Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 8th April 2007, 09:52   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverR View Post
Just a thought..... based on engine cc, the Palio 1.1 is competing against the Zen, Wagon R, Santro, Getz 1.1 and U-VA, right??? But if one were to look at prices, the Getz and U-VA gets pushed to a different group level. (for the base model of Getz and U-VA, one can get the top end model of the other cars)
Thats cause Getz and U-VA are made to be premium hatches... But, brought down the engine capacity to reduce the price (tax benefits) to compete with the Swift...
Old 8th April 2007, 10:47   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Thats cause Getz and U-VA are made to be premium hatches... But, brought down the engine capacity to reduce the price (tax benefits) to compete with the Swift...
Absolutely correct. By the way, hope this is not getting off topic. But I was just thinking as a buyer. Normally as a buyer, my price range would be set. So Wagon R, Zen, Santro and Palio 1.1 falls in one range. If I were to be in the next price range, then I would be looking at the cars like Getz, U-VA, Swift etc... So from a buyer's perspective, a Palio 1.1 and the Getz 1.1 and U-VA would not be in the same league. After all, normally, a buyer would prefer to get a all-frills, top loaded model rather than a base model of the next car group. These are just my thoughts.

( OT) And incidently, I do not think detuning the Getz would help it sell more. I personally would not buy a detuned car when there are more powerful and better equipted hatchs, preminum hatchs and even C segment cars at the same price range. In fact I would prefer to buy the 1.3 Getz and have recommened that to a friend, rather than get the 1.1. I think the Palio 1.1 in comparision has been well positioned.
Old 8th April 2007, 15:48   #33
BHPian

Considering only other cars in that price range, if you compare the Zen Estilo, Wagon R and 1.1 Palio Stile, there's probably no contest in terms of space, build quality, and probably fuel efficiency - the Palio seems to be the better choice; interiors are maybe equally good or bad.
But I think the strongest test drive impression on me was the uncomfortable driver positioning and the rear seat headroom (a little cabin noise can be lived with). If other buyers' impressions match, the increase in Palio sales post-Stile may not be spectacular.
I suppose if they market the 1.6 a little bit, at that price, it might be a hit.
Old 9th April 2007, 17:39   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
i find that the palio is a 2 valves per cylinder, SOHC, whereas the getz prime is 4 valves per cylinder, SOHC. can anyone point out which is better and in what way please?

i found this link which explains it, but not sure what it translates to for the end user

SOHC vs DOHC Valvetrains
More valves means that intake and exhaust gases can flow more freely because there are more openings for them to flow through. This increases the power of the engine
On single and double overhead cam engines, the cams are driven by the crankshaft, via either a belt or chain called the timing belt or timing chain. These belts and chains need to be replaced or adjusted at regular intervals. If a timing belt breaks, the cam will stop spinning and the piston could hit the open valves.
Old 9th April 2007, 19:45   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatin View Post
Considering only other cars in that price range, if you compare the Zen Estilo, Wagon R and 1.1 Palio Stile, there's probably no contest in terms of space, build quality, and probably fuel efficiency - the Palio seems to be the better choice; interiors are maybe equally good or bad.
But I think the strongest test drive impression on me was the uncomfortable driver positioning and the rear seat headroom (a little cabin noise can be lived with). If other buyers' impressions match, the increase in Palio sales post-Stile may not be spectacular.
I suppose if they market the 1.6 a little bit, at that price, it might be a hit.
The deciding factor will be the service...

Whether costumers are willing to buy a FIAT car from TATA, ignoring MULs fantastic service... If so, palio sales will go up... otherwise, Stile or no stile...

(Palio was always a nice VFM car... Its not that car, but the service and dealerships that let it down)
Old 10th April 2007, 09:31   #36
BHPian

GeekSrik...
Thanks for the Nice review...
Actually I believe STILE can deliver more than 15 km/ltr with sparingly AC in city. I think the engine is same as that with UNO but with a 32-bit Engine Management system (Please correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 10th April 2007, 14:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineshine View Post
GeekSrik...
Thanks for the Nice review...
Actually I believe STILE can deliver more than 15 km/ltr with sparingly AC in city. I think the engine is same as that with UNO but with a 32-bit Engine Management system (Please correct me if I'm wrong)
aha. Thats a nice observation. Anybody to support this?
Old 10th April 2007, 14:21   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmoquattro View Post
aha. Thats a nice observation. Anybody to support this?
I do not . The Uno engines were 1.0 and 1.2 as far as I know. The 1.2 came with Single Point Fuel injection.
Old 10th April 2007, 21:54   #39
BHPian

It does nt matter whether it is 32 or 64 bit, neither it does matter how many valves it has. What really does matter is how it performs , how much mileage it gives and how reliable it is ?
Old 11th April 2007, 13:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

IMO, the new Palio Stile is overpriced considering that it only attracts 16% excise duty, to avail which a sub-1200 CC engine was introduced.

Interestingly, the ex-showroom price of the base model of Palio Stile (Rs. 3.49 lacs) is the same as the ex-showroom price of the top end model of Indica Xeta which incidentally attracts 24% excise, being equipped with a 1400 CC engine. The quality difference notwithstanding, there would be many who would be tempted to go in for the Xeta, more so because Tata even honours warranty on CNG-fitted Xetas as long as the fitment is done by the Tata-approved vendor.

I think the Tata-FIAT strategy (being dictated by Tata of course) is to kill the Palio brand. That explains the pricing stategy as well as Tata-Fiat's sales target for 2007-08: to sell just 3000 FIAT cars!
Old 11th April 2007, 14:09   #41
Senior - BHPian

Just test drove palio 1.1

1. Interiors are not really that bad but steering wheel certainly didnt need the beige treatment. It may get dirty too easily though.

2. The glasses are made in brazil. Dont really know how many other parts are also brought in. Maybe they are waiting for good sales before homologation.

3. The engine bay has carpetting for bettering NVH, but in my test-drive I found the humm to be slightly higher than acceptable.

4. Sports was not in stock but the salesperson said all the 5 units will be alloy wheels and 1.6 will only be available on order.

5. He said tata motors wont be carrying diesel because tata hasnt collobrated for diesel cars. maybe fiat dealers will have first preference here.

6. The headlamp cluster and fog lamps are excellent looking.

7. I didnt find that fiat thud while closing the doors and even the bonnet was lighter. Also I dont know if its true but glass seemed to be slimmer. I compard the doors of adventure sports with Indigo marina and fiat had an edge. Today I closed stile's door and marina's door and there was little difference.

8 The car is extremely driveable but overtaking on the highway will need prior calculation. City driving will be butter smooth. The car doesnt take off well in 5th at 40kmph.

Overall I wouldnt want to upgrade from my WagonR.
Old 12th April 2007, 12:07   #42
BHPian

Palio stile website mentions that the engine (1.1L I presume) has 30% less moving parts compared to other cars. What are implications? Has FIAT compromised on something?
Old 12th April 2007, 12:16   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartech View Post
Palio stile website mentions that the engine (1.1L I presume) has 30% less moving parts compared to other cars. What are implications? Has FIAT compromised on something?
Yes. The car cannot move sideways. It can go forward, backward and round and round, left and right. Not sideways. Sob.
Old 12th April 2007, 13:46   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Yes. The car cannot move sideways. It can go forward, backward and round and round, left and right. Not sideways. Sob.

Thats a goood one. Which means, Cartech, if you are in the mood for some " The fast & the Furious - Tokyo drift' kinda drifting, Palio Stile is not the car for you.There are better cars for going sideways... err Santro or Wagon R probably.

@ TypO, 30% fewer moving parts right?You think the brakes are still fitted on the Palio?

Last edited by roms : 12th April 2007 at 13:48.
Old 12th April 2007, 23:00   #45
BHPian

Finally, got a chance to test drive the Palio 'Stile' today...

Model Tested :- 1.1 Stile SL

First Impressions:- The car definitely looks good in the flesh. tyres are a bit skinny though...

Interiors:- Can't seem to like the beige theme... especially the beige on the steering wheel.

Driving impressions:-
This is where the palio was a BIG let down!
For one, the pick up is absolutely abysmal! 57 Bhp is way tooo less for any car nearing a tonne in weight.
With 5 people in the car up a small gradient, with the AC off, the car practically was screaming its guts off in 3rd...and the accelerator pedal had to be pressed almost to the floor to build momentum...
It's like a deisel Indica this...come to think of it, all the specs are nearly the same...the weight, the torque, and the power!

Another point that i noticed, was that the refienment wasn't too good.
The hum is a little too audible inside the car.

But, there are 3 good points..
1) the Steering is direct with good feedback, and well assisted
2) Brakes are decent, and you can modulate them well
3) The AC doesn't put much of a load on the engine...

Also, since the car needs to be revved so hard to go anywhere in any gear...i am not so sure about the mileage figures that the dealer quoted (15 kmpl)

The dealer unfortunately had no stock of the 1.6 :-(

Also, the TATA dealership that I went to, weren't too knowledgeable abt the Stile...with one of them claiming that the 1.6 would give 15 kmpl too!
So much for 'Professional service by TATA'...

I had gone along to the dealership with some colleagues from work, and in fact, one of them is on the lookout for a new car, and this test drive has definitely put him off the fiat....just because of the poor pickup...
People come in with too many expectations only to be disappointed after the test drive...

I don't see FIat getting much success off the 1.1
The only way they can do good, is if they bring in the 1.3 JTD...and fast!
Closed Thread