Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2017, 10:46   #46
Senior - BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,027
Thanked: 1,010 Times
Default Re: My pre-worshipped VW Jetta - Moving from an Italian Beauty to a German Beast!

Sounds like some ball bearings on the way out or some worn bushings. Either way, do keep us posted, sounds like more of an irritating issue than a major one.
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 14:23   #47
BHPian
 
Motoringlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 396
Thanked: 179 Times
Default Re: My pre-worshipped VW Jetta - Moving from an Italian Beauty to a German Beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Thanks iliketurtles for the inputs. I shall keep that in mind whenever I decide to get it remapped.

As of now there is an issue which I need to sort out first before I venture into the map of remaps

There is a humming noise when i take turn (Left and Right) at around 10-30 kmph. It does not happen if I turn the steering while at standstill. My guess it either the disc is grinding against the disc cover while in motion OR something to do with wheel bearings. Next month the yearly service is due and I shall get it rectified then.

Will keep this thread updated on the issue.

Congrats on the ride, I have exact same humming noise especially when getting out of parking spaces and the noise is below 15kmph, and in my case it does not come after i have driven a bit, so can only be replicated at the first start of the car, please let me know if your symptoms are similar.

I could not replicate this for the VW service advisor, hope you have better luck. Please do share your observations.

Thanks
Motoringlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:24   #48
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,652
Thanked: 599 Times
Default Re: My pre-worshipped VW Jetta - Moving from an Italian Beauty to a German Beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Sounds like some ball bearings on the way out or some worn bushings. Either way, do keep us posted, sounds like more of an irritating issue than a major one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Congrats on the ride, I have exact same humming noise especially when getting out of parking spaces and the noise is below 15kmph, and in my case it does not come after i have driven a bit, so can only be replicated at the first start of the car, please let me know if your symptoms are similar.

I could not replicate this for the VW service advisor, hope you have better luck. Please do share your observations.

Thanks
The issue crops up usually during initial running of the car. As I said, there is no noise when the car is standstill so issue with the rack is unlikely. At one of my friend's garage we put it on lift and checked but even then there was no noise (Even when we put the car in gear and presses accelerator). So essentially when car is in motion and there is a pressure on the tyres, this is observed. Thats why I said there might be some issue with wheel bearings.

Lets see what VW says in the service due next month. Shall keep the thread updated.
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:45   #49
BHPian
 
shivasuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 767
Thanked: 271 Times
Default Re: My pre-worshipped VW Jetta - Moving from an Italian Beauty to a German Beast!

I am a little late but congrats on the car. I too have a 2012 CL which has done 25K. The car is just awesome and I haven't had any issues till now, including the dreaded battery issue. Touchwood. I was also looking to upgrade to RCD330+. How is the unit overall? Is it an easy DIY job or does it require a bit of effort to install it? Thanks and enjoy the torque monster. Oh, BTW, if petes is still running their offer for remap get it done. 180+ bhp and 400nm is real fun (I got it done recently)!
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 19:00   #50
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,652
Thanked: 599 Times
Default Re: My pre-worshipped VW Jetta - Moving from an Italian Beauty to a German Beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I am a little late but congrats on the car. I too have a 2012 CL which has done 25K. The car is just awesome and I haven't had any issues till now, including the dreaded battery issue. Touchwood. I was also looking to upgrade to RCD330+. How is the unit overall? Is it an easy DIY job or does it require a bit of effort to install it? Thanks and enjoy the torque monster. Oh, BTW, if petes is still running their offer for remap get it done. 180+ bhp and 400nm is real fun (I got it done recently)!
RCD330+ is quite good for the price its available at. I paid $94 for it on AliExpress in May and it took around 2 weeks for it to reach me. The display is quite vivid and very fast on touch response. I would say at that price its a good investment.

Once I get the humming noise fixed, I will go in for a remap.
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2017, 19:51   #51
BHPian
 
shivasuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 767
Thanked: 271 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
RCD330+ is quite good for the price its available at. I paid $94 for it on AliExpress in May and it took around 2 weeks for it to reach me. The display is quite vivid and very fast on touch response. I would say at that price its a good investment.



Once I get the humming noise fixed, I will go in for a remap.

Thanks for the reply. Is there a CarPlay version available on aliexpress?
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 14:58   #52
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,652
Thanked: 599 Times
Default Re: My pre-worshipped VW Jetta - Moving from an Italian Beauty to a German Beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Thanks for the reply. Is there a CarPlay version available on aliexpress?
Its called 330G plus and not 330+. The 330+ gets Mirrorlink instead. NO Chinese VW HU is equipped with Android Auto as of now.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 15:38   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 941
Thanked: 256 Times
Default Re: My pre-worshipped VW Jetta - Moving from an Italian Beauty to a German Beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Thanks for the reply. Is there a CarPlay version available on aliexpress?
Here is the Carplay version you are looking for. I've ordered the same since both me and wifey are on Apple: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...7afbd36c&tpp=1

The Vendor also informed me that the 2014 CL Jetta (RCD320) doesn't need the ISO to Quad connector either, so I haven't ordered that. I hope she was right!


Cheers
Abhishek
Abhi_Automobile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2017, 20:09   #54
BHPian
 
shivasuma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 767
Thanked: 271 Times
Default Re: My pre-worshipped VW Jetta - Moving from an Italian Beauty to a German Beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Here is the Carplay version you are looking for. I've ordered the same since both me and wifey are on Apple: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...7afbd36c&tpp=1

The Vendor also informed me that the 2014 CL Jetta (RCD320) doesn't need the ISO to Quad connector either, so I haven't ordered that. I hope she was right!


Cheers
Abhishek
My CL comes with the RCD 300 plus system (which has a SD card slot). I might have to buy the connector I guess. Will ask the seller.
shivasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2017, 12:27   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,652
Thanked: 599 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
My CL comes with the RCD 300 plus system (which has a SD card slot). I might have to buy the connector I guess. Will ask the seller.
I have an extra iso to quadlock connector. PM me and we can take it forward.
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 11:01   #56
Senior - BHPian
 
razor4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,875
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: My pre-worshipped VW Jetta - Moving from an Italian Beauty to a German Beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I think that's exactly it, the franchisee's don't have the know-how and/or tools that Pete's Kochi has available at their disposal.
@iliketurtles: Question for you. I was reading in other threads and other forums that the DSG is digitally limited to 350 NM and Pete's guys are claiming around 400 NM post remap. How will the box handle this extra torque when its software limits it to 350? Won't there be issues with gear shifts at higher torque output? Was going through websites of international tuners like Malone (doesn't Pete's use their map?) and they were saying a DSG s/w update is needed to get the best out of the remap.
Ref. Link: http://www.malonetuning.com/20l-cr-tdi

Did you have this chat with Petes? Do they update DSG software? And if not, have you had any issues with this?

I wrote to Pete's with this query and the answer I got was brilliant:

"We have done 100ís of cars in the last 7 years so just enjoy what you get. This is a Peteís Tune so you donít have to worry about anything else. But if you are still worried we recommend you donít do it as customers who are too worried always end up with problems on their cars."

Very scientific.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 12:05   #57
Senior - BHPian
 
razor4077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,875
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: My pre-worshipped VW Jetta - Moving from an Italian Beauty to a German Beast!

A quick update on the Pete's matter. I sent a less than happy response to that email and got a reply from Peter himself. He said that the stock DSG is limited (by software) to ~380 rather than 350 NM. And that it'll be able to handle the 20-odd extra NMs post remap without any issues.
razor4077 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2017, 15:52   #58
Senior - BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,027
Thanked: 1,010 Times
Default Re: My pre-worshipped VW Jetta - Moving from an Italian Beauty to a German Beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
@iliketurtles: Question for you. I was reading in other threads and other forums that the DSG is digitally limited to 350 NM and Pete's guys are claiming around 400 NM post remap. How will the box handle this extra torque when its software limits it to 350? Did you have this chat with Petes? Do they update DSG software? And if not, have you had any issues with this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
A quick update on the Pete's matter. I sent a less than happy response to that email and got a reply from Peter himself. He said that the stock DSG is limited (by software) to ~380 rather than 350 NM. And that it'll be able to handle the 20-odd extra NMs post remap without any issues.
that was a quick resolution. I didn't have that chat with Pete's or the franchise, but by all accounts online the gearbox in the TDI's can handle about 380 NM, as mentioned by Pete's too. The Passat, A4, Superb and other TDI's can all handle that amount of torque safely. So no problem on that front and no need for the software update. I've had no issues with the DSG whatsoever, and know of others on the forum that have run remapped TDI DSG's for thousands of kilometers without an issue.
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 11:22   #59
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,652
Thanked: 599 Times
Default Re: My pre-worshipped VW Jetta - Moving from an Italian Beauty to a German Beast!

Update

Service: Yearly done at VW BU Bhandari, Pune. KMs since last service: 8K KM

Done with this year's Service. Replaced all the filters and engine oil. Brake and gear oil was replaced last year so skipped it this year. Also did not go for Wheel Alignment and Balancing as I would get it done outside. Below is what was charged to me. The service part is roughly 13K and apart from that The strut mount bearings replaced and so the final fig is 17K.

My pre-worshipped VW Jetta - Moving from an Italian Beauty to a German Beast!-service2017.png

Now coming back to the noise which I had reported:

So one of the technical SAs took test drive with me in their own premise which hardly gives you an opportunity to explain the issue and reproduce it. Thankfully the noise was reproduced in that limited 200m test drive and the SA confirmed that he got an idea about it.

So the next day after the service was done, they called me up and told me that the issue is with the Strut Mount bearings. I was happy that they could narrow down the issue and act on it. SA then told me that after opening up the shock, they feel it needs replacement as it has started making noise post fitment .

There was NO suspension noise when I had given my car to the dealer. So to solve one issue they now created another one. I was pissed off but as its been done already, I had no choice but to accept it. I told him may be in 2-3 months I would get it replaced.

I went the next day to collect the car. Now came another shocker: The original reported issue is NOT solved. Buggers opened the suspension, created a new problem and did not even solve the first one reported. Talk about expertise of these jokers. I am so cursing myself that I in the first place asked them to solve the issue. All they know is "Replace", without even doing any troubleshooting.

I spoke to the technician who worked on the car and he told me that he was asked to solve the issue about "some noise". He did NOT even took test drive in the first place to understand what exactly is the issue. I lost it on phone and gave him a piece of my mind. The SA has asked me to visit the service center this Sat to rectify the Actual reported issue once again. I am scared as hell now and in two minds if I should really go there.

So I had 1 issue in the car before service and ended up in having 2. The suspension makes noise when I go over broken road and otherwise is silent on smooth tarmac.

Shall update this thread on the issue...

Last edited by neoonwheels : 31st August 2017 at 11:25.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2017, 11:51   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 575
Thanked: 176 Times
Default Re: My pre-worshipped VW Jetta - Moving from an Italian Beauty to a German Beast!

These issues you have indicated don't seem to be anything major, maybe take it to another garage and see if you can get it sorted? . I've been driving my 2012 model Jetta as a daily driver for 2+ years now and it has performed admirably. I have the AT version, Bangalore traffic being what it is. I've driven the MT and its a great daily driver
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BMW 530d M-Sport (F10) : My pre-worshipped beast GTO Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 823 22nd November 2017 14:20
Buying a pre-worshipped German SUV (30 - 35 lakh budget) Octane_Power SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 43 30th March 2017 21:21
From Beat to Beast: My Pre-worshipped Optra Magnum DriveToLive Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 10 14th October 2014 12:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:50.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks