Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th May 2007, 17:24   #301

Unhappy

Maruti should have facelifted the baleno and made it stay.Sx4 is in no way a replacement for baleno.I think i should wait for lancer cedia to lower the price by another 50k so that it comes within 7.5 lakhs ex showroom.For that price it would be a killer deal.I think low slung cars are slowly on their way out of the sedan market.This is really sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
OT - Technically, we should not call it the OMB, since there is no NMB
Ghostwhodrives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 17:59   #302
BHPian

After reading so many reviews of SX4 by different people, I am just wondering how much money did Maruti pay to NDTV to say so many good things about AC, rear seats etc in one of there Auto Show.

Saw the review on NDTV yesterday and could notice so many difference in opinions between them and our fellow BHPIANS
GD
greatDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 18:12   #303
Senior - BHPian

I drove the zxi at Spectra Automobiles in Vikhroli

The sales rep told me about some rule that Maruti had where he had to drive for some time so the customer gets a feel of the ride and can understand what it feels like to be a passenger. Its a stupid rule and I havent ever heard of it before buit it did give me a feel of what it would be like sitting at the back.

I didnt find the rear seats that bad. Actually they were quite comfortable if jsut four people are in the car. The rear seats are moulded to fit in four people and so you fit perfectly into the seats and the armrest jsut adds to the comfort.The fifth person wont be AS comfortable as the others but its not like the rear seats were bad or anything. The Ac was also pretty good though wasnt really anything special. I was sitting in the back seat for some time and didnt feel hot.

Last edited by khanak : 14th May 2007 at 18:23.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 18:19   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
The biggest cause of concern is the poor AC & poor rear seat....in my opinion.
Makes me wonder whether you even sat in the rear seat to come to such conclusions, the rear seat is pretty good save for the fact that accomodating a third person in the middle is not going to be comfortable chiefly because of the arm rest which isnt flush fit with the seat back, kinda hump.
Maruti could have gone the logan way and accomodated 3 in the rear but at the cost of other two and I am glad they did otherwise. How many times or how many car do you see on the roads with three people at the back? Hardly any.

Saying the rear seat is poor is taking things tooo far, a poor rear seat would be one in the alto or in the old zen which were like bench with no contours to speak of or perhaps you compared the SX4's rear seat to your favourite arm chair massager even in which case it wont be poor.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 14th May 2007 at 18:22.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 18:23   #305
BHPian

Well, I sat in the rear seat and compared it with the one in NHC, Optra and found it ok for 2 people but not for 3, even NHC has raised middle but its kinda soft and the 3rd person can sit if required, I am not sure the same can be said about SX4 rear seat though. Now if the rear seat is meant for only 2 & not 3, Maruti should not advertise SX4 with seating capacity of 5....

Though, the reason for sitting in the back were to check if AC was effective or not !!!
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 18:26   #306

Rear seats are moulded to fit in 4 people?!Did u mean 3 people.3 people can fit in,but wouldnt be comfortable going for a long drive with 3 at the rear.I have called up bimal motors for one more test drive.I hope the power hunger was because of some problem with the vehicle.I will post my findings after one more test drive.I decided so because i got call from one of the showrooms and i told them that the vehicle is very much underpowered and wouldnt like to go for it.But he told me that it could be a problem with Pradham's Test drive vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
I drove the zxi at Spectra Automobiles in Vikhroli

The sales rep told me about some rule that Maruti had where he had to drive for some time so the customer gets a feel of the ride and can understand what it feels like to be a passenger.

I didnt find the rear seats that bad. Actually they were quite comfortable if jsut four people are in the car. The rear seats are moulded to fit in four people and so you fit perfectly into the seats and the armrest jsut adds to the comfort.The fifth person wont be AS comfortable as the others but its not like the rear seats were bad or anything. The Ac was also pretty good though wasnt really anything special. I was sitting in the back seat for some time and didnt feel hot.
Ghostwhodrives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 18:27   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
OT - Technically, we should not call it the OMB, since there is no NMB
OT, but could not resist. How about calling the OMB the SX3?
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 18:50   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Well, I sat in the rear seat and compared it with the one in NHC, Optra and found it ok for 2 people but not for 3, even NHC has raised middle but its kinda soft and the 3rd person can sit if required, I am not sure the same can be said about SX4 rear seat though. Now if the rear seat is meant for only 2 & not 3, Maruti should not advertise SX4 with seating capacity of 5....

Though, the reason for sitting in the back were to check if AC was effective or not !!!
If santro can pass off as a 5 seater, why not SX4 and its hundred time better, even with that arm rest.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 19:16   #309
Senior - BHPian

Like I mentioned in my earlier post I drove the SX4 today at Spectra Automobiles in Vikrholi. I had just TDven the Logan and so that probably made me really like the SX4. Anyways heres my report

Exteriors:
The SX4 is pretty good looking. Its a lot better lookign that the NHC IMO. There are plenty of lines everywhere and that gives the SX4 a really muscular look. The boot is pretty high up and though it isnt as obvious as the City or the Indigo but if you really look at it, you can kinda make out that it was orignally a hatch. The wrap around headlamps and alloys remind you of a Corolla. One thing that I wasnt too sure about on the SX4 was the A pillar styling. It looks a little complicated though a lot better than in pictures. Overall the car has a nice modern and fresh look to it.

Interiors:
I really liked the interiors of the SX4. The AC vents, the gearknob and the handbrake lever(i think) are all from the Swift. The quality seemed quite nice and the cabin is pretty roomy thanks to the glass on the A pillar. Theres a lot to play around with in the cabin including controls on the steering wheel. The AC controls seemed to be of pretty good quality though the climate control lacks a screen. It has the temperature on a knob and you can set it usign that. In addition to this theres also another dial which kind of confused me. I think it showed the AC level and an AUTO option. Does this mean you can keep the AC on full the whole time and then decide to put it on climate control? Theres brushed aluminium on the sides of the centre console which really gives the interiors some class besides adding definition to the centre console. The zxi that I tested also had an integrated audio system which blended really well with the rest of the interiors. Iv read some complains about the AC and the rear seat of the car but like I mentioned in my other post.

Quote:

I didnt find the rear seats that bad. Actually they were quite comfortable if jsut four people are in the car. The rear seats are moulded to fit in two people and so you fit perfectly into the seats and the armrest jsut adds to the comfort.The fifth person wont be AS comfortable as the others but its not like the rear seats were bad or anything. The Ac was also pretty good though wasnt really anything special. I was sitting in the back seat for some time and didnt feel hot.
Besides this I really liked the feel of the steering wheel which I think is also from the Swift. The only thing which I didnt like about the interiors is hand brake lever which isnt mouled according to your fingers grip

Drive:
The SX4 drove pretty well. I didnt really get a chance to test the handling but the acceleration was pretty good. The torque wasnt as good as the Swift D but the SX4 is a lot more fun to drive. Even as you gain a little speed the SX4 seems really planted and confident. The rides pretty good and low NVH. The car was pretty easy to handle in traffic too and easily maneuverable. The engine is pretty responsive and overall the car is a pleasure to drive. Iv not driven the Baleno so I really cant compare it.

Conclusion:
The thing that really stands out with this car is VFM. Its a really nice overall package offering good amounts of everything at a pretty reasonable price. Iv not driven the NHC but on looks and feel alone Id go in for the SX4 which feels a lot more complete.
khanak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 19:29   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
In addition to this theres also another dial which kind of confused me. I think it showed the AC level and an AUTO option. Does this mean you can keep the AC on full the whole time and then decide to put it on climate control?
As I understand it, in auto mode it will regulate the fan speed also (in addition to the temperature) whereas if you twist it to the right you can set a fixed blower speed.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2007, 22:54   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Actually it has great elbow room. But the problem is that the middle seat is elevated for the armrest making it virtually impossible for the mid row passenger in the rear seat.
Sorry for bringing this up again. I do have a requirement where I may have to drive with 3 elders in the rear seat. But for this little problem I had almost decided that this would be the car I want to buy - it's
tall-boyish, got decent rear legroom, well equipped, fits my budget.

Would it be possible to do any kind of modification to facilitate a third person to sit comfortably in the rear seat?
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 11:13   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBlazer View Post
Sorry for bringing this up again. I do have a requirement where I may have to drive with 3 elders in the rear seat. But for this little problem I had almost decided that this would be the car I want to buy - it's
tall-boyish, got decent rear legroom, well equipped, fits my budget.

Would it be possible to do any kind of modification to facilitate a third person to sit comfortably in the rear seat?
Yes...your local seatwallah can do this job...dirt cheap.

I think this rear seat issue has blown out of proportion.
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 12:24   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think this rear seat issue has blown out of proportion.
I too think the same. All vehicles have rear arm rests and have the middle seat at the rear a little too high. If you notice all cars with arm rests the rear seat is not the perfect place to sit because of back position is uncomfortable there.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 12:36   #314
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Sheesh , just like any other thread this too is turning into a Honda V/S Suzi V/S toyota thread ..

Isn't it simple to understand , the SX4 provides a lot more goodies than the corolla and NHC vtec put together , its VFM so to speak .. Also those who are talking about bad rear seat I am beginning to wonder if you guys have actually taken a TD sitting at the rear or just sat for a 5-10 secs and pretending to know it all .. I have sat in the rear seat , that too in the middle for over 10kms ranging from smooth tarmac , to bad roads , to almost non-existant roads .. Its not as bad as you guys are making it out to be ..

Also did you guys fiddle with the AC controls before coming to the conclusion that the AC is bad ?? After having owned a baleno and having driven and sat passenger in that SX4 for over 60kms I dont see the point a few of you are trying to make ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 15th May 2007 at 12:39.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2007, 12:38   #315
Team-BHP Support

No actually the rear seat issue is pretty bad. just got a chance to sit in a SX4. I noticed not only is the seat in the centre raised but also the seat back is raised by a good 1.5inches.

the guy sitting in the middle not only sits higher but a little more forward as well.

Mcl you noticed the airbox, positioon of the air filter. It seems to right on top of the engine.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 15th May 2007 at 12:40.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote