Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th May 2017, 12:20   #31
BHPian

Default Re: My bronze beast - Toyota Innova Crysta GX Automatic

Dear karthi.stark,

First let me congratulate you - very well written.

I have a Scorpio S10 AT 2WD. If I could have afforded the Vitamin-M, I would have gone for the top end Crysta AT. In that much money, I can buy two S10 ATs!!

How many years before you can drive a car? Just asking - you can keep it a secret if you want!

Regards,

Girish Mahajan
GKMahajan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2017, 18:27   #32

Thumbs up Re: My bronze beast - Toyota Innova Crysta GX Automatic

Dear Karthi.Stark,

I have been on this forum for over a decade, mainly a mute spectator. Altough I visit Team-BHP quite often, I have not written a line for a long long time, The last time I had logged in was to pay my respects to Sam Kapasi.

After seeing your review of the Crysta today, I had to reply to you.

You have an amazing sense of writing for your age, the review is really good,
Keep up the good work, You have great potential.

Kamal.
kamal_parashar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2017, 12:47   #33

Nice review. During the launch of this Crysta vehicle, I had my reservations about whether this will live up to the old generation Innova sales figures given that it was already a costly care. Having successfully completed over a year, figures shows that there still exists loyal group of Innova buyers.
adeshsurroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2017, 09:26   #34
BHPian

Hi I just wanted to know at what tyre pressure are you using your ride?
yashcosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 13:51   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashcosmos View Post
Hi I just wanted to know at what tyre pressure are you using your ride?
Sir,
We maintain a pressure of 35 psi on the front wheel and 32 psi on the rear wheel.

Also, I had forgot to mention one thing. At the time when the car was new, we observed that the ride was a bit bumpy. (Never expected that from an Innova)

Suspecting that the tyre pressure is at fault, we decided to check it.On checking the tyre pressure, we were shocked to see the instrument read 42 psi!

What was the dealer thinking?

We didn't mention it to the dealer as it wasn't a big issue and could be rectified easily. But all crysta owners, please beware of this!
karthi.stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 13:55   #36
BHPian

Oh 35 and 32! My ride is bumpy and bouncy even at 32 on all 4 tyres, i guess its the 17inch alloys on Z model thats to be blamed! Now i have kept it at 30, so far its been good apart from the fact that i feel I'm steering a truck and not a Innova.
yashcosmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2017, 14:07   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yashcosmos View Post
Oh 35 and 32! My ride is bumpy and bouncy even at 32 on all 4 tyres, i guess its the 17inch alloys on Z model thats to be blamed! Now i have kept it at 30, so far its been good apart from the fact that i feel I'm steering a truck and not a Innova.
You are absolutely right sir.

Smaller wheels ensure better ride quality.

However, one thing I still don't get is the fact that the Hexa gets better ride quality than the crysta even with 19" alloys. However, we Crysta owners struggle to get the best ride quality one can expect from an MPV and have to fiddle with the tyre pressure always.(I've read similar complaints from other owners as well!)

Despite this, the Crysta dominates over the Hexa when it comes to sale numbers. This shows the kind of trust people have got in the crysta.

But seriously, I feel Toyota has to do something about this!
karthi.stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 07:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karthi.stark View Post
Smaller wheels ensure better ride quality.

However, one thing I still don't get is the fact that the Hexa gets better ride quality than the crysta even with 19" alloys. However, we Crysta owners struggle to get the best ride quality one can expect from an MPV and have to fiddle with the tyre pressure always.(I've read similar complaints from other owners as well!)
It's not the smaller wheels which ensure better ride. In fact it's the other way round. Bigger the diameter, the better the ride quality.

Regarding the reason why the G variant with 16" alloys perform better than the Z variant with 17", it's because of the higher side wall height of the G variant which aids cushioning.

Side wall height of g with 205/65 r16 tyres - 133.25 mm
Side wall height of z with 215/55 r17 tyres - 118.25 mm
Side wall height of Tata hexa top end with 235/55 r19 tyres - 129.25 mm

So, you can see that the hexa side wall height is very close to the G variant of crysta. In addition, it also has the advantage of bigger diameter tyres and softer suspensions.

Then why did Toyota decrease the side wall thickness to such a low value? The answer is again simple. That 2.8 l engine is a beast of an engine. With such power and high speed capability, grip becomes important. You increase the side wall thickness and you start losing out on grip. So, it seems Toyota took the safer route compromising on comfort. But, that resulted in safety hazards due to tyre bursts because Indian roads are not going to be smooth and such a heavy vehicle banging on the pot holes causes pinching effect of the tyre between the pot hole and the alloys causing it to tear.

Last edited by amalji : 3rd August 2017 at 07:30.
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote