Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 20th January 2018, 21:42   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Ford Ecosport 1.5L Diesel Titanium (Facelift) - The machine I love

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post

But I'm quite intrigued- is it a better power to weight ratio that gives the Ecosport the performance edge?

My Ecosport test drive is finally scheduled for this weekend. Will also check out the Nexon, if not for anything else than to get a taste of how indigenous Tata manufacturing has progressed such a long way since the Indica days.
I hope you got to test the cars back to back. It's always good to do that.

Its not the power to weight ratio but the character of the engine. The Ecosport is more comfortable even at higher revs. Felt the Nexon wasn't happy at higher revs. However, the 6th gear will come to help on long cruises.

Also wanted to clarify that those points I had quoted above really made the difference to me while decision making. There were many other positives with the Nexon which might mean a lot to someone else eg. the ride quality on the Nexon is definitely lot better, reverse camera, price etc. But didn't mention those as they weren't deal breakers to me.

I shall do a more detailed comparison for benefit of all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawhat View Post
A question for you. Do you think the 8 inch touchscreen is too intrusive for the driver? I felt the unit might become a distraction especially when it is active and in the dark. The 6.5 inch system fits perfectly and doesn't obstruct. May be our mind and senses will adjust to it with time. Love the slick floating design and SYNC3's responsiveness though. Way ahead of the competition.
You nearly answered your question. It's just the initial curiosity that might cause distraction for a couple of days. The screen as such is ergonomic and does not obstruct the view or rather distract you. So size does not matter here.

It's hard to understand from the pictures as they are not from a driver's position. Taking a test drive would help understand it better.

Last edited by Jude300 : 20th January 2018 at 22:00.
Jude300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2018, 23:17   #32
BHPian

It's only natural to replace a 90Bhp ecosport with a 100Bhp one. I drive a first gen ecosport for 5 years and have done 1,32,000 kms so far. Never spent a penny on the engine, suspension apart from regular check up. Contemplating to replace it with a 100Bhp one. Close contender is a Nexon. I own a blue one. I have spent less on this ecosport than my Dzire which has done 1,10,000 kms. Happy mile munching !!
revv_maniac is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 09:07   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
It's only natural to replace a 90Bhp ecosport with a 100Bhp one. I drive a first gen ecosport for 5 years and have done 1,32,000 kms so far. Never spent a penny on the engine, suspension apart from regular check up. Contemplating to replace it with a 100Bhp one. Close contender is a Nexon. I own a blue one. I have spent less on this ecosport than my Dzire which has done 1,10,000 kms. Happy mile munching !!
That's a fantastic testimony to the car and is a fact that many are not aware of. Thanks for sharing the figures.

Maruti is no more cheap to maintain not because of the car by itself but because of the greedy dealerships. Many Maruti buyers are first time buyers who go with what the service advisors have to say. I was conned way back in 2010 when they charged me ₹6800 for the 15,000km service of my Estilo. I protested and then they gave me a discount of ₹800 on my insurance renewal. I was also for a shock when I learnt that they had not changed the engine oil but had just topped it up though I was charged fully. I lost trust on the brand ever since. Never changed the oil with the dealer after that. Have heard similar complaints from many of my colleagues too.

Taking the periodic maintenance plan for the Ecosport really helps bring down maintenance cost. You know what is covered and what you are paying for in excess. I learnt it only late but for my current case will take it after the free services are over.
Jude300 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2018, 20:19   #34
M35
BHPian

Beautifully put review.

I am contemplating on getting one. Had the diesel come with an AT option, it would have been an easier decision for me. Had you test driven the petrol AT, by any chance ? If so, how better is the diesel over the 1.5L petrol AT in terms on the fun-to-drive front ?
M35 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2018, 16:55   #35
BHPian

Excellent review Jude300!

Your review and the fact that you are a repeat EcoSport customer is very confidence inspiring. It was one of the factors that helped me decide to book this car. Thanks a lot!

I was thinking of creating a customised EcoSport PDI checklist based on our Team BHP PDI checklist. You being a repeat customer, I was wondering if you have something which you could share.

Thanks in advance.
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 09:07   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M35 View Post
Beautifully put review.

Had you test driven the petrol AT, by any chance ? If so, how better is the diesel over the 1.5L petrol AT in terms on the fun-to-drive front ?
Thanks M35 and sorry for the late response. I did test drive the petrol AT and was wowed by its smoothness. I didn't have a budget to go beyond 11.5l else might have ended buying the Titanium+ AT. Both powertrains deliver linear performance. The diesel has a little more grunt due to the better torque and keeps you happy even within the city. The petrol lacks that a bit. To put things in a nutshell, I would definitely recommend diesel for the manual transmission. But if you have the budget, the Titanium+ AT is the one to go for if you prefer to drive mostly sedatly. In the city the AT is a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
Excellent review Jude300!

Your review and the fact that you are a repeat EcoSport customer is very confidence inspiring. It was one of the factors that helped me decide to book this car. Thanks a lot!

I was thinking of creating a customised EcoSport PDI checklist based on our Team BHP PDI checklist. You being a repeat customer, I was wondering if you have something which you could share.

Thanks in advance.
Thanks buddy. Team BHP PDI list has got almost all you need. The one thing I would suggest specifically for the Ecosport is that, make sure they give you the drivers floor mat in case you are not opting for the essential pack. The fabric drivers floor mat is standard fitment. Some times the guys in the dealership take it off.
Old 6th February 2018, 09:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude300 View Post
Thanks buddy. Team BHP PDI list has got almost all you need. The one thing I would suggest specifically for the Ecosport is that, make sure they give you the drivers floor mat in case you are not opting for the essential pack. The fabric drivers floor mat is standard fitment. Some times the guys in the dealership take it off.
Thanks for the information! The SA had included Essential Pack (Floor mat, dicky mat, mud flaps) in the quotation but I told him that I would not take it. Instead was able to negotiate with him to include only the mud flaps for free. I am planning to get the floor and dicky mats from outside (thinking of the noodle ones). I was not aware that driver floor mat is standard fitment. How do I get the dealership guys to Not take it off? Is that mentioned somewhere on the Ford website or in the brochure that I can show as proof?
FrodoOfTheShire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2018, 14:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodoOfTheShire View Post
How do I get the dealership guys to Not take it off? Is that mentioned somewhere on the Ford website or in the brochure that I can show as proof?
If they don't provide it, tell them you will write to the customer care right away. Tell them your friend has received it. There is no place is written I guess but I am sure it comes with the car. I had to fight for it when I bought my first Ecosport but didn't have an issue with my current purchase. You will see it when you do the PDI. It will be in a cover in the boot usually.
Old 7th February 2018, 10:37   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hi Jude,
Excellent review of the new Ecosport. I must say it is very comprehensive and detailed.
You are a repeat customer and that says a lot about the trust in a good product. I also have been a fan of Ecosport since its launch.
Was able to finally own it last December 2017 . Got the Platinum model of the older version. Have been enjoying the drive.
Talking about Fuel efficiency , the diesel engine is pretty frugal. Here is a picture of MID. The highest it went upto was 18.6KMPL , although now hovering around 18.2 and 18.3kmpl.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote