Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th December 2016, 15:49   #1
BHPian

Default My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories

A CHILDHOOD DREAM. The dream to own an SUV came true in March this year. The dream came true by bringing home a new member to our family - The new age XUV5OO W10. We named the beast HUNTER.

Showering love on the newly acquired priceless beauty.
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_3181-copy.jpg

Background: The passion in me for cars (especially big muscular SUVs) is as old as I am. The desire to own one was growing stronger day by day. I still remember when I was in school, the last few pages of all my books were filled with drawings of the cars I liked. The obvious choice since then was the Tata Safari.
This is what I always wanted. The Brute force - Safari Dicor:
Name:  301921_279349168769093_277660897_n  Copy.jpg
Views: 3246
Size:  100.8 KB

Fast forward to 2009 when I joined forces, I wanted to buy the Safari. But due to some commitments at home, the car was delayed time and again. Then I thought of getting a bike and the choice was obvious - Bullet standard 350 (which I think is mandatory for every Punjabi Jatt).

Royal Enfield 350 Standard BULLET 2010:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-313840_264198330284177_920879596_n-copy.jpg

Come Feb 2014, I got married and bought my first car, a pre-owned 2009 Hyundai Getz in October 2014. The primary reason to buy pre-owned car was to teach my wife how to drive a car. The small Getz was a perfect hatchback for her to learn driving. She later on took me to places starting from Coorg, Wayanad, Ooty and Mysore.

With my first car - Hyundai Getz 2006 model- on the way to Mysore:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-20150613_080619-copy.jpg

Life was going very smooth. I had a car and I had set up my whole house. In November, along with my friends we planned a trip to Chickmanaglur in my friend's XUV500. That trip actually changed everything. The long awaited dream of owning an SUV again popped up in my mind after this trip. It was 275 km one way and we all were so fresh even after a 7 hour long drive. The comfort level in the car was very good and the features list was on par with a Rs. 40 lakh car. The cherry on top was my friend; he explained each and every feature in detail to my wife. After the trip, my wife was so impressed that she said “Our next car should be the XUV5OO”. It was then that I started following the thread in detail. Here I would like to thank the members and moderators of this forum who have helped me with all their ownership reviews and official reviews. Also I would like to specially thank SDP, .anshuman, Ravi and dhanush for the extensive ownership reviews of their cars which have helped me a lot to take the decision.

Now I present the HUNTER – my very own XUV500 W10. Since this is my first write-up, kindly bear the mistakes and correct me if I am wrong.

First Glimpse of the Beast
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_3136-copy.jpg

My First Test drive of XUV5OO: The first test drive of XUV dates back to 2012 August. I was doing my MS in NIT Trichy, I was then in quest of a good reliable alternative for my childhood dream – the Safari 2.2 Dicor. At that time the launch of Safari Storme was delayed, Dicor was getting too old and a new kid in town gaining a lot of pat on the back was this XUV. I thought why not to give her a try, and so I landed in the showroom of Mahindra in Trichy. I saw the Scorpio and XUV standing proudly. I quickly filled up the paperwork and got behind the wheel of Scorpio first as the XUV was already out for a test drive. I quickly completed a short drive in the Scorpio as my interest was in XUV. I took the car out for around 15 km. First impressions when I got behind the wheel was the lack of head space for the front seats. To my ignorance the seat was set fully upwards as it had height adjustment. It was the first time in my life that I experienced the cruise control feature. The drive and refinement levels, comfort levels were very good and the features list was endless. But still in back of my mind I had an inclination towards the yet to be launched Safari Storme which is why I decided to wait.

Launch of Safari Storme and my dilemma: The Storme launched in October 2012. Again, I landed in the Tata showroom to have a look at it and to get a test drive. With the first look at it in flesh, my joy and excitement went down the drain. My first reaction was - where the hell is the spare wheel! The sales person kept telling me about its features, but I became deaf with the shock Safari had given me. Then I took her for a test drive and then things got interesting. No doubt the Storme was miles ahead of the Dicor in handling, but the overall aesthetics were poor. Even on the inside, features were very minimalistic. I was totally disappointed and now the dilemma started - whether to go with Dicor or to search for a new option.

Evaluation of available alternatives: After the sour experience with Safari Storme, I kept seeing videos of the test drives and initial experiences which could alter my decision, but all in vain. No offence to Storme owners, I do like the comfort level of the Storme, but it just didn’t click as the Dicor used to. Then I got engaged in my studies and completed my MS from NIT Trichy in 2014. Got married and bought my first car Getz (pre-owned). I always wanted an SUV, so the hunt again started and following options were considered:

1. Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano: A very refined car and extremely comfortable compared to all crossovers in that segment. But missing features as compared to the competition was not acceptable. Also I felt that price is on the higher side compared to other crossovers in the segment.

2. Toyota Innova: Undoubtedly the king of the road when it comes to reliability and being driven around anywhere. This was an obvious choice for these reasons -
• Reliable engine.
• Captain seats on second row.
• Enough Luggage space even if there are 6 people in the car.
But MUV looks turn me off, despite the peace of mind it offers. But, it is overpriced compared to other MUVs in that segment. It has an old engine (say > 10 years old 2.5 Litre, still reliable). As a passenger, the experience is almost unparalleled but as a driver, it isn't that great.
• The tall gear stick and vibrations gave me the feel of a truck!
• More popular in the taxi segment than personal front.
• The top variant is super costly compared to other rivals.
This was the worthy buy, but I turned it down mostly for the psychological reasons of Taxi branding and driver comfort than anything else.

3. Mahindra Rexton:I was very much impressed by the car and so decided to do a test drive. I got an automatic version for the test drive. The serviceability and availability of spares was posed as a hindrance to me. Because of all this, decided to drop it from the list.

4. Mahindra Scorpio: A thought came in my mind to test drive the Scorpio, as a newer version was available and no doubt it looked butch and handsome. But the car’s interiors came out very short of expectations. There was a big NO from my wife for the car as it was extensively used by mafia and goons.

I did not check the Storme as it was already turned down. Then one day I saw my boss in his XUV W4. The car looked very good and newer version had made the XUV look more mature and grown up and upmarket. Car was decided and then next question popped up - which variant will it be. This was the million dollar question. I wanted W6 as it had all the features which I thought were necessary. But the home ministry wanted top-end model which was way out of my budget which was already stretched for W6. After a month long discussion and negotiations, I surrendered and decision was made for W10 FWD. I was very happy that we both unanimously agreed for the Dolphin Grey colour. XUV5OO is the complete package that fits my requirements. I liked the XUV500 for reasons below -
• The fully loaded top-end variant does not leave me craving for any accessory that would need serious modification
• Extra Seating or space for 5 plus luggage was good enough
• Engine option combined with safety package was an instant win
• The new facelift version was loaded with even more gizmos than the older one. The convenience and fancy of sun roof, state of the art infotainment was too hard to resist

The most appealing fact of the matter was - It's actually a desi SUV! Something made me feel patriotic. I know it sounds stupid, but that appealed me. The test drive was very good. I had the feel of steering a rocket after 1500 rpm and that was all that made the positive impression. Apart from all the likes I am going to write in subsequent posts, the "YES" from wife was helpful to seal the deal! So, the decision was made.

Buying Process:As the model and colour was final, I called up Chennai Mahindra dealer for CSD prices and asked for the price of W10. They quoted Rs. 13, 23,740/- for Ex CSD Chennai. I was happy that I was getting the car cheaper by around 2.75 lakhs. I wanted to register the car in Himachal and for that I needed the car on temporary registration. Dealer denied and insisted to get the Chennai registration which would cost five folds as compared to 48k in Shimla. As the dealer didn’t agree for temporary registration, I was forced to look for other options. I contacted Punjab Automobiles in Ahmedabad and got the quote from them. Fortunately they agreed for the temporary registration. With quote in my hand, I started arranging for the down payment. I applied for a car loan from HDFC bank in Kannur where I have a premium account and I am a preferred customer. After delaying the process for 14 days and asking for hell a lot of documents they refused to disburse the account saying- “Sir we can only give loan for cars which will be registered in Kerala”. I was furious about what special services as preferred customer are for! I tried loan from ICICI and Axis but all in vain. As I was not getting car loan and it was already February end, I thought to delay the car for six months till the festive season as my Getz was running fine.

Then came the Budget with decision of tax revision and rule of 1% TCS. It meant the W10 will eventually become 80k costlier. Me and my wife thought that as we have to change the car anyway, why not buy now and save money. I asked for the availability of W10 grey colour at Punjab automobiles in Ahmedabad, the salesman said – “Sir we will be giving cars at old rates till 20th March post which cars will come at revised rates” and it was already 11th March. My wife said to try for loan from SBI in which I had an account for last 8 years. With almost no hope I met the manager to give it a try and surprisingly my car loan for Rs. 11.6 lakh was passed in two days. It was 14th March when I met the branch manager and applied for the loan, my loan was passed on 15th but branch manager said the disbursement will take 2 more days. The branch manager assured me that he will do the online transfer in CSD account by 17th. Trusting the manager and my luck, I sold my Getz on 15th - booked the tickets to Ahmedabad for 17th and was off to get my new family member.

D Day: We both reached Ahmedabad on 18th morning and after getting all the formalities done at CSD depot, we had the purchase order in our hand at 12 noon. We headed straight to the dealer thinking that car will be ready in all respects. But struggle was far from over, to our surprise the car was not even brought from the yard to showroom. They made us sit in lounge and we were asked to wait. While the paperwork was going on, I asked for the PDI which they rudely said NO as the car was already allotted in my name. Upon insisting to see the car they brought the car and it was full of dust. I had specifically asked to Bridgestone Duellers but to my shock it was Apollo Apterras. After 3 hours of heated discussion and arguments, the manager agreed to change to Duellers. I bought following accessories from the showroom:-
1. Rain visors - 2250/-
2. Rear bull bar - 4500/-
3. Side steps - 11500/-
4. Side door moulding - 2250/-
5. Car cover - 2250/-
6. Foot mats - 2250/-

There were no discounts and no offers available as on the same day I saw 9 XUVs getting delivered. But as we purchased all accessories they agreed for Teflon and under body coating as complimentary gifts.

Delivery Process: I will rate Punjab Automobiles as very pathetic and very unprofessional in their work. The experience was much below the acceptance level. Despite being told about the specifics, neither the vehicle was ready nor was the paper work done. They did not even let me do the PDI and delivered the vehicle in dark night at 2100 hours without any ceremony. When I asked about some defects in the car while taking the keys, I was told that, "what else can you expect from an Indian manufacturer?" But real shock was still pending, in my first service I got to know that neither the promised Teflon coating nor the under body anti-rust coating was done. I felt cheated by the dealer.

Me and My sweetheart taking the delivery:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_3148-copy.jpg

Extended warranties & service packages: I have not opted for the extended warranties. I have full confidence on the quality of the Indian manufacturer and the confidence has grown stronger by the way M&M has corrected itself since 2012 and first iteration of XUV500. Moreover, the three years warranty which comes as standard is good enough for me as of today. The decision of an extended one will be taken after 2 years of ownership.

Initial Impressions and First drive: The car till now has clocked 6000 km. Initial ride of 1640 km was from Ahmedabad to Payyanur in Kerala on the very next day of taking delivery. The mHawk 140, direct injection, 5th generation Variable Geometry Turbo charger (VGT) diesel engine has been a gem to drive with 140 horses doing the duty. The best part about this engine is the ability to cleanly pull from 1300 rpm without any fuss till 4000 rpm. This way it is very easy to drive in the city and a boon to drive on highways.

Ride: The ride is a bit stiff, may be to compensate for handling. It is a bit difficult to ride on uneven roads as you keep jumping at slow speeds. On the other side, highway drives are the best; it cruises all the way to triple digits without any problems. The best feature is its ability to cruise in gears without any throttle input, but it's very scary at times during the bumper to bumper traffic.

Brakes: Brakes in this new model are super sharp and they give you the confidence at high speeds. I haven't faced any issues from day one.

Safety: The car is equipped with 6 airbags, ABS, EBD, Hill Decent Control, Hill Hold control and ESP. This car is one of the safest car available with so many features at this price and offers every bang for your buck.

ICE: This is the area where XUV lacks. The ICE is not at all impressive. But the Bluetooth connectivity and message read out feature comes very handy while driving. The Bluetooth can pair up to 5 devices with ease.

Cruise Control: This is the best feature of the car. It encourages you to keep on driving. I tested it the very next day on Ahmedabad – Baroda expressway and it works like a charm. It reduces fatigue on your marathon runs and you can drive this beast all day long. I feel if this is updated to Adaptive Cruise Control – there would be nothing like that.

Air Conditioner: The AC is very impressive and cools the cabin very fast. I generally keep the temperature at 25 degrees. The rear AC helps the car to cool down in quick time even on a hot sunny day.

Fuel Efficiency: Over the marathon run of my maiden drive from Ahmedabad it gave me a mileage of 15.7 km/l with 100% AC. The car generally gives 13 km/l in the city and 16 -16.3 km/l on the highway, which is very impressive for the 2.2 litre engine.

Build Quality: This car feels like it’s been built to last. The doors are heavy and close with a solid “thud”, the paint quality is top notch and one look at the engine bay tells you that it’s a very well sorted out design and layout, especially the mHawk140 engine which greets you as soon as you pop up the hood. The bonnet is quite heavy but pneumatic struts help in lifting the bonnet. The steering is great to hold and is probably one of the best in this segment. The interior panels are well put together; however I would have liked it more, if they would have used single textured material on the dashboard. The quality of the buttons and stalks is good and they don't feel tacky. The black and beige interiors look nice and classy, but it is a pain to maintain the beige. I didn't find any niggles with fit & finish either. The panel gaps are uniform except some faults here and there and interiors are well put together and firmly put in place. I have driven the vehicle over some bad patches of roads and the vehicle has held up well. Though I haven’t observed any exaggerated rattling or funny noises in the vehicle, the middle seat rattles sometime. Overall - It’s quite impressive.

Ergonomics: The car scores well on this front. The seats are extremely comfortable and I liked the tall driving position that the vehicle offers. Electronic height adjustable driver seat, center armrest and the steering which is adjustable for rake / reach add to the driver’s convenience. The presence of a dead pedal is very convenient, but could have been a bit wider. Clutch is reasonably light, steering is responsive and sound insulation is good. NVH levels are quite acceptable and cabin is a good place to be in. Controls are easy to reach and use. Positioning of the USB slot, Aux slot and 12V charging point on all three rows is an added advantage. I found all of them convenient to reach and use. The turning radius is on the higher side. The rear middle seat head rest and the relatively small rear glass window limit the rear visibility. But the ample side wing mirrors along with reverse camera with adaptive guidelines come to the rescue and offer decent rear visibility.

Space: Space is enormous inside the XUV. The rear seat is best suited for two adults and a kid (that’s the way my car is often occupied). Space on the third row seats is just good for kids. The boot is huge if used as 5 seats, the moment 7 seats come up-boot vanishes. 60:40 split does add to the versatility and can be used to carry some serious luggage if there is a need.

Drive: The engine is frugal and very peppy. It is very quick and fast enough to keep the driver involved and interested. Till date I haven’t felt any reason to complain with the vehicle’s highway performance. The steering is light at city driving speeds. Clutch is light and easy to operate (though the travel is long) while the gear shifts are reasonably slick. The car pulls cleanly in 2nd gear from near dead positions and doesn’t need too many gear shifts in city traffic. But the car doesn’t give you time to recover if speed becomes too low or in wrong gear, the engine just shuts off with a ‘thug’. The car rolls on effortlessly without any input from the accelerator. It’s an awesome vehicle to drive on the highways. Overtaking is generally effortless and I seldom have to shift down to make a move. The engine feels eager and doesn't mind being revved. The suspension is a little stiff and big potholes can be felt inside the cabin, but this improves at higher speeds. Cornering is quite confident, thanks to the relatively stiff suspension but there is some body roll because of the tall design of the vehicle. Disc brakes at front and the rear do the duties for braking. Braking response is good and provides precise feedback. The ABS kicks in effectively during hard braking and keeps things under control.

Safety & related equipment: W10 comes with six airbags, ESP, EBD, HDC and Hill assist as standard. After driving for 6,500 km, I have a very secured and safe feeling inside my Hunter.

Styling & design: New headlamps are better looking with LED pilot lamps which I feel would have been given as DRLs. The stock low beam has very less throw:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172142.jpg

I feel that the face has matured and it is much better looking than the previous version – Cheetah inspired which was meaner. The front grille with thin black slits and chrome inserts is very stylish.

Now let the photos do all the talking: -

The third row middle headrest hampers back view:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172604.jpg

Spare wheel is a steel wheel. I miss the alloy offered in previous gen XUV:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172540.jpg

The OVRM offers a very good view of the sides and back. They are really big and also electrically foldable, which comes in very handy while navigating through tight streets and narrow parking spaces:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172501.jpg

Ground clearance is enough to navigate through rough patches on our Indian roads but obviously not good enough for off-roading:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172420.jpg

Padding under the hood is very good and also helps in reducing the engine noise. I wonder the engine noise would have been very crude and high (like the Bolero) if this padding was not present:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172233.jpg

The engine layout is very nice and mHawk 140 badge looks good. The important points are coloured yellow for easy access and identification. The pneumatic struts on both side helps in lifting otherwise a heavy bonnet:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172223.jpg

I am still not able to understand why this wiper does not go down fully. Come on M&M it's not too difficult. The wiper is easily visible from cabin which is an eyesore to otherwise good view from the cockpit:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172156.jpg

Headlight cluster is very neatly done and S shaped light guides give it a premium feel and look. But the DRL is missed:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161223_172142.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1588075

I love the design of these 10 spoke alloy wheels, they look very handsome. But it’s a pain to clean them:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172130.jpg

Huge doors give a good feel of security. But it's no way close to German rivals. Puddle lamp light up bright in night:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172118.jpg

Door switches are ergonomically well placed and look good. But the door opening handle is very flimsy and I think it will be the first one to go bad:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172107.jpg

Well-spaced ABC paddles finished in aluminium. The dead pedal is present but still it needs more incline and width to offer comfort:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172058.jpg

The Start-Stop button eats away the space to keep knick-knacks. Now I cannot even keep my phone in there. I think it's a permanent place for the remote of the AVN system:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172048.jpg

The 6 speed gearbox is a charm to drive. Rubber gearshift is good to touch and handle. But long throws and notchy gearshifts (reverse and 1st) play a spoilsport:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172037.jpg

The center console has two bottle holders which are adjustable to accommodate various types of containers:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172030.jpg

The chilled glove box is a good option and an alternative to keep the drinks and other stuff cool during sunny days. The AC vent is seen in the picture:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172023.jpg

Laptop holder and the other glove box hold good amount of stuff:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172009.jpg

Well this is the star feature. It’s really an awesome feeling of having a sunroof. Best utilisation comes on a long drive in the night with my love under stars and moonlight:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_171942.jpg

M&M has attached the cowl with dashboard as compared to previous version which made noise on bad roads. This doesn’t vibrate or make any noise which gives a calm and noise-free cabin:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_171931.jpg

Door pockets can hold one liter of bottle and other stuff with ease. Beige colour is very hard to maintain:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_171924.jpg

Well the waterfall design is good looking and smart. 7-inch touchscreen works as a charm. Removal of CD player from W8 and W10 is better as now there is no moving part which can go bad.
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_171908.jpg

Diwali lights and speedometer provide all essential details required during the drive. I feel an MID would be a very good addition. Door open sign does not show which door is open (a miss I feel).The 7 inch AVN system is very touch sensitive and resolution is very good. I feel the display is good but the speaker system is not adequate. It does the job to provide music, but an audiophile surely needs an upgrade:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_171900.jpg

A much needed feature of electric seats adjustment. It offers 8-way adjustable seat. Memory function could be a good upgrade in the newer version:
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_20161223_172631.jpg

What I liked:
This car is like – ‘More car per car’. This you realise when you own it.
• The full package you get is very impressive. The cost does justice to feature list, the extra gizmos and the most important thing mHawk engine itself.
• When it was launched back in 2011-12, the looks, exterior, and interior were its talking points and M&M has taken this to a new level with the update. The claw like handle can easily impress anyone and it's surely a head turner. The chrome on the front fog lamps is a kind of an overkill. I feel the chrome lining should have been all around the window, rather than just at the bottom.
• The small things in its interior such as coin holder, chiller, laptop storage, cigarette lighters on each row, leather upholstery are very nice and comes very handy.
• The overall build quality seems very good. The soft thud of doors closing is a pleasant experience. The weight of the car probably makes all the difference too in terms of overall stability and sturdiness.
• There is no major rattling sound. But if you closely observe, the middle folding row assembly on a really bad road keeps making some sound.
• The tyres are wide and reasonable. The NVH levels are acceptable but the perception changes as soon as you try and corner the beast at some speed. The tyres start squealing and people start turning their heads (I personally do like the attention). I have driven on the highway as well as city roads so far and I don't see much of an issue. At higher speeds I experience relatively calm cabin.
• The diesel engine is very well heard. It's as aggressive and peppy as a kid on a playground. Especially in the range of 2000 rpm and above in third, fourth and fifth gear feels like it is super fun. It can surprise any damn thing on the road. Overtaking is a breeze and handling on the highway is very easy. One can easily hit triple digit speeds. The drive is too good in city as well as highway. The quick pick up in gears without accelerator input is something of getting used to. There is definitely a kick or turbo boost as soon as you cross 1300 rpm.
• The visibility of the road from driver seat is very good. The cornering headlamps light up the areas very nicely and it illuminates the curves at night far better. The static bending lights come on as soon as you turn the steering wheel while headlights are on, both side of the corner lights lit up. A nice little feature!
• The driver seat adjustment is super easy. It took me some time to find my comfortable position – memory function would be a welcome addition though.
• The nice rubber covering on the gear stalk is good. But if you come from Hyundai, it feels like a lot of work needs to be done to engage the gears, especially the reverse and 1st gear. At first I thought the handbrake is too oddly placed but when I used it, I did not feel anything odd.
• The second row space is huge. XUV5OO somehow I felt it to be more spacious on the second row and is comparable to the Safari in this area.
• The infotainment unit is reliable and good utility. The quality of voice and Bluetooth connectivity is seamless. The Blue-Sense App on android works great. The App shows exact tyre pressure in all 5 wheels though infotainment unit only shows OK/ Not OK markers. The speed sensing volume control is very useful feature that can be turned on or off based on your preference. Unlike old XUV5OO there are no niggles so far.
• The air conditioner in Auto/ Econ mode does its job well. The rear AC is pleasantly cool. The second row has lesser air blow capability than the rearmost ones. The ACC cools the cabin in no time and with 25 degrees set in ACC, comfortable atmosphere is attained very soon.
• The ride quality of this beast is good over humps and bad roads. There is a bit of body roll but it becomes significant only when going through rough roads and big undulations on the road. On a silent road, when you go over a hump with windows rolled down, you can hear the "hiss" like air sound from suspension working for you.
• Steering is easily adjustable. It has nice grip for city and highway drives. It is much better than my previous car. Good thing is it does not vibrate or makes you feel nervous even at high speeds.
• Braking is one of the best I have experienced; the disc brakes on all wheels do the duty. It has a definite bite that gives confidence for late braking.
• The feature of Hill Descent Control is very handy. By default, the ascent control is always enabled. So no more fear of rolling backwards when coming out steep inclines of the mall or in ghat sections. When you set the Hill Descent Control ON, the descent on the ramps or ghat roads would be controlled one. I have used this feature and it works flawlessly.
• Electronic Stability Program (ESP) is by default ON. You can switch it off in case driving in the mild slush but never had to do it so far.
• The lounge lighting lifts up the mood. The blue colour is very soothing and much better than old model's red one. A sedate night drive on the highway with an open roof takes you to an altogether different world.
• The IRVM is good. Gives you perfect view of the rear through rear glass. The reverse camera with park assist is a real blessing for tight apartment parking. But I miss the electronic IVRM dimming feature which is available in the i20.
• The remote key is accurate to work. I have never taken it out of my pocket. No beeps and no honks. Car detects the proximity very well. The moment I step out of the car with key, 2 feet away, it alerts with chirps.
• The Auto Wipers and Auto Lights do their job well. I had couple of drives in the rain and with the intensity of the rain, the wipers work less or more to keep the windshield clear of the water. I like that handy feature. I can focus on the road more!

Things which I do not like in the car:
There are few things which I think Mahindra has to work/ provide to make a better product: -
• Gear shifts are bit notchy and takes effort to slot in 1st and reverse.
• The inconsistent panel gaps in glove box.
• Options must be given to choose the interior colour of seats. I wanted Black interiors like the ones they have launched in foreign countries. Beige looks premium but is very difficult to maintain.
• Voice command system does not work as expected and can be upgraded.
• Apple car play and Android auto, and better navigation system.
• The low beam is very pathetic and underpowered. The LED strip must be made DRLs.
• No boot space with all 7 seats in place. The interior storage is good but when you put up last row, there is literally no space for luggage. The roof rack storage is must. The good news is with only one elder kid at the rear seat, I can fold the half seat and keep two trolleys on it to secure it.
• The head lights in low beam are not at all sufficient for highway. When you put the lights in Auto Mode, the high beam cannot be used other than for passing/ flashing.
• The Rear Wiper does not have any intermittent operation or way to slow it down. When it is ON, it just keeps wiping.
• I feel the engine noise is higher than expected.
• The turning radius should have been little smaller.
• Navigation is very good but does not have as many POIs as Google Maps.
• The cigarette Lighter in the front row below infotainment unit has too small a cubby hole/ storage. That’s due to that start and stop button on its side. Wish it was larger to keep the phone itself in that cubbyhole.

Small Niggles: There are few initial niggles which I faced during the ownership of eight months are enumerated blow:-
1. Inconsistent panel gaps in the inside panels and glove box. The upper glove box is misaligned since day one.
2. Squeaking sound from the rear seat while moving on the bad roads. Even after the 1st service, it’s not repaired.
3. The blue lounge lighting sometimes flickers and gives the illusion of voltage fluctuation.
4. The left door does not close on soft closing and has to be closed with hard hand.

Verdict: XUV500 still has a lot of faults and is not perfect. A better infotainment speaker system would also have added to the overall experience. But then almost every car in the market today has some or the other fault. Overall I am very satisfied with the HUNTER and I forget everything when I am driving this monster and I am thoroughly enjoying the ownership. I will try and keep this thread updated.
Soon, I will update with the detailed drive of Ahmedabad to Payyanur –1640 kms of driving pleasure.

Till then,

Godspeed
Jai hind!

Last edited by Omkar : 29th December 2016 at 10:14.
singh.saab is offline   (12) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 18:54   #2
BHPian

Default re: My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories

First of all Jai Hind Sir!!
Why are you registering the car in HP when you intend to use in Kerela?
Congrats for your Hunter and hope you have a troublefree experience.

Last edited by navin : 20th January 2017 at 15:42. Reason: spelling
PraNeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 19:57   #3
BHPian

Default re: My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraNeel View Post
First of all Jain Hind Sir!!
Why are you registering the car in HP when you intend to use in Kerela?
Thank you for the good wishes PraNeel.

I am a serving defence officer and we usually get transferred to various places in India. I probably will be moving out of Kerala soon. Moreover the registration taxes in Himachal is cheapest.

Regards
singh.saab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2016, 20:41   #4

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Congrats on the purchase of your Hunter.
It is very sad to hear about bad experience wit the dealership. It is high time that they should understand what customer is expecting from them.
Anyways, I hope you gather many happy moments with the Hunter.
I am sure it will be a mile muncher.
Regards
Manan_02 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 10:32   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2016, 15:43   #6
BHPian

Default Re: My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories

I too took the delivery of my Grey XUV W10 FWD from Punjab Auto in May 16. It was a pathetic experience and i along with my wife and nephew had to stay two extra days against planned one to take the delivery. The staff just dont communicate with you. I guess their staff make paperwork seem easy to us faujis. They just couldnt care less. And to top it, they literally begged me to rate them nothing less than 10 on their survey from the company.
SX4LOVER is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 06:48   #7
BHPian

Congratulations on purchase of HUNTER. Wishing you all safe mile munching with your new car. Its a very wise decision and i am sure will prove a worthy partner in years to come.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 07:06   #8
BHPian

Congrats buddy. great review and wish you happy mile munching with your proud possession.

On a secondary note, I too bought my Scorpio from Punjab Automobiles back in 2009. Those guys were equally pathetic even then.
nvldvr is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 09:40   #9
BHPian

Unhappy Re: My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
On a secondary note, I too bought my Scorpio from Punjab Automobiles back in 2009. Those guys were equally pathetic even then.
Thank you so much for the wishes. I think the monopoly of M/s Punjab Automobiles in Ahmedabad and lowest CSD prices of canteen has made it to their heads. They give least priority to the customers from canteen. I think this is going to change soon as soon as the GST comes into effect as all the taxes will be same across the country. Probably then the services will get better.

While taking the delivery of Hunter, I got to know that Mahindra dealer at Bhuj was offering 25K discount and 60 lts of fuel for the same model. But as I had made the purchase order for Ahmedabad, I could not change it.
singh.saab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 10:14   #10
BHPian

Thats true. And good input regarding other dealers. I am never going back to punjab auto again.

Also, was there any entry tax imposed by HP? Did you pay road tax @ 3% or 8% in HP?
nvldvr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 15:35   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Also, was there any entry tax imposed by HP? Did you pay road tax @ 3% or 8% in HP?
hey nvldvr, I had done my registration in Mar 16. I had a paid a total of 51 thousand for invoice of 15.07 lac. I think it was 3% and rest the agent took as his commission.

Cheers
singh.saab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2016, 21:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singh.saab View Post
Thank you so much for the wishes. I think the monopoly of M/s Punjab Automobiles in Ahmedabad and lowest CSD prices of canteen has made it to their heads. They give least priority to the customers from canteen. I think this is going to change soon as soon as the GST comes into effect as all the taxes will be same across the country. Probably then the services will get better.

While taking the delivery of Hunter, I got to know that Mahindra dealer at Bhuj was offering 25K discount and 60 lts of fuel for the same model. But as I had made the purchase order for Ahmedabad, I could not change it.

@25 K and 60 litres fuel are courtesy approximately 55 XUVs bought by defence officers on the same day. The only demotivating factor for me to go to amdavad was the distance, as i had to drive back to UP via chandigarh .

Last edited by SX4LOVER : 30th December 2016 at 21:40. Reason: incomeplete
SX4LOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 19:10   #13
BHPian

My beloved Hunter took us to Mangalore and brought us back safely. A total of 254 kms which consisted 170 kms of single lane roads of kerala and rest the four lane road of karnataka. What better way to start new year other than going on a long drive to watch 'Dangal'.

The Hunter has completed 6976 kms successfully.
My Hunter - 2016 Grey Mahindra XUV500 W10! May your life be full of stories-img_6104.jpg
singh.saab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote