Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th January 2007, 23:24   #16
Senior - BHPian

Yeah thats true GM cars always have more hidden costs....
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 00:56   #17
BHPian

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
GM has a more upmarket image than Maruti,generally.
The U-VA 1.2(with 8% excise exemption) is costlier than the Swift 1.3 (without excise exemption) by 30,000 rupees.
Its classic GM pricing!
Lets wait and watch if the public think that GM deserves it.

If you also noted, they first came out with Optra with a premium pricing, then they came down a little, with Aveo at a high pricing than competition (Fiesta) but that too did not create historical upwards sales charts, and now they came with a UVA at higher pricing than competition - Swift. IMHO, they may dent a few sales off the competition but not by much. Swaying people is one thing but ripping off competition is another. And many would still prefer a Japanese over a Korean / or American, whether it's a Maruti or something else (Honda / Toyota)

Interiors is one area where UVA is better than Swift, however I have seen modded biege interior Swift with leather seats, and it looked more hot and cool as well and much much more upmarket than the current UVA.

Indians may fancy GM cars but they also know the practicality of maintaining cars, and that's where Maruti takes the cake with its customer handling in a majority of cases and a gem of an engine.

Besides Govt does not holds any shares in Maruti now. It's a totally private company just like Honda India or GM India etc.

With more and more families going in for second or third cars, GM UVA may well be on their buying lists.

Times are really changing now in India now. And customers are more excited as well. And why not ???
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 11:52   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
but they also know the practicality of maintaining cars,
Dude, I am not sure what your argumant is based on. Is it just the perception? Or do you have actuall figures??

I do own a GM car, the dicontinued opel corsa sail 1.6, for past 2 and 1/2 years. One of my friend own a wagonR. Our regular service bills are pretty much comparable. I have also chaged few parts, like the headlamp, rear light etc. They were not at all costly.

I am not sure about the clutch or suspension components though. One big problem is the resale value, which is almost nill. But the maintenance has never been a costly affair.
gkrishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 14:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
Indians may fancy GM cars but they also know the practicality of maintaining cars, and that's where Maruti takes the cake with its customer handling in a majority of cases and a gem of an engine.

Besides Govt does not holds any shares in Maruti now. It's a totally private company just like Honda India or GM India etc.
Not sure about the practicality bit statement...I own a GM car (Aveo) and as far as I have experienced, GM has excellent A.S.S with reasonable spares (nothing which blows up my pocket)...and GoI does hold a stake in Maruti..yet
Hells Bells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 15:35   #20
BHPian

Wait n watch they will price the car next to the Estillo ) in a few months from now and slowly phase it out due to lack of sales. When will GM learn.....
anarchist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 16:00   #21
BHPian

Well, I had a look at U-VA (although could not drive it), the exteriors are awesome and the interiors are cheap ! ! ! Very poor quality of parts inside (esp. the cup holder)

There seems to be some confusion on Maintenance. I own an Aveo and I have always found the maintenance and parts to be way (... way) cheaper than Fiesta or Honda City.

I have personally experienced a very contented service at Chevrolet. infact, once I had sent a mail to GM, Delhi and got the response from the local dealer at pune in flat 1 hour ! ! !

I am not expecting any better service than this.
cool_sizzlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 09:45   #22
BHPian

I agree with cool_sizzlers. I own Corsa 1.4 (2003). The sevice I recvd from GM dealer in Mumbai was very good. Dealer always called to check whether everything was OK. But UVA pricing by GM is definitely skewed. I think they will drop prices after Budget if excise is reduced for all cars. Then SWIFT/GETZ will be much more cheaper than UVA
cartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 19:27   #23
Senior - BHPian

Post Pics AVEO UVA

Interiors : - There is no tacho in the car. Only the LT version has it. Interiors are very poor looking plastic grey but the faux carbon fibre looks good. The Gorilla siting inside is a major hype. It has more space then the Swift and Getz but doesnot live up to the hype.

Exteriors - The Alloys look like wheel caps. Car looks ok, rear looks good and so does the front.

Braking - Brakes are average for the car i tested. It was without ABS, had a tendency to lock. I guess this was mainly because the tyres were puny 155s. I tested the LS version, they did not have LT for test drive.

Performance - is adequate but just. You do feel the need for more horses as you climb up the revvs.

Handling & Stability - Is impressive for the car.

Ride - Is excellent. It soaked up every bump with aplomb.

Boot - Is ok not that great but the rear seats can be folded and hence increasing the luggage space.

Overall Verdict - In short i would say the car is not at all Value For Money. As the top of the line LT version with the optional pack costs 5,85,000L OTR, your better off with the Swift which comes at 5,42,000L OTR, and if you want space then there is always Indigo at similar price with a boot.

Last edited by BUSA : 18th January 2007 at 19:38.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 20:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
I do own a GM car, the dicontinued opel corsa sail 1.6, for past 2 and 1/2 years. One of my friend own a wagonR. Our regular service bills are pretty much comparable. I have also chaged few parts, like the headlamp, rear light etc. They were not at all costly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
I own a GM car (Aveo) and as far as I have experienced, GM has excellent A.S.S with reasonable spares (nothing which blows up my pocket)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_sizzlers View Post
There seems to be some confusion on Maintenance. I own an Aveo and I have always found the maintenance and parts to be way (... way) cheaper than Fiesta or Honda City.
OT:

Word of mouth anti-marketing against GM seems to have created that negative impression on GM spares and A.S.S. Myself neither owned a GM product nor have any direct experience. But if someone asks for an opinion I would definitely say " COSTLY MAINTENANCE". It's because, I keep hearing such stuff's. Hightime to redirect to the GM product owners.

The same goes for Fiat. The other logic is that lesser no.of cars sold reflects in higher maintenance costs.

Last edited by Surprise : 18th January 2007 at 20:17.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 20:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nice review again Busa.

Whether the UVA will sell or not I dont know,but Gm has atleast made an effort this time to ensure that spares have been priced lower than competitors,Offer decent fuel economy,and I think they are harping on the warranty they are offering on the Uva which other competitors have not yet matched[Which they say has added to the initial cost of the U-va].
Only time will tell whether this is just their marketing strategy or is actually relevant.

But dont expect too many Uva's,Optra's,taveras,sparks on the road so soon because Gm will be facing a capacity constraint at their plant in Gujarat and unless the talegaon[pune] plant comes up fast Gm will not be able to sell more cars even if there is demand for it.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 18th January 2007 at 20:47.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 21:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hightime to redirect to the GM product owners.
Well i can tell you maintaining a Korean car is much cheaper then maintaining a Japanese/American/European Car.

I had a NHC before. Service was every 5000kms. Now with the Optra its every 10,000 kms. Also cost of brake pads, wipers, bumpers, fog lights, etc all are quite cheap compared to the competition. My service bills are amongst the cheapest in the segment comming a close second on to the Elantra.

Yes GM spares were expensive at a time and that was during the Astra days and reason can be directly attributed to parts being imported from other countries. Same case with the then Lancer and current Lancer spares, and the current Cedia spares. Now the spares are not at all costly and the *** is excellent(thats what i experienced first hand)

Service at Honda is not that good (Ichiban Honda - what can you expect anyways) They dont give much priority to your car as there are already tons and tons of other hondas (Most NHCs) pouring in for servicing.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 21:25   #27
BHPian

My uncle was spending 30K upwards for every service on his Astra. He finally sold it for 2.15L in 2004 and it was considered a good deal! He swore he will never buy GM ever again and will not let anyone in the family do so too!
Equus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 11:52   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
My uncle was spending 30K upwards for every service on his Astra. He finally sold it for 2.15L in 2004 and it was considered a good deal! He swore he will never buy GM ever again and will not let anyone in the family do so too!

well those days are gone. i drive an optra and my service cost is one of the lowest in the segment coming close to the elantra which is the cheapest as busa mentioned. spares and services are much cheaper today than the times your uncle had an astra. i suggest u take your uncle to a gm showroom and he will know the difference.....
Mp421b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 11:57   #29
Team-BHP Support

Its a case of "Once bitten twice shy".
My cousin bought an astra club (One with sunroof etc.,), though he loved the car, the service bills were huge.
If tomorrow a company like skoda introduces a small car like Fabia, with cheap spares, the perception will remain same for quite some time that skoda cars are very expensive to maintain.
In case of GM its the Opel ghost which is hounding them.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 17:56   #30
BHPian

I'd rather call it the Astra Ghost....The spares for the Corsa, though not cheap, aren't expensive either, in comparison to the competition.

The only two repairs for me in the last 3.5 yrs/50000kms with my Opel Corsa have been :
1) Clutch release bearing replacement (due to water related damage): 4500/-
2) Clutch assly replacement at 45K kms- 9000/-

I do not know how much clutch assembly fixes cost on other cars, but I would think the above look kind of OK to me...
Other than that, the regular 10 K services have been in the range of 2-4K which I guess is fairly reasonable,
and a regular once a year 250/- replacement of the AC microswitch (which due to some weird quirk of the AC system keeps failing once a year)
abhi182 is offline   Reply With Quote