Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th February 2018, 18:15   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Driven: Volvo XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny310c View Post
I know all about the pain of maintaining a black car having one already. Just that the only light colour available is White and neither my wife nor I am too fond of White. And I agree with you about the limited colour options. What I found strange is that the allotment seems like a lottery system, or at least that's what my dealer tells me. So not only did I not get my first choice exterior colour, I didn't get my first choice interior colour either. And apparently, while Volvo promised the dealer 7 cars this month, only 2 have been allotted, one of them being mine, and I should get it this Friday, or Sunday at worst.

BTW, does anyone know of a good online VIN decoder for Volvos. I have the VIN but depending on which site I try it on, I get the manufacturing year as 1988 or 2018, while the dealer tells me the car is Nov 2017 manufactured.
Yes, there does seem to be some sort of 'lottery' system. My original choice was Crystal White with Amber interiors. However, they said the next white coming is with Maroon Brown interiors, which was not my first choice because it is not very different from the Dakota Cinnamon in my 520d. The dealer here in Mumbai also confirmed that they too, have received only 2 cars this month, with one being mine which is now en route Mumbai
CLS_55_AMG is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2018, 19:22   #47
BHPian

Default Re: XC60 Brilliant pricing or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post

2) Duty paid: 33,21,509 - This figure that Volvo India will claim back on the basis of whatever the company exports out of India. The specifics depend on the actual workings on how much Volvo has claimed back from the government but I can assure you they export way more buses and heavy vehicles than then import passenger cars.
Volvo cars and Volvo trucks/ buses are no way related both are different companies. Volvo cars is fully owned by Geely China where as Volvo trucks or buses by Volvo in Sweden, ITC is ruled out.

Quote:

3) GST of 18% on 55,24,475 : 15,46,853/- This figure can also be taken as input credit against whatever GST amount that Volvo has to pay to their vendors here in India.
What happens in the case car is purchased by a individual / company who is into car leasing business ( remember buyer can claim ITC on the GST amount paid ). Volvo cannot claim ITC on the GST amount buyer has paid.

Last edited by mjumrani : 27th February 2018 at 19:30. Reason: Typo.
mjumrani is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2018, 00:28   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangakishen View Post
The next gen Volvo Cars with hybrid technology (read: drive by wire) will have this kind of gear lever. It lights up from within. Looks damn cool if you ask me.Attachment 1733789
Yes. My brother has the XC90 Inscription T8 Hybrid in the US with this gear lever.

Looks absolutely gorgeous especially in the dark. only issue is that you have to pull it back twice for drive and two pushes forward from D to get it into reverse.
venom_op is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 22:53   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Volvo cars and Volvo trucks/ buses are no way related both are different companies. Volvo cars is fully owned by Geely China where as Volvo trucks or buses by Volvo in Sweden, ITC is ruled out.

What happens in the case car is purchased by a individual / company who is into car leasing business ( remember buyer can claim ITC on the GST amount paid ). Volvo cannot claim ITC on the GST amount buyer has paid.
I am unsure about their corporate structure in India, just trying to present a hypothesis where companies that are able to offset their import duties and costs via exporting and claiming tax credits.

I apologise but I don't have much knowledge of GST vis a vis car leasing or even taxation in general.
quickdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2018, 23:16   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
it costs them about 38 lakhs landed with duties etc. Plus Volvo gets considerable Tax exemptions etc from the government which should bring the cost down even less.
I will try to explain once again, when goods are imported, there will be different types of duties & taxes

1 Customs Duty - which will be 60 % or 100 % as per below category
2 GST - will vary depending on the category, normally 28 %
3 Compensation Cess- Normally 15 % for vehicles over 4 M

When goods are cleared at Customs, all of these 3 will be charged at time of clearing. However, GST and compensation can be claimed as ITC ( Input tax credit) by Volvo trading and then the dealer. So the value+duty that you see in the last column includes GST & Cess. When Dealer bills the car to end customer, he gets recovery of this GST & Cess & we as an end customer bear the complete GST & Cess including on the margins of dealer and Volvo

Quote:
My understanding is that the GST Paid by Volvo would be claimed back by them when they purchase or hire local services. Private customers have no such option. Also, Volvo gets significant customs duties rebates for exporting parts and heavy vehicles.
Quote:
Just trying to present a hypothesis where companies that are able to offset their import duties and costs via exporting and claiming tax credits.
I don't think this is allowed in case of built up automobiles, else many manufacturers would have been having CBU at low prices, like Jeep, Ford & Hyundai. This benefit may be available on components and CKD kits though.

Driven: Volvo XC60-screen-shot-20180302-11.09.53-pm.png
http://www.siamindia.com/cpage.aspx?...8&pgidtrail=85

Driven: Volvo XC60-screen-shot-20180302-11.09.40-pm.png
http://www.siamindia.com/economic-af...8&pgidtrail=20

Last edited by Turbanator : 2nd March 2018 at 23:26.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:20   #51
BHPian

Took delivery of my car yesterday. The car was brought to the dealership in the early hours of the morning and then prepped for delivery. Even though it was a holiday for the dealership on account of Holi, my sales guy agreed to do the delivery, being a good day and all that. Anyway, delivery went without a hitch, had the t-bhp PDI on my phone so quickly ran through that to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Mileage at the time of delivery was 8 Km. The paperwork is not all done and I should have it all by Wednesday. For now I have the TradeCertificate of the car with the dealer insurance papers. Yet to get one of the accessories as well.

Took the car straight to the temple for a puja, then got it fuelled, and then to 3M to get the PPF done. Will get the car back only on Sunday evening. Am not much of a photo guy but will try and upload a few after I get the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The actual price if you negotiate with them is a lot lot lower than the MSRP of 1.3 lacs. The difference in my v40 petrol was pretty substantial with it.
I got a quote for 85K now, down from 1.3 lacs. Will drive for a few days before taking that decision.

Last edited by navin : 3rd March 2018 at 10:56. Reason: typos
sunny310c is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2018, 11:06   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of my car yesterday.

I got a quote for 85K now, down from 1.3 lacs. Will drive for a few days before taking that decision.
Congrats on the car. They usually drop the charges even further if you don't show interest.

Last edited by mjumrani : 3rd March 2018 at 11:09. Reason: Typo.
mjumrani is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2018, 19:25   #53
BHPian

Had a question for Volvo owners. The sales guy told me that there is no break-in period for the car. Is that the case for all new Volvos?
sunny310c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2018, 19:31   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had a question for Volvo owners. The sales guy told me that there is no break-in period for the car. Is that the case for all new Volvos?
I drove it as if I stole it from day one .
reignofchaos is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 22:02   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Volvo's XC 60 nominated for the 2018 WORLD CAR OF THE YEAR, the others are MAZDA CX-5 and RANGE ROVER VELAR.

A year where no German Manufacturer is nominated as the WCOTY.

Name:  vv.JPG
Views: 3482
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  V2.JPG
Views: 3468
Size:  26.9 KB

Last edited by volkman10 : 6th March 2018 at 22:05.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 12:48   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
Congrats on the car. They usually drop the charges even further if you don't show interest.
Just spoke to the sales guy about a totally unrelated matter and he told me the Polestar performance optimization is now available for 50K. All this with me just asking for their best price. I haven't even haggled with them yet and it's already down from 1.3 lacs to 50K.
sunny310c is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 14:10   #57
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just spoke to the sales guy about a totally unrelated matter and he told me the Polestar performance optimization is now available for 50K. All this with me just asking for their best price. I haven't even haggled with them yet and it's already down from 1.3 lacs to 50K.
Manufacturers tend to have people in their teams track posts about their cars. So I feel it is advisable to Post details on price negotiations post completion of the deal.

Everyone has an agenda.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2018, 12:41   #58
BHPian

Got delivery of my car last weekend. I have put about 300 kms on the clock in the first week. There is no mention of a run-in period for the car anywhere and I'm not taking any chances, so I've been driving it with a light foot and will do so until I have about 800 kms done. Will post a detailed review and more images once I get some time.
Attached Thumbnails
Driven: Volvo XC60-image1.jpeg  

CLS_55_AMG is offline   (15) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 18:37   #59
BHPian

Default Re: Driven: Volvo XC60 (WCOTY - 2018)

And the XC60 is the World Car of the Year for 2018.

https://auto.ndtv.com/news/volvo-xc6...r-2018-1829864
sunny310c is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2018, 11:04   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

This is how Volvo's XC60 trumped its rivals to secure the 2018 WCOTY.

Driven: Volvo XC60-wc.jpg

Driven: Volvo XC60-wcoty_winners_2018_volvo_xc601400x788.jpg

Name:  vol1.JPG
Views: 1748
Size:  55.7 KB

Name:  vol2.JPG
Views: 1731
Size:  42.0 KB
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks Reply With Quote