Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th January 2007, 22:26   #1
BHPian

Default Visit to Honda Dealer - New CRV Driven, a Few Crashed Civics Seen

I had been to the Honda Dealership here today to get some minor suspension / engine mounting job done on my Civic.

I had already arranged with one of the sales persons for a drive of the New CRV. So after handing over my car to the service advisor, it was time to hop in to the gleaming new Red CRV.

First Impression: The car is a stunner in flesh. It has a hulking and aggressive look that is much better than the earlier model. It has presence and great street cred.

In the Driving Seat: The seat is very comfortable. It has 8 way electric adjustment including lumbar support. Thigh support is also very good. Armrests provide a comfortable driving position. The steering wheel is slighter larger than the Civic but is nice to hold and use. It has controls for audio on it.

The instrument cluster is clear and very elegant (though not as good as the Civic!!!!). There are two trip meters, an instant fuel consumption indicator as well as a trip fuel consumption indicator and distance to empty indicator. The trip fuel consumption indicator was showing 5.6 kpl. People must have ripped this test car.

The driver gets a good view of the road ahead due to higher than cars seating position.

The Drive: The engine is typical Honda smooth and idle is super silent. With six gears (I drove the MT version) and 161ps, the engine pulls effortlessly.

Gearshift is very crisp. Very light action is enough to engage the gears and throws are short. Parking brake location is slightly unusual - it is placed close floor and in a more forward location than in most cars.

I drove it for about 20km and was easily able to get to 100kph quite quickly each time I found a gap in traffic. Brake is a touch sensitive but was very effective. Steering effort is just right, not too light nor too tight. The steering however did not self center as quickly as the Civic and a few other cars do and it had to be turned back to the center position after a "U" turn.

There is a nice roar when the tacho crosses 4k rpm. May be Honda is deliberately tuning its engines this way as the Civic also has a wonderful growl from this engine speed on.

I was able to move through to 6th gear a couple of times but most of the driving was in 3rd or 4th.

Comfort / Convenience: The cabin has a superb luxury feel to it. Colour scheme and textue of materials is top notch. The sound system plays WMA and MP3, has a 6 cd changes and is good. The dual zone A/c is fantastic and quite useful too.

Ride / Handling: I could not test this out much because I drove on well paved and straight road. There were a few bumps on the edge of the road and I dropped the wheels on a few of those. The car eaily handled those. On the whole ride was great
Smooth, silent and fast is the best way to describe the CRV.

I am a "driver" and hence did not check the back seat at all. However, from what I could see, it looked quite spacious and comfortable.

Conclusion - I was very impressed with the CRV. If I could spend Rs. 20.8 lakhs (on road) on a car, I would have booked one right away. Incidentally, this dealer has sold about 15 cars with a similar number on booked and waiting status!!!!! The wait time is about two months now. Honda will continue its hold on this segment too.....

I also saw the new Accord. It looks really sophisticated. With those classy looks and a marginal price increase, this is another segment that will safely stay with Honda.

On a Sad Note: There were quite a few cars in the dealership for body work. Two of those caught my attention. Poor new Civics -- one hit from the side and another a front on impact. I was told that in both cases the occupants were safe. My sympathies were with the owners. Here are the photos:

The CRV I Drove -http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/7...2007127of3.jpg

Poor Smashed Civic 1- Front on Impact
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1...2007124rn7.jpg

Poor Smashed Civic 2- Smashed from the side
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/4...2007126vj1.jpg

Last edited by aah78 : 10th January 2007 at 23:28. Reason: price corrected
roovee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 23:01   #2
Team-BHP Support

21.8L for the MT version here in bangalore??? man thats steep.

One thin I wanted to ask with regard to the MT CR-V. The gear stick is more on the dash board. Is it too far. I'm a tall guy and my default seating position is seat full back in any car. So if i do that can i reach the gears?

How was this for you?

sad to see the civics. the black one would have been brand new since was launched only in sep-oct.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 23:09   #3
BHPian

Vid... the gear lever is on the dashboard and it would take some getting used to for drivers coming from a "normal" car. However, I found it convenient because the Civic also has its gear shifter in a forward position, also the armrest is quite useful -- with the elbow resting on the armrest, it was easy to reach and move the shifter. I am tall and I do move the seat back too, and it was no problem at all.

Ravi.
roovee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 23:33   #4
Team-BHP Support

Do you know the onroad prices for both the MT and the AT?

you mentioned 21.8L. is this for the MT or the AT?
Old 11th January 2007, 13:44   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review.

The new CRV does look good, but the price seems too steep. Not sure how the market will take it. But then its a Honda, so you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roovee
Poor Smashed Civic 1- Front on Impact
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/1...2007124rn7.jpg
Post-crash, it looks like an NHC.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 13:48   #6
Team-BHP Support

Something interesting those headlamps look like projector lamps not the OE ones.
Old 11th January 2007, 13:57   #7
BHPian

What is the top speed of the CRV, if i am not wrong i saw the speed calibrated to about only 180 or 200 Kms/Hr.

But the car is fanstatic.
netarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 14:35   #8
BHPian

BHPn's even I had been to Whitefield honda, Saw that eye catching new Accord (A Silver one) Man it looked like a DC-Merc Class E from Behind at first, Initially I was shocked but I saw the Accord logo soon went it to check it believe me it's a class car, SHE's a beauty.

Again I just went in there to buy the fender side indicators to retrofit them on my Baleno, The dealers out there are pathetic. It was the spares section and they are asked me a lot of questions, like "Can you fit it yourself" and all that was Unnecessary though after 5 mins of questioning they say they don't have that spare!! I was really Pi$$ed though had to walk out of that place and have decided not to go there again. All cause of dealers in India good cars are loosing their markets.
../Mega
mega5918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 17:38   #9
Team-BHP Support

im guessing that you like the roar of the engine above 4k rpm because thats when the v-tec is activated.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2007, 12:10   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah it sure will sound great beyond that 4K tachy reading not in V-tecs but in all cars ...........
karan561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2007, 12:12   #11
Senior - BHPian

Any further feedback on the CRV? My dad is planning to buy one... I'll be test driving all the Honda vehicles this wknd (fun times :P)
If someone has purchased the new CRV and has any feedback on it, it'll be very helpful.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2007, 18:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Having owned since 2 weeks can tell u guys its one of the sweetest car on the road for its size and compared to cars on same price bracket. Bought a manual drive since not a auto person. The car has enough power to drive smoothly with 4 ppl on board. The only complain i have is only if it had little bit more of torque for the low end pick up. Though the overal torque band does the job but a bit more could have been a bonus. Ride was perfectly fine a litle harsh on heavy broken roads but does wel by lowering presure on the tires bx 1 or 2 psi. Overal great handler beter then most cars i have driven.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2007, 19:12   #13
BHPian

I do not like the looks of current CR-V. The looks are too rounded. The earlier version looked fantastic. the new interiors are nice though
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2007, 21:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Default -

Front looks a tad out of symetry but once u keep looking at it everyday u kinda start liking it. Though the color like black disguise dat awkward confused look of the grill and blends it with the body.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2007, 22:59   #15
BHPian

Want a new combination Looks of Safari & engine/accessories of CRV

BTW, the crashed Civic looks scary

POGU
pogusingh is offline   Reply With Quote