Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2007, 15:21   #166
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 85
Thanked: 5 Times
Default SX4 pips Honda City in first month

Article in Financial Express:

SX4 pips Honda City in first month

NEW DELHI, JUN 6:
The six-year dominance of Honda City, one of the most successful mid-size premium cars on Indian roads, has been broken by Maruti-Suzuki’s latest offering, the SX4. According to figures for May, the SX4 (launched on May 7) sold 3,000 units, against 2,838 units by Honda City, hitherto the undisputed segment leader. The battle for supremacy between the Japanese automakers is likely to intensify with both sides expected to increase their sales tempo in the coming months. While for Honda it will be a fight to retain market dominance, for Suzuki, it will be a fight to create a presence in the coveted premium sedan category, a segment in which the company hasn’t had much success.


Jnaneswar Sen, senior sales general manager for Honda Siel, however, says not much should be read into the May sales numbers. “There has been some disturbance due to the SX4, but we feel it is transitional. Honda India had a five-day plant maintenance shutdown in May that affected actual production numbers,” he said.
Market analysts and dealers say the real test for SX4 will be in maintaining the lead. “Any new product has its own excitement, but it is imperative that the numbers are maintained once the euphoria dies down,” says an analyst.




Abdul Majeed, who tracks the automotive sector at PricewaterhouseCoopers, says a key reason for the SX4’s initial surge is because Suzuki “brought the right product at the right price”. However, he adds, “It will not be easy for Suzuki to hold on to the lead.”
Suzuki introduced the SX4 at a very competitive price, keeping the base variant Rs 50,000 cheaper than Honda City (at Rs Rs 6.18 lakh, ex-showroom Delhi). On the other hand, Honda’s entry-level model, the City ZX EXi, costs Rs 6.77 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).
hsejars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 17:04   #167
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 7
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hey guys,
I got my SX4 about a couple of weeks back and have driven about 800 kms on it. Just wanted to discuss the mileage of the car.
The first time I filled up with speed and got a mileage of 8.8. On the next tankful of regular petrol it gave me 8.67.
What have your experiences been with the mileage?
Do you think it will improve with time?

cheers,
\gC.
--------------
<2007 May - Suzuki SX4 Zxi>
<2006 May - Indica Turbo DLX>
<2002 January - Bajaj Pulsar 180>
geetaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 18:15   #168
BHPian
 
sathya_nars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 642
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Good to hear such sales numbers. But wondering if SX4 units (3000 as mentioned) were the delivered ones or just bookings. Looking at their delivery issues, hard to believe that they would have delivered 3000 units by now.

MUL needs to look into supply issues seriously, otherwise they will lose the numbers to NHC, even though they are competitive in price, features, etc.

Looking at History, despite same supply issues with Swift (that was worse than SX4), still it could reach lead position in its segment.

Lets us wait and see how SX4 does in sales in coming months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsejars View Post
Article in Financial Express:

SX4 pips Honda City in first month

NEW DELHI, JUN 6: The six-year dominance of Honda City, one of the most successful mid-size premium cars on Indian roads, has been broken by Maruti-Suzuki’s latest offering, the SX4. According to figures for May, the SX4 (launched on May 7) sold 3,000 units, against 2,838 units by Honda City, hitherto the undisputed segment leader. The battle for supremacy between the Japanese automakers is likely to intensify with both sides expected to increase their sales tempo in the coming months. While for Honda it will be a fight to retain market dominance, for Suzuki, it will be a fight to create a presence in the coveted premium sedan category, a segment in which the company hasn’t had much success.


Jnaneswar Sen, senior sales general manager for Honda Siel, however, says not much should be read into the May sales numbers. “There has been some disturbance due to the SX4, but we feel it is transitional. Honda India had a five-day plant maintenance shutdown in May that affected actual production numbers,” he said.
Market analysts and dealers say the real test for SX4 will be in maintaining the lead. “Any new product has its own excitement, but it is imperative that the numbers are maintained once the euphoria dies down,” says an analyst.




Abdul Majeed, who tracks the automotive sector at PricewaterhouseCoopers, says a key reason for the SX4’s initial surge is because Suzuki “brought the right product at the right price”. However, he adds, “It will not be easy for Suzuki to hold on to the lead.”
Suzuki introduced the SX4 at a very competitive price, keeping the base variant Rs 50,000 cheaper than Honda City (at Rs Rs 6.18 lakh, ex-showroom Delhi). On the other hand, Honda’s entry-level model, the City ZX EXi, costs Rs 6.77 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 20:00   #169
BHPian
 
sathya_nars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 642
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetaj View Post
Hey guys,
I got my SX4 about a couple of weeks back and have driven about 800 kms on it. Just wanted to discuss the mileage of the car.
The first time I filled up with speed and got a mileage of 8.8. On the next tankful of regular petrol it gave me 8.67.
What have your experiences been with the mileage?
Do you think it will improve with time?
Refer few of my posts in previous pages about mileage. I am getting atleast 10 in city till now and 12-14 average (this too without having sun control film yet). I used fill in Shell outlets. Which city are you in? May be owners in your city can throw their numbers if it is different across cities. But would it vary 2 kms? I doubt. May be you can look at your driving style or so. Also while giving for 1st service, report it. For me, they said MUL indicated them that it would give at least 10 in city for sure.

Last edited by sathya_nars : 8th June 2007 at 20:15.
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 02:41   #170
BHPian
 
spetnaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 83
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetaj View Post
Hey guys,
I got my SX4 about a couple of weeks back and have driven about 800 kms on it. Just wanted to discuss the mileage of the car.
The first time I filled up with speed and got a mileage of 8.8. On the next tankful of regular petrol it gave me 8.67.
What have your experiences been with the mileage?
My parents who are driving my new SX4 have reported a mileage of 14KMPL in highways (in bad roads without using fifth gear). The city mileage seems to be 11+ based on the initial driving we've done. The car has done about 600 kms till now.
spetnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 12:02   #171
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hey 1000W that was a good ice report.

I have the same red SX4 and was thinking the same bout the ICE. will hopefully have my sub installed this weekend and u surly are right bout changing the speakers. that should do a world of good. Did you have the amp and sub installed at lavelle road or did ya go elsewhere. Am planning on going to Pitstop opposite lifestyle.
chetan
Motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 12:11   #172
BHPian
 
TRANSAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MUMBAI
Posts: 558
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

good going sx 4 numbers by maruti, honda is getting a serious run for their money.3000 bkgs im sure, hardly see few around here.swithcing gears the FE mentioned by the dealers here is 10 in the city, is this accurate?
TRANSAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2007, 20:39   #173
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 18
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
Hey 1000W that was a good ice report.

I have the same red SX4 and was thinking the same bout the ICE. will hopefully have my sub installed this weekend and u surly are right bout changing the speakers. that should do a world of good. Did you have the amp and sub installed at lavelle road or did ya go elsewhere. Am planning on going to Pitstop opposite lifestyle.
chetan
Chetan,
As I said the only addition is monoblock and the sub and my sound quality has increased tremendously. I got this done at Lavelle road store.
I do feel the highs are still not upto the mark and was planning to add some comp tweeters at the rear. Personally I am not a big fan of very high "highs" makes me feel like sitting in an auto , typical Jhankar beat stuff .
I have read about the SX4 stock ice on other forums and almost everyone suggest changing the speakers. They have the 4x4 variant in the US and almost everyone recommend the same in that forum.
I would really change the ICE as the very last resort as I kinda like the very very neat integration which is extremenly diff to get with any kind of integration.
One point I missed out in my ICE report was the ability to play CD RWs, its really very good. My pioneer even though said will play RWs, I always had issues playing mp3, wma on a RW. The same CD when I put into the SX4 stock stereo played it without a fuss . I can now just rewrite the songs I need to listen to every couple of weels
Next report on ICE after I add tweeters and am also planning to sound proof the boot and doors!
1000w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 09:57   #174
Senior - BHPian
 
GeekSrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,279
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

sathya,

on the delivery front, maruti has publically accepted finally there is a delay. they are now openly accepting that customers are getting increasingly impatient. in todays papers, they have released this ad

GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 11:43   #175
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: hyderabad,london
Posts: 441
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

hey guys can any one tell what is the mileage of sx4..i heard that its giving 7 to 8 is it true
zenopio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 11:48   #176
Senior - BHPian
 
GeekSrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,279
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

zenopio, sathya here gets 10kmpl. mostly it depends on the way you drive it. with or without a/c, rip or no rip, with or witout light foot on pedal etc. definitely it will give 10, and maybe more as time goes by.
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 12:15   #177
BHPian
 
gt_bhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 121
Thanked: Once
Default

Nice to know that MUL has acknowledged that they have just not anticipated the public's enthusiasm for the SX4 !
GeekSrik, seeing the ad must've seemed like manna from heaven to you! Hope to see a ownership report soon!
gt_bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 15:09   #178
Senior - BHPian
 
GeekSrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,279
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

well not exactly gt-bhp, it only says all customers have to wait. thats not going to lift my spirits. anyways by monday i ll get to know more....
GeekSrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 22:56   #179
BHPian
 
sathya_nars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 642
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Yup saw it, was about to put it here. I guess, this is good move by Khattar to keep us atleast informed about what he is up to. Guess, dealers must have complained about shoutings from buyers for the delay and he wanted to talk to all of them in one shot.

Anyway, this atleast shows good sign that deliveries may be faster, lets see how it goes.

BTW, had very bad day today. multiple small accidents, left side mirror is broken, bent in back bumper, scratches, etc - auto fellow smashed mirrors and at Iskon temple, few vehicles dashed mine (when I was inside temple, noticed it when I was back) - need to claim insurance for the damages .

How much ever carefully I drive, can't avoid accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
sathya,

on the delivery front, maruti has publically accepted finally there is a delay. they are now openly accepting that customers are getting increasingly impatient. in todays papers, they have released this ad

sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2007, 22:58   #180
BHPian
 
sathya_nars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 642
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
well not exactly gt-bhp, it only says all customers have to wait. thats not going to lift my spirits. anyways by monday i ll get to know more....
All the best!! Remember onething from ad. SX4 VXi is ready to meet demand, Zxi won't be too far.
sathya_nars is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Took the delivery of FORTUNER & Accent!!! caroholic1 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 35 31st August 2009 23:38
TATA Safari GX Delivery period/should I chuck it? (EDIT: Now post delivery issues!) vivek.singh.73 The Indian Car Scene 108 27th July 2009 22:09
i10 took delivery and upgraded with new tyres and alloys jango Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 60 17th April 2009 18:35
Took delivery of my Verna CRDi and enjoying it, 300 km report diffsoft Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 25 5th March 2008 23:10
sx4 delivery issues sathya_nars Indian Car Dealerships 32 25th September 2007 12:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:21.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks