Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th February 2007, 01:12   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Drove the Swift Today and here are my views : -

Gearbox is not that great. Performance is good, Tyres are puny, third gear cornered 90 degrees and it wheel spined badly at the tap of the accelerator. But the car is terribly equiped. Most of the features are missing which is really very sad.
What features are missing compared to VXi???

Wheelspin in third gear???
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 10:22   #47
BHPian

If waiting is 2-2.5 months, is it leagly possible to cancel booking before the scheduled delivery? (Say after 4 weeks after booking). Further, if prices come down (this may happen if Getz Diesel/ Logan come in the period) will I be charged less?
cartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 11:14   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartech View Post
If waiting is 2-2.5 months, is it leagly possible to cancel booking before the scheduled delivery? (Say after 4 weeks after booking). Further, if prices come down (this may happen if Getz Diesel/ Logan come in the period) will I be charged less?
Dont think there will be such a long waiting period...

ATleast in trvandrum, there is no such lag, i think... My friend got the car within 2 days of booking...
Old 6th February 2007, 11:20   #49
Senior - BHPian

Its twenty days here with ABS.

Yes wheelspin in third thanks to the massive torque for that small engine.

Features missing are Rear Demister, Wiper and many more cant recall at the moment.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 12:35   #50
BHPian

Here is a more detailed missing features list.

1. Driver seat height adjuster
2. Rear window wiper and demister
3. Automatic climate control
4. Electromagnetic tailgate opener
5. Only 4 door central locking
6. No built in security system
7. Dashboard clock
8. Rear Parcel shelf
9. Body and Bumper Moulding
10. No details yet on availablity of ABS outside the metros
dileepd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2007, 14:10   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepd11 View Post
Here is a more detailed missing features list.

1. Driver seat height adjuster
2. Rear window wiper and demister
3. Automatic climate control
4. Electromagnetic tailgate opener
5. Only 4 door central locking
6. No built in security system
7. Dashboard clock
8. Rear Parcel shelf
9. Body and Bumper Moulding
10. No details yet on availablity of ABS outside the metros
Are you comaring with the ZXi Swift????

As far as i can see, all these features are not available in the VXi too... The VDi is the equivalent of VXi...

Anybody heard of a car called Verna CRDi??? Its priced much higher than the fully loaded petrol version, but the feautures list is similar to the entry level petrol version... Same is the case with the Ford Fiesta TDCi... The diesel costs much more than the petrol, but is not where as loaded as the 1.6 variant...

The Verna CRDi commands a premium of 1.2L over the petrol... Ford also commands 1.2L for its diesel variant over petrol...

Atleast in Maruit's case, they have priced that car between the petrol variants... That too just 55k over the case version... An ZDi variant would have been good too... But, there will only be few takers for that variant (Where you could buy a good petrol sedan for the price)

And... All other cars in class are equipped similarly... Its only the Swift ZXi that offers an out and out features list...

Right now, Its the best deal out there... Dont think Getz CRDi would be able to beat the pricing, unless the use the old accent 3 cylinder engine (even then tax will be high forcing bigger price)...

Old 6th February 2007, 14:55   #52
Senior - BHPian

But dont Maruti get the excise benefit which Hyundai and Ford dont. Atleast they should have it as option.

Just had a word with peter. He says the tunnig box will have 90bhp and 215NM of torque and boy thats gonna be lots of fun.
Old 6th February 2007, 15:10   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But dont Maruti get the excise benefit which Hyundai and Ford dont. Atleast they should have it as option.

Just had a word with peter. He says the tunnig box will have 90bhp and 215NM of torque and boy thats gonna be lots of fun.

215 Nm of torque for a Swift????????????????

oh! boy o' boy...

Those figures beat the Octavia too... And that too, in this small car... Its gonna be fun...

Old 6th February 2007, 15:19   #54
Senior - BHPian

Yes thats true. Infact i was just on Skodas site checking the Octavias figures. Bhp was rated at 66KW so i checked in ACI. Well since Swift will have a better power to weight and torque to weight, its easily going to be better then the Octavia.

Received the quotation for VDi with ABS and ZXi and it turns out that the VDi is much more expensive then the ZXi.

Cant we put Climate control on the Swift VDi??
Old 6th February 2007, 15:33   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes thats true. Infact i was just on Skodas site checking the Octavias figures. Bhp was rated at 66KW so i checked in ACI. Well since Swift will have a better power to weight and torque to weight, its easily going to be better then the Octavia.

Received the quotation for VDi with ABS and ZXi and it turns out that the VDi is much more expensive then the ZXi.

Cant we put Climate control on the Swift VDi??
VDi is not... VDi with ABS must be...

Check out the ownership review...
21 kmpl in bangalore city... Man!!!

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-in...er-600-km.html
Old 8th February 2007, 02:38   #56
BHPian

Default My first car

After using my parents Indica Xeta for about 10 months i finally got delivery of my own Azzure Grey VDi today. I hadn't got a test drive and so it was my first experience with the car. The car was really quiet to such an extent that i couldn't determine whether it was on or off until i looked at the indicators on the speedometer.

The third gear is posing problems for me as i had got into the bad habit of driving in the third gear at very low speeds after using an indica for almost 10 months. The car came to a stop in the middle of the road about 5 or 6 times the very first day most of them while taking u turns at slow speeds and all of them in the third gear. But let me assure you its nothing with the car, just my difficulty to switch over from some indica xeta habits i developed. Hope to get over it within a week. During all of these 6 mid road halts i had much difficulty in determining wether the engine was really of or on. Twice I even ended up cranking the already on engine. Hope it hasent caused any damage.

Dint get much time on the car as the delivery was made only at 7:30 PM. Couldn't even take it to the accessories shop for the whole load of things i had ordered. So the car is virtually empty right now but it still makes a great statement for itself without any extras on. Hoping to get it fully rigged up tomorrow morning itself. Shall post pics and more findings later.
dileepd11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 10:23   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on your car. But what you are doing is labouring the engine by taking U-turns in third gear. Please downshift and use the appropriate gear for such low speeds.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 10:42   #58
Senior - BHPian

Default Swift Diesel first driving impression

After so much hype for the Swift Diesel, I got myself to get out on a lazy Sunday afternoon and sign up for a test drive last weekend. Was expecting a rush of people for a test drive but surprisingly, the car was just parked away in a corner. Got the car immediately and since the showroom was located on the highway itself, I knew i would get a decent drive. I wont get into details since many BHpians have already driven it . Just putting a few noted points.

1) Start up the car and you dont feel there is a diesel powerplant under the hood. Didnt feel heavy at all. Only when rev it at a standstill you get the feeling about the diet of this car.

2) The gearbox is definately not as smooth as the petrol but it ist all that bad either. It still has a prett short throw.

3) I did feel a bit of lag around 1500 rpm but after that the engine is really smooth. The torque on this car is fantastic and she really pulls. 190 Nm on the diesel compared to 113 Nm on the petrol (reference tech specs on the brochure). The torque makes the engine really responsive and it felt good to rip it on the empty Sunday Highway. Pulled it to almost 90 kph in second gear. Not sure of the top speed (ACI claims 160). I managed a 140.

4)The steering felt a bit flimsy at times. The tyres on the car are really skinny and I found the dash pretty dull. You dont get climate control AC on the diesel.

5) Braking is decent but I feel the could do better with the optional ABS. Handling is ok but i felt bit of understeer at times.

6) Prices on road Mumbai for the Vdi is 5.69 lakhs and 5.92 if you want ABS. I think thats a bit pricey for the equipment you get but then thats just my opinion.

That just about sums up the drive. I have covered most of the things I observed. Just my two paise on the Swift Diesel. A good car but could have been better (ie price and equipment levels)

Last edited by Dippy : 8th February 2007 at 10:43.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 11:24   #59
BHPian

I did a cost and price analysis in posts via spread sheets of Swift earlier, however even though you can recover the excess cost in 3 yrs or so, still at 5 lac+ it is too much for a small car. I think the Indian mind set will not yet be open for a small car for that price. You could get a Baleno Lxi for 5.5 on road !!!

Maruti should have come out with a smaller car with Diesel to break the market (and it's own line of models as well )

Features wise, economoy wise, performance wise, there is no competition miles away. Maruti Suzuki is really on a roll during 2007 with its impressive line of models.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 18:53   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepd11 View Post
During all of these 6 mid road halts i had much difficulty in determining wether the engine was really of or on. Twice I even ended up cranking the already on engine. Hope it hasent caused any damage.
Please blip the acclerator pedal and watch the tacho. If the revs rise then its ON.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote