Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th June 2017, 00:24   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Arrow Video Review: Jaguar F-Pace (2L Ingenium Diesel)

Likes;

- Looks
- Handling & Steering
- Ride Quality
- Exclusivity

Dislikes;

- Pricey, especially the 3L variants
- After Sales Service may be a gamble
- Base models lack features
- Storage & Space is tight (Especially if the 5th passenger steps in)

The video includes an in-depth discussion on JLR's new Ingenium Diesel Engines;

Video Review: Jaguar F-Pace (2L Ingenium Diesel)-screen-shot-20170625-12.18.29-am.png

And then i attend the TEAM-BHP Lunch Meet @ Lonavla;

Video Review: Jaguar F-Pace (2L Ingenium Diesel)-screen-shot-20170625-12.20.10-am.png

Other Facts & Observations;

- The Fuel tank Capacity is only 60L, even the XF sedan has a 66L fuel tank capacity.
- This 2L Ingenium Diesel engine is developed completely in-house by JLR & is codenamed the AJ200D.
- The Ingenium diesels are manufactured at the West Midlands in the UK. The plant has a capacity to manufacture 1 engine every 36 seconds.
- The 2L Ingenium diesel variant weighs aprox 110 kgs less than the 3L V6 counterpart.
- JLR have already developed the 25d Ingenium engines which develop 237 hp from the same 2L engine.
- Globally there is an option of buying the F-Pace with a Manual gearbox(RWD Only), but not in India.
- The First Edition models will be total of 2000 units across the globe.
- Though this is a off road ready Jaguar but there is no terrain response system.
- The body of the F-Pace is made of 80% Aluminium (1/3rd of which is recycled Aluminium) & 20% High Strength Steel.
- In the interior there is no Growler Jaguar logo but leaper logo all around now, initially Jag's had growler logo on the steering.
- Centre armrest storage is less.
- The interior doesn't feel as exotic as the exteriors, specially the plastic quality on some of the buttons (A/C Control buttons to be precise).
- In addition to the above point the paddle shifters are also of plastic, which feel cheap to use.
- Window buttons are placed high & will take time getting used to.
- Infotainment system is good & touch screen is sensitive enough, but i still prefer something like an iDrive.
- While driving i like the fact that i can see the bulge in the hood from the inside reminding me how good the car would be looking from the outside.
- Space for the driver is tight especially the as the footwell is narrow.
​- The boot has ample amount of cargo space even after swallowing the full alloy spare wheel. ​
- The key fob design needs a refresh as it looks old and doesnt suit the new line up, i believe the old gen XF also has the same keyfob.
- Driving around in the F-Pace gathered a lot of attention thanks to it looks & this is its USP.
- The variant i reviewed was the Prestige and priced @ INR 74.5L (Ex-Showroom)

Last edited by karan561 : 25th June 2017 at 00:49.
karan561 is online now   (31) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 10:03   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Video Review: Jaguar F-Pace (2L Ingenium Diesel)

Great work again Karan. Maybe you could have mentioned the company name as TATA JLR

Seems like this one will sell well in India as well. I've already seen two of these in my small town.
samaspire is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 10:30   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
And then i attend the TEAM-BHP Lunch Meet @ Lonavla;

Attachment 1650912
Karan awesome video as always!
And it was a pleasure to see the F-pace in person at the meet.
It deserves the world car design award for sure.
johannskaria is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 12:46   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Great work again Karan. Maybe you could have mentioned the company name as TATA JLR
Great point, will surely do in the future if & when i do a Tata JLR product next.

Quote:
Seems like this one will sell well in India as well. I've already seen two of these in my small town.
Do note Range Rover & LR products got a price cut after Brexit & weakened Pound, but Jaguar products are yet to receive that cut, probably because F-Pace being a CBU they are still carrying earlier inventory. Hence when they announce those price cuts, hopefully the F-Pace pricing will get attractively accessible .

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Karan awesome video as always!
And it was a pleasure to see the F-pace in person at the meet.
It deserves the world car design award for sure.
Hey Johann,

It indeed was good to having met you at the meet & sure thing the F-Pace is a looker and that's its major USP for the Indian target audience.

Last edited by karan561 : 25th June 2017 at 12:57.
karan561 is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2017, 22:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Was waiting for your video. Great review; very informative as usual Karan. I liked how you mentioned that those interested on saving big bucks and still want to go for this SUV, must avoid driving the 3.0L V6 . Once you drive that, the 2.0L will feel sluggish. With all the torque on offer, the 3.0L is a beast, but completely agree with you - it's definitely steeply priced.
S2!!! is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 10:44   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great video as always, Karan. You are a born orator / presenter.

Got to love Jaguar & Land Rover's new designs. Each & every car is drool worthy, including this beautiful F-Pace. She looked even better in person.

The only thing I don't like about the F-Pace is the pricing & variant mismatches. For enthusiasts, the 3.0L engine is the one to go for, but it's obscenely overpriced. Not to forget, it's punching above its weight by going against larger 7-seater SUVs.

For those interested in the F-Pace, also including a link to Vid6639's excellent review (Driven: Jaguar F-Pace).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
What you'll like:

• One of the most handsome SUVs in the market today. Styling retains the Jaguar heritage to a large extent
• Highly potent power plants. V6 diesel engine pulls like a train, V6 supercharged petrol from the F-Type sports coupe is explosive
• In-car entertainment and connectivity is simply the best out there
• Sorted dynamics - ride and handling are pliant even though tuned towards the sportier side
• A Jaguar that you can actually take off-road

What you won't:

• Expected to be priced at a hefty premium thanks to it being a CBU
• Some interior bits shared from the lower XE feel out of place at this price point
• Ordinary performance from the 2.0L diesel. It's not the most refined motor out there either
• Better for 4 adults onboard than 5
• Jaguar's after-sales network isn't a match for that of Mercedes or BMW
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 18:26   #7
BHPian

Karan, your reviews are treat to watch Great Review.
The last place where you end the review must be your favorite. Is it the same zone where you started the Ghibli review?

Quote:
Likes;
- The interior doesn't feel as exotic as the exteriors, especially the plastic quality on some of the buttons (A/C Control buttons to be precise).
- In addition to the above point, the paddle shifters are also of plastic, which feel cheap to use.
I feel that's because of the excess part sharing between this, XF, XE and the Land Rovers. The seats, steering, and the dash center make up almost half of JLR Class-B parts bin.
The expensive Range Rovers definitely use Class-A materials which are missing even in XJ.

On a serious note, Jaguar Management must be very brave to launch F-Pace at such a high price bracket. Makes the Germans(and the LR's) feel a bargain. The 6 Cylinder variant would make the Yummy Porsche Macan a steal.
viren83 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 18:57   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Was waiting for your video. Great review; very informative as usual Karan. I liked how you mentioned that those interested on saving big bucks and still want to go for this SUV, must avoid driving the 3.0L V6 . Once you drive that, the 2.0L will feel sluggish. With all the torque on offer, the 3.0L is a beast, but completely agree with you - it's definitely steeply priced.
Hey S2, thanks for your appreciation man. To be very honest i haven't driven the 3L yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Great video as always, Karan. You are a born orator / presenter.
Thanks GTO, really appreciate the compliments

Quote:
Originally Posted by viren83 View Post
Karan, your reviews are treat to watch Great Review.
Thanks Viren.

Quote:
The last place where you end the review must be your favorite. Is it the same zone where you started the Ghibli review?
No, both the locations are different.

Quote:
I feel that's because of the excess part sharing between this, XF, XE and the Land Rovers. The seats, steering, and the dash center make up almost half of JLR Class-B parts bin.
The expensive Range Rovers definitely use Class-A materials which are missing even in XJ.
True, but the same is going on in the German car stables as well.

Quote:
On a serious note, Jaguar Management must be very brave to launch F-Pace at such a high price bracket. Makes the Germans(and the LR's) feel a bargain. The 6 Cylinder variant would make the Yummy Porsche Macan a steal.
Lets wait and see if / how Jaguar pass on discounts of Brexit, Weakened Pound & GST effects in the coming weeks.
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 21:18   #9
BHPian

Quote:

- The Fuel tank Capacity is only 60L, even the XF sedan has a 66L fuel tank capacity.
- This 2L Ingenium Diesel engine is developed completely in-house by JLR & is codenamed the AJ200D.
- The Ingenium diesels are manufactured at the West Midlands in the UK. The plant has a capacity to manufacture 1 engine every 36 seconds.
- The 2L Ingenium diesel variant weighs aprox 110 kgs less than the 3L V6 counterpart.
What sort of fuel efficiency did you see on the trip? I'm guessing it was mostly highway, uphill & downhill both. Curious to know the real-world range.
carmayogi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 22:03   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmayogi View Post
What sort of fuel efficiency did you see on the trip? I'm guessing it was mostly highway, uphill & downhill both. Curious to know the real-world range.
Over the span of 3 days i got a FE of 10.5km/l.
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 23:03   #11
Senior - BHPian

Awesome review as always! and there are very few videos about the 2L F Pace. I'mm really interested to know about your opinion about the Engine refinement and NVH vs the German 2L diesels (The Audi, BMW, Mercs)

In terms of the positioning and strengths, it really mirrors what LR did with the Evoque, make a stunning design with Form over Function and price it for max profits(at least in India). I totally expect the prices to come down when the demand all over the world has slowed down to the levels of the supply capacity and then the Local CKD assembly would be a no brainer for Jaguar.

Also looking forward to the E-pace launching next month.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2017, 23:42   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Over the span of 3 days i got a FE of 10.5km/l.
I guess 600-700 km highway range on a 60 liter tank is not too bad for a big SUV. That said, I wonder why manufacturers constantly reduce fuel tank size in newer models. If I remember correctly, Swift diesel Gen 1,2,3 went from 45 to 42 to 37 with no change in the engine and slight reduction in weight.

For reference, BMW X3 = 67 liters, BMW X5 = 85 liters, Volvo XC90 = 71 liters, Mercedes GLE = 93 liters, so the Jag is definitely on the low end of the spectrum.

I have another question for you:
Jaguar F-Pace or Volvo XC 90?
Old 27th June 2017, 21:23   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Awesome review as always! and there are very few videos about the 2L F Pace. I'mm really interested to know about your opinion about the Engine refinement and NVH vs the German 2L diesels (The Audi, BMW, Mercs)
Thanks Agam ! Well in terms of refinement it should be on par with the Germans & their respective 2L 4cyl counterparts.

Quote:
In terms of the positioning and strengths, it really mirrors what LR did with the Evoque, make a stunning design with Form over Function and price it for max profits(at least in India). I totally expect the prices to come down when the demand all over the world has slowed down to the levels of the supply capacity and then the Local CKD assembly would be a no brainer for Jaguar.
Well said

Quote:
Also looking forward to the E-pace launching next month.
E Pace is already listed on the website, but i have no clue about it launching in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmayogi View Post
I guess 600-700 km highway range on a 60 liter tank is not too bad for a big SUV. That said, I wonder why manufacturers constantly reduce fuel tank size in newer models. If I remember correctly, Swift diesel Gen 1,2,3 went from 45 to 42 to 37 with no change in the engine and slight reduction in weight.

For reference, BMW X3 = 67 liters, BMW X5 = 85 liters, Volvo XC90 = 71 liters, Mercedes GLE = 93 liters, so the Jag is definitely on the low end of the spectrum.
^ Great info, thanks for sharing. Im sure the above data will help people in their buy decision.

Quote:
I have another question for you:
Jaguar F-Pace or Volvo XC 90?
Wow, thats a tough one ! I'd pick the F-Pace between the two if the 3L was available at the same price, if not then XC-90 is more car for the similar money.
karan561 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 00:21   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, thats a tough one ! I'd pick the F-Pace between the two if the 3L was available at the same price, if not then XC-90 is more car for the similar money.
It is a tough one! I drove the XC90 & V90 here in the US - simply blown away by the interior. Felt very comfortable within a few seconds. The Volvos do drive well, but not as well as Jag or BMW for that matter. Not that I am buying, but it's a tough decision for sure.
Old 30th June 2017, 22:21   #15
BHPian

I had the opportunity of experiencing one. Left unimpressed by the car. Seems like a raised hatchback , borrows a lot from the XF and priced near Audi Q7 lower trim. The engine is a mere 2L. The interiors wont impress at all for someone shopping in that price range. Maybe near 45-50 Lakh Ex Showroom this might be a good buy.
V12Doc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote