Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th April 2017, 13:14   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Ownership Review - Tata Tiago XZ Petrol

ashokabs,

How is the performance post run-in? Is there any improvement in the low end or high end? Has the engine oil been changed? I'd expect more changes after the first oil change.
Did you get a chance to take it out on expressways yet?

Do let us know how your wife finds it too. It'd be good to hear more perspectives on the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
The engine is new and so I have been going easy running it in by not exceeding 2500 rpm in any gear. This corresponds to 20-40-60-80 km/hr in first, second, third and fourth gears. The car is reasonably responsive to the throttle for a new car. Once the engine is around 2000 rpm or over there is reasonable responsiveness from the engine. I am used to this as the Honda ivtech is quite similar in third and fourth gears. In second gear in particular there is a feeling of sluggishness which comes in one or two waves. This might be a problem with the ECU tuning but needs to be observed further. Let's be clear it is a 1200 cc engine in a heavier than normal car and does I understand 1-100km in 16 seconds so it would be silly to expect it to blast away the competition in acceleration. Once it has done around 1000 km I will do a thorough test and update this report.
However, I will get a proper feedback from her after the first service is over and she has had time to assess it so I can report it in the thread.
jetti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2017, 16:21   #32
BHPian

The car drives well without the AC. With the AC on it is a bit laboured and I think the mileage does take a fair hit. However, I haven't yet done the 2nd free service so no oil change but I think the air filter is choked and so might be one of the reasons for poor mileage. Will know tomorrow after 2nd service. My daughter loves it as she is very fond of music and can connect her ipod touch and play all the stuff she wants. She likes the convenience of small size and being able to zip in and out of traffic. Hasn't complained about the acceleration though the other cars I have are 3rd and 4th generation Honda Citys. I have taken it on the DND where it has no problem keeping up with other cars. I have accelerated upto 100 kmph without any problem. The engine is very free revving so getting upto 4000-4500 rpm is often reached. Gear ratios more for economy so overtaking possible mainly in 3rd gear only.
ashokabs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2017, 22:38   #33
BHPian

I am getting around 14.8 km/l on the ODO with AC on all the time and in bad traffic in Delhi. Average speed is around 15 km/hr. I will be checking by the tank fill method tomorrow and will give the comparison. I suspect it should be around 13.5 to 14.0 km/ltr. In winter with no AC it was around 15.5 km/ltr. Of course a lot depends on the way you drive. I get the best mileage by keeping the revs up a bit around 2000 and changing into 4th or 5th gear at the earliest.
ashokabs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2017, 17:58   #34

I have a July 2016 Petrol XZ and my "tunni tiago" - a nickname we have for it, does about 20kms daily in heavy traffic (like crawling speeds of 10-15kmph for 3-5 kms) in Gurgaon. My fuel mileage ranges from 11.5-12.3kmpl. I'm not sure if for everyone it's that bad. Chatting with other Tiago owners, they get around 15-17kmpl. I have never had that, in fact the most I've seen is 12.8kmpl in my tunni.

Pros:
1. AWESOME music system, nothing comes close even in two segments higher
2. Suspension - copes beautifully with pot filled Indian roads
3. Highway manners - very stable even in three digit speeds, we did a 600+ kms drive from Lucknow - Gwalior - Gurgaon via the newly constructed Lucknow-Agra expressway and Tiago was happy and stable at 110+kmph speeds with three folks inside.

Cons:
1. 3-cylinder motor IS in fact a bit noisy when the air-con and music system is off. Noise isn't as bad as that of 3-cylinder motor of VW Polo but not far behind.
2. not very fuel efficient compared to other small cars
3. NVH levels can be better - comparing it with Grand i10 (Celerio is bad!)
djay434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2017, 11:22   #35
BHPian

Yes, in very bad bumper to bumper traffic you can get low fuel efficiency. Try running it in ECO mode during this period as you don't need to accelerate in such slow traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay434 View Post
I have a July 2016 Petrol XZ and my "tunni tiago" - a nickname we have for it, does about 20kms daily in heavy traffic (like crawling speeds of 10-15kmph for 3-5 kms) in Gurgaon. My fuel mileage ranges from 11.5-12.3kmpl. I'm not sure if for everyone it's that bad. Chatting with other Tiago owners, they get around 15-17kmpl. I have never had that, in fact the most I've seen is 12.8kmpl in my tunni.

Pros:
1. AWESOME music system, nothing comes close even in two segments higher
2. Suspension - copes beautifully with pot filled Indian roads
3. Highway manners - very stable even in three digit speeds, we did a 600+ kms drive from Lucknow - Gwalior - Gurgaon via the newly constructed Lucknow-Agra expressway and Tiago was happy and stable at 110+kmph speeds with three folks inside.

Cons:
1. 3-cylinder motor IS in fact a bit noisy when the air-con and music system is off. Noise isn't as bad as that of 3-cylinder motor of VW Polo but not far behind.
2. not very fuel efficient compared to other small cars
3. NVH levels can be better - comparing it with Grand i10 (Celerio is bad!)
ashokabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 13:18   #36
BHPian

Congratulations Asholabs for your new car!

Right now I want to upgrade from my WagonR and zeroing in on Tata Tigor petrol. However there are no ownership reviews for Tigor, and Tiago is the best closest.

Negatives which are highlighted in this review are:
- NVH levels
- underpowered engine

Want to know, how serious is underpowered engine issue, as I want to buy Tigor petrol.
scorpio118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2017, 16:06   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio118 View Post
Congratulations Asholabs for your new car!

Right now I want to upgrade from my WagonR and zeroing in on Tata Tigor petrol. However there are no ownership reviews for Tigor, and Tiago is the best closest.

Negatives which are highlighted in this review are:
- NVH levels
- underpowered engine

Want to know, how serious is underpowered engine issue, as I want to buy Tigor petrol.
You won't feel is underpowered in the city but you might feel it on the highway with passengers and luggage.

The NVH is more than acceptable, especially with the windows closed.

Best to take a long test drive and judge for yourself.
Motard_Blr is offline   Reply With Quote