Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 23rd April 2007, 19:17   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Wrong door.
Well if 1.1 gives significantly better FE than the competition you can accept 20 seconds. Otherwise a its a lame attempt to say "We too We too".
Nothing much to debate here, the flop show will show itself as dismal sales in a couple of months.
Whats wrong even if it gives the same FE as Santro and WagonR? The palio is much more roomy and built like a tank.
Old 23rd April 2007, 19:17   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By 2009 almost all vehicles will be using fiat technology to run their automobiles.
Yup now there is talk that gm too could use the suzuki-fiat-gm alliance for introducing diesel engines in India.
Old 23rd April 2007, 19:26   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
and built like a tank.
Can you substantiate that?
Old 23rd April 2007, 19:39   #109
Team-BHP Support

Trivia:
A Tata-Fiat dealership sold 8 Palio 1.1 Stile's on "Akshay Tritiya" in Pune and have bookings for another 6. I saw 5 on road in Pune already. Looks like Tata is doing good to Fiat and ummm nothing .
Old 23rd April 2007, 19:50   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Can you substantiate that?
Do I really need to?
Old 23rd April 2007, 20:08   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Do I really need to?
Please...Its high time.... even I want to know this.I have been hearing this for long. Atleast that 'TANK' part yarrr.
Old 23rd April 2007, 20:21   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
Please...Its high time.... even I want to know this.I have been hearing this for long. Atleast that 'TANK' part yarrr.
Why don't you drive and see for yourself?
Old 23rd April 2007, 20:41   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Why don't you drive and see for yourself?
I did...and liked it..... buttttttt... I could not figure out TANK part of it.
Old 23rd April 2007, 21:33   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do I really need to?
Yes. When someone claims something, intelligent people normally ask for proof.
Old 23rd April 2007, 22:39   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
I did...and liked it..... buttttttt... I could not figure out TANK part of it.
I think E_T meant 'battle-tank', referring to the fact that the Palio is of sound and robust built compared to it's rivals, even if it is a little underpowered. Apologies for the explanation if it was already obvious.

You can check this in any Tata Showroom. Open and shut a Palio or Adventure door. Feels heavier than a Honda Accord, and opens the same way in those stiff steps. Likewise, or more so, with the bonnet.

But all that additional metal isnt helping the FE cause too much.
Old 23rd April 2007, 22:45   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Do I really need to?
Well if you make a claim please substantiate it.
Its easy actually, you can post NCAP star ratings if available. If not, well..
Until you substantiate that, I can always say indica is built like a tank, and gives more mileage and better pickup than the 1.1 and also sips diesel.
But its my tank against your tank. None the better. Neither do you have any NCAP ratings, neither do I.
Till then this is just a waste of time, which deviates from the topic.
The topic is Fiat Stilo 1.1
This car is not better, nor worse built than 1.2 palio. All it has is new tail lights and detuned engine. So whats left to discuss is whether the 1.1 was a right thing, or should Fiat have stuck with a more powerful engine. Whether a facelift will save the company, or will it be doom, as Tata press release suggests(3000 cars a year, same as an accord?).
All the arguments like Palio is the safest car, its built like a tank etc., have been discussed before. What this thread is about is whether fiat is doing the right thing.
To put things in perspective, The mercedes W124 was an amazing car. Great build, great engine etc., but would you buy it today? No, you would buy a newer model. If mercedes were selling the new E class and and W124 side by side, with W124 selling for 10% less, will people buy the W124?
Thats what is being questioned.
A 5 year old design, being stripped down. A step in the reverse direction. When the world is moving on. When Fiat is giving 1.3 JTD engine which is the best diesel engine in India selling in a car below 6 lakh, why does the fiat car come with , no better way to put it, junk.
So lets discuss the topic.
Whether Palio was a good car or not was discussed 5 years ago. Now its whether its a step forward for Fiat, or they just deepened their grave by another 2 feet?
Old 23rd April 2007, 22:48   #117
BHPian

1-year old Palio 1.6, just jumped off from a step of 2 ft and I thought I need to spend heavy money to correct the stuff under chassis.

On inspection, Manipal Motors of bangalore said, the FIAT build quality is so good and if it had been an indica or indigo, you have to replace lower-arm.

So, felt very happy and I may term it as a "Built like a Tank".
Old 23rd April 2007, 22:54   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
I think E_T meant 'battle-tank', referring to the fact that the Palio is of sound and robust built compared to it's rivals, even if it is a little underpowered. Apologies for the explanation if it was already obvious.
No it wasnt. We're still curious about this build like a tank part. Most of us are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
You can check this in any Tata Showroom. Open and shut a Palio or Adventure door. Feels heavier than a Honda Accord, and opens the same way in those stiff steps. Likewise, or more so, with the bonnet.

But all that additional metal isnt helping the FE cause too much.
Like tsk says lets talk facts. Not perceptions. Else it will always be a case of my tank is better than yours.
Old 23rd April 2007, 23:04   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc View Post
1-year old Palio 1.6, just jumped off from a step of 2 ft and I thought I need to spend heavy money to correct the stuff under chassis.
Suzuki Vitara, dumped into a ditch off a high-speed highway, airbags deployed, no glasses except front passenger and windscreen, door locks not working, stuck in 4w high, did the hillclimb to match a turbo Esteem and RS. So Suzukis are built like SUPER tanks?

Give us proof. Or stop mouthing off.

tsk, no NCAP rating. Fiat sells us only 3rd world stuff, fit for us low Asians.

Last edited by v1p3r : 23rd April 2007 at 23:05.
Old 23rd April 2007, 23:10   #120
Senior - BHPian

what does build like a tank really mean?

No car is going to be built like a tank,what such a statement generally refers to is that the car has a strong body structure which can handle abuse and rough conditions and remains rattle free over period of time.

The palio does have a solid body which is rattle free,all european cars are built like this.
Euro NCAP ratings consider more than body rigidity when the declare their scores and applies only to cars sold in Europe if that helps.

If people dont like a particular brand it is fine but when one starts nitpicking it shows the hatred.

Last edited by merve_extreme : 23rd April 2007 at 23:16.
Closed Thread