Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th March 2018, 13:25   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story

Did 9H Ceramic coating for my car last week. Since I know Ojus of Esperto Car Care personally, did not think too much. And of course, great work by their team!!
It takes overall a day for them to complete the entire process including the heat treatment. After doing the coating, they advise not to apply water on the car for next 3 days. Now it is quite easy to remove the dust from the car, I am using Jopasu duster which works perfect! Yet to try/experience the hydryphobic features of this coating.
Today took some photos of the car within my apartment complex. Posting few of the decent ones!!
Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0219.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0223.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0225.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0226.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0228.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0230.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0231.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0233.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0236.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0237.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0238.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0240.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0245.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0247.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0220.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0250updated.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0252.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0255.jpg
sivadas is offline   (22) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2018, 13:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
Today took some photos of the car within my apartment complex. Posting few of the decent ones!!
Really nice pics. Love the car in red . How about changing the number plates? I believe the one with frame would look much better.
Dr.Naren is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2018, 15:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Sivadas! vRS looks awesome in red. I will keep my eyes wide open to spot your car.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2018, 15:06   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your new ride and wish you many happy miles with it. The car looks more at home in the photos in the urban environment than the country side. Definitely ups the glam quotient.

Quote:
* People inquiring about the price of the car and then giving a look which probably means "what is so special about this car having only 5
seats?" or "Why can't you buy an Innova?"
I kind of like this. Qualities of a sleeper.

Drive on,
Shibu.

Last edited by shibujp : 4th March 2018 at 15:07.
shibujp is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2018, 22:45   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
Congrats on your new ride and wish you many happy miles with it. The car looks more at home in the photos in the urban environment than the country side. Definitely ups the glam quotient.

I kind of like this. Qualities of a sleeper.
Drive on,
Shibu.
You are probably right, I also felt these photos are better than the earlier ones!!
And thanks for your wishes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Congrats Sivadas! vRS looks awesome in red. I will keep my eyes wide open to spot your car.
Thanks Latheesh. You may see a Blue one also in the same area, my friend's one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Really nice pics. Love the car in red . How about changing the number plates? I believe the one with frame would look much better.
Agree, I will definitely change the number plates!
sivadas is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2018, 22:56   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Did 9H Ceramic coating for my car last week.
Congratulations on the purchase of this Red beauty. The ceramic coating makes her look even smashing in Red.
Sorry for the late congratulations and I wish you countless miles of pleasure in this machine.
Ithaca is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2018, 11:21   #22
Senior - BHPian

Amazing!!! Go for Movell plates from Amazon or eBay India.
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2018, 23:52   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
Congratulations on the purchase of this Red beauty. The ceramic coating makes her look even smashing in Red.
Sorry for the late congratulations and I wish you countless miles of pleasure in this machine.
Thanks Ithaca!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Amazing!!! Go for Movell plates from Amazon or eBay India.
Thanks, will check it out!!

Adding few more photos highlighting the glossy effect after ceramic coating (Photos taken by my friend)!

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-018be5663d9d4cc09ab5d21786d18df3.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-26fb116785a04d2b8b793e71db5b19a5.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-69fb43856bfc4c0a8849278b602b5fac.jpg

Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-b91a8b3cec9a486eb7e13c95aa7d91ec.jpg
sivadas is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2018, 23:57   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks amazing! A good ceramic coating can really make a bright red car shine like a big juicy cherry!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018, 23:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Looks amazing! A good ceramic coating can really make a bright red car shine like a big juicy cherry!
Thanks Nikhil.
Frankly speaking, Blue was my favorite color too!! I deliberately changed it to Red so that it will stay (relatively) low profile! But now this one turns out to be as attention seeking as Blue
sivadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2018, 01:59   #26
BHPian

Congrats for the awesome machine! It is so heartening to see a vRS in shining red. This reminds me of my red vRS back in the day when it used to be India's fastest production car and my college's steed.

Enjoy her thoroughly and create beautiful memories!
ashish22 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2018, 18:39   #27
BHPian

When I posted the initial ownership review of my vRS, idea was to post regular updates on the thread. But my father's deteriorating health condition and subsequent demise suddenly changed all my priorities. As mere mortals, we are designed to move on with our life.

In any case, during last few months, I was able to drive both Laura TSI and vRS one after other on many occasions. I had a Chennai trip and another one to native in Laura while few trekking trips and a longer one to Kotagiri was done with vRS. Let me share few observations and a bit of comparison data also.

First one is not so important but many people are curious to know about this! Yes, I am talking about the so called "Mileage", rather the Fuel Efficiency. Laura can give some amazing FE numbers for a such a powerful Turbo petrol Engine. I got up to 18Kmpl while cruising to Chennai and back. But vRS so far could not come out of its heavy drinking habits! Unless it is pure highway trips, it is very difficult to get above 8-9Kmpl. As the engine-gear box combination constantly begs to drive hard, this number can go down further quite easily!! Here is a screenshot from my FE tracker app:
Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-img_2353.jpg

Second aspect I want to talk about is the feel while pressing the accelerator on both these cars. May be this is coming from my lack of exposure to automatics. But let me tell you this, manual is manual, no automatic can replicate that feel of power you get when the accelerator is pressed. Laura with more than 100000Kms on Odo is still very very exciting and while pressing the accelerator, you really get the feeling of controlling the 160 wild stallions!! In the vRS, sports and manual modes literally wreaks havoc, but somewhere you get the feeling of electronics controlling everything.

After spending time in the vRS, Laura interiors appear pre-historic(mind it, TSI only had Ambiente version initially). There is no comparison at all, vRS is super sporty and gives a special feeling every time you sit behind those racy steering wheel.

I have become a big fan of the vRS' paddle shifters. As you cannot really drive in the sports mode continuously, paddles help big time when you want to overtake another vehicle and come back to your lane in a jiffy!! The sudden surge in power you get with downing the gear is literally intoxicating. After that, you can do pretty much whatever you want!!

As said earlier, suspension of vRS is a real surprise package. With an official GC of141mm, you may wonder if this car is really practical in Indian context. But the truth is, car can manage most of the notorious humps in Bangalore (unless your car is fully packed) without bottoming out. It really gives a very solid yet supple feel while dealing with humps and dips. And of course it makes you a whole lot better driver while negotiating curves!!

Best part of the car is that you are supremely confident while driving fast. I don't like to drive fast continuously, but enjoy doing occasional sprints. On highways, car will reward you with some unparalleled driving ecstasy.

The all black interiors looks fabulous in vRS, but the default mats become dirty in no time and it shows up. May be I need to find something similar to the Cagu mat (which doesn't collect so much dust) I was using in Laura. Also thinking of getting a 12V vacuum cleaner with good suction power.

I have observed a unique (may appear silly) problem with the opening of front left door. Even while the car is unlocked, this door doesn't open at the first attempt from outside(some times it takes many tries to open it). Thinking car is not unlocked, you press the Lock/Unlock button again, actually locking the car. I really don't know the real issue behind it, not sure if this is because of the angle of pulling or something else Request other owners to comment on this.

Posting few photos from recent trekking trips:
Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-carcloseup.jpg
Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0311.jpg
Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0314.jpg
Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-dsc_0373.jpg
Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-img_2269.jpg
Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-img_2272.jpg
Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-img_2296.jpg
sivadas is offline   (11) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2018, 23:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

All I could manage was this😁
Attached Thumbnails
Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story-1526493434163.jpg  

Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2018, 07:42   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have observed a unique (may appear silly) problem with the opening of front left door. Even while the car is unlocked, this door doesn't open at the first attempt from outside(some times it takes many tries to open it). Thinking car is not unlocked, you press the Lock/Unlock button again, actually locking the car. I really don't know the real issue behind it, not sure if this is because of the angle of pulling or something else Request other owners to comment on this.
You dont need to press or touch anything to unlock the car. Just insert your fingers between the body and the handle and it will sense your presence and unlock automatically.

Only to lock it, you need to touch the notch on the door handle.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2018, 09:39   #30
BHPian

Default Life is too short not to drive a Skoda Octavia vRS! Another vRS story

Quote:

I know exactly what you are talking about! My car and many other vRS have this front passenger door issue. Seems like an alignment issue with the door handles. So what you have to do is pull the door handle straight and not at an angle.. if pulled at an angle the handle gets stuck and seems as if the car is locked. Stupid issue to have on a 30 lac car but hopefully it should get better with time. Mine is better now compared to when the car was brand new.
Suraj25 is offline   Reply With Quote