Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 13th December 2016, 04:53   #1
BHPian

Default Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast

Subject:

Name:  TEARDROP.G35.parent.NEW.jpg
Views: 1586
Size:  27.4 KB

Requirement and Background:

Simple Requirement : Fun to Drive Sedan!!

Elaborated Background : I was looking for a Lexus GS 350 AWD (07 – 11) for about few months now but didn’t get hold of a well maintained car (either it had higher miles or looked abused). This particular model (07 -11) has been my favorite design for a long time now so even looked into couple of RWD GS 350’s but quickly opted out of it considering the winter conditions / amount of snowfall we receive here. Did find couple of 300's but felt the power delivery on the 350's to be better, hence sticked with 350 option only.

Thought of adding few other makes/models to keep things interesting and as an outcome Acura and Infiniti models came into the picture. So the final list was something like below, photos are for illustrative purpose only, credit to original owners.

Lexus GS350 AWD - Personal favorite of the lot.
Name:  2007lexusgsfrontside_legs350071.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  17.0 KB

Lexus ES350 - Did find some well maintained cars but only FWD configuration. Super quiet cabin on the newer models not as per my interest.
Name:  2010lexusesfrontside_lees350101.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  28.5 KB

Lexus LS460 - Only few on sale, mostly on RWD configuration.
Name:  2007lexuslsfrontside_lels460071.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  28.2 KB

Acura TL - Looks good, mod friendly, TYPE-S model did look interesting but those gen model came only in FWD configuration, was willing to consider.
Name:  2006acuratlfront_actl064.jpg
Views: 1295
Size:  21.6 KB

Acura RL - Comes in AWD configuration, very few on the roads and not so good design.
Name:  2006acurarlfrontside_acrl061.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  21.7 KB

Infiniti G35x - AWD configuration available, classy laid back looks, was willing to consider.
Name:  g35x.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  31.6 KB

Infiniti M35x - G35x's elder brother, not so good looking design, wasn't a serious contender.
Name:  2006infinitimside_ifm35063.jpg
Views: 1284
Size:  24.1 KB

Germans?

BMW's and AUDI's were completely out from the list, my trusted FNG mechanic (with whom I would be getting the car maintained) asked me to stay away from those. Did consider Mercedes Benz (one of my personal favorite on the German brands, other being Porsche) and mechanic did give me a green signal, but the cars from (2005-2010) didn't inspire me much especially on the electronics reliability. Might reserve the brand for future upgrades.

What if none of the above worked out?

MDX might have been the Subject

Name:  2010acuramdxfrontside_atmdx101.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  20.3 KB

Why G35x?

One fine day, I was scouting through a local advert and found this pristine looking (at least in the pictures) car that was on sale, owned by an elderly gentleman not far off from my place. Being an AWD with less kilometers on the odometer coupled with agony in finding similar condition GS350 AWD, the advert quickly garnered my interest. Though I had a car to commute, didn't want to prolong the search (also running out of patience) and thought of considering this seriously.

First Look:

Name:  RFView.JPG
Views: 1543
Size:  134.5 KB

Name:  LRView.JPG
Views: 1538
Size:  127.8 KB

Name:  LFInside.JPG
Views: 1541
Size:  109.0 KB

Name:  DashLeft.JPG
Views: 1545
Size:  126.0 KB

Test Drive:
After looking at the posted pictures, I sent an email to know further details. Got a detailed reply with few attachments in couple of hours and it took some time for me to read through all the information.

Car had about 90,5xx kms (not bad for a 10 year old car), Car Proof report showed active status and some maintenance records with the local Infiniti dealer. Couple of emails were exchanged (like to know the tyre type, condition, etc.) over the next day or two and I was almost convinced to go for the car (had a little concern on the ride quality, not a fan of stiff ride).

On seeing my interest and genuineness, the owner even offered to drive down the car to my office so that I can have a look and test drive it during day light. I opted for it since my colleagues can view and pour in their opinions. Time was set, me and my colleagues eagerly waiting (sometimes checking out the windows) and a mild growl confirmed its presence. Stepped out, exchanged introduction pleasantries, walked around the car, asked the owner to open the bonnet and then start the car. No hesitation or unwanted noise/vibrations, engine came into life as it should be in a well maintained car. Upon closer look, car looked recently detailed as the interior and engine bay looked clean.

Wanted to test the ride quality / suspension set-up, quickly filled up the test drive formalities and went for a short drive on some un-even / patched roads and the ride was not too stiff nor soft cushioned, it was about to my liking. Came back to the office parking, owner showed me the maintenance record (from the first until recent services) and an excel sheet with all the expenses so far. Everything looked good; colleagues gave me positive feedback and thumbs up too but I said to the owner 'will get back to him in the next couple of days' (wanted to do some more research on the model, which threw in some surprise on the AWD set-up). Happily went out for lunch and voila the car was parked at the same mall.

First Impressions:
Clean engine bay, engine and transmission in great condition, in fact much better than expected.
Exterior was above average for a car of it's age, very minimal dings, scratches etc, a good detailing will get it back into showroom days.
Interior was in pristine condition, no smoking and no pets, leather has held up well.
Full size alloy spare wheel and well kept boot with hardly any sign of usage.
No rattles or squeaks.
Pleasant to deal with kind of elderly couple.
My colleagues who were present during the viewing and test drive did gave a positive feedback.

Finalizing the Deal & Taking Possession:
After doing some research (to my satisfaction), I emailed the owner to let him know the best I could offer for the car. Few emails later, both agreed to the middle ground and the deal was finalized over a phone call from the owner. I was tied up for the next couple of days, so thought of collecting the car over the weekend but then the owner offered to drop-off the car and finish off the ownership transfer formalities at my location as per my convenience (also show his brand new Q50 which would be his replacement for G35x). Thankfully accepted his kindness and received the car next day.

End Result - A G35x

Name:  g.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  34.7 KB

Some Interesting Facts on G35x

Engine Placement:
Racing technology-inspired FM (Front Mid-ship) platform, which mounts the engine behind the front axle in the “front mid-ship” position. The positioning of the engine is a key to the car's high level of driving performance, providing a nearly optimized 53:47 percent front-to-rear-weight balance.

AWD System:
“G35x Sedan uses Infiniti’s ATTESA E-TS (Advanced Total Traction Engineering System for All Electronic Torque Split) all-wheel-drive system consists of a lightweight electro-magnetic clutch (compared to a typical oil pressure clutch) that provides variable torque distribution ranging from 50:50 front/rear up to 0:100 percent front/rear. This allows the system to run in rear-wheel-drive only on dry roads. A “snow mode” feature reduces the aggressiveness of the electronic throttle, and fixes the torque distribution ratio between front and rear wheels at 50:50 at speeds up to 19 km/h. In all other driving conditions, a standing start generates a 25:75 split front to rear, after which the system will distribute power between the front and rear wheels in ratios between 0:100 and 50:50. These ratios change continuously and automatically, and require no driver input to select them.
The result is a car that can operate using full rear-wheel drive when conditions warrant, through to a range of front-to-rear ratios determined by sensors at each wheel that respond to particular road surfaces. In addition to the all-wheel drive capability, standard vehicle dynamic control maintains stability, and a sophisticated traction control system called Active Brake Limited Slip (ABLS) uses the ABS sensors to detect wheel spin and applies braking to counteract it”.

Suspension and Design:
This car's performance is enhanced by a 4-wheel independent multi link suspension with lightweight aluminum components and highly aerodynamic styling – including a coefficient of drag of just 0.27 and zero degrees of front lift. Shares the same rear-wheel-drive mechanical platform as the Nissan 350Z.

Standard Specifications:
Engine 3.5 litre V6, DOHC, 24 valves
Layout Longitudinal front engine/all-wheel-drive
Horsepower 280 @ 6,200 rpm
Torque 270 ft-lb @ 4,800 rpm
Transmission 5-speed automatic with manual shift mode
Tires P215/55VR-17

Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  38.0 KB

Features List:

Drivetrain
Front Enginer, RWD based AWD
5-Speed electronically controlled automatic with manual shift mode
Snow mode with indicator
Vehicle Dynamic Control
Gear Ratios (:1) 1st - 3.540
2nd - 2.264
3rd - 1.471
4th - 1.000
5th - 0.834
Reverse - 2.370
Final drive ratio (:1) - 3.538

Body, Suspension and Steering
Body type - High strength steel corrosion resistant unibody
Suspension - Multi-link independent suspension with stabilizer bar
Steering - Power asssited rack and pinion with 15.9 ratio
Turning diameter - 36 feet

Brakes
Front - 12.6 inch x 1.1 inch power assisted vented disc
Rear - 12.1 inch x .63 inch power assisted vented disc
Electronic Brake force Distribution and Brake Assist
4 channel / 4 sensor Anti lock Braking System

Wheels
7 spoke 17 inch aluminum alloy wheel with titanium color finish
Full size spare with alloy wheel
Tire Pressure Monitor System
Wheelbase - 112.2 inches
Minimum ground clearance - 5.51 inches

Exterior Features
HID Headlights
Heated, dual power controlled outside mirrors
Dual sliding glass sunroof

Interior Features
Leather appointed seats
Heated front seats with high and low settings
8 way power driver's seat with adjustable lumbar support
4 way power passenger's seat
Manual reclining rear seats
Fold down rear center armrest with locking trunk pass through feature
Illuminated entry system with time delay fade-out
Driver's seat and steering wheel memory (2 position settings) with automatic entry/exit system
Automatic anti-glare rear view mirror
One touch up/down all power windows
Power tilt and telescopic steering wheel

Capacities
Fuel tank - 75 liters
Engine oil - 4.7 qts
Engine coolant - 9.1 qts

Curb Weights
Curb weight - 1655 kgs
Weight distribution (front/rear) - 53/47

Audio System
BOSE 7 speakers and in-dash CD player

Comfort & Convenience
Cruise control with steering wheel mounted controls
Intelligent key
Dual zone air conditioning with automatic temperature control and rear vents
Remote trunk release
Locking glove compartment with light
Auto on/off headlights
Homelink universal transceiver

Safety & Security
Advanced air bag system with dual-stage front supplemental air bags with seat buckle switches
Front sear side impact supplemental air bags
Supplemental side impact curtain air bags, front and rear, roof mounted
Active from seat head restraints
Rear child safety seat tether anchors
Energy absorbing steering column
Remote keyless entry system
Electronic master ignition key
Emergency wallet key
Infiniti vehicle immobilizer system

Post Purchase:
Have driven about 1000 km so far, mostly city limits. Cold weather didn't give much chance to explore the performance. Been a practical car with enough performance packed.
Periodic maintenance was done a day before the car was put on sale, synthetic oil has been used for the past few years and I will continue doing the same. Changed the cabin air filter as a precaution.
The tires are Nokian XL Hakkapellita WRG2 All Weather Tires 215/55R17 with a very interesting tread that is more aggressive on the inside half, on average condition with 7/32" on the rear treads and 5/32" on the front.

Positives so far:
Power / acceleration - It does bring a smile every occasion, mild growl audible inside the cabin is a bonus.
Braking - Satisfactory
Handling - Can feel the RWD dynamics, AWD traction on action upon requirement with a snow mode (which is a must) is good.
Precise steering feedback and also the instrument panel moves along with steering adjustment.
Ergonomics - Well designed layout, things in place where it should be with easy reach.
Typical Kitna Deti Hai? - Averages about 5 - 5.5 kmpl on the last fill with mostly city driven, harsh weather necessitate to warm-up idling and winter gas might play a spoilsport, but not a concern for now.

Could have been better things:
Additional gear/s - While cruising at 100 km/hr engine runs about 2300 - 2400 RPM, would have been better if it was around 2000 RPM.
Factory remote engine start system - Might consider installing an aftermarket system
Fuel Mileage - Though fuel tank capacity is at 75 liters, range may not exceed 700 kilometers in complete high way driving.

Overall Review:
It has been a good bang for the buck. Compact dimensions and good visibility combined with power and (enough) performance has made this car a perfect daily drive and fun filled weekend drive.
Taller people might feel the head room to be less (I did feel but it might be due to the setting, I don't like to sit too low). Not much rear leg room especially when the front seats are fully pushed back.
Strict 4 seater, hump (RWD platform), raised and comparatively hard middle seat does not allow a comfortable seating for passenger at the middle.
Frequent run to the gas stations especially with 75 liters capacity makes to feel sometime (might take some time to get used to it)
Regular fuel does affect the performance significantly, kind of difference between eco (regular fuel) and sport (premium fuel) mode. Same is mentioned in the fuel filler cap (use premium fuel for optimum performance).

End Note:

Happy Driving!!

Last edited by v1kram : 22nd December 2016 at 01:47.
v1kram is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 06:12   #2
BHPian

Default re: Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast

Random Interior Pictures

Controls for Heated Seats
Name:  heat seats.jpg
Views: 1277
Size:  46.1 KB

Sun Roof
Name:  sunroof.jpg
Views: 1276
Size:  24.6 KB

Boot
Name:  boot.jpg
Views: 1280
Size:  31.0 KB

Some exterior shots, taken on a very cold day.
Attached Thumbnails
Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast-dscn4590.jpg  

Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast-dscn4591.jpg  

Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast-dscn4592.jpg  

Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast-dscn4593.jpg  

Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast-dscn4594.jpg  

Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast-dscn4623.jpg  

Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast-dscn4630.jpg  

Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast-dscn4636.jpg  

Last edited by v1kram : 22nd December 2016 at 01:12.
v1kram is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2016, 08:33   #3
BHPian

Default re: Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast

Congratulations on your car. Looks to be in great shape. Take good care of it and drive safe. Here is wishing you many years of blissful ownership!
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 16:29   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2016, 17:10   #5
BHPian

Great looking specimen, looks well-maintained too. As you'd mentioned, the tread pattern looks interesting! Are those snow-specific tyres, although mentioned as all-weather?
MalluDude is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2016, 03:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Congratulations on your car. Looks to be in great shape. Take good care of it and drive safe. Here is wishing you many years of blissful ownership!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
Great looking specimen, looks well-maintained too. As you'd mentioned, the tread pattern looks interesting! Are those snow-specific tyres, although mentioned as all-weather?
They are not snow specific but supposed to be better than all season / regular tyres in winter. Main advantage is they can be used throughout the year (can avoid stocking one more set) while snow tires are best used when the temperature is below 7 Degree Celsius.
v1kram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2017, 23:19   #7
BHPian

Four + months completed with the G, did around 4000 kms so far, AWD has been a boon and confidence inspiring during poor/harsh winter weather conditions (especially when some Subarus (poor drivers?) found their way into the ditch).
Since spring is here, washed and waxed to get rid of the salt and grime.
No other surprises on the vehicle condition so far!
Attached Thumbnails
Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast-img_1259.jpg  

Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast-img_1260.jpg  

Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast-img_1261.jpg  

Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast-img_1263.jpg  

Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast-img_1291.jpg  

Infiniti G35x : My Pre-Adorned Beast-img_1287.jpg  

v1kram is offline   Reply With Quote