Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd April 2017, 20:32   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Ownership review of a Renault Duster AMT: My humble monster

Ownership review of a Renault Duster AMT: My humble monster-037.jpg
The Last time my duster sees 4 digit ODO

The ownership experience has been trouble-free so far. Car feels great to drive, and frequent city use has been giving me satisfactory FE.

The car needs to be driven in Manual mode only for steep climbs. Other scenarios can be handled in Auto mode. The AC cooling is efficient, and car gives a planted-feel for drivers and the passengers throughout.

Hope the thread has been helpful to prospective car-owners.

Thanks,
Rajoy.
rajoy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 13:28   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajoy123 View Post
Overall, it performed really well in bad roads, curvy roads, traffic snarls (at few locations near kumily and thekkadi) and the wonderful roads of Pala.

Thanks,
Rajoy.
Great ownership review I am in market for an automatic SUV and Duster seems to be the best fit.
On a side note, feeling proud of being a Palakkaaran
bhp_maniac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 14:20   #33
BHPian

Dear Friends,
I am currently out in the market shopping for a diesel AT sedan/SUV where my running is around 75 KMS / day for daily office commute from Faridabad to Noida. And also would make once a quarter highway trips. Most of the times it will be driven alone and weekend getaways in a quarter with family. I got an offer from the dealer for 12.5 Lacs OTR faridabad registration for Vento TDI DSG Comfortline and 13 Lacs OTR for Skoda Rapid Mid variant which essentially comes with important bells and whistles. Do you think this is a sweet deal? Other car under consideration is a Duster AMT diesel 110 PS (OTR 14.1). I am in a big fix what to choose? Can experts help please? I can stretch by budget a bit and go ahead with a duster if it is a better car than VW or Rapid. I am leaving out XUV or Create AT because of higher budget.
SpoiledBratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 14:43   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
Other car under consideration is a Duster AMT diesel 110 PS (OTR 14.1). I am in a big fix what to choose? Can experts help please?
While the Duster is a good car, the AMT is something I wouldn't recommend at this price and hence, I'd say you go ahead with either the Rapid or the Vento DSG depending on what you like.
n.devdath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2017, 18:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
While the Duster is a good car, the AMT is something I wouldn't recommend at this price and hence, I'd say you go ahead with either the Rapid or the Vento DSG depending on what you like.
Duster has received zero rating in latest global NCAP crash test for the base model. However the model having driver airbag has scored three stars. The Latin made Duster has four stars last year and it seems that the Indian model has a smaller air bag compared to the later and that compromises the safety aspect. Full details in the below link.

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/auto/st.../1/950270.html

It's really disappointing to see Duster performing so bad in the crash test even though the cost remains on the higher side. It's high time now Renault should pay attention to the safety features in all models.

This being a deal breaker for me - I dropped it now from my short listing. Thanks to a bhpian for sharing the above info with me on the official review thread of the duster.
SpoiledBratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2017, 15:52   #36

With Rajoy and other fellow teambhpians review and input. I finally bought RXL AMT on March 10th.

Driven 2500 KM till date and below are the few highlights:

1. Drive-ability and road presence is amazing.
2. Eats of potholes and bad road with ease. Suspension is marvelous.
3. AMT - During initial drives, I sometimes used to feel, did I made a mistake by buying a reno AMT? As there was a heavy gear shift lag in 2nd and 3rd. After continuous usage, now the gears shift like butter smooth.
4. Door lock button in the center is useful. Co-passenger can securely close the doors when drive is out of the car.
5. Music system is awesome (I am more of a vocal and clean thump listener). May be because of large and deep door pockets which are acting as a bass box.

Dislikes:
1. Door lock button has to be depressed for few seconds to active and deactivate the auto door lock functionality. Quite a weird functionality. Is the auto door lock option not necessary? What is kids depress it and deactivate door lock functionality.
2. Vehicle does not have a door lock button / two stage pull lock from inside. If you have kids you have a switch on the child lock. The door can be opened in one pull from inside. The door lock on the center console is to lock the door from opening from outside.
3. Passenger Airbag. I had to opt for RXL as I bought a 2016 manufactured vehicle and RXZ was not available. Creta gives two airbags as a standard in all its variants. Renault sorely understands the necessity to provide the safety standard. Hence the ZERO rating in the test!!!
4. Door pockets are too deep and the chrome design bend narrows the space for you had to reach the bottom. Renault has to deep some ergonomic research prior to install.
5. There is small space in glove box for the glove box light which is kept open. The higher variant comes with a glove box light. I wonder how such small cheap thing which could cost 100/- maximum becomes a comparative feature. Renault should understand that there are lot more features which can be other cars in the market and need to focus on those.
6. Volume button has limited functionality. It does not change tracks. The music system screen in piano black with white back light. The information on the screen can be read only from center direction. You have to move your head to middle of the row to read the information. Worse in the mornings.
7. Second row doors never shut properly, you always have to close them with a thud.
8. Seat comfort is mediocre. Lacks back support. The curve in the middle of the seat is too deep should be adjusted with a pillow or with nice seat covers.
9. Ignition key hole could have been much better.
10. The insulating floor matting are no glued, pull us every time you pull the floor mats for cleaning.
shiva_s is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2017, 17:27   #37
BHPian

Firstly congrats for your new ride. Lovely writeup and outlines just the relevant features . Welcome to TDI club.
ARAY is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 18:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

Nice review

I don't think the brake pads or the clutch needs replacing until 50k odd as the usage of both are limited unlike in manual gearbox.

The brakes are usually beefed up for an automatic transmission car

The clutch is operated via a DC motor in an AMT gearbox.. hence more accurate operations and hence a longer life than manuals

Good review
headers is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2017, 19:08   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBratt View Post
Dear Friends,
I am currently out in the market shopping for a diesel AT sedan/SUV where my running is around 75 KMS / day for daily office commute from Faridabad to Noida. And also would make once a quarter highway trips. Do you think this is a sweet deal? Other car under consideration is a Duster AMT diesel 110 PS (OTR 14.1). I am in a big fix what to choose? Can experts help please?
The RxZ model has 2 airbags, should certainly get 3+ stars. The Vento (I won't recommend Skoda to anyone) is German inside out, but it cannot give you the ground clearance or commanding visibility that a vehicle with high stance can offer. You should also look at the recently-launched Duster Petrol CVT. There's at least one ownership thread of this new avatar of Duster in this forum. It may give you 12kmpl only but the OTR is cheaper by a good 4 to 4.5L. You can thus use the money saved for paying your petrol bills which is pay-as-you-go only, unlike EMI and RT/insurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva_s View Post
With Rajoy and other fellow teambhpians review and input. I finally bought RXL AMT on March 10th.
6. Volume button has limited functionality. It does not change tracks. The music system screen in piano black with white back light. The information on the screen can be read only from center direction. You have to move your head to middle of the row to read the information. Worse in the mornings.

10. The insulating floor matting are no glued, pull us every time you pull the floor mats for cleaning.
6. The behind-the-steering control stack has a wheel beneath it. This wheel can change the tracks and radio stations as well.

10. This is because the bottom-side of the floor mats have a rough finish which causes the mats to "bite" into the felt-like insulation material. Try putting a newspaper between the mat and flooring insulation or (if you are really finicky about fine detailing) get some bubble wrap and place it on the rough surface of your floor mats.

I too bought a Duster AMT RxZ on 6th APR and have clocked 3300 approx.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 7th July 2017 at 19:17.
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 17:20   #40

Congrats Sandeepmdas on your new Duster.
Thanks for the bubble wrap idea.
shiva_s is offline   Reply With Quote