Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2017, 21:28   #16
BHPian
 
Arjun Reddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 845
Thanked: 963 Times
Default

Congratulations and all the best. What's with the Koda and not Skoda ?
Arjun Reddy is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 08:56   #17
BHPian
 
sawnilrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 326
Thanked: 681 Times
Default Re: Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepsarma View Post
Finally the thread is ready. Great read Nilesh! Well written. The insight into the design and history of Octavia is much appreciated. Congratulations on your car again quite identical machines we have and know exactly what emotions you go through too. Happy miles
Thank you bro. Well an identical car, with an identical color too. So its like we own replica's. Infact, since your review was up, just a month ago, and I wouldn't disagree with all the points who had mentioned, I took the liberty of going a bit technical way. So a big thank you to you for getting your thread ready earlier. Now the readers have an option of going through your thread and understanding the features in details and then coming here to understand the birds eye view of the car alongside tech bits added in here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Nice one there brother! One of my all time favourite car's, If it did not have a skoda badge i would have chosen this over the Jetta back when it was launched! Also I am not a fan of the front chrome man, Think about it over time, This car specially in black colour begs to be in the stealth sporty look mode instead of a chromed up luxury car.

Wish you many miles of happiness, Lets catch up soon!
Thanks brother. Yes definitely will get the stealth mode on, on the car very soon. Yes we need to do the catching up really soon, It's being time we have met, plus now I have a bigger motivation to meet up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Congratulations and all the best. What's with the Koda and not Skoda ?
Thank you Arjun, Since the S of Skoda is a character and not an alphabet that is this- Š. In the mobile app, this Š is not showing up, and I am assuming it is due to it being not an alphabet.
sawnilrules is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 12:07   #18
BHPian
 
Ani0404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 72
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder

Congratulations mate. She is a head turner for sure. I somehow like this edition of Octavia more than all the previous versions. This one looks more aggressive, mean, sporty and classy all at the same time.

How much did the ceramic coating cost you?

Looking forward to other upgrades and updates. All the best and happy driving!
Ani0404 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 14:13   #19
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 138
Thanked: 320 Times
Default Re: Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder

Congratulations on your new beast!
Wish you happy ownership with your car!

Can you please provide your review/feedback on
1. Parking sensors- how many front+Back and camera - is it available?
2. Lights - Strong/adequate ; throw; does low beam switch off when high beam is enabled?
daretodream is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 14:22   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Noida/New Delhi
Posts: 408
Thanked: 791 Times
Default Re: Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Congratulations on your new beast!
Wish you happy ownership with your car!

Can you please provide your review/feedback on
1. Parking sensors- how many front+Back and camera - is it available?
2. Lights - Strong/adequate ; throw; does low beam switch off when high beam is enabled?
Octavia Style Plus has 4 parking sensors in the front and the 4 at the back. It is also equipped with a rear view camera with guide lines. The image is displayed on the music system and works in tandem with the beeps from the sensors. You can also choose to disable the camera and will then see only a basic color display with the distance shown from the objects in form of descending bars.

The lights are adequate with reasonable throw. I do wish the intensity was a bit more. Since the headlights are bi-xenon, there is a single projector for both high and dipped beam.

You can see them in action here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tsi-dsg-3.html (The Black Panther - Skoda Octavia 1.8L TSI DSG)

Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 17th March 2017 at 14:24.
RohanDheman is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 15:05   #21
BHPian
 
sawnilrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 326
Thanked: 681 Times
Default Re: Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Congratulations mate. She is a head turner for sure. I somehow like this edition of Octavia more than all the previous versions. This one looks more aggressive, mean, sporty and classy all at the same time.
Thank you mate. I agree that the black one is a head turner. My last road trip, I had parked the car in the hotel parking and my room had a balcony view of the parking, saw 2 couples merrily clicking themselves with the car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
How much did the ceramic coating cost you?
Ceramic coat costed me 35,000. But this one comes with 5 year warranty and touch up every 6 months or as the need be for 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Looking forward to other upgrades and updates. All the best and happy driving!
definitely mate, that is the intent to keep updating the thread as and well new things happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daretodream View Post
Congratulations on your new beast!
Wish you happy ownership with your car!
thank you mate. I hope Rohan's post helps you find the answers that you were looking for.

Last edited by sawnilrules : 17th March 2017 at 15:06.
sawnilrules is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 17:48   #22
BHPian
 
BlueEyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Driving around
Posts: 110
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder

Congratulations!! Nice write-up, read it at one go and thoroughly enjoyed it.

It's astonishing that how much blindly you were in love with this car wherein there is no mention of a test drive or personally checking it out. You just wrote a cheque,just like that!! I share similar craze for this car and I could instantly relate to your thoughts.

Black looks stunning especially after the ceramic coating but I just love the white color on this beast for similar reasons you mentioned. My heart skips a beat whenever I see a octy pass by and this would be natural upgrade from my current ride GT TSI if and when it happens.
Enjoy the new ride
BlueEyes is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2017, 18:16   #23
BHPian
 
pickdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Pune
Posts: 72
Thanked: 81 Times
Default Re: Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder

This.
This is why I came here. I was in exactly a similar situation as you around the time you were buying the Octy. The only difference is that somehow I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger and buy it. I still feel the pangs of jealousy whenever I see an Octy pass me on the road. I had a couple of TDs, the last one being about 50 KM on a highway. I agree wholeheartedly with all your observations about the engine, NVH levels and power.
If Skoda had not announced the 2017 version, I would have bought the 2016 in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I am now left hanging until they actually launch the new one. The split headlights are not really a downer for me. I like them. Gives a different character to the car IMO.
I was worried about the Skoda AS experience as well as the DSG especially after reading the forum. What has been your experience? Are you using the app Skoda has launched?
All the best. Happy driving!
pickdj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2017, 09:25   #24
BHPian
 
sawnilrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 326
Thanked: 681 Times
Default Re: Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Congratulations!! Nice write-up, read it at one go and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Thank You Mate... I am glad you liked the write-up


Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
It's astonishing that how much blindly you were in love with this car wherein there is no mention of a test drive or personally checking it out. You just wrote a cheque,just like that!! I share similar craze for this car and I could instantly relate to your thoughts.
Tell me about it, however, I did visit the showroom once with wifey as she had to check out what all accessories if any can be added from the showroom. So that was the time, she had checked the car casually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
Black looks stunning especially after the ceramic coating but I just love the white color on this beast for similar reasons you mentioned. My heart skips a beat whenever I see a octy pass by and this would be natural upgrade from my current ride GT TSI if and when it happens.
Enjoy the new ride
I had similar reasons for wanting to buy a white, but then you know what a wise married man does.


Quote:
Originally Posted by pickdj View Post
This.
This is why I came here. I was in exactly a similar situation as you around the time you were buying the Octy. The only difference is that somehow I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger and buy it. I still feel the pangs of jealousy whenever I see an Octy pass me on the road. I had a couple of TDs, the last one being about 50 KM on a highway. I agree wholeheartedly with all your observations about the engine, NVH levels and power.


If Skoda had not announced the 2017 version, I would have bought the 2016 in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I am now left hanging until they actually launch the new one. The split headlights are not really a downer for me. I like them. Gives a different character to the car IMO.

Go for it mate, its going to be another fab car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickdj View Post
I was worried about the Skoda AS experience as well as the DSG especially after reading the forum. What has been your experience? Are you using the app Skoda has launched?
All the best. Happy driving!
I have installed the Skoda App, however haven't used it much, considering my first service is due only in the month of November now. As far as ASS experience goes, I went to the workshop to fit the LED License plates, and the quality of service was good. Didn't expect such professionalism from them to be very honest. They were kind enough to even fit LED Puddle Lamp Bulbs, a part which was not even sourced from them.
sawnilrules is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 15:36   #25
BHPian
 
sawnilrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 326
Thanked: 681 Times
Default Highway/Expressway Driving Experience

Well, 4000 kms up on board as the car nears 4 months completion. Out of these 4000 kms, 1000 kms have been through two highway drives. One is a pure Expressway drive (Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai) and the other was 2 lane highway drive (Mumbai-Shirdi-Mumbai). Penning my experiences separately, as both the roads had different experiences. One is a flat out straights with 4 lane highways while the other was 2 lane highway with amazing turns and curves to experience how the car performs on those curves.

First up Expressway driving impression

Well, all those who stay in Mumbai, are very well acquainted with the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. It’s a 4 lane Concrete Highway with roughly totaling to 95 kms end to end. If you ask me how was my experience driving on this 95 km stretch. I would simply say boring. Apart from going faster than normal, there was nothing home to write about the experience. Probably it has to do with the way the highway is designed and not really anything to do with the car. Since my office has a setup in Pune, I end up going to Pune once in a month, and have been doing it for the past 7 years. In past 7 years, going up and down this expressway each month atleast once, I must have clocked 16000 odd kms on my ODO only on this road.

However those 16000 odd KMS were clocked collectively on these cars a Maruti Suzuki Estilo, Honda City, Hyundai Grand i10 and now Skoda Octavia. Out of this maximum being on the Estilo and later the City as relatively the Grand i10 as well the Octavia have done Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai only once till date. So let me put a perspective of how Octavia behaves on this road.
  • At 80 kmph, you surely feel as if you are going at 40 kmph, and 120 kmph feels as if you are at 80 kmph. Such is the ability of the car to mask speeds.
  • Even at 120 kmph, the car feels lot more composed and in control of what’s happening around. There is no hint of nervousness. It’s like she knows she was built for these speeds.
  • The angry looking DRL’s in the front give a tremendous respect on the road, whether day time or night time. First time in my life, I didn’t have to haggle behind another car for that driver to let me pass through.
  • With Honda, lightest of crosswinds used to unsettle the car, it just doesn’t matter here.
  • The steering wheel weighs up very well, and you always feel in command of the car and not vice versa.
  • Ability to carry same speeds without breaking a sweat even on ghat sections of the highway is worthy of mentioning. I didn’t have to press the accelerator pedal deeper to ensure she kept the momentum. She just continued with same aplomb.
  • The intensity of bi-xenon is really good, not in the league of German trio though, but is sufficient enough to lighten up the road in front of you. Plus the AFS works beautifully. (More about it in next section)
  • Attention grabber for sure, as every person in the passing car was giving a glance back to her. May be the black color does the magic.

While in Pune, I also had an opportunity to click some snaps of the car alongside bhpian Pritam’s Octavia, few clicks below.

The New Legend
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_7658.jpg

The Original Legend
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_7676.jpg

New Octavia Font
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_7670.jpg

Old Octavia Font
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_7672.jpg

Notice the Width of the new car
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_7680.jpg

With Bi-Xenon and DRL's on
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_7675.jpg

Front 3/4th quarter
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_7657.jpg

A perspective of grown length too
Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-img_7679.jpg

Highway Driving Experience.

Well, a three day weekend ensured that we quickly plan a drive and what better than to head on the Nasik highway. Mumbai Nasik highway is a perfect highway with long straights and winding twisties and extremely scenic Kasara Ghat. This is the kind of road, where the European cars really shine. If my experience of driving on the Expressway was boring, on this road, it was ‘wow’some. This is where I truly felt, it was worth putting all that money in a 1.8 Tsi with multi-link suspension and not in 2.0 tdi with torsion beam. So where on expressway, multi-link had no great role to play, the dynamics really shined on this road. So how did the car behave here.
  • First up, it’s not about the speed this time, it’s about the experience behind the wheel, yes concrete roads may last longer, but the grip on a tar road is at different levels all together. So where lane-change maneuvers felt lifeless there, on this road, lane change maneuvers were absolute fun as you could tell what exactly each tires were up to.
  • The multi-link suspension ensures that the car remains flat even while changing the lanes or getting into the corners really hot.
  • Turns which felt scary even at 60-70, Octavia could take them with ease at speeds around 80-100, talks a lot about how dynamically stable the car is.
  • The real charmer was night drive in the ghat, the cornering lamps with AFS lit up the road and especially the banks of the road really well. It gives an extra confidence to go a bit faster in that curve.
  • The car’s ability to shed speed is tremendous; from 120 kmph to 20-30 kmph is a matter of few seconds, all the safety control systems work in tandem with each other.
  • While on city roads you sit and enjoy the car from interior space and comfort features, it’s really on the highway that you appreciate the car as a whole package.

How the AFS works, here are representative images from the Skoda-India website.

Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-picture1.jpg

Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-picture2.jpg

Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-picture3.jpg

Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-picture4.jpg

Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder-picture5.jpg

Whatever it is, it works beautifully well and lits up the road in front of you without bothering the on coming traffic.

Trust me; every day is a new day for me with the car, as I am always figuring out something or the other feature in the car by sheer coincidence.

Cheers, thank you for reading through.
sawnilrules is online now   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 17:01   #26
BHPian
 
Ani0404's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Chennai
Posts: 72
Thanked: 48 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
The real charmer was night drive in the ghat, the cornering lamps with AFS lit up the road and especially the banks of the road really well. It gives an extra confidence to go a bit faster in that curve.

How the AFS works, here are representative images from the Skoda-India website.

Whatever it is, it works beautifully well and lits up the road in front of you without bothering the on coming traffic.
Wow.. this is a nice feature. I did not know the new Octy is equipped with this. Which all cars apart from Octy has this feature? Technology you see... It has gone leaps ahead.
I am sure night drives would be a breeze to do
Ani0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 17:22   #27
BHPian
 
sawnilrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 326
Thanked: 681 Times
Default Re: Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Wow.. this is a nice feature. I did not know the new Octy is equipped with this. Which all cars apart from Octy has this feature?
Well, iirc, this feature is starts from the A4, C and 3 segment for Audi, Mercedes and BMW's. Of-course is present in other European and British marques in India.

Well, in Skoda, this feature starts from Octavia, is there in the new Superb and will be present in Kodiaq too.

In the VW line-up, it is expected to be there in Tiguan and the all new Passat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Technology you see... It has gone leaps ahead.
I am sure night drives would be a breeze to do
Ask me about it. It's absolute fun now, but then whatever said and done, driving in the night on Indian roads can never be safer, I would still recommend driving in broad daylights. While its good to have all this technology, but heavy reliance on it is not recommended. At the end of it, its all electronics. If it stops working and its night out there, calling out for help is going to be a stressful affair.
sawnilrules is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 18:18   #28
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mumbai/Pune
Posts: 42
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Highway/Expressway Driving Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
First up Expressway driving impression

Well, all those who stay in Mumbai, are very well acquainted with the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. It’s a 4 lane Concrete Highway with roughly totaling to 95 kms end to end. If you ask me how was my experience driving on this 95 km stretch. I would simply say boring. Apart from going faster than normal, there was nothing home to write about the experience. Probably it has to do with the way the highway is designed and not really anything to do with the car. Since my office has a setup in Pune, I end up going to Pune once in a month, and have been doing it for the past 7 years. In past 7 years, going up and down this expressway each month atleast once, I must have clocked 16000 odd kms on my ODO only on this road.

.
While driving to work this morning i counted six lanes with 3 on each side, so not sure if there is a new expressway in town. Although you mentioned boring, i am sure its the same one with the intermediate Ghat section the only interesting bit sandwiched between the long boring straights.

Anyways congrats on the Legend and it sure looks SEXY in black. don't mind me spoiling this otherwise awesome thread. I'll go back to drool on the pictures and think what if.
Car-tya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 18:49   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,427
Thanked: 939 Times
Default Re: Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Well, iirc, this feature is starts from the A4, C and 3 segment for Audi, Mercedes and BMW's. Of-course is present in other European and British marques in India.

Well, in Skoda, this feature starts from Octavia, is there in the new Superb and will be present in Kodiaq too.

In the VW line-up, it is expected to be there in Tiguan and the all new Passat.



Ask me about it. It's absolute fun now, but then whatever said and done, driving in the night on Indian roads can never be safer, I would still recommend driving in broad daylights. While its good to have all this technology, but heavy reliance on it is not recommended. At the end of it, its all electronics. If it stops working and its night out there, calling out for help is going to be a stressful affair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-tya View Post
While driving to work this morning i counted six lanes with 3 on each side, so not sure if there is a new expressway in town. Although you mentioned boring, i am sure its the same one with the intermediate Ghat section the only interesting bit sandwiched between the long boring straights.

Anyways congrats on the Legend and it sure looks SEXY in black. don't mind me spoiling this otherwise awesome thread. I'll go back to drool on the pictures and think what if.
Well, Hyundais and Mahindras also have this feature. They have taken a more economical yet equally effective approach - they just switch on the corner lights when the steering turns. They call it "static bending"
anandpadhye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2017, 09:44   #30
BHPian
 
sawnilrules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 326
Thanked: 681 Times
Default Re: Welcome home, Škoda Octavia 1.8L TSI - The one with a mental disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-tya View Post
While driving to work this morning i counted six lanes with 3 on each side, so not sure if there is a new expressway in town. Although you mentioned boring, i am sure its the same one with the intermediate Ghat section the only interesting bit sandwiched between the long boring straights.
Ohh yes, 3 lanes, err a typo error I didn't realize I mentioned 4 there. Thank you for pointing it out. I agree with you, apart from that ghat section, there is nothing to look forward to drive on the expressway. But irony is that the ghat section is mostly marred by traffic jams and serpentine queue of cars trying to weed their way through the trucks and trailers.

Hence there is very little left to explore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-tya View Post
Anyways congrats on the Legend and it sure looks SEXY in black. don't mind me spoiling this otherwise awesome thread. I'll go back to drool on the pictures and think what if.
Thank you mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Well, Hyundais and Mahindras also have this feature. They have taken a more economical yet equally effective approach - they just switch on the corner lights when the steering turns. They call it "static bending"
Well what Mahindra also offers as a part of static bending lights is that the halogen headlights move in the direction of the steering wheel and at activate at speeds above 40. I am particularly not sure of Hyundai, but in Elantra it just offered cornering lamps. I am unaware of what's on offer on Santa Fe & Tuscon

However in AFS or Adaptive Front Light System, the intensity and the throw of the lights is monitored depending on the environment you are in, which takes into consideration the quality of ambient lights outside as well as the oncoming traffic as well as on what kind of roads you are driving and additionally the weight inside the car.

That really takes the experience to the different level. Also, additionally it has the capability to sense what kind of weather conditions are prevailing outside and thus automatically adjusts the beam level and length.
sawnilrules is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Škoda 'Rally Sport' celebrates 40 years of awesomeness! sarathlal The International Automotive Scene 1 3rd June 2014 16:46
Škoda launches Limited-Ed Rapid Leisure. *Update, now Ultima* S@ndy The Indian Car Scene 17 5th March 2014 11:05
Škoda Auto Reveals New Faces Of Octavia Rs And Octavia Scout madhokritesh The International Automotive Scene 12 29th April 2009 16:05
Is this plagiarism or mental bankruptcy - TOI has picked up content from this board! deepaktpatil Shifting gears 2 6th September 2007 12:03
Real Mental turbolader Motorbikes 6 21st March 2005 21:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:36.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks