Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th August 2017, 23:04   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello

Congrats on the purchase and wishing you many many trouble free miles with this beauty. Once you get used to the driving dynamics of this car, you'll find it hard to let go of her.
vignesh.cv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2017, 23:50   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello

Update on AC:

After a long wait the AC was finally fixed. There were challenges with the replacement compressor. First, parts supplies were delayed due to GST-related issues. Second, the brand new Sanden compressor was found to be faulty after installation. Replacement under warranty meant a further week's delay. Anyway, got the car back today with the AC working well. Required VAG COM coding as well, and the new compressor had to be "learnt" by the ECU - which entailed driving it for at least 20 kms before the compressor started up. First time I've seen this sort of thing - apparently this is a feature in all post-2011 Skoda Lauras.

Update on Bluetooth:
The 9W7 BT kit was installed successfully at a nearby car audio shop recommended by a friend. I couldn't click any installation pics, but outlining the steps below:
- Opened up the HU and tested the BT kit, which included the BT module, mic and harness. Worked perfectly. In fact, I didn't have to do any VAG COM coding to see the BT phone menu in the Maxidot cluster as I had thought I would. Great! [actually not so great - will explain below**]
- Wiring the BT module wasn't easy as pulling the thick BT wiring loom behind the dash was tough. Wiring the mic was easier, routing it from the stock mic location in the map light cluster through the headliner, down the left A-pillar, through the side panel of the dash, behind the dash to the rear of the HU location. One casualty though, was the map light fixture frame - the installer had tried to pry the fitting open, and managed to crack and break one side of the frame. I had read about the proper way online (pop out the glass unit and then unscrew the fixture) but couldn't stop him in time. The frame was glued together and re-fitted. The crack is visible if you know where to look, but won't generally catch the eye. Will have to live with it.
- Fitted the BT module box behind the central console, accessed via the passenger-side footwell. Snug fit, with a foam padding, so no rattles so far. Avoided the stock location under the driver's seat as it involved more wiring and taking apart more panels.
- Didn't have a VAG COM handy so couldn't run a scan post install.

Car was given for AC compressor change the next day to Wagenwerkz. Even after installing the new compressor there were issues in starting it up. **A scan revealed a BCM error. The BT module had to be coded properly (telephone). Once done, things were fine.

Parking sensor issue

A weird issue popped up with the parking sensor after fitting the BT module. No clue if it is related. The left and right rear sensors were somehow interchanged on the head unit display. Another scan then revealed that the RHS rear sensor wasn't working. Needs to be replaced. I have ordered a replacement sensor (single piece) from Aliexpress. Hoping it will resolve the matter.

Feedback on the BT kit
It's an excellent upgrade. The 9W7 kit has allowed me to retain the stock HU and simply unlock a range of new features that were already built into the HU and maxidot cluster. No exposed wires, no aftermarket HU and I get to retain the excellent audio quality offered up by the Bolero + Skoda amp & speaker setup. Was listening to some rock today streamed off the phone (via Apple Music app) and it sounded really nice.

Some pics of the upgraded BT setup

Phone info and menu on Maxidot cluster:
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-bt1.jpg
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-bt2.jpg
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-bt3.jpg

BT Audio on head unit. Playing off iPhone Apple Music app. Great sound quality. Can pause, play, stop and change tracks via head unit directly. Can also use the steering wheel buttons to change tracks. Cool!
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-bt4.jpg

Audio info on Maxidot cluster:
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-bt5.jpg

Finally, a nice pic of the car after it came back. Note the exhaust tips!
Maroon 5! Pre-worshipped Skoda Laura L&K Rosso Brunello-ext11.jpg
razor4077 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote