Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th February 2017, 19:51   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: My Tata Safari Storme Varicor : 400 Nm & 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I took my Storme to OTR with TBHP group and lost my rear lower bumper to an incline. Below is the video showing how I lost it along with the image after the incident.

I am planning to keep it as is now as it gives me better departure angle on inclines.
Sorry for the damaged bumper, I feel guilty about it, I pushed you to try this.

Actually I would suggest a custom fabricated fibre piece to slightly fill the gap, and maybe trim the sides too. Better to find a used bumper from Mayapuri and get it modded. Only problem is the exhaust will look bad without the trim.

One other Storme that travelled with us to Ladakh also had this piece broken off, this rear bumper is not designed keeping off roading.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 09:52   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Sorry for the damaged bumper, I feel guilty about it, I pushed you to try this.

Actually I would suggest a custom fabricated fibre piece to slightly fill the gap, and maybe trim the sides too. Better to find a used bumper from Mayapuri and get it modded. Only problem is the exhaust will look bad without the trim.

One other Storme that travelled with us to Ladakh also had this piece broken off, this rear bumper is not designed keeping off roading.
Please don't be sorry about it. It is not at all your fault. In fact, I am thankful to you and Rohit for making me comfortable with Storme's use in not so easy terrains. I will never know the capabilities and limitations of my truck without your help. It is better to experience such damages in your presence than getting stuck in some remote places by taking the truck where it is not suppose to go.

I would love to keep the bumper the way it is now. However, all bumper pieces are designed in such a way that they support each other. Absence of one piece resulted in loosening of others. I will figure out something soon and get it done. Will get a new one if, in case, I don't like the custom solution.

I loved the look of the Storme that accompanied you to Ladakh. A day before this OTR, I was telling one of my office colleague that I would like to get this black piece removed. I guess my wish was granted before I anticipated.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 11:41   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to keep it as is now as it gives me better departure angle on inclines.
Naah, doesn't suit the look. Looks like one of those call centre Xylos with a some plastic bits missing from here and there. If you have been enjoying your OTRs and wish to make the vehicle more capable, I'd recommend a 20mm suspension lift. Easy to fabricate, install and will give you better approach, departure and ramp break-over angles.

Else, ask Anshuman to compensate for the loss and get you an Ironman rear bumper.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 13:46   #34
Senior - BHPian

Too bad there is no bolt on Ironman type bumper on offer for the Storme. Or for that mater any other part too.
I somehow feel that I might loose the strong highway performance by these changes. This thing pummels highways, good and bad like none other! After taking trips with me on the storme, a lot of highway mile munchers have gone for the 400.

What you could alternatively do Sourabh is that you replace the broken piece with a new one. And then get a skid plate bolted just below it. Now that skid plate should be mounted in that pipe member which runs across the spare tire. That way when you hit it next time it will not bend and hit the black bumper part but will stay intact as it is supported by that tubular member.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 10th February 2017 at 13:49.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 00:26   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Too bad there is no bolt on Ironman type bumper on offer for the Storme.
Actually TATA offers it as an official accessory package for the Storme. That includes the Front & rear bumpers, Rock sliders.

More info available in this thread.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post4007919 (Tata Safari Storme Varicor 400 : Official Review)

Having said that, I'm not sure if the rear bumper accessory can be purchased separately. Also, that would move the spare wheel from under the chassis to the rear bumper mount - Like the Dicor! Kinda nostalgic?!
nerd1200 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2017, 19:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
Actually TATA offers it as an official accessory package for the Storme. That includes the Front & rear bumpers, Rock sliders.
Yep, Tata offers whole lot of accessories but only on papers. They proudly show them in expos and performance shows but their dealers have absolutely no clue where to get them from. As per Concorde, even Pune plant is clueless. I mentioned this on Tata's Facebook page but got the standard response- our team will get back to you.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 15:25   #37
BHPian

Saw anshuman's youtube video on MLD vs LSD. Is that one rotating rear wheel on your car, not an indicator of failed LSD? Do you plan to take it to service center for this?
black_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2017, 23:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_rider View Post
Saw anshuman's youtube video on MLD vs LSD. Is that one rotating rear wheel on your car, not an indicator of failed LSD? Do you plan to take it to service center for this?
Precisely my thoughts. An LSD cannot work like this. It simply isn't working.
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 00:06   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
My understanding is that LSD is enabled in conjunction with 4H or 4L. In the videos, I suppose it was in 2H as there was no power to the front axle.

Experts might correct me here though!
nerd1200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 09:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
My understanding is that LSD is enabled in conjunction with 4H or 4L. In the videos, I suppose it was in 2H as there was no power to the front axle.
The LSD has no direct connection to the 4WD modes. It is activated based on the difference of rpm between the two driveshafts/axles powering each wheel. It has an inbuilt clutch set which senses this difference and applies some resistance and hence transfers power to both the axles.

Here is more:
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 12:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

My guess is that even Tata will not be able to explain why LSD didn't (or doesn't) work in reality. We have talked about it a lot of time and that video was shot with intention of having some explanation on LSD workings Vs other type of diffs. Honestly LSD may look very good on spec sheet, I am not sure if it would work in practice as intended in theory. There is no substitute of having a proper diff-locker in 4WD vehicles to split power 50:50. Active Traction Control, may be yes, but then added electronics are going to give headache later on if something goes wrong with them!

.anshuman even mentioned later in our discussion that US Ford forums were full of LSD's not being effective as well.

@ Sourabh, really felt bad that day to see the damage on your Storme. I will suggest you to get rear bumper modded in such a way that it doesn't spoil the look as well as your departure angle. Putting the broken piece will bring the things back to square one. Will discuss it next time we meet.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2017, 13:09   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I took my Storme to OTR with TBHP group and lost my rear lower bumper to an incline. Below is the video showing how I lost it along with the image after the incident.

Dont worry about it , many of us who are SOUL members and go off the road have this broken. And yes the cost is also more. I have planned to fabricate it in some diff flexible material.

Regarding LSD - i will try a similar experiment on my Storme 4x4, lets see how the LSD works in real. I have put the DANA 4x4 LSD oil in the rear axle which enables the LSD to work as it should be. Tata workshops put the regular axle oil which have no friction boosters and i guess the LSD keeps slipping.
Obviously given the technology the MLD is way better than LSD, but nevertheless storme is not a hardcore off roader but it still manages to do quite an offroading.

Last edited by bblost : 21st February 2017 at 13:13. Reason: Removed embedded video link in the quoted post. Thanks.
amit_mechengg is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 12:28   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
My guess is that even Tata will not be able to explain why LSD didn't (or doesn't) work in reality. We have talked about it a lot of time and that video was shot with intention of having some explanation on LSD workings Vs other type of diffs. Honestly LSD may look very good on spec sheet, I am not sure if it would work in practice as intended in theory. There is no substitute of having a proper diff-locker in 4WD vehicles to split power 50:50. Active Traction Control, may be yes, but then added electronics are going to give headache later on if something goes wrong with them!

.anshuman even mentioned later in our discussion that US Ford forums were full of LSD's not being effective as well.
One person who would have helped us is no more with us now.

TATA may not be able to explain why LSD failed. I searched the net and after going through many sites I feel LSD is of less use in such off roading. It helps a bit in snow and wet conditions and when vehicle is slightly moving. It may not work in stalled conditions. Will search more to get definite answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post
I will suggest you to get rear bumper modded in such a way that it doesn't spoil the look as well as your departure angle. Putting the broken piece will bring the things back to square one. Will discuss it next time we meet.
We shall definitely discuss it next time. The only issue with the broken bumper is that the pieces are joined together and they hold each other. Other pieces are now hanging there without complete required support. Otherwise it does not bother me much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Dont worry about it , many of us who are SOUL members and go off the road have this broken. And yes the cost is also more. I have planned to fabricate it in some diff flexible material.

Regarding LSD - i will try a similar experiment on my Storme 4x4, lets see how the LSD works in real. I have put the DANA 4x4 LSD oil in the rear axle which enables the LSD to work as it should be. Tata workshops put the regular axle oil which have no friction boosters and i guess the LSD keeps slipping.
Obviously given the technology the MLD is way better than LSD, but nevertheless storme is not a hardcore off roader but it still manages to do quite an offroading.
Please share your solution for the rear bumper in case you get it done before me. The original one surely cost a lot and I am not in mood to spend that kind of money now.

Regarding LSD, mine is just 8500 km old so differential oil is still unchanged. Will wait for the result of your experiment.

Last edited by sourabhzen : 22nd February 2017 at 12:30.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 16:22   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TATA may not be able to explain why LSD failed.
I do not agree to this statement.

A dealer is NOT Tata Motors.

Tata Motors employs the best available people from the best colleges in the country.

Most of us find it very easy/convenient to blame/accuse/hold TML as the culprit and also take their lack of knowledge for granted, which is NOT the case.

The person all of us respect so much, willingly joined TML because he knew their potential and was confident of adding value there.

I would still suggest you take the issue up with their regional team and ensure they look into it. With a consistent follow up and I am sure there will be a genuine answer.
n.devdath is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 18:48   #45
Senior - BHPian

To be frank there is no LSD failure as being termed here. And you are right Devdath , TML is no kids playground. They have one of the best in industry people coupled with best in class R&D. forget all this the vendor who supplies axles is Spicer Dana. So the question is ruled out that the quality is an issue or LSD has an issue. Dana is one of the best when it comes to Axles
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote