Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th December 2017, 17:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Wink First one on Team-BHP: Tata Tigor XZA (AMT)

Dear all,

It gives me immense pleasure to announce our new car - The Tata Tigor XZA.

Background on purchase:

I owned the Hyundai Xcent 1.2 petrol S model purchased through company lease in April 2014. I believe it was from the initial batches of the car as it had been launched recently then.

The car had served us well for these 3.5 years, except for a strange issue which cropped up right before I was about to sell it (alternate belt snapped off while driving).

The reason to start looking for new car:

1. I needed an automatic or an AMT at least, to beat the ever maddening city traffic and my better half also would need an AT/AMT for ease of driving.

2. The Xcent's lease period had expired so fresh lease was anyway needed to continue enjoy the benefits of employer provided leasing.

3. One of the things I always missed in the Xcent was the presence of safety features. The model S which I owned did not come with either Airbags or ABS. Somehow this factor always played onto my mind negatively.

4. Spoilt by Xcent's 407 ltr boot space, I needed my next car to have the boot to be at least as spacious if not better.

5. Hyundai's cost of after sales and service irked me to no end. Labour charges were very high, and service advisers would add unnecessary work in paid service to achieve their targets. So wanted to move away from Hyundai.

The shortlists:

I always wanted a compact sedan. In my view they provide a good value for money specially the ones with big boot. I do not care about "status" of a 3 box and it is not at all the reason to prefer a CS over a hatchback or premium hatchback.

So the only contenders were Hyundai Xcent AT, Maruti DZIre AMT and Tata Tigor AMT.

Hyundai was out rightly rejected because I had already owned the Xcent manual and the novelty factor was missing. Besides, I am doing ne with Hyundai's expensive after sales anyway.

Next up was the DZire.

DZire VXi although around 50k more than the Tigor AMT, falls short on many features like a much smaller boot, absence of Sport mode, a very basic ICE (compared to Tigor's superb system), steel wheels, and most importantly, very long waiting periods.

In November this year, TATA silently launched the Tigor AMT in XTA and XZA variants. The car ticked most boxes for me, booked one XZA in the smashing espresso brown colour.

Price breakup(minus insurance and registration which is taken care of by employer in case of lease):

Ex showroom: 622000
AMC: 7939
Extended warranty for 2 years: 9444
Corp discount: 2000
Free accessories: Floor mats, mud flaps, door visors, chrome door handles, divinity, perfume
Paid accessory: art leather seat covers

Driving experience:

The AMT unit on the Tigor is the same as that in Tiago. Infact, i never got to test drive the Tigor AMT before purchase, i was provided with a Tiago AMT for the demo.

AMT driving instructions are available on the Driver side door:

First one on Team-BHP: Tata Tigor XZA (AMT)-amt.jpg

Crank up the engine and the ignition noise is rather similar to a Diesel engine than a petrol. However, things settle down quickly. But compared to the Xcent, the refinement of the Tigor is not a match. There are slight vibrations too felt at lower speeds and while taking off from 1st. However, its something that you get used to rather quickly.

The car comes with two mode -> City and Sport. Unlike the manual counterparts - which come in Eco and City modes.

For the run-in period (first 1800 - 2000 kms or so), i would mostly be using City mode The throttle response in City mode (the default mode) is rather sedate. Things can get a bit irritating while the gearbox takes its own sweet time to shift from 1st to 2nd. But the shifts thereafter are better. Point worth noticing is that in city mode i did not find the notorious Head Nod associated with AMT units to be noticeable. Its only when you focus your attention you notice gear shifts.

The overall sound insulation is acceptable and contrary to popular opinion, i did not find the engine noise to be too much intrusive, although its no match for the Hyundai's Kappa2 unit or Maruti's k12.

Things get much better and driving becomes more enjoyable when Sport mode is selected on the box. The car holds on to each gear longer, and throttle response in general seems much better. After the run-in period, i would mostly use the Sport mode in city driving. One drawback of Sport mode is that Head nod is more noticeable in this mode.

On an open road though, i am beginning to have a liking for the "Manual" mode. The car feels much quicker in this mode than the boring City mode Auto, and shifting through + and - for upshifts and downshifts respectively can be a joy to use if you get the hang of it. Although, the downshifts happen automatically if the revvs fall too low, so one needs to keep and eye on the current gear indicator on the MID so that one does not miss to upshift (as upshifts don't seem to happen automatically at higher revvs).

The ride quality is much improved over my older Xcent which used to feel quite bouncy. At slow speeds potholes are dismissed without much fuss in the Tigor, without delivering the shocks to the passengers. I still however feel that the Tiago with 14 inch wheels rides even better with lesser firmness.

Fuel Efficiency:

The MID displays a bar graph for instantaneous fuel efficiency as well as average fuel efficiency. The Instantaneous fuel efficiency graph is a good way to judge the driving and one can alter his/her driving style based on the reading. The average fuel efficiency is hovering around 17 for now, in purely city driving and AC on 70% of the time. I do think that the MID is over optimistic though.

Name:  WhatsApp Image 20171212 at 10.42.23 AM.jpeg
Views: 4417
Size:  83.2 KB

However, i would only comment on FE once run-in is over and using Tankful to Tankful method.

Build Quality and interiors:

Having owned an Xcent before, i would say the quality of plastics used inside the cabin matches that of Xcent, except for the lower part of the dashboard, which is in light grey colour. The lower part plastic quality feels like from the earstwhile Maruti Alto.

Elsewhere though, there are hardly any rough edges, and the chrome finished door handles and glossy AC vents look good:

First one on Team-BHP: Tata Tigor XZA (AMT)-chrome.jpg

The Cabin light is in white LED, unlike the boring yellow of some cars. Also notice in this picture, what TATA calls "Premium kitted roof liner".

First one on Team-BHP: Tata Tigor XZA (AMT)-led.jpg

However, there are some visible panel gaps, like the Glovebox lid which does not seem to be properly aligned in closed position. But i can forgive TATA for such small errors.

The doors are heavy and there is a reassuring feel to it which was missing in the Xcent. There is no "reassuring thud" like Skoda/Volkswagen, but it does come close, and feels much solid than tinny Marutis and Hyundais.

The quality of paint looks top notch and there is hardly any reason to complain.

Driving position, ergonomics, controls & MID

The driving position on the Tigor, is such that one gets a commanding view of the road ahead, even with the seat base at the lowest position. Although personally i would have liked the seat height adjust to go even lower like Xcent. The controls though, fall easily on hand and together with height adjustable steering wheel, finding a good driving position is easy.

The controls do feel durable, specially the manual air conditioner rotary knobs, which have a solid feel to them and make a clicking sound on turning.

The MID has most of the important information available for the driver, including two trip meters, Distance to empty, average Fuel efficiency and Instantaneous fuel efficiency indicator, outside temperature display.

There is also option to change the illumination for the instrument cluster and the Harman head unit via the MID controls.

Other than the MID, there are controls for central locking, follow me home headlamps on the Harman head unit.

The steering wheel feels the right size:

First one on Team-BHP: Tata Tigor XZA (AMT)-steering.jpg

Safety & related equipment

The Tigor XZA variant comes with Dual airbags, ABS , EBD with Corner stability control as the most important safety features.
Although it seems that the Tiago/Tigor platform has not yet been tested by NCAP for safety, some recent real crash reports involving Tiago and Tigor did praise the occupant safety and overall structural strength, like the link below:

https://www.rushlane.com/tata-tiago-...-12250589.html

Wheels and tyres:

The XZA variant comes with 15 inch diamond cut alloy wheels. Lower variants get 14 inch wheels.

Mine are Bridgestone, though would have preferred Goodyear or Michellin's. The alloys design is eye catching and gel well with the overall look of the car.

Interior Space and comfort

Based on the Tiago, the interior space of the Tigor is adequate for 4 adults and 1 child. However, seating 5 adults in the rear seat can be an issue. To be honest, the overall interior space, specially the legroom at the rear, is lesser than the DZire or even the Xcent.

One issue i faced with the front seats is that even at the lowest position, the driver seat still felt quite high. Perhaps the seat height adjust travel could have been longer.

On the positive side, the cabin has plenty of cubbyholes to keep knick knacks, including two 12V power sockets and plenty of cup/water bottle holders.

Overall Impressions

What I liked in the Tigor XZA:

1. Comes with good set of safety features for the segment including dual front Airbags and ABS.

2. Humongous boot is even bigger than some cross overs and pseudo SUVs. I know it's not a fair comparison, but in terms of sheer practicality, it's a big thumbs up.

3. The dual mode AMT is not as jerky as I expected. Infact, in city mode the head nod is minimum. Only when you push things and in a hurry, or use the Sport mode, slight head nod is felt.

4. The creep function is a boon in bumper to bumper city traffic.

5. Did I say the car looks smashing? It's already a head Turner and the espresso brown colour suits it a lot.

6. Brilliant 15 inch alloys wheels.

7. Interiors with piano black and chrome finishes has a premium feel.

8. The 6 speaker Harman ICE sounds top class! The bass is specially good. I will explore the possibility of adding tweeters to rear doors as well in future, to make the experience even more enthralling. Note that the XZ(o) model comes with rear tweeters as well, but there is no option of AMT in XZ(O).

9. Frankly, on a light foot I did not find engine sound to be intrusive, as suggested in some reviews. Things do get a bit throaty when it's pushed hard.

10. Small things like premium knitted roof liner, boot cladding, soft touch opening glove box, ticket holder etc. Add to the overall positive experience.

What I don't:

1. The bite of the brakes is not as sharp as the Xcent. Will take some getting used to.

2. It's a bit difficult to find a good driving position. The seat base is quite high even at the lowest position.

3. The AMTs response in City mode leaves a bit to be desired specially if you are in a hurry. There is a slight lag shifting from 1st to 2nd too. Although I must add that Sport mode makes the driving a lot more enjoyable. The manual mode gives a lot more control too.

4. 6 month service interval is not done, TATA.

5. Niggles. It's a TATA, so I am prepared for a niggle or two as long as it's not very serious. I already hear a feeble rattle from the front driver right side window top. Some wires beneath the rubber beading need to be tightened or fixed with tape I am told. Will be done on 1st service.

All in all, the driving experience has been a big change from the days of manual transmission for me. The left leg is completely at ease, and bumper to bumper traffic is not too tiring now. With the superb ICE, one can enjoy good music and relaxed driving with this car.

Some random pics:

First one on Team-BHP: Tata Tigor XZA (AMT)-img_20171208_131235.jpg

First one on Team-BHP: Tata Tigor XZA (AMT)-img_20171209_120207.jpg

First one on Team-BHP: Tata Tigor XZA (AMT)-img_20171209_120211.jpg

First one on Team-BHP: Tata Tigor XZA (AMT)-img_20171209_121013.jpg

First one on Team-BHP: Tata Tigor XZA (AMT)-img_20171209_121027_01_01.jpg

First one on Team-BHP: Tata Tigor XZA (AMT)-img_20171209_121109_01_01.jpg

Last edited by DCEite : 15th December 2017 at 21:19.
DCEite is offline   (29) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2017, 10:37   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: First one on Team-BHP: Tata Tigor XZA (AMT)

Thread moved from the Assembly Line (The "Assembly Line" Forum section) to the Initial Ownership Section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2017, 11:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Dear all,

It gives me immense pleasure to announce our new car - The Tata Tigor XZA.
Wonderful and crisp review. Congrats on the new buy and wish you a lot of stress-free and happy miles. The car looks swell in this color and the alloys look great.
Can you please provide your feedback on the performance of the projector headlamps of Tigor? Is it adequate for night driving?
srvm is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2017, 11:23   #4
BHPian

Congrats on your buy! The Tiago twins are a really attractive package & AMT makes it even more so. Currently I drive dad’s Xcent, but whenever I decide to purchase my own car, Tata showroom will be the first I will visit.

I would like to know more about the engine performance itself, specially in comparison with Xcent as you have driven one. Also did you notice any difference in refinement of Tiago which you had for TD and your Tigor? Tigor is said to have balancer shaft which gives better refinement than Tiago.

Hoping to read more of your experience as you munch miles!
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2017, 11:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Congrats on your buy! The Tiago twins are a really attractive package & AMT makes it even more so. Currently I drive dad’s Xcent, but whenever I decide to purchase my own car, Tata showroom will be the first I will visit.

I would like to know more about the engine performance itself, specially in comparison with Xcent as you have driven one. Also did you notice any difference in refinement of Tiago which you had for TD and your Tigor? Tigor is said to have balancer shaft which gives better refinement than Tiago.

Hoping to read more of your experience as you munch miles!
Thank you!

Engine performance per se feels better than the Xcent specially the lower end. The in city driving is quite good in Manual or Sport mode, but in City mode (the default AT mode) - things do get a bit sluggish, since the gearbox up shifts too soon to keep fuel efficiency figures high.

Regarding refinement, i am afraid that although its better than the Tiago, still some vibrations are felt specially when taking off from lower speeds at higher RPMs. Its never too annoying, but you do notice them. It cannot be compared to Xcent or Dzire's superb refinement levels at all, but does better than most 3 cylinder hatchbacks in the market.
DCEite is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2018, 10:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

Update on Fuel efficiency figures:

The car has done almost 1000 kms so far, and the fuel efficiency as calculated by tankful to tankful method is around 15.5 kmpl mostly in City Mode.

I would say this is not bad at all for an Automatic (ugh AMT) in Delhi NCR city traffic. AC is also on most of the times (around 70%).

One thing i learnt for achieving good fuel efficiency figures - and thanks to the instantaneous fuel efficiency bar - is to let go of the accelerator when approaching a roundabout/junction/stop. One can see the instantaneous fuel efficiency bar reaching full level in that case - indicating that this driving style saves a lot of fuel and helps achieve good overall fuel efficiency figures. Note that i am not advocating putting the car to neutral before stops - it should never be done, and in the AMT its a big NO!

A note about the Manual Mode on the Tigor AMT. The car is much more fun to drive in the Manual mode, at the cost of Fuel efficiency figures which obviously will be lesser because in City mode the gearbox upshifts quite early. In the manual mode though, the in-gear acceleration seems very good and its actually better than Hyundai Kappa2 motor. TATA motors certainly seem to have done a good job fine tuning this engine for city driving.
DCEite is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2018, 22:16   #7
BHPian

Can you pls share how's the top end performance of the engine?
Dieselritzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2018, 15:43   #8
BHPian

Congratulations DCEite on your new possession. Wish you a long term comfortable ownership. Hope you are enjoying the best in class Harman Kardon music system.

I myself own a Tiago XZA (AMT) dec,2017 and I would say Tata has done a pretty good job with exterior, interior and features. I would not say the quality is top notch but for sure its a major improvement from the Indica era.

What different i see on Tigor center console compared to Tiago is
- Tigor has a rear boot opening electric button (Next to fog lamp button) which is missing on Tiago
- 12V outlet on Tigor has a chrome lining (?) and text written. Tiago has just a black plastic cap.
Rest looks the same in both.

I also see 71km on your ODO. Was the picture taken after delivery or car was delivered to you with these kms?

I hope Tata CRM will take care of us well and keep their customers happy.

-UB
UB_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2018, 11:44   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats DCEite!

Quote:
5. Hyundai's cost of after sales and service irked me to no end. Labour charges were very high, and service advisers would add unnecessary work in paid service to achieve their targets. So wanted to move away from Hyundai.
How things have changed! People skip Tata for the above said reason. I would advice that one give clear instruction when they give car for service. I got an unwanted 'AC cleaning' bill when I gave my i10 for service.

Last edited by jkdas : 11th January 2018 at 11:46.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2018, 21:32   #10
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase DCite.

I checked out the Tigor XZA today. Could not find a test drive vehicle but I guess the experience will be same as Tiago. I liked the vehicle and am inclined to buy. Ignis AMT will cost the same as this car and is not as value for money as Tigor. Dzire is not at all VFM.

I have a few questions -

1)Can you please advise on the service experience so far? Did you do some research on service before buying this car?
2)Which dealer should I go to in Bangalore? Specially concerned about service?
3)Do you know how reliable is the AMT? I hear complaints from Maruti but yet to hear any complaints about Tata AMT.
4)Is there a lot of road noise creeping in?

Thanks in advance.
Satishtv is offline   Reply With Quote