year's day traffic and also on the ramp of Phoenix Mall, Chennai, where it smartly moves forward and you don't have bother of stalling the car on the ramp. If you find the D mode jerky, try the manual mode with + and -, then it just zooms forward and can be fun to drive!
Had you waited a little longer you could have gone for the up dated version due this year.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 5th January 2017 at 13:17.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 05:37   #26
BHPian
 
Unavowed_X9's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Indeterminate
Posts: 174
Thanked: 202 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I have recently added a universal armrest which has been really helpful.
Any pics? And any link in case it is available online!? Details please.
Warm regards.
Unavowed_X9
Unavowed_X9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 22:43   #27
BHPian
 
adneeraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 75
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Shifting from the Marutis to my 1st Hyundai - The Grand i10 Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
Any pics? And any link in case it is available online!? Details please.
Warm regards.
Unavowed_X9
Please check the post of SKanchan95 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...review-75.html (Hyundai Grand i10 : Official Review)

I plan to get one fit soon too. Cannot find this model in my city though. It fits nicely between the seats as seen from the photos and does not intrude much on aesthetics either.
adneeraj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2017, 22:55   #28
BHPian
 
adneeraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 75
Thanked: 95 Times
Default Re: Shifting from the Marutis to my 1st Hyundai - The Grand i10 Automatic

A quick update.

Got my first service done at 5 months - 3 months late.. but since it was only a general inspection, it went okay at the dealership.
I also mentioned that I keep traveling and that there was no one to drop the car to the service center

A typical zero bill. No engine oil change or anything.
Just one concern I had and that was the driver's side mirror having a split second lag than the co-driver's. They weren't able to resolve this and went ahead to show me a couple of other Grand i10's and even i20's having the same split second lag.. I was like

Anyway, I came back with the car and a couple of days later even realized that the Baleno we have in the family too had the same "feature".

It has been a go-with car when considering the traffic situation. It's nice to have an automatic as an option to go around and definitely for short runs.

It is primarily used to pick and drop my kid to his playschool, <5-10 kms run-abouts and occasionally to the office as well. It is surprising how fresh one comes out of that car after facing horrible traffic.

It has done just about 2200 kms in 5 months of its ownership and that's how many kms I expect to cover in a month.. ~600 a month.
adneeraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2017, 00:13   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Shifting from the Marutis to my 1st Hyundai - The Grand i10 Automatic

Neeraj, Would you recommend this car today as well? My main concern is with the absence of ABS in Sportz variant. I will occasionally use the car for highway rides.
Satishtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 12:39   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 132
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: Shifting from the Marutis to my 1st Hyundai - The Grand i10 Automatic

Anyone having comparison of gear ratios of the MT & AT variants of the Indian grand i10 ?
A quick search returned an info about the South African grand i10 gear ratios.
It is suggestive of the AT version having a fourth gear ratio pretty much similar to the fifth gear ratio on the MT version (0.713 & 0.719 respectively).
The picture is a screenshot from hyundai South Africa brochure, comparing gear ratios 1 to 5, reverse and the final drive ratio of the AT and MT.

Would the Indian grand i10 be having the same ratios?
Attached Thumbnails
Shifting from the Marutis to my 1st Hyundai - The Grand i10 Automatic-screenshot_20170723161135.jpg  

crdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Celerio AMT or Hyundai Grand i10 Automatic vs Others champ27 What Car? 146 17th August 2016 10:02
Hyundai reorganizes Automatic Variants of Grand i10 and Xcent? Rajeevraj The Indian Car Scene 4 7th May 2016 12:20
Used cars values (Marutis) question Master530i Hatchbacks 17 9th November 2006 20:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks