Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th November 2016, 16:24   #1

Default New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!

I purchased a Ford Figo TDCi Titanium on Dussera, that is, 11th October 2016. It has covered ~5000 kms as of now. The already existing Chevrolet Spark PS will be serving as a second car now onward.
This variant is equipped with ABS and 2 airbags, apart from other bells and whistle typically found in premium hatchback segment.

Summary:

2. Best driving experience in the segment
3. Fantastic engine, completely at ease in city and it owns highway. Good performance and FE as well.
4. Dynamically sorted. Fantastic ride-handling balance. Better than previous generation Figo, which was too stiff.
5. Strong, spacious and practical. Comfortable and supportive seats. Lots of storage spaces.
6. Stylish, neat and proportionate look.
7. VFM.

Dislikes:
1. The design and quality of the interiors is just acceptable.
2. Suspension feels stiff at low speed.
3. Gear shift requires strong push.
4. Some features are missing: Touchscreen, navigation, window roll back after locking, ORVM folding after locking.
5. Bluetooth connectivity is inconsistent.

Since the beginning of 2016, another car was due in family along with the Spark. The primary requirements:
1. Good engine. Preferably petrol.
2. Dynamically sorted
3. Hatchback
4. ABS
5. Budget Rs. 4 lakh for used car and Rs. 8 lakh for new car!

Then there were secondary requirements like looks, space, and features etc. which, as mentioned, were secondary. Again things didn’t change much since 2008 when I purchased Spark – Mechanical supremacy first!
With the excellent ownership experience of Spark, the next car has big shoes to fill IMO.

Cars considered part 1:
1. Used VW Polo 1.6 (P)
It meets all above criteria – Good petrol engine viz. big (for the size of car) and naturally aspirated. Well-tuned suspension. Most of the available cars are from Mumbai. I overcome my mental block to purchase a ‘Mumbai car’. Still the history of the cars was not encouraging. Car owners from Pune were asking too much of price. One more calculation came into the play – all VW Polos are around 5 years old as it was sold between 20010-12. I would own it for 5 more years. Then, I’d have to replace two cars at the same time, The Spark and The Polo. So, dropped the idea.

2. Used Toyota Liva 1.5 (P) TRD Sportivo
First thing is, it didn’t appeal to me. Then I experienced it and found it to be a bad NVH package. Availability is also an issue. Dropped.

I decided to go for a new car. It is very easy, A car with Honda engine, Ford chassis, VW build and Toyota reliability! But life is not fair, right?

There is plethora of 1.2 (P) cars in market. A close observation revealed me that, all of them are producing 80-90 bhp and weigh more than 900 kgs. It results in typical performance figures as follows (Ref: Autocar India),

Acceleration:
0-100 kmph in ~13 seconds
Roll-on acceleration:
20-80 kmph in third gear in ~15 seconds
40-100 kmph in fourth gear in ~22 seconds

These figures vary car to car by +/-2 seconds depending upon weight, gearing, calibration etc. I am trying to present a mean of available data. Incidentally, similar figures are returned by my Rs. 3.30 lakh Chevy Spark. I am not at all satisfied with this performance, now. My take on the situation is, it is a tough problem for manufacturers. Petrol cars below 1.2 L displacement have lesser excise duty, thus it is the right engine size in this price conscious segment. A decently built petrol car weighs more than 900 kg. One has to live with this kind of performance. And most importantly, it is acceptable for most of the people.
Three compact cars broke this performance barrier – VW Polo 1.2 GT TSI (105 bhp), Ford EcoSport 1.0 EcoBoost (123 bhp) and Maruti Suzuki Baleno 1.2 (P) (Owing to lesser kerb weight of 865 kg). The first two are out of my budget. Dropped. It is very easy to like Baleno. But, I could not form an opinion about its suspension. When three people are sitting at the rear, it sags substantially, indicating it is soft. While I was crawling over a typical speed breaker which is in set of three, it tossed the passengers a lot, indicating it is stiff. Several user opinions also suggest that, the ride at the rear is not pliant. The probable high speed instability due to lower kerb weight has already occupied one corner of my brain. This worked against the the Baleno. Since, there is something wrong with the suspension setup, there was no point waiting for Baleno RS which will feature a BoosterJet engine. I was left with three options,
1. Big Naturally Aspirated Petrol – Honda City
2. Turbo petrol – Fiat Linea, VW Polo, Ford EcoSport, Abarth Punto.
3. Turbo Diesel with CRDI.
First two options were pushing me couple of segments above, which my budget was not permitting. Thus, the maverick decision to go for a Hatchback with Turbo Diesel with CRDI having good manners comes into the contention.

Cars considered part 2:
1. Fiat Punto Evo:
Car considered from the heart; but disappointed due to its non-linear power delivery (75 hp fixed geometry turbo version,). I wish the VGT version should have taken care of low speed response instead of producing 90 hp. Moreover, the service and commitment is pathetic. I am yet to receive a call from dealer for 90 hp Punto’s test drive availability. The ABS equipped Punto (Dynamic) costs more than my budget. Nonetheless, I was impressed with looks, suspension, steering and build.

2. VW Polo:
I had driven Polo 1.2 TDI substantially. It had two chinks in its armour – Engine and Space. The first one has been taken care by the introduction of 1.5 L engine, but one has to still live with the second one. To some extent, the space is acceptable to me but the ABS equipped Polo (Comfortline) costs in excess of my budget. VW emission scandal has occupied another corner of my leftover brain. Again, there is no doubt about the excellent looks, suspension and build. I’d rate it as a better car than Punto. Also, IMO VW seems more committed to Indian market than Fiat.

3. Ford Figo:
I was a fan of old Figo. A decent engine, crisp handling, inside comfort – it was a mechanically sorted and delightful package. So, the new Figo has a task at hands. Ford has done a excellent job in plonking a 100 PS engine with flat torque of 215 N-m from 1750-3000 RPM in a hatchback. Performance is all smiles. Turbo lag is very well controlled. Power delivery is linear, just like a well-tuned NA petrol. Ford has chosen slightly softer suspension setup at the expense of crisp handling, but I liked this optimization over the old Figo. I felt the old Figo to be too stiff at lower speeds. The ABS equipped variant (Titanium) is priced below Rs. 8 lakh, thanks to the price cut by Ford w.e.f. 10th August 2016. So, all my primary requirements are met.

Some equations within Ford:
Add Rs. 70,000 and one gets Titanium+ which has 6 airbags, MyKey, SYNC. Benefits – Safety.
Or Add Rs. 70,000 and one gets similarly equipped Figo Aspire. Benefits – Sedan, additional ~100 Litres of boot space.
Or Add Rs. 2,00,000 and one gets similarly equipped EcoSport. Benefit – Ground clearance. But you lose on smashing performance of Figo/Aspire.

Buying experience:
I purchased car from the only dealer in Nashik, Maharashtra – Moharir Ford.

Test drive: The sales representative was very polite and courteous. The car was made available immediately. It has clocked 17,000 km. He suggested the TD route which was on highway. He also accepted to detour the TD in more populated area. This helped me understand the behavior of the car both on highway and in city. I drove all above cars on the same route as all the showrooms are situated in same area within the radius of 1 km. Thus it was a level playing ground for comparison. First thing that I realized is the seats are very comfortable; especially driver’s seat is very comfortable to my frame - 5’10”. Ergonomics was spot-on. Steering is nicely contoured. The dashboard is flat and low slung giving a fantastic view. Moreover, I could see the bonnet from my driving position, a rare thing now-a-days. The engine started with a shake. It’s quite noisy outside but silent inside (by diesel standard), good job by Ford NVH team. Engine pulled cleanly across the rev-range. No turbo lag at all. Once past 1500 RPM the performance was smashing. No nervousness during high speed driving, lane changing, sharp corners etc. In populated areas engine showed a very good flexibility. I encountered some speed breakers and bad section of roads, although the suspension is overall stiff, it showed a supple edge in it, which is important for our roads. I’d call it a Ford magic. Then the sales person explained all the features in detail. Lastly, he couldn’t resist saying that – he felt as if I am driving this car from last 5 years! And he was right. After spending couple of minutes in car, I felt completely in sync with the car and went into the ‘zone’ immediately. Even when I returned home, my wife and mother pointed out that I am grinning like a child unnecessarily. This was a good and intangible indication that I should go ahead!

Quotation, savings, warranty: The first quotation mentioned the on road price of the car as Rs. 8,21,000/- for Ford Figo TDCi Titanium variant. The price of the car before Ford announced the drop of Rs. 60,000/- w.e.f. 10th August 2016 was 8,81,000/-.

Ex-showroom price: 6,85,000
RTO registration charges: 72,000
Insurance: 30,000
Extended Warranty: 19,000
Accessory pack: 15,000

Total: 8,21,000

In Nashik, if one purchases car with address outside NMC (Nashik Municipal Corporation) Limit, LBT (Local Body Tax) is not applicable. I had a property outside NMC, so I booked car on that address and saved Rs. 30,000/-.
I had a test drive in August and people at Mohrir Ford were planning an event for teachers on Teachers’ Day viz. 5th September. I helped them to arrange an event in my institute, wherein they offered free extended warranty. That saved Rs. 19,000/-. The standard warranty is 2 years, 1,00,000 kms. An year is added in extended warranty.
I didn’t chose to buy accessory pack which further saved Rs. 15,000/-.
I went through the ‘tips on buying a new car’ in TeamBHP and thought of buying insurance outside instead of dealer’s insurance, as it was 45% cheaper. I informed it to dealer and learned that the only thing I’d lose is cashless facility across the India in all Ford ASS. But dealer also showed readiness to arrange outside insurance, which was 40% cheaper and benefit of cashless facility only at Moharir Ford! Strange. I found the second option more practical and went ahead for outside insurance arranged by dealer. Saving Rs. 12,000/-.
Final price of the car is Rs. 7,45,000/-. So, if you consider the price as on 9th August 2016 viz. 8,81,000/- as a reference, the total saving was whooping Rs. 1,36,000/- viz. 15%.

Loan processing: The dealer offered the loan facility from several financial institutes. The lowest interest rate is claimed by Ford finance viz. 9.5%, but they offer loan on ex-showroom price and repayment period of upto 5 years. Same is the case with other private financial institutes although their interest rates are higher. The nationalized banks offer loan on on-road price of the car, repayment period is upto 7 years and interest rates are around 9.8%. The dealer insisted me to go for SBI car loan, to which I had an apprehension due to SBI’s way of working, which I learned from my personal experiences and horrible stories. However, to my surprise the dealer processed the loan smoothly. Moreover, SBI offered zero processing fees due to festive season. The lines from Paulo Coelho’s ‘The Alchemist’ came to my mind – The entire universe is conspiring to fulfil my dream! The delivery was scheduled on the auspicious day of Dussera viz. 11th October 2016. My family had seen all the colours of Figo in flesh on the day of booking viz. 5th September 2016, Teachers’ day as well as Ganesh Chaturthi and unanimously it was ‘Ingot Silver’.

D-day: Received a call from dealer couple days before the D-day confirming the time of 1 PM for the delivery. As soon as we arrived in dealership, the sales person who was in contact with me since the TD, welcomed us. First he explained the documentation part in detail. Then we headed to the car. The accessories fitted were shown to me. The car keys were handed over to me in ceremonial fashion. Felt nice and special. Then he explained the car once again in detail. We left super excited. The entire TD to delivery experience at Mohrir Ford, Nashik deserves a full 5 star rating.
Name:  IMG_9953.JPG
Views: 2868
Size:  126.4 KB

The car headed to home straightaway for a mandatory pooja.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-14680620_1310086369003666_2187009374290153272_n.jpg

Tire change
Then it headed to my usual tire shop for a tire change. Yes, those people who are reading about Figo recently might be aware that the OEM rubber (MRF ZV2K, stock size 175/65R14) has complaints.
1. Poor grip
2. Lot of noise
3. Very hard sidewall
4. Smaller diameter of 14”
5. Smaller width of 175 mm
I am not in favour of 15” diameter as it may results in lower aspect ratio and it may hamper the ride quality. I don’t want to lose that supple edge. I wanted to go for 195 mm width for a car producing 100 PS of power, but Ford ASS discouraged me as it violates the warranty. So, I decided to go for stock size but better quality rubber. I considered Continental Comfort Contact, Pirelli P7, Yokohama S-drive and Michelin Energy XM2. As I have changed the car, I decided to be a constant with my previous tire viz. Michelin, to judge the car fairly. My all Sparks in my family are fitted with different tires – Michelin Energy XM1+, Michelin Energy XM2, Continental Comfort Contact and Yokohama A-drive. Michelin Energy XM1+, Yokohama A-drive and Michelin Energy XM2 are found to be very good tires on grip, handling, comfort, life and puncture resistance front in ascending order. Not happy with Continental. Although it was good on grip, handling and comfort fronts, on one of the bad sections of the usual road the front left and rear left, both the tires suffered from side wall cut, at the same time. Usually on that section of road, in the Sparks equipped with Michelins and Yokos we didn’t even slow down. Expected a lot from the German brand, but disappointed. This incident took place around 3 years back. Conti is in the contention once again as I found that Conti has worked on the side wall issue. They have more number of plies in side wall now and thicker rubber, but that has made it stiffer than Michelins. With Michelins, I have crashed badly into potholes few times expecting either a tire cut (as in older thin walled Conti) or rim bend (as in stiff walled MRFs, JKs), but observed nothing. So, I must say Michelin has woven some magic into it and call it IronFlex technology. So for me its Michelin Energy XM2 hands down. I exchanged four tires which cost me Rs. 8400/- in total. It’s worth spending on Day 1 than any other fancy accessory or number plate.

Ownership Review:

Disclaimer: I am assuming that the reader has already gone through the official review of Ford Figo on TeamBHP. The ownership review mentions my observations, experiences and feelings.

The first few hundreds of miles were like a test batsman making his debut at Lords. Just soaking in the feeling and not at all realizing what is happening with him, completely overwhelmed. Then we started communicating. Now it has clocked ~5000 km which includes,
My daily commute of 44 km, including 30 km + 14 km of city + highway usage respectively.
A 700 km trip to Selu, Dist. Parbhani, Maharashtra consisting of 2 lane and 4 lane roads.
A 300 km trip to Mumbai consisting of a 4 lane highway and winding Kasara Ghat.
A 550 km trip to Pune via expressway.
A 900 km trip to Beed-Tulajapur consisting of 2 lane and 4 lane roads and some bad sections.
A 150 km trip to Dawaleshwar near Nashik consisting of narrow winding roads.

Build quality, exterior, fit-finish: Build quality is not as bad as some of the reviews suggest. Polo, Punto and old Figo are better, but if you factor that it weighs 1048 kg which is lighter by around 100-150 kg than above three cars, the build quality is excellent than any other car in the segment. The perceived build quality which is judged by the operation of doors, bonnet, tail gate is strong. A brisk drive over a poorly paved section of road indicates that the car is strong and will not develop squeaks and rattle soon. Moreover the relatively lighter build results in fantastic acceleration and FE figures. I have a theory, to resist aqua-planning, cross winds etc. the car weight should be above 1000 kg. Only time will tell whether it remains durable or not.
As far as looks are concerned it is a good looking car but may not grab attention or may not demand another glance. It is better than old Figo but not as fluidic or flamboyant as i20 or Baleno. It looks best from front three quarter angle. The best looking element is the Aston Martin-esque grille, which I believe looks like Mustang sans sleekness and sharpness. The side profile is neat and proportionate. The 14” wheel doesn’t look as undersized as in Aspire. The rear is bland but not ugly. The alloy wheel design is simple and unexciting. Overall it’s a good looking hatchback.
The fit and finish of the car is good and nothing to complaint about apart from large panel gaps around tail-gate. The paint quality is impressive as the car brushed against some bushes along the roadside few times but no scratches were found. Inside, only the panel gap between front door and dashboard is large. The finish of all the interiors is dull but acceptable. VW and Hyundai are too good on this front. Overall the car is well put together.

Interior, Space: First thing I realized is the low slung flat dashboard offers fantastic visibility. All black theme looks sporty. But the interiors are neither as elegant as a VW nor as good looking as a Hyundai, although they are well laid out and not short on functionality. The material quality is just acceptable, but it is well put together. It will not develop rattles easily but just loses on that ‘Wow’ factor. Cooled glove-box, dead clutch pedal are the features felt missing.
Figo earns the lost ground in the space. Even if I adjust driving seat to my position, lot of legroom and knee-room available even for tall passengers on rear seat. Seats are comfortable and supportive. Especially cars in these segments and below this segment offer poor thigh support, but that isn’t the case. It could have done with better lower back support. I don’t like the door-side armrests design, which is rising at the front. IMO it’s not ergonomically correct design, although many cars feature it. Everything else is spot on ergonomically. The only ergonomic problem in previous Figo was the bonnet release lever was on co-driver side. Now it’s on driver’s side. With seat height adjust and steering rake adjust, it is easy to achieve comfortable driving position. The steering reach adjust would have made it even more comfortable. 9 bottle holders around the front seat are ridiculously practical. Three persons with average build are fine in back seat; three persons with above average build is a squeeze. Ford can scoop out door trims as well to improve on this aspect. But mounting the speakers and power window motor might have prevented scooping out business. Even rear seat was found comfortable by my family. It has very good thigh support and no 'knees-up' position. Two of my regular co-traveller who sits in the front and the back seat are 6” tall and they haven’t complained about the space, so it is safe to comment that there are no legroom, knee room, shoulder room and head room issues. The gear lever console is asymmetric. The driver’s foot well is well designed, but it intrudes in co-driver’s foot well. The co-driver’s right side knee keeps on touching the console and he/she cannot use the wonderful thigh and side support provided by the seats. The IRVM has poor visibility which can be attributed to smaller rear glass, but ORVM suffice the purpose. The 248 litres of boot is average in size. One has to pack light during travels and should be disciplined in that sense. The glass area is large and there is no hemmed in feeling.

Powertrain (Engine + Transmission): It’s a bomb. It is a 1.5 L, 4 cylinder, Turbocharged, CRDI engine with power output 100 PS @ 3750 RPM and torque output 215 N-m @ 1750-3000 RPM. It has excellent power-to-weight and torque-to-weight ratio, probably the best in the class. The acceleration and FE figures reported by some Auto magazines and web portals are incredible for a car of this budget. Among manual transmission cars only Polo GT TDI, Renault Duster 110 PS and Audi Q3 exhibit similar acceleration figures. That says something! I had decided not to rev the engine beyond 2000 RPM in first 1500 km. But anyway you don’t have to rev beyond 2000 RPM unless you are in hurry. The engine is quite tractable even below 2000 RPM and turbo lag is felt only below 1200 RPM. Engine running at 2000 RPM in 5th gear propels the car to a good cruising speed on our roads. The car responds to throttle inputs immediately and propels ahead with purpose if the engine is above 1200 RPM and 5th gear can be engaged at as low as 50 kmph. I have driven few engines with a lot of power on paper, but there is disconnect between a throttle input and engine response e.g. Honda’s 1.5 Ltr EarthDream. May be the electronics is overkilling the response to achieve good FE. In Figo, after encountering a speed breaker at a crawling speed one can pick up effortlessly in 2nd gear, off course with half clutch, which is hard to achieve in turbo engines. The engine is not very rev-happy as compared to VW group of diesel engines. This engine feels gruff after 3500 RPM, but not annoying. Engine noise is felt inside cabin only while accelerating hard. Moreover it is a very good NVH package as the cabin is silent and shields the engine noise, wind noise and road noise (helped by Michelins!) very well. The ABC pedal and gear shift feels are good and progressive. I think the clutch pedal lever is sharply arced back, as my toe touches it when fully pressed; my shoe size is 9 for reference. Also, there is no dead pedal and the space between clutch pedal and central console is tight to extend the foot through. The gearshift is short and requires strong shove, although it is smooth, precise and positive. The upshift indicator is good information to drive efficiently. It suggests to upshift at around 1700-1800 RPM. I kept on refuelling car at the same fuel station, and drove on the same route with slight detour which is a mix of city and highway drive. The initial FE reported is 15, 17, 21, 22 kmpl. The FE returned on my highway trip is 23-24 kmpl. It is safe to assume FE of 21-23 kmpl in real world conditions, which is fantastic. Ford’s User Manual is a good document to read. There are two manuals. One is the detailed one and the other one is a ready reckoner type for frequently used functions. It is well organised. The contents will be appreciated by novice and purists as well. Now a days very few manuals mention the break-in period. Ford mentions 1500 km as a break-in period and not to calculate the FE before that. It also mentions that there can be fluctuations even from 1500-3000 km. So, it is best to judge the performance from 3000 km onwards. The manual also mentions the care to be taken for Turbo Diesel engines, which is in line with ‘Idling rules’ article on TeamBHP. The only problem suffered by me is, when I launch the car in first gear, it moves forward without hesitation initially and then it holds itself back as if there is a flat spot. In no other gear it is felt. Perhaps the first gear ratio is very short. I didn’t experience it in TD car either. I am hoping to rectify it in first service. Also I am not comfortable with the speed with which the car moves at zero throttle (LIG: Low Idle Governing) in city. But that is a part and parcel of diesel car. Overall the flexibility and punch of the engine makes it fantastic for city as well as highway driving. If there is one good reason to buy this car, then this is it – The engine!

Dynamics (Suspension, Ride-Handling, Steering, GC, Brakes): My reference is Spark. Figo is stiffer than Spark, rather taut, I must say. It is going to take some time for me to get the best out of it. In bad sections of road it asks me to throw car at a faster speeds and then the dynamics shine. The typical speed breakers in set of three are tackled easily. At slower speed the undulations are felt more. I still have a mental block to drive the car faster on bad sections of road. The steering wheel is chunky and has a useful thumb-rest at 10 and 2 o’clock positions. I haven’t felt the need to put the cover onto it. The horn pad is always within the reach. The EPS is accurate and communicative, definitely better than Baleno and Polo. The self-centring action of the steering is precise and feels natural. I never felt the need of hydraulic power steering unit, it is that good. The tight turning radius helps a lot as I have to do 3 point u-turns rarely. In one of the reviews, the fastest Indian, Narain Karthikeyan praised the dynamics of Figo a lot and mentions that it has a slight over-steer in it. I experienced it when I threw it neatly in corner at decent speed few times; it took the corner with ease without any drama. It has that nice feeling of road straightening ahead of you. It even accommodates the slight errors on part of driver, such as, late to steer in the corner and maintains the line faithfully. The weight distribution was found to be perfect, as on one occasion I was cornering at a good pace and braked hard to tackle a badly located speed breaker, the Figo responded in sublime fashion, no drama, no roll and no nervousness. The driver, the car and the drive easily becomes one homogenous unit. At cruising speeds Figo was rock steady. It is a great cruising tool. It has a great ability to mask the speed. It doesn’t handle as sharp as older Figo, but if one is neat with steering inputs it rewards delightfully. As far as ride quality is concerned, I found it pliant and flat on almost all surfaces. Only deterrent is the stiffness felt at low speed. For ground clearance, I have a theory, the ratio of ground clearance to wheelbase should be more than 0.07. For Figo the ratio is 0.0698, acceptable. I scraped it once (it was a kind of feather touch actually) on a pathetically designed monster speed breaker which could be tackled only by SUVs, CVs and tractors! There is a plastic lip below front bonnet, which touches the quite a few times giving a wrong impression of low ground clearance. The suspension setup is soft front and hard rear, same as that of Spark. No unnecessary bobbing and pitching is observed with this setup. Also, this setup works best when the car is loaded. Brakes are more than adequate. They have very good stopping power for this fast machine and pedal feel was progressive, thus easy to modulate. ABS didn't kick in unnecessarily and seems to be well calibrated. I had one 'ABS' moment and I think it worked fine. Michelins are doing fantastic job as far as grip is concerned, never felt the need of broader rubber as of now, except it squealed twice in Kasara ghat. Overall, it is possibly the best ride-handling combination available. With the cracker of an engine and obedient behaviour, it is easy to get in the ‘Meditation Zone’.

NVH: Road noise is very well contained, thanks to the cladding inside all wheel wells, not found in this segment. The door has full rubber beading and additional beading at the top resulting in excellent wind noise protection. Very minor vibrations are felt at dashboard. Overall refinement is very good apart from engine noise during hard acceleration.

Equipments: There are lot of them. I will mention those which I found useful. The phone dock is a nice and smart facility. It also covers those ugly USB and AUX ports. The climate control is very intuitive to use. The blower speed has 7 steps, it adds precision. The ‘Max AC’ function chills the car within 2 minutes. Although it is very effective, It will be tested in coming summer. It starts and stops gradually, which feels upmarket. The MID is not fancy as that of in Baleno but informative and displays Odometer, Tripmeter, Distance to empty, Average km/l, real time km/l, Average km/hr, Outside air temperature and Economy mode on/off information. The Average km/l figure indicated by MID is accurate as I verified it by my own hand calculation. The ICE system is very good in terms of clarity and thump. It will keep most of the people more than happy. Pairing the phone over Bluetooth is easy. Upto 10 devices can be paired and one device can be set as primary one. Bluetooth connectivity is fine, sometimes the connectivity is lost on engine restart. As there is no touchscreen, using phone features through ICE is complicated. Steering mounted control works well in all modes – Blutooth, USB, AUX, Phone etc.

Family’s review: The car looks stylish. Space is fantastic. Noise is surprisingly low for a diesel car. The car is comfortable and has extra ordinary ability to mask the speed and mile munching. The car is devoid of any claustrophobia and sickness associated with it, which is quite pronounced in VW Polo. Sound quality of the music player is fantastic. They wish the ride could have been softer, as now I am more aggressive in corners and they feel like thrown around, so the problem might be with driving and not with the car!

1st servicing: The first free servicing was due after 2500 km / 3 months; the former was achieved earlier for obvious reasons. I booked an appointment on phone. I received a reminder call a day before the appointment. The caller also suggested to choose convenient ASS as there are two in Nashik. On the day of servicing, the car was thoroughly examined and taken for servicing. Delivery was promised within 90 minutes. The waiting lounge offered good hospitality in terms of tea, coffee, TV, lot of magazines, part showcases etc. Although, the car was delivered in 150 minutes, it was a good experience and the efforts to improve the service were quite evident. The staff was very courteous. Received one more call for feedback.
Parts replaced: None.
Servicing cost: None.

Some pictorial details follow.

A hidden cubbyhole behind the driver side door. Also note the neat integration of headlamp on/off, headlamp level, front/rear fog lamp on/off and boot lid switch.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3843.jpg

The ORVM is narrower at the bottom, but no visibility issue experienced as such. But they don't fold automatically after locking the doors.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3844.jpg

The phone dock is an innovative and useful feature. It accommodates phones upto 5.5" screen and doesn't obstruct visibility of road.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3848.jpg

Door mat has two holes, which gets inserted in a projection on floor carpet to avoid forward motion while operating ABC pedals. Indirect safety feature.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3850.jpg

Armrest is rising forward. Not ergonomically suitable IMO.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3855.jpg

Factory fitted mud flap may not suffice the purpose.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3857.jpg

Parcel tray hinge is molded one. It gets dislodged easily. Hoping to have less breakage than regular plastic hinge.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3858.jpg

Good illumination by boot lamp. Also note the useful bag hook.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3859.jpg

Boot lid has a recess to pull it down. Also note the plastic around boot lid latch mechanism, effort to reduce any rattling sound is appreciable.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3861.jpg

The central console is asymmetric. It touches the right leg of co-driver. The climate control is easy and intuitive to use. The controls and performance feels premium. The 'Max AC' and 'Max Heater' are useful and effective features. Also, note a small rubberized shelf to keep mobile, cards etc. Apart from asymmetry, it is brilliantly designed console.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3864.jpg

The most frequently used portion of the steering wheel has nicely contoured thumb rest and meaty grip. I would have liked more grip on top and bottom side of steering wheel. The reach to the horn pad is fine. The left hand side stalk is dedicated to wiper function. Note the knob for the control of interval between two wipes for intermittent mode.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3865.jpg

The central console has a lot of storage spaces.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3869.jpg

The seats are nicely contoured and very supportive. Especially I liked the long squab providing good thigh support. I have chosen vinyl covers for easy maintenance. I feel the black colour with red piping and stitching looks racy and goes well with the character of the car.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3870.jpg

There is a recess to insert the seat belt when not in use. Neat.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3874.jpg

The top of the door has double rubber beading. No wonder the car is silent at high speed. Very little wind noise.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3877.jpg

Another measure to reduce the road noise - wheel cladding inside all wheel wells, not found in this segment.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3908.jpg

Tire inflation placard is on driver side door frame. I found it a bit confusing to find the right tire pressure. Also note the other variant of tire 195/55R15 which is not available in India but sold in European Ford Figo. Practically using oversize tire of this specification should not void the warranty, but Ford ASS think otherwise!
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3878.jpg

I was told that, Ford make their own batteries. Comments from experience owners required.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3880.jpg

In engine bay, only ill fitted part is the hose from engine blow by to air intake. It has several kinks in it. Not good.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3882.jpg

There is a prominent lip below front bumper. Sometimes it scrapes on inclines giving false impression of low ground clearance.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3884.jpg

Titanium and Titanium+ has side blinkers in ORVMs. Other variants have them in triangular shape on fenders. Titanium and Titanium+ mask these triangles neatly by a chrome triangle.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3879.jpg

Some images of the exteriors.
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3888.jpg
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3896.jpg
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3901.jpg
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3902.jpg
New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!-dsc_3906.jpg

I will keep posting further updates.

Last edited by swapnil.awate : 16th January 2017 at 23:39. Reason: 1. List of likes and dislikes added. 2. More unbiased details added.
swapnil.awate is offline   (26) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016, 10:04   #2
BHPian

Default Re: New meditation tool - Ford Figo TDCi Titanium!

Congratulations Swapnil!!!

I am sure you would like the Figo TDCi even more as it munches miles!
I agree with your observations esp. the ones related to dynamics, suspension, short first gear ratio etc.

Wish you loads of happy miles
espraveen is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016, 17:37   #3

Thanks espraveen.
I came across your report couple of days ago. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. That's a lot of mile crunching by you. Keep it up. Actually I realised that the shorter first gear ratio could also be the reason from your review only.
swapnil.awate is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2016, 19:43   #4
BHPian

Hey,

Congrats on the fast diesel! I, for one think that this is a very underrated car and you made a good decision. Agreed, it's not as sharp as the previous gen or as feature rich as some of the others in the segment, but the package as a whole is hard to beat. The same can't be said about the petrol though.

Quote:
Summary: It’s a rare combination of practical, fun to drive and affordable car.
Below are some of the photos clicked during Diwali.
Totally agreed. We need more cars like these.

Keep updating the thread as the baby Ford munches more miles. Trust me, Fords become lovelier by the day.

Keep revvin,
Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 6th November 2016 at 19:46.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 10:12   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 17:23   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hi Swapnil,

Congratulations on your new acquisition. That's a nice review covering all the areas that are important. Good to know you upgraded the tyres immediately. The car looks and feels under-tyred with the stock rubber.

The Figo TDCi is quite a pocket rocket and good-looking too. It's probably my favourite hatchback on sale though I do feel the build is not quite as strong as the old Figo or Polo. I also feel Ford has made the car a little less sharp in handling compared to its older models.

Wish you many miles of happy motoring.
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote