Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th October 2016, 17:08   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Old saké in a new cup : Meet my 2016 Honda Brio AT Facelift

Congrats sajo on your Brio. Its a fun car that loves to redline and feels quite peppy with the 1.2 vtec, though I havent driven the auto variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
- Only 2 free services, out of which just 1 is an oil change. C'mon Honda, even Maruti offers upto a year of free servicing on all its model.
Attachment 1569275
I got a little confused with this statement. Arent you also getting 1 year of free service?
From what I know, the free service only means free labour. You will have to pay for the consumables even in the free service.
Waspune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 17:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post

I got a little confused with this statement. Arent you also getting 1 year of free service?
From what I know, the free service only means free labour. You will have to pay for the consumables even in the free service.
Nope, as per the manual , it has only 2 "free" service coupons, to be availed at the 3 month and the 6 month interval. 3 months is just an inspection, the 6 month is supposed to be an oil change.
For the 12th month onwards, you gotta pay for both labor and consumables for the Brio. Is it the same for the Amaze as well ?
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 17:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Nope, as per the manual , it has only 2 "free" service coupons, to be availed at the 3 month and the 6 month interval. 3 months is just an inspection, the 6 month is supposed to be an oil change.
For the 12th month onwards, you gotta pay for both labor and consumables for the Brio. Is it the same for the Amaze as well ?
I see. Thanks for clearing the confusion. Regarding Amaze's service intervals and free services I am not informed, maybe the Amaze owners can pitch in.
Waspune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 19:16   #19
BHPian

Congratulations sajo on You're Brio. It is a Pocket Rocket & an excellent choice as a 2nd car for City Commute. Nice Review.

I like this car very much & drive one on weekends, but the thing I hate the most is the Ride. It simply isn't good. Are Goodyear Tyres to be blamed here ? Even after maintaining the optimum tyre Pressure of 26/29, I find the Ride to be very stiff.

Other then that, it's a damn good car. Our Brio has been going wonderful over the past 42 months with Zero Niggles

Cheers
CarguyNish is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 19:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Congratulations sajo on You're Brio. It is a Pocket Rocket & an excellent choice as a 2nd car for City Commute. Nice Review.

I like this car very much & drive one on weekends, but the thing I hate the most is the Ride. It simply isn't good. Are Goodyear Tyres to be blamed here ? Even after maintaining the optimum tyre Pressure of 26/29, I find the Ride to be very stiff.
Thanks CarguyNish. I actually found the ride to be quite pliant. Maybe because our other car is the previous Swift, which has bone jangling ride quality. Maybe you find the ride quality stiff because your other car is the segment benchmark, the Tiago.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 19:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks CarguyNish. I actually found the ride to be quite pliant. Maybe because our other car is the previous Swift, which has bone jangling ride quality. Maybe you find the ride quality stiff because your other car is the segment benchmark, the Tiago.
Thanks, Yes Tiago indeed rides well, but it was purchased recently (August 2016), replacing WagonR. In 2007, there was a Swift as well with us. But compared to all our previous & current cars, I find the Brio too stiff & hard. Maybe a Michelin/Yokohama Tyre swap will improve it.

Some questions if I may ask.

1. How do you feel about the driving position compared to Swift ?
2. Does the Big Glass help while reversing compared to small one on Swift ?
3. What tyre pressure are you currently maintaining ?
CarguyNish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2016, 19:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Thanks, Yes Tiago indeed rides well, but it was purchased recently (August 2016), replacing WagonR. In 2007, there was a Swift as well with us. But compared to all our previous & current cars, I find the Brio too stiff & hard. Maybe a Michelin/Yokohama Tyre swap will improve it.

Some questions if I may ask.

No contest here, the driving position of the Swift is better, along with a better seat. You sit lower in the Brio, Swift is just right, not too tall, not too low.

Marginal advantage of the big glass. But easier to reverse thanks to the light controls. Smaller wing mirrors than the Swift a disadvantage too.

I am maintaining 30 front and at the back. I should go down a PSI I think to see if it becomes even more pliant.
PS : Pressure reading from a neighbouring puncturewala. Need to get it checked from a pump.
Old 24th October 2016, 22:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your car zoom_vroom! Please post pics and a report too! Can you let us know if you had opted for the extras , and if you are okay with sharing it, the final on road price ?
Hello sajo,
I got mine for 6.14 lacs.
That includes deduction of 35K for my 2002 model Wagon R.
This on road price is with zero depreciation insurance and and registration charges in Haryana of about 32K.
I got original Honda fabric mats, body cover, anti rust underbody treatment and hydrostatic lock coverage worth Rs. 900 as complimentary.
The sales sheet mentioned on road price od Rs 6.55 lacs which includes 0 depreciation insurance, extended warranty and registration.

Beyond this i have installed original Honda door protectors worth Rs 700.

I have bought the car for my wife as i already have City VMT 2010 model for myself. I found Brio to be a joy to drive in the city. We had test driven Baleno and Grand i10. My wife found Baleno quite cumbersome to drive. She liked Grand i 10 but high service cost tilted decision in favour of Brio.
Honda are generally low on service cost if you avoid the extras the service advisors try to sell you.
Also Grand i10 overall driving experience was no where close ro Brio for a person who has tasted IVTEC already.
I could not help comparing each of these cars with my City and found Brio to be closest.
We didn't buy Jazz as my running is quite low and Brio serves the purpose for our small family.

As far as driving experience is concerned i found Brio to be responsive and fast with great handling but a little light steering.
Honda is stingy when it comes to features and i really hated the absence of button illumination in the driver door panel.
Audio is good with good bluetooth compatibility.

Brio doesn't seem value for money when you compare its features but i feel that its an epitome of Honda engineering in terms of engine and space utilization whic one understands only after having lived with this cute baby Honda.

Attaching the only pic i have taken ao far.
Attached Thumbnails
Old saké in a new cup : Meet my 2016 Honda Brio AT Facelift-1477327863039.jpg  

Last edited by zoom_vroom : 24th October 2016 at 22:43.
zoom_vroom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2016, 00:26   #24
BHPian

Nice review! It is a good choice at this price point and I was in the race to pick a second car, an AT. Wanted Jazz AT, but with the on road price in bangalore northward of 10 lakhs, there was nothing that excited me enough to shell out that kind of money. I found the same for brio! There was no VFM at all from my perspective. Baleno's long waiting period meant a straight NO. I ended up with another Maruti, yes you got it right - Celerio ZXI (o).

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Join the club. My solution to this problem:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...hting-kit.html (Review: Osram LED Ambient Lighting Kit)

If you are willing to cut wires and void warranty, cheaper alternatives are available.
I really wonder how honda works! I tried buying a honda, first the dealer managed to convince me that they are very arrogant and then when I looked in at the features and the price point, Really? what are people smoking back there at Honda! Honda was a real let down for me in this segment. Shelling out so much and I don't get backlit switches!
bhansali_hardik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 10:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

At a steady 70 kmph with gentle acceleration on the highway , should I be concerned about the FE ? I know I should wait for a couple of more tankfuls though for things to settle down. When my dad had taken it out in the city, the MID actually showed 7.8kmpl , then slowly crept back up to a steady 10kmpl !

Old saké in a new cup : Meet my 2016 Honda Brio AT Facelift-img_20161027_114538085_burst000_cover_top.jpg

Last edited by sajo : 28th October 2016 at 10:18. Reason: Attachment not showing up.
Old 28th October 2016, 10:25   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
At a steady 70 kmph with gentle acceleration on the highway , should I be concerned about the FE ? I know I should wait for a couple of more tankfuls though for things to settle down. When my dad had taken it out in the city, the MID actually showed 7.8kmpl , then slowly crept back up to a steady 10kmpl !

Attachment 1571495
10 kmpl in the city is not unusual. My A-Star AT (4 speed) gives 8.5 to 11 kmpl within the city limits. Automatics seem to be more sensitive to variables like traffic conditions, drive duration etc

Your Brio AT seems to be displaying highway average FE of 10.1 kmpl. Drive for some more distance and then check the average. You will probably get 14 kmpl to 18 kmpl, depending on how your drive. If you want higher FE, take the foot off the accelerator and let it coast on sloping roads. There is no need to keep your foot on the accelerator 100% of the time. And yes, accelerate gently.

Engine RPM seems to be on higher side for Brio AT - 1650 RPM at 72 kmph. In my BRV CVT, engine RPM is 1950 at 100 kmph.

Last edited by smartcat : 28th October 2016 at 10:33.
smartcat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2016, 12:52   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom_vroom View Post

I could not help comparing each of these cars with my City and found Brio to be closest.
We didn't buy Jazz as my running is quite low and Brio serves the purpose for our small family.
Brio doesn't seem value for money when you compare its features but i feel that its an epitome of Honda engineering in terms of engine and space utilization whic one understands only after having lived with this cute baby Honda.
Thats an excellent color zoom_vroom , it looks even better in bright light. I agree, if its VFM that one is looking for , then Brio is not really the car for you. Waiting for more pics and an ownership report from you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
I found the same for brio! There was no VFM at all from my perspective. Baleno's long waiting period meant a straight NO. I ended up with another Maruti, yes you got it right - Celerio ZXI (o).
The Celerio is a decent , VFM proposition. It was my second choice too, purely because of the ease of ownership.

Quote:
Your Brio AT seems to be displaying highway average FE of 10.1 kmpl. Drive for some more distance and then check the average. You will probably get 14 kmpl to 18 kmpl, depending on how your drive. If you want higher FE, take the foot off the accelerator and let it coast on sloping roads. There is no need to keep your foot on the accelerator 100% of the time. And yes, accelerate gently.
Yep, already drive it really gently, dont gun the engine at any time, and coast as much as possible.

Quote:
Engine RPM seems to be on higher side for Brio AT - 1650 RPM at 72 kmph. In my BRV CVT, engine RPM is 1950 at 100 kmph.
Its still a bit less than my MT Swift for the same speeds, though Swift rockets there a bit quicker. The combination of better spaced out ratios of the CVT and a bigger engine means the BR-V sure has an advantage in the ease of achieving speeds department.
Thats the reason I would have been happier with the CVT in the Brio Facelift, better suited for smaller engines, IMHO.
Here's the Brio at 1950 RPM in comparison.

Old saké in a new cup : Meet my 2016 Honda Brio AT Facelift-img_20161028_111536895.jpg
sajo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2016, 01:48   #28

Congrats on the new car!

I too own a 2013 Brio VX AT and we're still in love! I could relate to most of the things you have said in the original post, and I too wish they came with a rear wiper (something that I miss during the rainy days in Kerala). But rest of the things that you mentioned like the missing backlight for the shifter and power windows, I think you'll get over it soon.

I get an average of 10 kmpl in the city and 15 kmpl on the highway if I do some heavy footing, but if I try to drive on the ECO mode as much as possible, I could get 18 kmpl, which isn't bad.
hackedunit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2016, 20:27   #29
BHPian

Thanks sajo.
Well of late i have started driving Brio more than the City. Brio feels much more agile and easy to drive in the elder sibling. Getting FE of around 16.5 with AC. Will be going to the dealer to check accessories and will update you all.
zoom_vroom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2016, 00:32   #30
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1571495
Sajo, with a traditional torque converter the system (the two halves connected to the flywheel and gearbox respectively) takes a few seconds to come up to speed. Hence you will need to be gentle with the gas pedal.

This is more so in the city where we do not find open roads ahead so often. On the highway if you maintain 2000 rpm and 80 kmph that will deliver fantastic mileage.

As for the ac, switch it on after you have driven a couple of kilometers. Do not switch it on immediately.

As for the engine, idle for less than a minute after cranking and then drive off. At the traffic light move to N so that the engine is not loaded.

Have been practising these for my i10 AT since 2012.

Regards
Nikhil
nsbhagwat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote