Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2017, 23:05   #61
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,488
Thanked: 3,908 Times
Default re: My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) Project Car - Build Thread! EDIT: Cooling system update & short shifter

Quote:
The material selected was a Alcantara style micro suede fabric
Looks very nice, did you got this colored or did it just lost the blackishness on the first photo?

BTW, did you consider this same fabric for your Fortuner as well? I think the stock one is horrible.

Last edited by Turbanator : 13th October 2017 at 23:08.
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 15:29   #62
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 10,062 Times
Default re: My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) Project Car - Build Thread! EDIT: Cooling system update & short shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Looks very nice, did you got this colored or did it just lost the blackishness on the first photo?
Thanks, well in broad daylight it looks like the darkest of grey but in shade / evening / night it looks black. This is how the fabric is, did not colour it to achieve the end result

Quote:
BTW, did you consider this same fabric for your Fortuner as well
No.
karan561 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 17:44   #63
BHPian
 
jalajprakash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delhi/Jaipur
Posts: 216
Thanked: 507 Times
Default re: My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) Project Car - Build Thread! EDIT: Cooling system update & short shifter

For the amount of parts you swapped over from the donor car, would it not have made sense for you to just buy the 328i from the owner and swap in your manual transmission? And give the empty shell 318i to the owner of the 328i so he can do a full M3 swap with supporting parts? Anyhow, the swap is already done and looks pretty nice! Congrats on the car! Will watch the video when I get home.
jalajprakash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2017, 21:13   #64
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 10,062 Times
Default My 2001 BMW 3-Series (E46) Project Car - Build Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
For the amount of parts you swapped over from the donor car, would it not have made sense for you to just buy the 328i from the owner and swap in your manual transmission? And give the empty shell 318i to the owner of the 328i so he can do a full M3 swap with supporting parts? Anyhow, the swap is already done and looks pretty nice! Congrats on the car! Will watch the video when I get home.

Thanks Jalajprakash,

Well firstly that 328i wasnt for sale, but only the engine was. Also that was a ‘coupe’ & im not really sure how viable your suggestion would have been considering mine is a sedan.

More details in the video

Last edited by karan561 : 14th October 2017 at 21:16.
karan561 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 14:22   #65
BHPian
 
jalajprakash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delhi/Jaipur
Posts: 216
Thanked: 507 Times
Default re: My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) Project Car - Build Thread! EDIT: Cooling system update & short shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Thanks Jalajprakash,

Well firstly that 328i wasnt for sale, but only the engine was. Also that was a ‘coupe’ & im not really sure how viable your suggestion would have been considering mine is a sedan.

More details in the video
Just saw the video. The 328i owner wanting to retain the coupe body shape for his M3 swap makes sense. If both were the same body shape then maybe swapping the cars and the transmissions would be easier for both parties.

Your car sounds pretty nice too!
jalajprakash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 15:59   #66
NH7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Hyderabad/ BLR
Posts: 33
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Congrats on a successful engine swap, Karan. In the real world,I believe you couldn't have got better than a 25k run M52TUB28, that too locally. Since your coolant system is also now effectively 25k old, that known gremlin is also taken care of. Double Vanos failures/ unsuccessful rebuilds are also a known and common problem with this engine family, hope you are covered on that front.
Love your project goal of deriving max driving pleasure, rather than top speed or say 350+HP via the supercharged route. This car is so tight, nimble and beautiful, there is so much more fun to be had, than just blasting down a straight. Attaching a pic of my e46 320i Msport if you don't mind.
NH7 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2017, 14:56   #67
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 10,062 Times
Default re: My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) Project Car - Build Thread! EDIT: Cooling system update & short shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalajprakash View Post
Your car sounds pretty nice too!
Yes it does

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH7 View Post
Congrats on a successful engine swap, Karan. In the real world,I believe you couldn't have got better than a 25k run M52TUB28, that too locally.
Thanks !

Quote:
Since your coolant system is also now effectively 25k old, that known gremlin is also taken care of.
But still i will be doing a rebuild of the entire cooling system with new parts (hoses, fan, radiator etc) as its highly recommended for a 15+ year old car.

Quote:
Love your project goal of deriving max driving pleasure, rather than top speed or say 350+HP via the supercharged route. This car is so tight, nimble and beautiful, there is so much more fun to be had, than just blasting down a straight.
Yes, driving pleasure is the ultimate goal hence will be focussing on suspension, brakes etc...

Quote:
Attaching a pic of my e46 320i Msport if you don't mind.
Seems you forgot to attach the pic.

Last edited by Jaggu : 18th October 2017 at 17:25. Reason: Fixing Quotes. Thanks.
karan561 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2017, 23:19   #68
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 10,062 Times
Default OE Short Throw Shiter + Gearbox Rebuild Kit Arrive.

Car Parts Arrived

My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) Project Car - Build Thread! Update: KW Coilovers, StopTech BBK installed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1509730439.304718.jpg

Kit includes a BMW OE Short shift kit & the famous goose-neck ZHP Weighted Shift Knob;

My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) Project Car - Build Thread! Update: KW Coilovers, StopTech BBK installed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1509730573.803239.jpg

^ Its unbelievable that BMW had such an short throw kit as OE (comes with a official BMW part number) for the E46.

Gearbox rebuild kit (Bushings, Shifter Rod joints, Washers, Bearings etc) to get back the precise gearshift quality

My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) Project Car - Build Thread! Update: KW Coilovers, StopTech BBK installed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1509730558.071221.jpg

Last edited by karan561 : 3rd November 2017 at 23:40.
karan561 is online now   (22) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 13:10   #69
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 10,062 Times
Default

A picture clicked at one of our last German Car meets @ BKC;

My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) Project Car - Build Thread! Update: KW Coilovers, StopTech BBK installed-imageuploadedbyteambhp1510126752.530422.jpg
karan561 is online now   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 20:02   #70
BHPian
 
VKumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: NCR
Posts: 342
Thanked: 1,443 Times
Default re: My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) Project Car - Build Thread! EDIT: Cooling system update & short shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
A picture clicked at one of our last German Car meets @ BKC;

Attachment 1693904
Any hardcore engine modifications planned?
Any external mods planned? Every time I check your thread, I am always like "Man, this guy can make an NFS BMW M3 GTR type car out of it".
VKumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2017, 20:06   #71
v12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
v12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6,041
Thanked: 3,823 Times
Default re: My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) Project Car - Build Thread! EDIT: Cooling system update & short shifter

The current state looks very clean and elegant. My suggestion would be to go for a good set of BBS alloys, an M3 front bumper and an M3 CSL boot
Attached Images
 

Last edited by v12 : 8th November 2017 at 20:10.
v12 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 03:38   #72
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: London
Posts: 84
Thanked: 409 Times
Default re: My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) Project Car - Build Thread! EDIT: Cooling system update & short shifter

Nice project!

I have played with the E46 a little.

I owned an early (2000) 330 coupe, 5 speed manual with lots of options and some AC Schnitzer bits. Nice car, very competent, but perhaps a bit bland. The E36 328 was more of a drivers car in some ways. The drive by wire throttle and lack of LSD hampers the E46 a bit.

I also helped a friend do a ground up build on an E46 M3. We built one good one from 2 in bits, and converted from SMG to manual.

They are quite good to work on for a fairly modern car - much nicer than many others the same age.
Rob UK is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 14:17   #73
BHPian
 
gururajrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: KA 01-09
Posts: 269
Thanked: 382 Times
Default re: My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) Project Car - Build Thread! EDIT: Cooling system update & short shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
A picture clicked at one of our last German Car meets @ BKC;

Attachment 1693904
Hi Karan - firstly congrats on this immaculate swap and build.

Secondly, for swapping an automatic to fit your manual, were there any mods or tweaks done to the engine to accommodate the manual gearing because its DNA had auto since inception? I’m not sure if my question is being put across correctly.

75% increase in power is just explosive I can say

Any remap done post the installation to the ECU to exploit its explosive potential further?
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 21:14   #74
Distinguished - BHPian
 
karan561's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,889
Thanked: 10,062 Times
Default My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) Project Car - Build Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKumar View Post
Any hardcore engine modifications planned?

Any external mods planned? Every time I check your thread, I am always like "Man, this guy can make an NFS BMW M3 GTR type car out of it".

No hardcore engine mods planned now. As i stated earlier ProjectE46 is in quest for driving pleasure & not speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The current state looks very clean and elegant. My suggestion would be to go for a good set of BBS alloys, an M3 front bumper and an M3 CSL boot
Hey v12,

Only in pics the car looks clean, but once you see the car in flesh it does require a repaint. Once the mechanical upgrades are in only then i will divert my attention to the cosmetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob UK View Post
Nice project!

I have played with the E46 a little.

I owned an early (2000) 330 coupe, 5 speed manual with lots of options and some AC Schnitzer bits. Nice car, very competent, but perhaps a bit bland. The E36 328 was more of a drivers car in some ways. The drive by wire throttle and lack of LSD hampers the E46 a bit.
Hey thanks Rob, i personally prefer the e46 over the looks of the e36. Regarding Driver engagement im not sure as i have never driven an e36 but im currently satisfied with the driver connect i am getting driving the e46 compared to any modern BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Hi Karan - firstly congrats on this immaculate swap and build.

Secondly, for swapping an automatic to fit your manual, were there any mods or tweaks done to the engine to accommodate the manual gearing because its DNA had auto since inception? I’m not sure if my question is being put across correctly.

75% increase in power is just explosive I can say

Any remap done post the installation to the ECU to exploit its explosive potential further?

Hey Gururaj, thanks for the wishes.

The transmission was a bolt to bolt fitment with the new engine. Regarding tuning of ECU to blend with the new transmission it was not needed/necessary but we will do it eventually.

Last edited by karan561 : 10th November 2017 at 21:31.
karan561 is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2017, 21:41   #75
Senior - BHPian
 
S2!!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,824
Thanked: 9,244 Times
Default re: My 2001 BMW 328i (E46) Project Car - Build Thread! EDIT: Cooling system update & short shifter

What a fascinating project Karan! Many congratulations for the car as well as the successful engine and transmission swap . Glad that you aren't planning to go overboard with the modifications on this car. I'm pretty sure the engine swap would feed your need for speed. One suggestion though, please keep the cosmetic mods limited and subtle. Would love to check her out in person sometime, give me a shout when you're heading for a zombie drive or something.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st-gen Honda City: Adjustable Coilovers, Raceconcepts intake + exhaust and more bhuvan_prasad Modifications & Accessories 15 15th January 2015 20:02
Issues with Coilovers fre2bpowerless Modifications & Accessories 4 23rd December 2011 00:48
KW coilovers for my Octavia RS!! vrspower Modifications & Accessories 1 26th April 2011 19:26
lowering coilovers & suspension kit dharmana Modifications & Accessories 2 29th November 2009 14:37
D2 coilovers on a civic surfatwork Modifications & Accessories 1 19th January 2009 16:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:39.

Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks