Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st March 2017, 14:38   #16
BHPian

Default Re: My 'Cherry' Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
If you're considering the S-Cross, 1.6 is the way to go. 1.3 might be a tad underpowered.
Thanks Bhaskar, but the 1.6 is way above my budget. The price differential between the 1.3 Zeta and 1.6 Alpha is upwards of Rs3 lakh...
nikhil_d1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 16:49   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskar.guru View Post
Congratulations on your new ride Saleem!

Very well written and detailed write up of your entire experience. Gives a lot of information to folks planning their next cars upgrading from a small entry level hatch.

Cheers mate!
Thank you for the encouraging works bhaskar.guru. I'm glad to be of help to prospective buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Congratulations on your purchase!
Let me add my two bits on some points you've mentioned in your post:
1. Tailgate rattle - looks like a known issue with all Ecosports and even I've been facing the same. The only solution is to regularly get the tailgate lock assembly cleaned and greased.
2. Stock Headlights - The lesser we discuss about it the better! It's pathetic. I've recently upgraded to the Philips Extremevision Plus 60/55W and am very happy with the performance. The best part is that these are plug and play bulbs and do not require additional relay and wiring harness.
Thank you nishantbhatia84. Surely will ask the servicing guys during the second service to clean and grease the assembly lock of the tailgage. As of now, the rattles are very minute and do not happen consistently. Probably more on really bad roads than average or good roads. Where did you purchase the Philips bulbs? Are these available online?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_d1106 View Post
Congratulations on your new ride!!! Enjoy
A well compiled review and it mirrors the dilemma I am in. I am currently in the same boat as you were a year ago. Did you consider the SCross 1.3?
I am confused slightly between a Ecosport TDCi and SCross 1.3 and have postponed the decision to later in the year as both the vehicles are due for a facelift!!
Thank you nikhil_d1106. No I did not consider the S-Cross as I was aware of the lethargic 1.3 engine and didn't have the budget to consider the 1.6 versions. Personally don't like the looks much but I believe it is an overall great car to own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRavi View Post
Congratulations on your Cherry ride!

Being an Ecosport owner for around an year, i could relate to most of your view points.This TDCI is an amazing peppy engine to drive on. You have done a great job on write up with more distinctive view points and made this interesting.

Some bits to relive:
Engine Eagerness: I come from a petrol and was definitely new to handle and control this surge in 2nd and 3rd gears. Whenever i drive this to its full capabilities it always brings a smile on my face.
Rattles: I had few rattles for running over bad roads including tailgate which is a common issue. Greasing is the solution.
Paint Quality: I too have a similar paint chipping as yours. Its normally a flying pebble from other vehicles on highway. Stay far from those stone loaded trucks.
Headlights: Surely agree with you . In order to overcome this i switch on Fog lights(Never use this in city) on long night drives with headlight high beam adjusted to 1. This is the only way i found benefiting on dark nights. Need to upgrade but SA suggests some warranty issue due to over heating.
Breaking: very sharp. i too get worried with others tailgating on hard breaking in city when encountering autowalas/biker stunts.
Ride quality: With R16 MRF shoes i really found this difficult to digest initially. Now i got used to this and manage rite speeds on bad roads and humps.

You have made right choice as per your requirements. Keep munching miles.Drive safe.
Thank you RapidRavi for your observations and putting me to a little relief. I agree with your point on using fog lights. I do but don't see much difference and I also agree that the reason for me not upgrading to better bulbs till now is the warranty that it might void. R16 alloys should be better than the R15 tyres that are there on my version. I do agree that they tend to throw you about on bad roads and you feel every undulation at slow speeds. However, at high speeds, I feel they perform well. Handling might improve with better rubber anyways.

Did you notice any rpm fluctuations when using AC, compared to when not using AC? Like I mentioned in my review, although the engine is eager, I see that the rpms fluctuate ever so slightly when idling the car, with AC on. What this does is a faint shudder creeps through the car. This again doesn't happen always and I have not been able to catch the trend of when this is happening. Do share your inputs, if any.
saleem_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2017, 19:55   #18
BHPian

Congrats buddy, mine is a 2016 EcoSport TDCi Titanium trim. I love the car for its dynamics and Handling. I have upgraded my tyres to a slightly bigger 205/65 R16 Michelin Primacy 3 ST, these tyres are amazing@15k kms. Consider these on your next change.
Also, I noticed, you have not put the floor mats on(or maybe this is an old pic), in case of a liquid spill these stock mats really make a bad odor. Be careful on that.
Suggest you to remove that steel ford key chain to avoid any marks on the plastics in its vicinity.
Happy mile munching
aabhimanyu04 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2017, 12:22   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabhimanyu04 View Post
Congrats buddy, mine is a 2016 EcoSport TDCi Titanium trim. I love the car for its dynamics and Handling. I have upgraded my tyres to a slightly bigger 205/65 R16 Michelin Primacy 3 ST, these tyres are amazing@15k kms. Consider these on your next change.
Also, I noticed, you have not put the floor mats on(or maybe this is an old pic), in case of a liquid spill these stock mats really make a bad odor. Be careful on that.
Suggest you to remove that steel ford key chain to avoid any marks on the plastics in its vicinity.
Happy mile munching
Thank you aabhimanyu04. Great observations I must say.

We have gone for the standard mats provided by the dealership, which are part of their standard accessories and they are of decent quality. Yes, you are right in terms of liquid spills but thankfully it hasn't happened yet. Till that happens, I will probably use these mats as they go well with the car's interiors. Great suggestion on the tyre upgrade, will definitely keep that in mind. As for the key, yes definitely chances of scratches so will be changing that soon. Thankfully no scratches as of now.
Old 2nd March 2017, 16:29   #20
BHPian

I was on the lookout for a new car few months back, and Ecosport ticked the right boxes like no other car did -

great build quality - CHECKED
great diesel mill- CHECKED
fun to drive - CHECKED
loaded to the gills with features - CHECKED
Go anywhere attitude - CHECKED
low maintenance costs (owned a figo, can vouch for Ford) - CHECKED
reliability (3 years in market and no major complaint) - CHECKED
Importantly, great price - CHECKED

In all, I'd say: "Neighbors envy, Owner's pride!"
anurag.somani is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 01:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Congratulations
Awesome choice based exactly on your requirements.
Rare to find people with your precision of decision.

Happy motoring
ecosport rules is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:29   #22
BHPian

Finally a new Ecosport review after ages ! Congratulations on your new purchase. I will say buying a car is something which is also driven by passion, not always by brains. Hope you have got something which will make you happy My Scarlett is currently 2.5 years young and already traveled 43K. Few points i will like to mention:

1: I was also unhappy after getting a MRF tyre like you. But 43K km later i am happy i got those. So far i have done countless highway runs and drove through bad patches of NH34 & north bengal and i only got 3 punctures on 1 tyre. I have seen people with Goodyears having flat tyre on the same stretch. Better have something durable rather than sporting fancy soft rubber which you need to change in the middle of a trip.

2: Getting bigger rims will lead to narrow profile tyres which translate to harsher ride. Instead you can go for the thicker & durable AT tyre which is only possible in 15' for Ecosport. More info here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3986907 (Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)

3: Before you get all excited about the 200mm GC, you may want to read this article of mine here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3892124 (American Beauty - My Ford EcoSport Titanium 1.5 Diesel) Take a measuring tape and find out yourself

4: Luckily i didnt get any rattles from the boot, however i get rattles from my bonnet every 3-4K km which i need to fix by going to the workshop especially after a roadtrip which requires me to drive on bad patches of road.

5: Do get the extended warranty just for the peace of mind. But do note that extended warranty does not include all the items from the main warranty. Read the fine print !

6: I am surprised you found the rear space on Ecosport more than Brezza. I was under the impression that its one of the least in its segment. My rear seat is mostly unused for 95% of the time.
Samfromindia is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2017, 21:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post

1: I was also unhappy after getting a MRF tyre like you. But 43K km later i am happy i got those. So far i have done countless highway runs and drove through bad patches of NH34 & north bengal and i only got 3 punctures on 1 tyre. I have seen people with Goodyears having flat tyre on the same stretch. Better have something durable rather than sporting fancy soft rubber which you need to change in the middle of a trip.
I can also vouch for the durability of MRF tyres based on my experience with my Etios Liva. The car came with MRF ZVTV tyres and had only 1 puncture in 40000 KM. Braking is also good. Had to change to new set of MRF ZVTS as it was more than 5 years. It is not without reason that many Car manufacturers prefer MRF for stock tyres(and not Michelins/Yokohamas).
DImPo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 01:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag.somani View Post

I was on the lookout for a new car few months back, and Ecosport ticked the right boxes like no other car did -

great build quality - CHECKED
great diesel mill- CHECKED
fun to drive - CHECKED
loaded to the gills with features - CHECKED
Go anywhere attitude - CHECKED
low maintenance costs (owned a figo, can vouch for Ford) - CHECKED
reliability (3 years in market and no major complaint) - CHECKED
Importantly, great price - CHECKED

In all, I'd say: "Neighbors envy, Owner's pride!"
Agree anurag.somani and I'm sure we are not saying this coz we have purchased the car but because an honest comparison would bring out similar observations among a large sample.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Congratulations
Awesome choice based exactly on your requirements.
Rare to find people with your precision of decision.

Happy motoring
Wow thank you ecosport rules for the flattering compliment! Your thread is no less than an encyclopedia on how to make our Ecosports even better, something that I keep visiting for new ideas. Although not yet implemented will definitely do most of the things that you have done to your Ecosport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
Finally a new Ecosport review after ages ! Congratulations on your new purchase. I will say buying a car is something which is also driven by passion, not always by brains. Hope you have got something which will make you happy My Scarlett is currently 2.5 years young and already traveled 43K. Few points i will like to mention:

2: Getting bigger rims will lead to narrow profile tyres which translate to harsher ride. Instead you can go for the thicker & durable AT tyre which is only possible in 15' for Ecosport. More info here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ml#post3986907 (Ford Ecosport : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread)

3: Before you get all excited about the 200mm GC, you may want to read this article of mine here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3892124 (American Beauty - My Ford EcoSport Titanium 1.5 Diesel) Take a measuring tape and find out yourself

4: Luckily i didnt get any rattles from the boot, however i get rattles from my bonnet every 3-4K km which i need to fix by going to the workshop especially after a roadtrip which requires me to drive on bad patches of road.

5: Do get the extended warranty just for the peace of mind. But do note that extended warranty does not include all the items from the main warranty. Read the fine print !

6: I am surprised you found the rear space on Ecosport more than Brezza. I was under the impression that its one of the least in its segment. My rear seat is mostly unused for 95% of the time.
Thank you Samfromindia, your observations are really valid. Yes, I've already seen that tape measurement of GC but what matters is I just had a slight brush on the underbody on really pathetic road and other bad roads haven't done any harm. So won't get too touchy about it. Your tyre upgrade suggestion makes sense and glad you shared the link. This will be the first thing in my list of upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DImPo View Post
I can also vouch for the durability of MRF tyres based on my experience with my Etios Liva. The car came with MRF ZVTV tyres and had only 1 puncture in 40000 KM. Braking is also good. Had to change to new set of MRF ZVTS as it was more than 5 years. It is not without reason that many Car manufacturers prefer MRF for stock tyres(and not Michelins/Yokohamas).
Thanks for the reassuring feedback DImPo. The tyres look strong as of now and I might upgrade to a wider profile, just for the sake of more comfort and nothing else.
Old 14th March 2017, 18:06   #25
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase.

Very comprehensive & crisp ownership report.

I am too looking to buy a car and have been thorough the same options as yours. Now confused between Ecoboost & TDCI . One question I would like to ask is if you did the test drive of the Ecoboost variant?
snaseer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 15:39   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaseer View Post
Congratulations on your purchase.

Very comprehensive & crisp ownership report.

I am too looking to buy a car and have been thorough the same options as yours. Now confused between Ecoboost & TDCI . One question I would like to ask is if you did the test drive of the Ecoboost variant?
Thank you snaseer. No, I did not test drive the Ecoboost version due to non-availability at most dealers. However, the regular feedback I hear is it has significant turbo lag at low speeds and is its biggest drawback. However, the top-end is supposedly better than the 1.5p and 1.5d engines.
saleem_k is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2017, 17:10   #27
BHPian

Default Quick 1200kms drive to Pench - Now completed 8.5k Kms in Cherry

On the Holi weekend I did a trip to Pench and I must say the car was perfect throughout the trip. No issues anywhere with anything. We started at 4:10am from Himayath Nagar and reached Nagpur railway station by 11:05am. The only break we took was for breakfast that we were carrying so that was a stop for just 15-20 minutes. Stopped a couple of times for sunrise pics and for cleaning the car after we ran into a lot of mosquitoes just before Adilabad. Of course the tolls are also impediments to non-stop progress and especially since it was morning, the folks were taking more time than usual to handout the toll tickets.

Must say the roads till Adilabad and a little after that are great. A bad patch around Maharashtra border will slow you down but after that it's good till Nagpur. Nagpur to Pench is an entirely different story as due to road-widening and heavy trucks the 90 kilometers from Nagpur railway station till our resort was a 2.75hrs of stressful travel coz we took an incorrect route while going. While returning, we covered this stretch in about 2.25 hours as we came across some really good toll roads. The roads in Pench that are undergoing widening right now, should be good for use in about 6 months and that will make Nagpur to Pench an even faster affair, especially for those driving from Hyderabad directly to Pench.

Here are some pics...

Early morning around 1 hour away from Adilabad
My 'Cherry' Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi-img_6348.jpg

Attack of the mosquitoes
My 'Cherry' Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi-img_6351.jpg

My 'Cherry' Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi-img_20170310_080249.jpg

Around Turiya zone in Pench
My 'Cherry' Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi-img_20170312_140820.jpg

My 'Cherry' Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi-img_20170312_140831.jpg

Around our resort near Turiya zone.
My 'Cherry' Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi-psx_20170315_092346.jpg

My 'Cherry' Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi-psx_20170315_092049.jpg

My 'Cherry' Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi-img_20170312_133358.jpg

My 'Cherry' Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi-img_20170312_133410.jpg

On our way back to Hyderabad, on the Penganga river bridge
My 'Cherry' Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi-img_20170313_121939.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
My 'Cherry' Ford EcoSport 1.5L TDCi-img_20170313_121929.jpg  

Last edited by saleem_k : 15th March 2017 at 17:12.
saleem_k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 13:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Did you notice any rpm fluctuations when using AC, compared to when not using AC? Like I mentioned in my review, although the engine is eager, I see that the rpms fluctuate ever so slightly when idling the car, with AC on. What this does is a faint shudder creeps through the car. This again doesn't happen always and I have not been able to catch the trend of when this is happening. Do share your inputs, if any.
Yes i did take a look at this. Even mine shows the same fluctuation of RPM with AC on. I hope this is fine as the engine works with compressor to do this job and hence a faint shudder.All this at idling.
No AC: ~800 RPM
With AC: ~900 RPM
RapidRavi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 19:51   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRavi View Post
Yes i did take a look at this. Even mine shows the same fluctuation of RPM with AC on. I hope this is fine as the engine works with compressor to do this job and hence a faint shudder.All this at idling.
No AC: ~800 RPM
With AC: ~900 RPM
Thanks RapidRavi for confirming this. You are spot on with the RPMs. Do you think this is something that can be addressed by a ECU refresh or it's nothing to worry about. I'm a bit concerned about this because about 2 years back I was driving a self-driven diesel 1.4 Figo from Bangalore to Coorg and that one had a really bad shudder at idle. The whole car shook when that happened and I wasn't much into diesel engines and didn't realize why that was happening. So I'm wondering that the older our car gets, it might become like that or maybe regular maintenance will take care of this issue.