Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2007, 14:25   #91
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,430
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Just happened to read BS Motoring's review on Logan. Some points the reviewer made looked pretty interesting:
1. The front power window control is on the dash because Renault wanted to save the door costs by not having electricals included there.
2. The dials do not have redline marked because they wanted to use the same ones for petrol and diesel cars.

So much for cost cutting!

Source:
Top Story - A no-nonsense car, anyone? - Business Standard Motoring
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 14:31   #92
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Just happened to read BS Motoring's review on Logan. Some points the reviewer made looked pretty interesting:
I read that too, but I had some questions on those observations:

1. The front power window control is on the dash because Renault wanted to save the door costs by not having electricals included there.

If no electricals are included on the front doors, how do the power windows move? Obviously the motor and the wiring for it has to be in the door panels. So that observation by BSM is pretty stupid.

2. The dials do not have redline marked because they wanted to use the same ones for petrol and diesel cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
So much for cost cutting!
Amen! And to think that our journos bought that logic and actually published it in all seriousness !!!!!!!!

Source:
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 14:35   #93
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,018
Thanked: 3,471 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
They can't do that GTO, they have to buy 8Lac version. In india all taxis have to be white. Logan does not come in white in low end versions to prevent taxi owners buying it. thats what I meant by alienating that segment.
I think you got that point incorrect there.
You do find cabs in various dark shades too... just that white is the sort of accepted norm.

Take a look at the Ambys in Kerala for instance. They have taxi licence plates, and can be seen in various colours besides white. I dont think there is a specific rule as such.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 14:37   #94
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,430
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
If no electricals are included on the front doors, how do the power windows move? Obviously the motor and the wiring for it has to be in the door panels. So that observation by BSM is pretty stupid.
Hmmm... I never thought of that too. Looks like I am as stupid as those journos
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 14:45   #95
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 257 Times
Default

E_T, this has to be one of the best reviews that I've read. So what do we have here? A pretty plain & boring car which has a few pluses but they don't stand out at all, certainly not when compared to the competition.

Disappointing really, I'd expected much more from this car
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 14:56   #96
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 1,317 Times
Default

Thanks guys for the appreciation.... makes the effort worthwhile.
The problem with the logan is that everything just works, the engine the suspension... there's nothing that stands out, there's nothing that would make you want to drive it, the X-factor as they say.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2007, 16:21   #97
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N.A
Posts: 6,834
Thanked: 1,503 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
Hmmm... I never thought of that too. Looks like I am as stupid as those journos
Nope there is another explanation for cost-cutting. They probably wanted to use the same interior door panels for the power window and non-power window models. All they need to do for the manual windows is to drill a hole for the winder and put an ambassador-like metal cap on it.

Heights of cost-cutting. I think Carlos Ghosn is taking his reputation too seriously. They're cutting costs like nobody else and are yet not the most economical option - there's something wrong with this approach.

Last edited by Steeroid : 18th April 2007 at 16:25.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 11:17   #98
BHPian
 
arif_t01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Trivandrum, Ker
Posts: 228
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

And i can't understand the logic behind introducing Aluminium/Steel inserts in Dash, centre console, around A/C vents and even in the Gear knob, if they were trying to keep cost-cutting to the max. maybe

I mean, all the other car manufacturers introduced them for increasing the snob value, right?
arif_t01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 11:27   #99
Senior - BHPian
 
Dippy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai, India
Posts: 7,269
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Nope there is another explanation for cost-cutting. They probably wanted to use the same interior door panels for the power window and non-power window models. All they need to do for the manual windows is to drill a hole for the winder and put an ambassador-like metal cap on it.

Heights of cost-cutting. I think Carlos Ghosn is taking his reputation too seriously. They're cutting costs like nobody else and are yet not the most economical option - there's something wrong with this approach.
Steeroid, carrying forward your point and after reading E Ts review on the car, I came to a conclusion that there is a lot of cost cutting in the Logan. But inspite of this the Logan really isnt low priced. I'm sure the Mumbai price for a diesel Logan will exceed 7 lakhs.

Got a call from the Renault showroom yesterday offering a test drive. Might add mytwo bits after a TD on Sunday
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 11:35   #100
Team-BHP Support
 
benbsb29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 8,018
Thanked: 3,471 Times
Default

Awaiting results from your TD, Dippy.
Somehow, as of the standings so far, the Logan doesnt seem to have any particular reason why a customer should bother with it, and not go with the competition.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 13:21   #101
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: noida
Posts: 1,049
Thanked: 297 Times
Default Maverick

The logan may be a priced a bit on the higher side . It should have been priced about 75 k lowerr for the DLS. However, at that price it does offer an Airbag, a trip computer and a music system whereas the Verna does not offer any thing. Renault would do well to look at features like climate control on the top end along with a tilt steering.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 15:02   #102
BHPian
 
DriverR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 331
Thanked: 180 Times
Default

[quote=raajks;414727]Clarification
========
Ground clearance is 172 mm and 155 (Laden)

One doubt.... When other cars mention gc of 160mm, 170mm etc, do they also mean the un-laden gc? If yes, then why oh why did the brilliant minds at Mahindra say gc of 155mm, and create a -ve impression! Frankly, I was extremely put off by that figure sitting in the specs data.
Anyways, does not matter to me. All the best to the people who buy the car. I would not buy it at the current prices, but I'm sure there will be takers for it. So wishing them the very best.
DriverR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 17:21   #103
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,846
Thanked: 375 Times
Default

I appreciate them for the effort, but they should have been careful with the pricing. To me, having just one reverse light at the rear is hideous !!


As far as I remember, the 1.3 Ikon used to have ONE reverse light in 2000 model, correct me if I am wrong. Not that I am for it, it definately looks weird. maybe M&M thought, if Ford can do it so can we !!!!

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 19th April 2007 at 17:22.
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 17:24   #104
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,846
Thanked: 375 Times
Default

From the looks of this thread I don't see many BHPians buying this car !!
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2007, 17:31   #105
BHPian
 
w 12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 402
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
As far as I remember, the 1.3 Ikon used to have ONE reverse light in 2000 model, correct me if I am wrong.
Cheers
you are right..even today many cars come with only one reverse light..including Indica / xeta. not sure about the indigo though..
w 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Review of Logan 1.5 DCi (Diesel) After 6500 KM's ezee Long-Term Ownership Reviews 91 12th September 2012 01:17
Indica DLS / DLS TURBO / DICOR?.....What BUY? musicmanaman Hatchbacks 20 8th May 2010 19:05
Advice for ICE for Logan dCi DLX anilkalvani In-Car Entertainment 5 13th May 2008 12:36
Dacia introduces New 85hp 1.5 dCi motor for Logan. ashutoshb The International Automotive Scene 7 12th September 2007 18:27
Indica NA DLS vs Turbo DLS vs Turbo DLG greenhorn Hatchbacks 10 5th May 2007 17:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks