Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th October 2006, 17:46   #1
Senior - BHPian

Wink First Impressions Sonata Embera

Had gone to check out the Verna but this beast caught my eyes.

I couldnot test drive it (due to unavailablity of the car).

External Looks - The car has presence. It looks the part too especially in black. The 215/60/16 Hankook Optimax tyres look very good. However i find it better looking then the Civic.

Interiors - Not that great i would say. They are just average. The dashboard is too flat and i like the Civics spacecraft dash(with Digital Speedo) much better then the Emberas. The rear seat of the Embera is very good.

Equipment - Whats the difference between the Civic and Embera, non i guess. The TCS has been droped i guess, as i couldnot find any button to activate it nor does the website mention it. Leather is only as a option for 40,000 more.

Price - My dealer said 15L for the manual which is grossly overpriced. Can anyone confirm the 11L pricing in Mumbai??

The First Pic is the Airbag lock. You can deactivate the side airbag with the car keys.

The good thing about the Embera is its powerplant, which is quite powerful but drinks very badly.

Now NC and F50 had taken a test drive of the Embera and they were going to post their comparision between the Civic and Embera. As i have not taken a test drive of the Embera i cant comment on the driving dynamins of it.

I feel betweem the Embera and Civic its going to be mighty, mighty close, so pour in your thoughts guys.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 20:03   #2
Team-BHP Support

Nice impressions on the Embera. I had driven the AT version of the embera when it was launched. It's a good car to drive.

The gear changes do have a little lag in the AT. The AT is a tiptronic one which works similar to the civic except that instead of paddles you need to tap the stick up or down to shift.

The car is very silent and smooth. The NVH is very good even at speeds of 120. The car feels every bit a bigger segment than the Civic in city conditions. Much bigger and not easier to drive due to the size in the city.

The legroom is more than the civic clearly. The interiors a little drab and not as exciting as the Civic's. It does have a trip computer showing distance to empty and instantaneous mileage. Also the sound system is of very decent quality and it has a 10" sub in the rear.

The ride and handling of the car is on the softer side and is plush. At low speeds its very nice but as the speed builds up it kinda feels floaty although stable. The steering is on the heavier side.

I had driven this a long time back when the cost of the AT was 16.8L onroad in bangalore. I was considering changing my lancer to the embera but decided to wait for the Civic.

Now am again contemplating and waiting for the Embera CRDi.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2006, 20:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

WOW!
I saw the car at HMP at Mahalxmi, near Cadbury House and i was dissapointed by their service and the way they had kept the car.
The seats were dirty and some pocket in the dashboard wasn't closing properly.
No discounts too and its only 70K less then the Accord and though i find it a better luxury car then the accord, others don't.
Cheers
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 10:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

The hyundai embera crdi would be out arrond dec jan and the best part of it is that its a v6 with the variable geometry turbine tech.waiting for it is worth if you have a couple of lakhs more with you .
ram
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 11:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully Hyundai will price the VGT Embera right around 14L.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 11:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Seen a number of ads recently which point out that after exchanging your old car + loyalty bonus from hyundai thats when the price comes to 11.5lakhs and that too I feel is only ex-showroom price.

Regarding The VGT embera it would most likely be priced higher than the petol engined version which is available right now.

@Bsusa great review and well taken pics.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 29th October 2006 at 11:15.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 11:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA
Now NC and F50 had taken a test drive of the Embera and they were going to post their comparision between the Civic and Embera. As i have not taken a test drive of the Embera i cant comment on the driving dynamins of it.

I feel betweem the Embera and Civic its going to be mighty, mighty close, so pour in your thoughts guys.
Yes we did drive the Emberra and Civic back to back. I posted the driving impression of the Civic. The reason I dint post the driving impression of the Emberra because the Civic has it blown away !

The power plant has 167 BHP but the Civic feels that much more faster. There is a lag in power delivery and thats not a good thing. The ride quality is very good though.

The interiors are good but not the best. Rear seat has loads of space but also the old Hyundai failing - lack of under thigh support and that makes it uncomfortable on long drives. The driver seat is nice and good but not as comfortable and snug as the Civic.

Exterior wise - the Emberra looks good but not anything that stands out.

Between the Emberra and the Civic - its not even close , the Civic it is by a huge margin.

According to the dealer , in August the car had the following offer ,

2L off
1 Plasma TV
1 LCD TV

Guess with the festival season going on now, the discounts should be somewhat similar.

Would I choose the Emberra over the Civic if its priced at ~12 L ?

NO
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 12:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
Seen a number of ads recently which point out that after exchanging your old car + loyalty bonus from hyundai thats when the price comes to 11.5lakhs and that too I feel is only ex-showroom price.
The current offer for the Embera in Delhi is that the company has dropped the prices to 12.45L officially. Now there's a discount of 90k on it which makes it 11.55L but this figure is ex-showroom. So after registeration charges, road tax etc. the final price is near 12.5L. A little bit of haggling might be possible but nothing significant.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2006, 12:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

My friend works as a hyundai car salesman and he gave me the entire info of the sales comission, dealership margin,etc...
For every Embera sold, the salesman recieves 25,000 rupees which is the highest and this is because the car is really really tough to sell.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 12:26   #10
BHPian

BUSA, the Embera is a great car, compared wrongly with the Civic, but to be compared to an Accord. search around, and u will find my posting where i had compared it neck to neck with an Accord and found it to be better than an Accord in all ways, but badging and a lil bit better interior quality in the Accord.

Civic is a diff segment, and Sonata is a diff Segment. Go out and see who u notice more, one in civic or one in the sonata. because the pricing is closer to the Civic, after the discounts and stuff, comparing it to it wud do injustice to the Sonata.

A true sonata lover... (thou have gone for competition)
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2006, 12:47   #11
BHPian

spoke to the hyundai salesman about the embera when I went to order the verna.

u get a 3 lakhs discount if u already own a hyundai. if not - disount is 2.5L.
BikerSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2006, 10:49   #12
Senior - BHPian

hey its lmost 2.5 l exshowroom i believe.
rm
ram_hyundai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2006, 10:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
BUSA, the Embera is a great car, compared wrongly with the Civic, but to be compared to an Accord. search around, and u will find my posting where i had compared it neck to neck with an Accord and found it to be better than an Accord in all ways, but badging and a lil bit better interior quality in the Accord.

Civic is a diff segment, and Sonata is a diff Segment. Go out and see who u notice more, one in civic or one in the sonata. because the pricing is closer to the Civic, after the discounts and stuff, comparing it to it wud do injustice to the Sonata.

A true sonata lover... (thou have gone for competition)
You're right. Comparing Civic and Embera and telling Civic is better is rubbish. Even Honda wont do a comparison and give this kind of verdict.
adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2013, 23:11   #14
BHPian

Default Re: First Impressions Sonata Embera

Is it normal for the car when parked in Gear to roll down the slope in jerks, the reason I ask is I parked the Embera crdi a few weeks back and went out of station and my neighbor stated it rolled down a bit and hence he had to place some stones to hold the wheels, he says it touched his gypsy parked in front.

The car was in reverse gear, front facing downwards and the parking brake was (accidentally) partly engaged. I intentionally engaged the opposite gear to hold it from rolling forwards in addition to the parking brake. Normal practice I engage parking fully and then slip into gear.

This slope is about 20 degrees. After I came back I tried this again to check by engaging the reverse gear on a downward slope and the car does roll forward in jerks, I never have experienced this in any other car, so is it normal, or is there something I need clarity on.

I always assumed in reverse the car should not roll forwards, in fact people advice that you should always leave the car in the opposite gear from the direction of the slope, it doubles up as a safety precaution and reverse gearing should not allow forward motion.

Does this indicate something. The car has done about 80k kms and is from mid 2008. The car gives about 12-13 kmpl which I think is little low as other owners report 15+kmpl.

Also about the clutch, the mechanic tells me that it is weak but safely usable for another 10-15k kms without damaging other mechanicals hence I don't think it is that bad to let the car roll when parked in gear.

While driving I don't get the burning smell of the clutch slipping, also it tackles inclines in 1st or 'R' gear even if you stop and start again, acceleration is there but again I haven't compared with another if better or same.

Please let me know. Appreciate all help.
s_pphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2013, 00:24   #15
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: First Impressions Sonata Embera

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_pphilip View Post
Is it normal for the car when parked in Gear to roll down the slope in jerks, the reason I ask is I parked the Embera crdi a few weeks back and went out of station and my neighbor stated it rolled down a bit and hence he had to place some stones to hold the wheels, he says it touched his gypsy parked in front.
Yes, it is perfectly normal for the car to move forward in jerks. You see, if you have parked your car on a slope, gravity is trying to make it move down the slope. If you are relying only on "leaving the car in gear" technique, then you are in for a load of trouble. Because the only thing preventing your car from rolling down is the fact that the total force exerted by the car (combination of weight of car, gravity, and slope) on the entire drivetrain is less than the force needed to turn the engine over, slip the clutch/gearbox - whichever is the weakest link in the drivetrain. In your case, a heavy car, coupled with heavy slope, had enough force to make the engine turn over and hence cause your car to roll downwards.

Always, always, always, use a physical restraining mechanism like big stones, chocks, and then turn the wheel to jam the tyre into the kerb, to keep your car in place.

To get you started on correct parking on a slope: http://www.wikihow.com/Park-on-a-Hill

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th August 2013 at 03:35. Reason: Please avoid quoting a large post as it is as it causes inconvenience to our mobile readers. Thanks
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote