Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd February 2017, 10:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My Tata Safari Storme Varicor : 400 Nm & 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I would still suggest you take the issue up with their regional team and ensure they look into it. With a consistent follow up and I am sure there will be a genuine answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
To be frank there is no LSD failure as being termed here. And you are right Devdath , TML is no kids playground. They have one of the best in industry people coupled with best in class R&D. forget all this the vendor who supplies axles is Spicer Dana. So the question is ruled out that the quality is an issue or LSD has an issue. Dana is one of the best when it comes to Axles
Point well taken! I guess my service will be due by around next weekend. I will speak to the team there and will reach out to regional team if they fail to provide any satisfactory explanation.

P.S. I have interacted with Concorde Mathura Road team a couple of times and found them quite good. Is there any TASS or person in NCR who is recommended by Safari owners in Delhi-NCR?
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 21:25   #47
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Bichu Shaji drops the following email:

Quote:
Hey GTO,

Kindly share these pics with Sourabhzen on the below thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...00-nm-4x4.html (My Tata Safari Storme Varicor : 400 Nm & 4x4)

He was looking for offroad bumpers for the Safari Storme. I'm sharing some pics from an Instagram user : stormeoverland - these look neatly integrated.

With regards

InsaneTurbo
My Tata Safari Storme Varicor : 400 Nm & 4x4-img_h2904l.jpg

My Tata Safari Storme Varicor : 400 Nm & 4x4-img_6xt68s.jpg

My Tata Safari Storme Varicor : 400 Nm & 4x4-img_wrzqdh.jpg

My Tata Safari Storme Varicor : 400 Nm & 4x4-img_t0toci.jpg

My Tata Safari Storme Varicor : 400 Nm & 4x4-screenshot_20170215011909641_com.instagram.android.png
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 19:49   #48
Senior - BHPian

I havent yet experimented the LSD on my storme as i couldnt get a similar track. But i think i can try it with a jack too by lifting one rear wheel right?
Secondly i was investigating a bit and am landing to a conclusion that LSD as the name says has very limited intrusion and is of no real help in tough situations.

Now the next question arises. Can we fit a MLD on the safari storme.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 20:35   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I havent yet experimented the LSD on my storme as i couldnt get a similar track. But i think i can try it with a jack too by lifting one rear wheel right?
Yes, that is how I checked Hariya's MLD when it was first fitted.

Quote:
Now the next question arises. Can we fit a MLD on the safari storme.
The MLD, by itself is not a very complex component but a lot of associated engineering is required to fit into an existing drivetrain. Unless the vendor supplying the differential as OEM to TML has an MLD corresponding to the same RAR, and has been tested by TML on a similar differential, it is a serious experiment.

Would I love to see someone do it? YES.

Would I love to be a part of such a project? Oh, yeah.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 20:46   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, that is how I checked Hariya's MLD when it was first fitted.

The MLD, by itself is not a very complex component but a lot of associated engineering is required to fit into an existing drivetrain.
I guess you fitted it onto your Scorpio. Since you have been there and done it can you throw some light on what all associated aspects need to be looked into. Do you have any WIP pics. Any issues faced till date?

IF not MLD what kind of locker can be fitted without much headache
amit_mechengg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 20:56   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess you fitted it onto your Scorpio. Since you have been there and done it can you throw some light on what all associated aspects need to be looked into. Do you have any WIP pics. Any issues faced till date?

IF not MLD what kind of locker can be fitted without much headache
Fitting it to Hariya was a plug and play thing since Eaton already had one (still do) as their standard OEM fitment for the export version of the Getaway and both of them shared the same RAR.

However, I must mention here that I wasn't too happy with its performance since it would lock the driveshafts together when the differential rpm exceeded 100 but would immediately release the lock the minute the locked wheel had some traction and the differential rpm decreased.

So on a long, snowy stretch for example, the rear wheel would go khat-(vehicle moves a bit)-khat (MLD unlocks)-grrr(wheelspin)-khat (MLD locks)- (vehicle moves a bit)-khat (MLD unlocks again)

I would hence prefer an air locker by ARB but am sure they do not have it for the Storme.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 21:16   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So on a long, snowy stretch for example, the rear wheel would go khat-(vehicle moves a bit)-khat (MLD unlocks)-grrr(wheelspin)-khat (MLD locks)- (vehicle moves a bit)-khat (MLD unlocks again)

I would hence prefer an air locker by ARB but am sure they do not have it for the Storme.
i could exactly visualize this situation. Continuous sounds of locking and unlocking and the zhatkas. Yes a switch operated or cable operated locker would be really good.

How worthy is all this for a family SUV like scorpio or safari which is not a hardcore offroader

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...ine-axles.html (Indian Diff-Lock for the Dana44 19 & 30 Spline Axles)

Edit: is this an option?

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 24th February 2017 at 21:17.
Old 24th February 2017, 21:45   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How worthy is all this for a family SUV like scorpio or safari which is not a hardcore offroader
Precisely my ponder as well.

Also, with people successfully going to remote places in hatchbacks and 2WD SUVs with sensible driving, a 4WD with a low ratio and an open diff is more than sufficient for touring/overlanding/trailblazing duties which is the primary purpose of a family SUV.

I'm sure it is, but as can be seen from the thread, it entails extensive modification to the differential and its housing. Also, cables can become rough to operate and develop slack over a period of time and any amount of incomplete locking can result in a damaged differential, bell housing and the ring and pinion gears.

Budget and time permitting, I'd go for an ARB air locker on just the rear differential.
Old 27th February 2017, 13:54   #54
Senior - BHPian

Update - There was a offroading event for all Isuzu owners by the company on my friends farm which the Pune Path finders had arranged.

The track was quite challenging. I did try the working of LSD with the help of off-road experts and the Lambda locking hubs dealer itself.
With one wheel in the air and 4x2 mode the wheels keeps spinning. The Lambda dealer clearly mentioned that we are trying a wrong exercise with the LSD.
LSD is strictly meant to work in situations like slush and snow where both the wheels are rotating or having atleast some amount of rotation. We tries this exactly where the rear right wheel was having a bit of traction and we could hear the LSD kicking in with a distinct sound and the Storme jumped out of the ditch.
He also mentioned that Swastik Fabs- Lambda locker fits the storme

After the Isuzu event - in which we drove the Vcross through all the tracks i dared to drive my storme in all those, and we all were surprised that the storme did all the tracks with better ease than the Isuzus.
amit_mechengg is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2017, 18:35   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
LSD is strictly meant to work in situations like slush and snow where both the wheels are rotating or having atleast some amount of rotation. We tries this exactly where the rear right wheel was having a bit of traction and we could hear the LSD kicking in with a distinct sound and the Storme jumped out of the ditch.
So it looks like the LSD did work after all, and it was able to pull the vehicle out too. I feel this also in due to the correct oil you have used in your vehicle compared to what TML dealers refill.

I m wondering what the people at the plant fill when they dispatch new vehicles.

Quote:
After the Isuzu event - in which we drove the Vcross through all the tracks i dared to drive my storme in all those, and we all were surprised that the storme did all the tracks with better ease than the Isuzus.
This is great news. In fact, the offroad prowess of the V-400 (Storme) has been pretty well established at a lot of places. After all, we know who its step-father was.

Any photos of the event? Videos would be even better.

Quote:
He also mentioned that Swastik Fabs- Lambda locker fits the storme
They have been doing this for a long time but the amount of modifications needed to fit it is what keeps me away. He is related to a very close friend of mine and is based out of Bangalore.
Old 27th February 2017, 18:52   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So it looks like the LSD did work after all, and it was able to pull the vehicle out too. I feel this also in due to the correct oil you have used in your vehicle compared to what TML dealers refill.
Yes but not when the rear right wheel was totally in air like Anshumans Video on youtube. LSD acted only when the wheel has a bit of traction, to sum up LSD arrests the relative difference in rpms of the slipping wheel.

Quote:
I m wondering what the people at the plant fill when they dispatch new vehicles.
I too wonder. But for sure the TASS doesnt have the DANA oil

Quote:
Any photos of the event? Videos would be even better.
Let me put some

Quote:
They have been doing this for a long time but the amount of modifications needed to fit it is what keeps me away. He is related to a very close friend of mine and is based out of Bangalore
The Pune dealer said there is no modification required. They do not touch the crown gear at all. The lambda unit sit in between the other gears and is kind of bolt on. Need to verify practically. But the other thing is when the Storme could do this amount of offroading which we did why is the locker needed. Storme anyways is not going to be comfortable if we push it beyond its limit
Old 27th February 2017, 18:59   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Pune dealer said there is no modification required. They do not touch the crown gear at all. The lambda unit sit in between the other gears and is kind of bolt on. Need to verify practically.
They may not touch the gears and pinion inside the diff, but they will make the locker sit in between some components which have been manufactured with certain clearances and tolerances in mind and they will be altered. Further to accommodate the cable mechanism to activate and de activate the locker, they will drill the differential housing and route the cable into the cabin.

All of these, to my mind, are significant modifications which will entail certain risks. For example, if they do not seal the diff properly and water seeps into it, the expenses will be heavy. There are a lot of such scenarios.

Have they fitted it to any V-400's yet?

Quote:
But the other thing is when the Storme could do this amount of offroading which we did why is the locker needed. Storme anyways is not going to be comfortable if we push it beyond its limit
Which is why I requested for photos and videos.
Old 27th February 2017, 19:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

Some photos, will have to upload the videos on youtube and then post it here
Attached Thumbnails
My Tata Safari Storme Varicor : 400 Nm & 4x4-img20170226wa0072.jpg  

My Tata Safari Storme Varicor : 400 Nm & 4x4-img20170226wa0067.jpg  

My Tata Safari Storme Varicor : 400 Nm & 4x4-img20170226wa0065.jpg  

Old 27th February 2017, 21:10   #59
Senior - BHPian

Tilt Test - the video really doesnt do justice as it looks as if the tilt is less, but i was damn terrified. My co passenger was literally railing on the door pads.

Downhill crawl - uphill on the same spot was easily done by storme in the low ratio

amit_mechengg is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2017, 22:57   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tilt Test - the video really doesnt do justice as it looks as if the tilt is less, but i was damn terrified.

Downhill crawl - uphill on the same spot was easily done by storme in the low ratio
I would never take chances with tilt test.

I posted video my first ever off road stint on my Storme. The downhill descent on rutty and steep hillock was quite an experience of the crawl. The truck was 18 days and 600kms old then.
sourabhzen is offline   Reply With Quote