Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2018, 12:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Kaliya - My pre-owned 1st gen Toyota Fortuner

Absolutely loved your ownership thread varun and the accompanying pictures are awesome. It's a treat to watch the butch SUV. The off-roading capabilities of this vehicle are legendary which you are making full use of.
Its sad that many don't make full use of everything this bad boy can do!
Waiting to see many more pictures and adventures you are going to have with this beautiful beast.
As always keep revving.
vinitbhavi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 13:37   #17
BHPian

Varun.

Heartiest congratulations to you and best wishes to Kaliya.She looks butch man !!
You have one big, bold, no nonsense machine with you now. You are the 2nd Ace on the forum now. Kaliya seems to be Gajraaj's (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-crunched.html) twin.

You are living my dream man.

Good luck. Do post service costs and off-road experiences.

Regards
sid_hilldriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 15:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Chaand View Post
Wonderful thread Varun and welcome to the world of real SUV's!

Needless to say you have munched up miles and are enjoying the ride. Do keep updating the thread with your experiences from time to time.
Thanks Chandra ! Experience of your car is a big factor in me indulging !

Thanks for the kind words

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshitsi View Post
The only downside of this vehicle is the steep feature-list on a 25L car

You're absolutely right about this and the facelifted version has much better and confidence inspiring brakes.
Thanks for the kind words Akshit.

With the number of issues we have been reading about the electronics in the car I'm happy with minimal electronics but yes they are least in it's league . And with the endy offering so much at the same price , the new Fortuner only has the T badge going it's way (although that's a big one too)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinitbhavi View Post
The off-roading capabilities of this vehicle are legendary which you are making full use of.
Its sad that many don't make full use of everything this bad boy can do!

Waiting to see many more pictures and adventures you are going to have with this beautiful beast.
As always keep revving.
Thanks Vinit ! If we invest in a 4wd, there should be an ROI

But we need to be damn careful about precautions and care !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_hilldriver View Post
Kaliya seems to be Gajraaj's (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-crunched.html) twin.

Good luck. Do post service costs and off-road experiences.
Thanks Sid and that's a different league you're putting me into ! The Atlantis / Gajraj has done things I can only dream of !

I intent to keep updating the thread .

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th May 2018 at 07:16. Reason: Tfort > Fortuner. Please avoid abbreviations while referring to cars on the forum. Thanks.
varunraizada is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 19:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunraizada View Post

Thanks Sid and that's a different league you're putting me into ! The Atlantis / Gajraj has done things I can only dream of !

I intent to keep updating the thread .

You shall be there soon brother. Anyways make sure you go for the brakes upgrade positively.

Happy Fortuning
sid_hilldriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 20:35   #20
BHPian

Congratulations on your new possession.
Hope to go for OTRs together in the monsoons.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 22:19   #21
Senior - BHPian

Where's my jaw?
Congrats on this purchase, she'll serve you really well for many years. The first gen Innova and Fortuner have ruggedness and mechanical feel to them which the current ones (Innova at least) don't.

I love this car and I think you should keep it for life. It can outlast you
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2018, 23:47   #22
Senior - BHPian

I have very little to add to this post. But, man-o-man! I loved reading the review from the start till the end. It’s a well put together post about my favourite SUV Fortuner! I remember how I used to take glances at these fortuners when it used to pass by me when I was in college.

Not much known about the Butch SUV’s, but yes they are just amazing, intimidating on road. It commands your respect!

Thank you for putting down some tips for the OFF ROAD! It should help me when I’m in the market for an upgrade to SUV from CSUV!

Congratulations sir, for having a wonderful car, or rather a TRUCK!

This thread deserves a full 5 star rating and I hit that already!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th May 2018 at 06:28. Reason: Fort > Fortuner. Please avoid using abbreviations while referring to cars on the forum. Thanks!
gururajrv is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 08:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
Hope to go for OTRs together in the monsoons.
Most definitely.. I'll keep this thread updated with the OTR plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
Where's my jaw?

The first gen Innova and Fortuner have ruggedness and mechanical feel to them which the current ones (Innova at least) don't.

I love this car and I think you should keep it for life. It can outlast you
Thanks for the kind words

I agree to a large extent about the mechanical feel. The newer electronics though make the car much easier to drive but I'm old school and like this better

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
But, man-o-man! I loved reading the review from the start till the end. It’s a well put together post about my favourite SUV Fortuner! I remember how I used to take glances at these fortuners when it used to pass by me when I was in college.

Thank you for putting down some tips for the OFF ROAD! It should help me when I’m in the market for an upgrade to SUV from CSUV!

This thread deserves a full 5 star rating and I hit that already!
Thanks Guru for your kind words and the rating

Well the glances and awe helps us bulldoze
Old 19th May 2018, 10:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Threads like these confuse a used car buyer like me even more Have absolutely no clue which car I want to buy now. Thinking between CRV, facelift Civic, corolla, Duster AwD, new freestyle and now the fortuner. The 10 lakh category is really confusing.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 11:23   #25
BHPian

Awesome writeup Varun bhai. Wishing you many years of happiness and mile crunching with Kaliya! Look forward to following this thread and looking at the photos of your off road adventures.
avdhesh15 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 15:11   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
The first gen Innova and Fortuner have ruggedness and mechanical feel to them which the current ones (Innova at least) don't.
This so very true. For example, the electronic gizmos or an electric transfer case never inspires as much confidence as the old school mechanical 4x4 system in the fortuner. Besides, having two gear sticks makes it all the way more Tashani

Ohhhhh. I have cargasms looking at Kaliya and Gajraaj.
sid_hilldriver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2018, 16:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Threads like these confuse a used car buyer like me even more . Have absolutely no clue which car I want to buy now. Thinking between CRV, facelift Civic, corolla, Duster AwD, new freestyle and now the fortuner. The 10 lakh category is really confusing.
If you will drive only on highways , it's worth getting the civic !! Driving pleasure will be paramount

If you need a go anywhere vehicle , get the fortuner .. buying a used duster is risky given the Renault service and no idea on how it has been run

That's my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
Awesome writeup Varun bhai. Wishing you many years of happiness and mile crunching with Kaliya! Look forward to following this thread and looking at the photos of your off road adventures.
Thanks for the kind words Avdhesh !! I'll keep updating the thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_hilldriver View Post
Besides, having two gear sticks makes it all the way more Tashani

Ohhhhh. I have cargasms looking at Kaliya and Gajraaj.
Can't agree more ... Lots of friends have asked me why are there 2 gears but I get a chance to give some Gyan
varunraizada is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 14:09   #28
BHPian

Hello Varun,

First of all, Congratulations on getting this Monster !!!

Must say that, this is one of the most honest and unbiased review. Thanks for compiling this very comprehensive report. Rated the thread 5 star

I currently own a Duster ( New Duster, Diesel/Manual, 2016 model ).

I am planning to upgrade to pre-owned Fortuner sometime next year. I am from Bangalore and there are plenty of them available in used car market. AWD is optional for me. Manual is my preference compare to Automatic. But again I am open to anything since you cannot demand much in a pre-owned market I plan to pick 2nd generation Fortuner since it has some improvement over the 1st gen. I have below questions considering you did drive Duster.

1. How is the clutch in Fortuner compare to Duster? Is it really hard? I heard from many people that, Fortuner has very very hard clutch it's almost like driving a truck. Please let me know your experience. I am very specific on this since I would pick a Manual over Automatic.

2. You said, vehicle was checked by Toyota and they gave a detailed report on the conditions of the car. How much do they charge for this? Is it available only with Toyota OR other manufactures also offer this service? Ex: Ford for Endevour?

3. How is the overall Driving dynamics of Fortuner? How would you compare that with Duster? Specially driving in traffic hell like Bangalore. I don't use the car on week days. My usage is primarily on weekends ( 50% City + 50% Highway ).

4. It's good to see that, some of the BHP'ians helped you during decision making process and also during buying process. Lucky you are! Specially having Ragh_Bhushan. I have seen his Review on his vehicle last year. Very detailed one and I did post some questions on his thread and he promptly responded. Do you know anybody from Bangalore who can help on this? We have couple of Whatsapp group for Duster owners across India. Do you have any such groups for Fortuner owners? If yes, then I am hoping to get some contacts from Bangalore.

Finally, keep munching miles and enjoy your life with Kaliya !!!

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Raghav
RAHS is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 15:16   #29
bkc
BHPian

I fell for this great review. Hoping to own one soon . I wish, I could find a good vehicle like yours in Bangalore.
Happy mile munching bro.

Please keep logging the overall cost of ownership, time to time, it will help us a lot.
bkc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2018, 17:58   #30
BHPian

Many Congratulations Varun for Kaliya!

100,000 kilometres seem like just a number when it comes to this generation of the Fortuner with the prime examples being Maanuj and Bhushan. Kaliya will serve you well for the next 100,000 kilometres if you take care of the basics. Driving it I couldn't tell the car had so many miles on it and she felt very tight.

Glad to know you're already using the car for its primary purpose (scaring away the auto rickshaws) and the occasional off-roading outing as well.

Get the lift kit at the earliest as we've seen the magic happen. Any plans for clutch overhaul?

Excellent detail in the thread it should help many a SUV aspirant like yours truly.

Last edited by miharbe : 20th May 2018 at 18:10.
miharbe is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks