Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2017, 19:17   #16
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Pune
Posts: 48
Thanked: 97 Times
Default Re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel

First of all, big congratulations the_skyliner.

After reading through your review, can't help but say that your attention to details is as good as that of BMW.

Those frame-less doors, corona rings look awesome on the car which is also high on practicality. Space created inside after folding the seats is quite envious. I particularly liked small details like soft lining inside the door pockets, placing of emergency/breakdown signboard, plastic inserts to close gaps under the hood - simple and cleaver engineering in such a sophisticated machine.

Wish you and your family happy miles!
yogesh.8984 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 19:57   #17
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,185
Thanked: 2,871 Times
Default Re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel

Congrats, this review mirrors an official review from TBHP, awesome attention to details

Will definitely help prospective customers decide given the detailed information you have posted here. Wish you many happy miles with your new acquisition.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th October 2017 at 20:07.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 20:00   #18
BHPian
 
sparky@home's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: KL08/KL46
Posts: 148
Thanked: 180 Times
Default Re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel

@the_skyliner : Congratulation your new drive, wishing you and your family many happy and wonderful mile munching on this wonderful machine.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 20:05   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 1,679 Times
Default Re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Even though we can not compare our roads to those in Europe one bit, a bimmer will still put a grin on driver's face each and every time. And for those who hate to be driven, this is the ultimate pleasure to derive from cars.
See what l-o-v-e does to you, Bimmers indeed induce such affinity and vibes that once you've experienced them, it is difficult to stray and a dealer like the one you have, adds the icing to the cake.

Congratulations on the purchasing the most sensible 3 Series around and wish you a long, trouble free and pleasurable motoring experience with the Bavarian beauty...!!!
n.devdath is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2017, 23:37   #20
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,673
Thanked: 2,059 Times
Default Re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel

Hearty congratulations @the_skyliner and family. Wish you all many safe and happy miles with this new addition.

It looks like there are a lot of party tricks in there. It would take a lot of parties if we start looking at even a couple each time around. Hint hint...

As for that rear picture, don't tell us that Sukiwa sir stood on the Daytona to click the pic while you and Manesh sir were the two other parts of the tripod
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 03:18   #21
BHPian
 
behaln's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DELHI
Posts: 155
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel

Awesome review of a great car. Good decision to change a BMW with another one. Many congratulations on that. Wishing you safe driving and happy mile munching.
behaln is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 09:28   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 150
Thanked: 72 Times
Default Re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel

First off, Congratulations the_skyliner on the acquisition of this beauty. She's such a looker in those angles you mentioned and Bimmer never fails to impress us with its signature design. As you mentioned, it is more the pictures narrating the story than the read (that goes down to deep depths of detail) that makes this thread a much entertaining one. Kudos and wishing you smiles of million miles with her in the days to come !
vvijay is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 09:50   #23
BHPian
 
slackyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 67
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel

Wow that was a passionate review of the 3GT. I specially loved the fantastic photographs and the GIFs. Great work and congratulations! Have a fantastic time driving your vehicle.
slackyboy is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 11:58   #24
BHPian
 
Sail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: DEL & CCU
Posts: 62
Thanked: 197 Times
Default Re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel

Congratulation the_skyliner on your purchase.

Wish you safe & happy miles ahead with her.

3GT is a serious highway cruiser. You wont feel any fatigue after hours of long drives with her.

Time for some coding now and I am not afraid to say, I envy the color , best for all M-Performance body accessories.

Best of luck & hope you are picking up BSI+BRI packages soon.

Cheers
Sail

Last edited by Sail : 14th October 2017 at 11:59.
Sail is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 12:45   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,769
Thanked: 2,942 Times
Default Re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel

Congratulations on the new car. Thanks for the detailed and passionate write up. Always nice to read reviews with beautiful pictures .

BMW as a brand has a lot of passionate followers. Just look at the number of active BMW forums and compare that to Merc and Audi forums and you'll know what I'm talking about. Something about the way they build cars and they way they connect with enthusiasts that makes it difficult for them to ditch the brand and I guess you are no different! You bought the car without a test drive!

I am surprised they have provided an electric tailgate but skimped on cruise control! The latter would have been more useful for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
The gear lever is amazing. It is ergonomically well placed as well as it is fun to use in tip ironic mode. I personally do not like the "P" button on the gear lever. What will happen if someone presses it accidentally at high speeds? I still prefer this over the one in Merc. At least it is placed where it is supposed to and not on the steering column.
I am pretty sure the 'P' button is electronically disabled at anything above crawling speeds.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 15:10   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,646
Thanked: 597 Times
Default Re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel

Lovely write up of a beautiful car . Thanks a lot for sharing such a detailed ownership report. This would help me when I would buy my next pre-worshiped car
neoonwheels is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 20:44   #27
BHPian
 
asit.kulkarni93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune/ Bahrain
Posts: 566
Thanked: 581 Times
Default Re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel

Congratulations sir!

The 3GT offers the perfect balance between fun and practicality. Those frameless doors look amazing. Btw could you post a pic of the side profile with the spoiler on?

Have fun clocking miles!
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 23:02   #28
BHPian
 
the_skyliner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 458
Thanked: 609 Times
Default Re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Thread moved out from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section).

Thanks for sharing this awesome report!
Thank you for the quick approval!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Congratulations @the_skyliner. Thanks for sharing the review with animated gifs that depict the car's features so well.

Here's wishing you & your family many happy and safe journeys in the car.
Thanks, R2D2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Was completely glued from first letter S till d:
Excellent write-up and some awesome pictures, esp. liked the GIFs rather than youtube videos.
The navigation screen is that small or will protrude more?
What other colors are available on the GT?
Thanks for your kind words, dre@ms!
The navigation uses full screen.

Like this:
What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel-img_4579.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_jo View Post
Big congratulations for acquiring this beast of a car. Although I am a big 3 series fan. However, The GT commands that extra "LOOK AT ME I AM DIFFERENT" factor on the roads.

This definitely turns a lot more heads than most other BMW's. Wishing you many brilliant and joyful miles with this beast.
Thanks, rahul_jo!

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmayogi View Post
To my relatively trained eyes, that just looks like a bit of engine oil that may have spilled when they were filling the car either in the factory or topping it off at the dealership. Don't think it is anything of importance.
Not so sure about it as it was not sticky and neither it had that peculiar smell. Anyways, we just were curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmayogi View Post
I too love the 3 GT as it's the only one, for me at least, between the C, A4 & XE that offers luxury rear with driver focused front/driving characteristics. I converted an uncle of mine from a C220 CDI to the 3GT and he is very very happy with it. He drives the weekends and does his daily commute from the backseat on the weekdays.
Glad to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Ranger View Post
Congrats! The pictures are lovely and cover so many of the finer details. Which location were the pictures taken? The second picture is especially good! I was always under the impression that the ride quality of the mercs was plusher than those of the beemers, while the beemers aced the mercs when it came to driving feel. Mind you, I've driven neither of the marquees, so this is purely my theoretical understanding
Thanks for your kind words, Lone Ranger!

Two locations we used: first is approach road to Oxford golf course & second is somewhere near Lavasa.

You are right. The ride quality of Merc is definitely better than 3GT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Congrats! Beautifully written with extreme detailing. Add to that brilliant images from Sukiwa. GT looks very imposing no doubt.
Mercedes CLA has the same feature. It could be a standard safety feature for frame-less door.
Thanks, Rudra Sen. Comment from you on photos is like mission accomplished!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverX View Post
Heartiest congratulations on acquiring the 3-GT, sir. It's indeed a mean machine, sort of like a compact shark. The raised rear section and stubby boot lend it a profile like few else. That's an extremely engaging report, and your explanatory GIFs were just a treat to watch!
Thanks for your kind words, RoverX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverX View Post
It's pretty appalling to know that the Mercedes dealership had such a cold attitude towards the prospective buyer.
In short, the experience was uninspiring and somewhat unwelcoming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverX View Post
You've rightly pointed out, it's a LOT of beige in here, especially when compared to the other Bimmers that get the beige treatment inside. I wish the pillars were black, at least. Also, wasn't there an all-black option to choose?
Our earlier car was all-black and so we wanted beige this time. Saddle brown too looked little dull in 3GT. Looks great in G30 though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverX View Post
I seem to be missing something here; kindly help me out. The obstruction in the reversing camera is on the right, but the parking sensor display is showing warnings on the rear left. Isn't it supposed to be on the right?
Great observation. I have no clue how it is showing it mirrored. May be something to do with the image processing? Will check it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh.8984 View Post
First of all, big congratulations the_skyliner.

After reading through your review, can't help but say that your attention to details is as good as that of BMW.

Those frame-less doors, corona rings look awesome on the car which is also high on practicality. Space created inside after folding the seats is quite envious. I particularly liked small details like soft lining inside the door pockets, placing of emergency/breakdown signboard, plastic inserts to close gaps under the hood - simple and cleaver engineering in such a sophisticated machine.

Wish you and your family happy miles!
Thanks a lot, yogesh.8984! Yes, it definitely is a practical yet good looking and fun car.

By the way, there is another post coming up with the lights and some other bits which I couldn't put together in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Congrats, this review mirrors an official review from TBHP, awesome attention to details

Will definitely help prospective customers decide given the detailed information you have posted here. Wish you many happy miles with your new acquisition.
Thanks for your kind words, Turbanator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky@home View Post
@the_skyliner : Congratulation your new drive, wishing you and your family many happy and wonderful mile munching on this wonderful machine.
Thanks, sparky@home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
See what l-o-v-e does to you, Bimmers indeed induce such affinity and vibes that once you've experienced them, it is difficult to stray and a dealer like the one you have, adds the icing to the cake.

Congratulations on the purchasing the most sensible 3 Series around and wish you a long, trouble free and pleasurable motoring experience with the Bavarian beauty...!!!
Totally, agree! And thanks for your wishes, n.devdath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Hearty congratulations @the_skyliner and family. Wish you all many safe and happy miles with this new addition.
Thank you, selfdrive sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
It looks like there are a lot of party tricks in there. It would take a lot of parties if we start looking at even a couple each time around. Hint hint...
Then we better get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
As for that rear picture, don't tell us that Sukiwa sir stood on the Daytona to click the pic while you and Manesh sir were the two other parts of the tripod
Absolutely, spot on! And our tripod was not exactly stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by behaln View Post
Awesome review of a great car. Good decision to change a BMW with another one. Many congratulations on that. Wishing you safe driving and happy mile munching.
Thanks, behaln!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
First off, Congratulations the_skyliner on the acquisition of this beauty. She's such a looker in those angles you mentioned and Bimmer never fails to impress us with its signature design. As you mentioned, it is more the pictures narrating the story than the read (that goes down to deep depths of detail) that makes this thread a much entertaining one. Kudos and wishing you smiles of million miles with her in the days to come !
Thanks a lot, vvijay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackyboy View Post
Wow that was a passionate review of the 3GT. I specially loved the fantastic photographs and the GIFs. Great work and congratulations! Have a fantastic time driving your vehicle.
Thanks for your kind words, slackyboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Congratulation the_skyliner on your purchase.

Wish you safe & happy miles ahead with her.

3GT is a serious highway cruiser. You wont feel any fatigue after hours of long drives with her.
Thanks, Sail!

Yes, it is a serious cruiser. Did 800 kms trip over a weekend and didn't feel tired at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail View Post
Time for some coding now and I am not afraid to say, I envy the color , best for all M-Performance body accessories.

Best of luck & hope you are picking up BSI+BRI packages soon.

Cheers
Sail
Coding and M-Performance is in pipeline.

For now, have taken extended warranty for 3rd year but will get 6 years warranty done. May not get the BSI as I don't find it as VFM as extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Congratulations on the new car. Thanks for the detailed and passionate write up. Always nice to read reviews with beautiful pictures .

BMW as a brand has a lot of passionate followers. Just look at the number of active BMW forums and compare that to Merc and Audi forums and you'll know what I'm talking about. Something about the way they build cars and they way they connect with enthusiasts that makes it difficult for them to ditch the brand and I guess you are no different! You bought the car without a test drive!
Thanks, Santoshbhat! Totally agree with you about the brand following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I am surprised they have provided an electric tailgate but skimped on cruise control! The latter would have been more useful for sure.
For me the former is more useful. I somehow don't like to use cruise control at all. Had an Octy for over 2 years but never used it's cruise control function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I am pretty sure the 'P' button is electronically disabled at anything above crawling speeds.
Got to confirm this. Do not have courage to try it instead will ask BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Lovely write up of a beautiful car . Thanks a lot for sharing such a detailed ownership report. This would help me when I would buy my next pre-worshiped car
Thanks, neoonwheels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Congratulations sir!

The 3GT offers the perfect balance between fun and practicality. Those frameless doors look amazing. Btw could you post a pic of the side profile with the spoiler on?

Have fun clocking miles!
Thanks, asit. Forgot to mention but your advice too was a factor is going for 3GT. You had suggested it even before I started looking out for 320d replacement.
the_skyliner is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 08:24   #29
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,474
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default Re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel

Congratulations on your new ride. That is one quick and bold upgrade. Didn't you lose a lot of money on the 3 series? I would love to share hear the maths behind this upgrade. It might tempt other 3 series users to got he same way .

3GT is sort of a niche vehicle and quite high of practicality. At the same time those frameless doors, the active rear spoiler and the other party tricks would ensure that it always stays a head turner.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 09:11   #30
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,468
Thanked: 87,317 Times
Default Re: What do you replace a Bimmer with? Another Bimmer! My BMW 3-Series GT Diesel

Outstanding review that will greatly help others sitting on the fence, thanks for sharing! Truly appreciate the neutral opinion, enjoyable writing style & sheer attention-to-detail . It's lit up our homepage this lazy weekend before Diwali.

This is perhaps the most practical BMW in that price range. Wish you many years of pleasurable driving & ownership with her. Request: Please don't change cars every 3 - 4 years; too early . Hope you plan to keep the GT for longer.

Suggestions:

1. Take the 6-year extended warranty right away. Trust me, it'll pay for itself over the years.

2. Don't upgrade to 19" rims. Only advantage is looks, but the downsides are many (stiffer ride, more expensive tyre costs, wheel + rims become prone to damage).

This dealer of yours sure gives a sweet number-plate style. Have seen many (and only) Pune BMWs with these plates. Love them.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bimmer 3 Series hits 40 years dark.knight The International Automotive Scene 7 16th July 2015 17:26
Volvo S60 instrument console failed. Repair or replace? Volvo to replace under Goodwill! jfxavier Technical Stuff 26 13th January 2015 10:49
JOY is BMW, Simple! Welcome my 320d exclusive edition Bimmer to our Team-BHP family rishi_kapoor Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 69 16th June 2014 10:33
BMW 5 series GT (progressive activity sedan) revealed-another unconventional BMW sidindica The International Automotive Scene 37 3rd July 2009 14:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks