Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2007, 23:44   #16
BHPian

Hmmm...

Hey Geek, looks like you had all the time in the world to test drive / ride and write to day?. Hmmm... excellent observations and thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
Due to the image of a hi-fi city, bangalore has always had its costs high, be it cost of living or cost of driving . have seen this city transform literally from a strict pensioners paradise and garden city into a city full of choking traffic, rude behaviour, insanity on the roads, climate and costs - all in the past 25 years of staying here. hyundai seems to make life worse.

btw, i am thinking of test driving an aveo UVA tomorrow. want to check out that also for once.
Yeah, Yeah and yeah... Talk about it... I remembered McLaren1885 mentioning in one of his posts that in he watched Fast n Furious for 25 bucks in Manipal. lol - Let's not go off topic...

Certainly, i am waiting for UVA...

Cheers,
Jai
Old 7th April 2007, 00:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

One interesting observation could be that when this Getz prime is underpowerd, we are holding the alternatives as the Palio Stile, the swift and the Swift, but what about the Ikon 1.3? I think it has more response then the GETZ 1.3 and although an trifle long in the tooth, is a fine car nevertheless (with minor glitches here and there) at almost the same price.
Old 8th April 2007, 00:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
Certainly, i am waiting for UVA...
Isn't UVA already available?
Old 14th April 2007, 14:51   #19
Team-BHP Support

Just got a chance to sit and see the quality levels of the Getz prime 1.3 GLS model.

The quality has taken a nose dive in the interior. The A-pillar and roof are now dull grey.

The dash board previously had a soft rubber feel to it although the print pattern was bad.

This has been replaced by a normal print pattern but the quality of the plastic is very bad and hard cheap type.

Even the brushed aluminium finish looks flimsy. The steering is not soft to hold.

As expected since the model is also available with a 1.1L engine they have done weight reduction by 100kgs.
Old 15th April 2007, 18:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
We bought it for 4.9L in Bombay and got it registered in Pune inclusive in that price tag! Of course got some discount on it!
hello moralfibre

wanted to ask you the mileage you get in your car. i heard the 1.3 getz gives only somewhere near 10 with a/c is that true?
Old 15th April 2007, 18:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

I have a feeling that FIAT (courtesy TATA) are getting their act together finally. If they price their products right (they have the technology), they may well gain the covetted position the build quality of the car deserves.......if ONLY they get the A.S.S right !!!! May better sense prevail !!!

Cheers
Old 28th May 2007, 15:26   #22
BHPian

Last Saturday I had been for a TD of the new Getz Prime 1.1. I’d like to share my observations with you.

My preconceived notions:
01.Great build quality
02.Maximum space
03.Poor engine (1.1)
04.Average handler
05.Not value for money
06.One of the best B+ hatches

Opinion after the Test Drive:
01.Engine: Honestly, after driving the Palio 1.1, I wasn’t expecting any thing great from this one. However this Santro engine is more than capable under city driving conditions even with the AC on! The engine has good low end torque and never felt under powered under city driving. However the engine is not rev friendly and felt lethargic on Highway. It lacked mid and top end punch. On the whole, the engine performed much more than what I had expected.

02.Build Quality: Well, when ever I looked at the Getz, it always appealed to me as one of the better built products by Hyundai. Unfortunately, I was proved wrong. The build quality is as good (or bad) as the Santro’s! The doors are skinny and come with a door slam counter. When the counter exceeds the max slam limit, you either change the doors or the hinges! The biggest surprise came when I lifted the bonnet with both my hands and realized that it was ultra light! I was able to bend the bonnet into an arch without any effort! Total card board like steel used! The interiors were made up of extremely poor plastic. The hand break lever felt too fragile to be used. I am sure if you pull it hard, you’ll up root it! The lever was really free as you can’t feel the cable being pulled! What was it pulling then?

03.Space: I think, by Space, Hyundai means Volume and not real usable space. I searched a lot for that extra space but failed to find it. When the front seats were adjusted as per my driving position, the leg space at the rear was as much as in the Palio. Even the boot space didn’t look any bigger than the Palio’s. Where is that theoretical extra space? Ok, there is ample space above the 1.5 foot long front console. But is it really usable?

04.Handling: Steering was numb with average feed back. I must confess that the gear shift was extremely smooth. Very short and smooth gear shifts make it fun to change gears! I only remember the NHC having better gear shifts! There was quite a bit of body roll and high speed cornering wasn’t inspiring. It wasn’t insulating the outside noise well. Overall a very average car to drive. No real fun.

05.AC: Not good enough to cool the car with its extra unusable space.

I remember the Swift test drive that I had done sometime back. The Swift is miles above the Getz even in terms of build quality (IMHO). Swift is a fantastic package for the price it is sold. Swift diesel with the Fiat engine would any day be better than the yet to be launched Getz CRDI. Swift wins hands down here.

Maruti with their new SX4 (Petrol and yet to be launched Diesel) looks like the undisputed Emperor of the Indian auto industry.
Old 28th May 2007, 16:12   #23
BHPian

Getz, Good Car, Poor AC and dealerships

I am in the process of finalizing hatchback for my wife and as part of the process planned to take a TD of Getz 1.1 with her. As we live in Gurgaon, so we called up the two dealers of Hyundai, Safdarjung and Orion.

Safdarjung Hyundai had no Getz1.1 and said that they will call me once they will get one. Its been more than a week and I have not received any call from them. The other dealer Orion had a car which we could TD, so we promptly went there . The first thing that struck us once we entered the showroom was the dirt which was present on the vehicles parked there, they were just looking so dirty. Anyways we asked the receptionist for a TD of getz 1.1, she tried calling sales guys but no one was available, so she took us to their basement where the TD vehicle was parked, we saw the vehicle were not impresses, it was white colored car, dirty as if its coming straight out African savanaas, we sat in the car and then came the first thing that impressed us, the fake metal finish looked nice, the car greets you with a massive dashboard and good looking console, l also liked the fit and finish of the interiors, the brushed metal finishing really looks nice.

We asked for a TD and they said that they don’t have petrol, so waited for 30 min in which the guard of the dealership went to get some petrol for us, anyways after spending about an hour got a chance to drive the damm vehicle.

We started off the engine and it seemed silent and vibration free, good start we thought, put it in first gear and took off, engine felt really responsive and gear shift perfect, no notchiness about it, very direct and precise gear shift. The car took off nicely, it was very hot and we put on the AC, minimal impact on the performance and car delivered adequate power for a hatchback. But while we were experiencing the car, one thing which we missed was that AC was not effective at all, in fact it felt at par with my M800 AC. Little or no chill! Too bad, asked the sales guy sitting in the back seat about it and he said ‘ sir santro ka engine hai, itna hi thanda karega’ . Puzzled we looked at each other, we asked for a extended TD to improve its performance and they agreed, so off we net on NH8 expressway. Car was behaving nicely, no loss of power on 5th gear and easy climb on long flyovers but still extremely poor AC. We came back after a TD of more than 15 kms and still sweating, agreed it was one of the hottest days of Gurgaon, but that bad a AC, sorry Hyundai, you need to better it to sell the car in North India.

Came back impressed with the Car apart from AC and to crooscheck took another TD with different dealer, same pathetic attitude and AC persuaded me to consider other options.

So, Hyundai, you have lost one customer due to poor AC and even worse sales and service staff.

Cheers!
Old 5th June 2007, 21:12   #24
BHPian

The Getz Prime is down quite heavily by price. picked up mine at Chennai for 4.3 L, on road
Old 5th June 2007, 23:23   #25

Leave the Getz and Get the Palio 1.6 Sport.
Shear Driving Pleasure combined with very good FE.
A.S.S. will only get better with Tata.
Also pm me what deal you got from ur dealer.
Old 6th June 2007, 05:24   #26
BHPian

Seems liek Getz quality has taken a nose dive since I test drove it in Nov 06
I test drove teh GLS version and boy it had quality. In fact I cursed myself for not purchasing a Getz GLS 2005 model driven 25k kms for 3 lacs flat , that too without a scratch. The engine back then was 1.3
Old 6th June 2007, 13:58   #27
BHPian

Palio stays 'old' with an old design and outdated interiors.

Moreover, friends of mine who own palios have only cribbed about how Tata Concorde has messed up their cars (at least in bangalore & chennai)
Really doubt the excellent A.S.S. that you talk about..
Old 6th June 2007, 18:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin_seattle View Post
Seems liek Getz quality has taken a nose dive since I test drove it in Nov 06
Bang on. Just had a short stint in the Prime 1.1 and that was my first reaction as well. The quality of the plastics feels so downmarket in comparison to the Getz that were sold a couple of years ago. That fake aluminium gear knob looks rubbish and the the car suddenly feels that it does'nt deserve the higher price any longer. I thought my car was supposed to have cheap interiors.But the Getz Prime felt a lot worse and flimsy in comparison.

The drive however, was fantastic! It just does'nt feel underpowered, atleast not as much as I had expected it to be.The car is very driveable in any gear and I really admired the Santro's Epsilon engine.My previous encounter with a Getz was 2 years back.I felt the 1.3 engined car was sluggish then.The a/c was bad even then.But with the Prime 1.1, you actually dont miss the 1.3 all that much, atleast in the city.The controls, clutch, steering feel is light and the car is easy to potter around in. The brakes are pretty good as well.The a/c was bad,I kept sweating throughout the TD.I can only imagine it getting worse with full load.

In comparison, the Palio Stile 1.1 I test drove a few days back feels like garbage.It really does.The Getz Prime is by far the better enginereed car.Its much better to drive and own, and might also be more Fuel efficient.The prime, however, is bad on VFM front.4.5 L for the base version GLE is a bit too steep. Overall, good car but bad pricing.

P.S - The Odo and Speedo were diconnected in this particular car as well.I feel sorry for the poor chap who will finally drive that car out of the showroom.

Last edited by roms : 6th June 2007 at 18:59.
Old 6th June 2007, 19:20   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sankey View Post
Leave the Getz and Get the Palio 1.6 Sport.
Shear Driving Pleasure combined with very good FE.
A.S.S. will only get better with Tata.
Also pm me what deal you got from ur dealer.
Care to elaborate on what you mean by very good FE for the 1.6 sport? from users here I gather one can expect it to be 10 or higher (but definitely not lower). are you talking about any other figures?
Old 17th June 2007, 18:31   #30
BHPian

I test Drove the Getz Prime GLS today (1.3 l engine).

The gearshift is especially slick and the car pulled well with the air conditioner on. The engine was refinement personified and it felt like it had a nice flat torque curve. Probably not a free revving engine, but I liked the low end torque. Overall a nice driving experience.

However the interiors were nothing special, certainly not the best in the segment (I like the interiors of the Aveo UVA in the B+ segment). The dashboard, door handles, etc., did not smack of the reputed Getz quality.

Overall a very decent car, one that I would have bought if the different variants were priced 50k less

Thanks,
Amit.

Most Viewed