Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th May 2007, 23:11   #256
Senior - BHPian

Guys/Mods

Can we have this thread discussing only sx4 relevant things please. guess there is too much of nhc/sx4 bashing still going on here. for that use the other thread under indian car scene section please
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2007, 23:22   #257
BHPian

guys i have a verna crdi + abs ...all my frns with nhc vtecs too and ohc vtec and fiestas are dead impressed ......we are all goin for a SX4 test drive in two weeks time this is kerala...its difficult to get a TD over here for us youngsters .......but please performance vise i dont think we need to think twice for who the winner is going to be.. n mileage too..and for that factor the breaks also...show me one car in this segment with all four disk brakes and ABS...wait for the test drive and vis a vis comparisons also.
sameel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 00:09   #258
Senior - BHPian

How many of you saying the NHC is crappy actually own one? I dont think many....the NHC is a great car. It wont be so easy to de-throne honda.

Drifter
drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 00:38   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
....the NHC is a great car. It wont be so easy to de-throne honda.

Drifter

After TD of SX-4 I'm sure it will give NHC some competition with its pricing but will never smash the NHC sales completely....
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 02:26   #260
Senior - BHPian

I took a brief TD of the SX4 today. Here is my impression of the same:
  • Build quality seems to be nice, doors close with a nice thud.
  • Interior plastics are ok overall but in some places are quite disappointing. The climate control knobs feel particularly flimsy to use.
  • Rear Leg room is a problem. Me & my friend tried to sit behind each other (Him in the driver's seat, me behind him) and my legs were touching the rear seat back when he had settled into a comfortbale position. Methinks two 6'ers sitting back to back are going to be uncomfortable.
  • Rear seat looks comfortable for 2 people only, 3 will be a squeeze.
  • It has quite huge ORVM's.
  • The car looks quite big, especially the rear end of the car.
  • The wheels look HUGE!
  • The performance is just about satisfactory. The car revs nicely but there is not much gain to be had from redlining her, as there is not much of a manic top end thrust like the OHC VTEC. (Sorry for the comparison but that is my benchmark car) All in all the accelaration is nice & mid-range is good but it's nothing exemplary.
  • Brakes are pretty good & on smooth, plain roads found the ABS unobtrusive.
  • Ride is firm but not uncomfortable.
  • The leather in the ZXi model (Optional) is quite disappointing in quality. Quite hard to feel & touch rather than the soft, cosseting feel it should have. Looks unimpressive.
  • Looks aren't bad at all and it looks quite decent. Not as bad as I had imagined but the excessive GC still stands out.
  • Front Brake calipers look quite poorly finished when viewed through the front Alloy wheel.
  • At 7.37L On-Road UP it is fantastic VFM!! If you're looking for a decent, well-equipped car look no further. Just for comparison the NHC EXi costs 7.30L on-road here!
Will try & post a more detailed review once I get to TD her more extensively.

Last edited by iraghava : 13th May 2007 at 02:34.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 05:19   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
The reason there is big difference in terms of technology/quality between MUL and Honda/Toyota/GM/Fiat cars.

Like how Swift deserves cheap rate than Getz, SX4 deserves it compared with its compitators.
Yeah, I can see the difference in the technology between the SX4 and the NHC. No climate control, no airbags, no EBD, no ABS, 50% less valves per cylinder, oh boy, the NHC is a bloody marvel of technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
....the NHC is a great car.
Greatly overpriced, if you ask me. And I'm a two-time former Honda owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
OT, but some of us think that SRK's KBC is much better than AB's.
Hear hear!!!

MOD NOTE: No personal attacks allowed

Last edited by Mpower : 13th May 2007 at 08:45.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 07:20   #262
BHPian

Quote:
I trust and respect MUL for producing great economy cars in India for public, but my debate is one can't compare MUL cars with Honda/Toyota/GM/Fiat.

The reason there is big difference in terms of technology/quality between MUL and Honda/Toyota/GM/Fiat cars.
Is there one? It isn't immediately apparent when you drive them, when you compare cars in the same bracket. As a company they were late entrants into the US market, and hence did not build up the deep pockets of Toyota and Honda, which both initially started as 'working class wheels'.

Quote:
Like how Swift deserves cheap rate than Getz, SX4 deserves it compared with its compitators.
I see that you are a previous Swift owner and somewhere on this forum you've probably already talked about your problems with it. I personally thought it was a good car. Agreed, MUL just redid the Esteem engine for the local market to keep price down rather than get in the 1.6block that they launched overseas. But Hyundai did something similar too with the Getz. The Getz sells with the Verna's 1.6 in Singapore/ Malaysia/ Europe.

Maruti's strength (and problem) is that is started pricing cars competitively (and hence cannot command a huge premium in most segments), but gives you the car with the promise of low maintenance and low spares costs etc.
wizardofid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 08:19   #263
Team-BHP Support

Few things here.
For those who don't know, along with my Conti, I drive a Swift ZXi regularly. I don't think it's inferior to the Getz in quality in any way. The only two things I don't like about it are the rear seat space and the poor allroud visibility. The engine and equipment levels in the Swift are really fantastic. I don't think it deserves a cheap rate compared to the Getz.
Though I don't like the NHC, there's no doubt that it's a good car. Quality wise it's better than the SX4. It is overpriced, but, that's what you pay for the Honda badge which has always commanded respect in India. Otherwise, an Audi would cost the same as a VW.
I'm a big Honda fan myself and believe that for the price, the Civic is the best car in the country.
But, give the SX4 its due. It's quite an improvement over the car it replaces, has similar power to the NHC VTec, is similar in size to the NHC and is wonderfully equipped. Suzuki and Honda are rivals all over the world. So I don't know why it shouldn't be compared to the NHC.
So let's stop bashing other cars. Each car has its pros and cons.
Aditya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 09:03   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This battle is like Swift (SX4) and Getz (NHC). But its sedan segment not hatch!
Nice comparison...

Both the Getz and the NHC... Well built, plain looking, OVERPRICED and sluggish... However... I wouldn't compare a Hyundai to a Honda...

However... We still argue over Getz vs Swift... But sales indicate who won... that too convincingly...

If this is also going to go the Swift vs Getz way.. Maruti would only be happy to let 20% of its customers go to the Honda dealership, in search of better quality...
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 09:09   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
  • Interior plastics are ok overall but in some places are quite disappointing. The climate control knobs feel particularly flimsy to use.
  • Rear Leg room is a problem. Me & my friend tried to sit behind each other (Him in the driver's seat, me behind him) and my legs were touching the rear seat back when he had settled into a comfortbale position. Methinks two 6'ers sitting back to back are going to be uncomfortable.
  • The wheels look HUGE!
  • The performance is just about satisfactory. The car revs nicely but there is not much gain to be had from redlining her, as there is not much of a manic top end thrust like the OHC VTEC. (Sorry for the comparison but that is my benchmark car) All in all the accelaration is nice & mid-range is good but it's nothing exemplary.
  • The leather in the ZXi model (Optional) is quite disappointing in quality. Quite hard to feel & touch rather than the soft, cosseting feel it should have. Looks unimpressive.
  • Looks aren't bad at all and it looks quite decent. Not as bad as I had imagined but the excessive GC still stands out.
  • Front Brake calipers look quite poorly finished when viewed through the front Alloy wheel.
  • At 7.37L On-Road UP it is fantastic VFM!! If you're looking for a decent, well-equipped car look no further. Just for comparison the NHC EXi costs 7.30L on-road here!
iraghava, this is perhaps one of the best summarized reviews i ve read in recent times on this forum. i found the plastics quite ok, not extremely disappointing. well actually plastics have always been the factor of debate in many cars! and it still rages on.

on the rear leg room i agree with you for 6 footers, thankfully my family is mostly under 5.5 except me. this rear seat not fitting the third person has always been the matter of discussion here. while i do agree this is an annoying factor, perhaps there is atleast one another car (is that the fiesta? not sure) which also has a raised middle seat at the rear.

comparing the performance of sx4 with vtec hc, is a criminal offence! vtec is of a different league altogether and is of supreme performance characteristics. i ve only driven the ohc vtec only once and the response of the car to your thoughts of steering, acceleration and braking is simply awesome. but coming back to the sx4, in the city, in the thick of the traffic, the 100 odd bhp does manage to pull 4-5 people with a/c sufficiently well. i do bear in mind that when i pay money for a non vtec engine, i dont obviously excpect vtec like performance.

the leather (i think dealer mentioned stanley) is quite of the rough type. its not those plush ones shown in the opened up top view of cars in ads atleast! definitely not plush. i would anyday say i like the cushioning of the aveo seats (non leather) better than this leather one i saw for the sx4

the GC has been a matter of debate as well, but atleast people who have driven the car dont seem to have much body roll, though its not tested well enough to make much comments or sense out of these short drives. that aside perhaps sx4 is one new car that is experimenting with GC high values so its to be seen what comes out of this experiment!

costwise, sx4 is propositioned lesser than honda with more goodies. i think the sx4 will appeal both to FE conscious junta and the elite alike, what with safety features and all. i can understand that honda did market research and decided no abs/airbags for now, people dont want it. but hey i thought honda was a premium brand with elite buyers, so had it given them abs/airbags earlier on, wouldnt they have bought it? the answer is a sure yes! anyways, i dont want to go into why honda didnt release it earlier on. perhaps its just that maruti is in a situation in time now that the market is demaning things like airbags/abs etc and they decided to pitch them in.

nice review iraghava.
srik
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 09:13   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
Is there one? It isn't immediately apparent when you drive them, when you compare cars in the same bracket. As a company they were late entrants into the US market, and hence did not build up the deep pockets of Toyota and Honda, which both initially started as 'working class wheels'.
I somehow don't think it matters. What did Hyundai start with in India? What did matter however was the image drubbing they (Suzuki) got after the fiasco with the Suzuki Samurai (the Maruti Gypsy for us). A lot of people say that some of the top manufacturers (read Honda, Toyota, GM etc.) had a hand in this.

But they have some really good offerings in the US now.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 13th May 2007 at 09:14.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 09:39   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
...but some of us think that SRK's KBC is much better than AB's...
OT, that's my point too... most think otherwise

Last edited by msprabhakar : 13th May 2007 at 09:41.
msprabhakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 10:26   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Rear seat looks comfortable for 2 people only, 3 will be a squeeze.
This is really beginning to worry me now. I know it's hard to find a car that will comfortably seat two 6 footers one behind another - atleast in this segment. But, I'd expect atleast 3 people to be seated comfortably in the rear seat considering it is a C segment car. And BTW it's a huge car.

There are other cars out there(including other segments) with a center arm rest in the rear seat - are they all as uncomfortable for the 3rd person? Is this a seat design problem that MUL overlooked?
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 10:30   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
  • The wheels look HUGE!
Nicely summarized review. We can in anycase go for the ZXi normal version and have the leather upholstery fitted outside to our choice and color, that I think would be cheaper (may be) and a better option.
Brake calipers in almost all Indian cars are poorly finished unlike the porsche's and ferrari's, where they are a part of the design.
You can't expect shattering performance from a 1.6 litre 102 bhp engine pulling a car weighing in around 1200 kgs + load. From the reviews given on this thread, the performance is better than what I expected from the car, full marks here.
With two 6 footers sitting in the car, front and back, legroom would be a problem with almost all Indian midsizers, heck its a problem with Octavia too!
Sitting three at the back would be a little uncomfortable for the middle person, but then the seats are very comfortable if there are only 2 sitting at the back, which I think is the sensible option if there was to go for maruti. Maruti would have sacrificed a little comfort level for the two sitting behind, to make space for the third person, not the right decision IMHO.
Keep the review coming guys... I still havent been able to get behind the wheel of one, to much work in the office.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 13th May 2007 at 10:32.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2007, 12:00   #270
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is really beginning to worry me now. I know it's hard to find a car that will comfortably seat two 6 footers one behind another - atleast in this segment. But, I'd expect atleast 3 people to be seated comfortably in the rear seat considering it is a C segment car. And BTW it's a huge car.
A very small percentage of Indian cars are true 5 seaters. The rest are 4 = comfortable and 5 = squeeze.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote